Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What rank do you think our defense will be next year
1-5 3 2.91%
6-10 9 8.74%
11-15 38 36.89%
16-20 37 35.92%
21-25 10 9.71%
26-30 5 4.85%
31-32 1 0.97%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2005   #1
Davis37
All Pro

Default Our New Defense

I know that its too early too really have a good idea, but how good do you think our new defense will be?
Old 04-27-2005   #2
Davis37
All Pro

i guess im gonna have to keep posting in here to keep it near the top of the list.
Old 04-27-2005   #3
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

11-15. Closer to 15 though.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #4
TMac48
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TMac48

16-20. Im thinking 19-20. The amount of speed we now have makes me excited. But with all the new players coming in and the changes in position, their will be a learning curve.
TMac48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #5
Davis37
All Pro

looks like some of us think we are gonna be alot better this year... Or could they just be homers?
Old 04-27-2005   #6
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis37
looks like some of us think we are gonna be alot better this year... Or could they just be homers?
We were 15th in points allowed last year. We got faster with Greenwood and PB. Younger with Glenn and Sharper cut. PB has better mitts for INTs than Glenn(but isnt as good as a cover guy when he isnt on). Babin, Dunta and Earl all have another year of experience. Wong is moving back to the position he should be playing.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #7
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
We were 15th in points allowed last year. We got faster with Greenwood and PB. Younger with Glenn and Sharper cut. PB has better mitts for INTs than Glenn(but isnt as good as a cover guy when he isnt on). Babin, Dunta and Earl all have another year of experience. Wong is moving back to the position he should be playing.
Im not trying to say that we wont be better, but just cause we are younger/faster doesnt mean that we will be better. If you go by that rule then we should sign Randy Moss to play ILB and he will take us to the superbowl cause he is fast... Younger/faster doesnt mean more skilled. Also, just because Bana, Dunta and Earl are more experienced doesnt always mean they will be better. I think they will, but you can never be sure. I agree that Wong will be put in his true spot (where he played in Minnesota) and hopefully he will strive. Im not trying to be one of those doomsday posters, im just trying to put some reason into some of these homers heads. They think just cause we are younger/faster means that we are going to the promised land or something. Remember we have 4 new people on defense this year. PB is new to our def, Peek has never started, Wong is starting at ILB for the first time with us, and Greenwood is totally new. Hopefully our D can work hard in training camp and come out strong. I sure hope so!
Old 04-27-2005   #8
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we will be a middle of the pack defense (15-19) and close to an upper 1/3 offense (10-14). That should translate into an 8-8 or 9-7 team with an outside chance at 10-6. That would be close to the playoffs. Probably not there, but close. Progress.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #9
Davis37
All Pro

Well, if our defense is alot better from the youth/speed we've added then we should go 9-7 10-6, but if they use all their speed to run around like morons and not tackle anybody, at least it will be fun to watch!!
Old 04-27-2005   #10
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

I think that the d line will live up to their contracts, the LB corps will be running down play and the secondary will be as good as last year.
Old 04-28-2005   #11
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

11-15, but top 20 almost guaranteed ! while youth and speed don't equal skill, they do get you to the person with the ball faster; ie. the quarterback. while our secondary will get beat deep ocassionally, the rush of our front seven will force mistake's (that turn into turnovers) like you won't believe. i think our 'D' will be very disruptive and caper's will get to finally play his style of risk/reward defense. this consist's of blitzes, blitzes and more blitzes to his hearts content. we will be young...but we will be dangerous

ps. look for babin to play with a chip on his shoulder now that he is comfortable as an NFL starter, he is going to be one bad man next year

pps. i think our biggest weakness will be against the run, but we will be adeqaute and hover around 100 yds a game average (+/- 5 yds). with a constant rotation of our big 3 up front, and the LB/DB speed dramatically increased, we will get to the ball carrier quickly and frequently. we have a pretty good diversity in the number of smash mouth guys (babin, payne, walker, smith, peek, d-rob, earl, wong) v wrap up guys (greenwood, PB, faggins, coleman) but the wrap up guys will get run at, and consequently over, ALOT more.

Last edited by jr0ck; 04-28-2005 at 02:06 AM. Reason: forgot run 'D'
jr0ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #12
Davis37
All Pro

Im supprised that 2 people voted for 6-10... We may improve on def this year, but thats a hell of a jump!
Old 04-28-2005   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I seem to remember the defense wearing down from being out on the field too much because the offense was 1 or 2 & out, not sustaining much production and clock eating ability. all the emphasis this off season has been on the defense so while they should be improved possibly top 10 material, the offense will skew the numbers dropping them to around 20.

Funny the defense will hinge in large part to how effective the Texans offesnive line is
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #14
duece
Rookie

16-20 lack of a clear cut #2 wr will have the defense on the field way too much. but we are younger/faster..and argueablly more talented. p-buch may not have been in the league a long time but he as shown that given the opputunity he can and will make big plays for you. d-rob is solid top to bottom, i think in another year he will be a consistant pro bowler. you may need to learn a system but denfense is one thing finding the ball, getting to it quickly and making a play when you get there. i think with the defense we have right now we will be able to do that. i say take the reigns off the horses and let them RUN!!!
Old 04-28-2005   #15
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
I seem to remember the defense wearing down from being out on the field too much because the offense was 1 or 2 & out, not sustaining much production and clock eating ability. all the emphasis this off season has been on the defense so while they should be improved possibly top 10 material, the offense will skew the numbers dropping them to around 20.

Funny the defense will hinge in large part to how effective the Texans offesnive line is
I agree. Our def is dependant on our offense to keep them off the field as much as possible. Last year we had way too many 3 and outs.

I cant believe that some1 actually voted 1-5 on the poll...
Old 04-28-2005   #16
wiley2002
Veteran

1-5 is TOO mu much at this point. 6-10 is still a bit high. I say more along the 11-15 or the 16-20 margin.
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #17
z0rpAn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to z0rpAn Send a message via MSN to z0rpAn Send a message via Yahoo to z0rpAn

id say 6-10 now, we now have the speed to handle the colts offensive packages, now as long as they show skill in stopping them wed be the one of the few to handle the colts, seems like thats what the office is wanting to beat.
z0rpAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #18
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

We were between 20 and 25 last year; so with the increase of speed, and considering the adjustment time for the new players. I think a jump to the 16 to 20 range would be a good step in the right direction.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #19
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man
We were between 20 and 25 last year; so with the increase of speed, and considering the adjustment time for the new players. I think a jump to the 16 to 20 range would be a good step in the right direction.
Thats what I was thinking. 11-15 would be a stretch.
Old 04-28-2005   #20
Davis37
All Pro

We got a pretty close race going on here.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read