Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-29-2011   #41
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Atlanta has the second ranked rushing defense in the league

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Ok, I get that they have the second ranked rushing defense in the league BUT....

When their pass defense is ranked that much lower than the rushing side that begs the question "Are they that good or are teams just not running on them because they're too easy to pass against?" It's a pass first league for the most part. All we've been hearing about all year is how the Texans are running more than everyone else. Atlanta hasn't faced a running game like ours yet.

This past week they got a typical Chris Johnson effort from Tennessee (he sucked). The week before that Pierre Thomas averaged 4.8 a carry against them. The week before that they had their Colts bye week so no threat of being run or passed on there. In week 8 they were idle. In week 7 the Lions had Williams pick up 4.9 a carry and Morris 5.6

They aren't that great against the run. I think it's a statistical illusion. They're just easier to pick apart with the pass. I predict Foster & Tate will get it done and Yates will have an unexpectedly comfortable first start.
yep, its almost like being afraid of the Browns since they have a highly ranked passing defense. No offense to the Browns (ironic since the Browns have no offense but teams run at will on them. Did the Browns passing defense lead them to victory over us? nah....we won 30-12

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Atlanta has only beaten two over 500 teams this year, Detroit and Tennessee. If Schaub was the QB, I'd say Atlanta isn't a problem. Given the current situation, ANY team we face is gonna be an up hill road.
We've only beaten two over .500 teams, Pittsburgh & Tennessee.
Old 11-29-2011   #43
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm with Herv.

Taken a step further, Atlanta has only faced 1 team who can compare to Houstons rushing attack. Chicago in week 1, who didn't really utilize Forte for the first 4 or 5 games like they should. Any other team they've faced, either has a sub-par run game OR their passing attack is simply their strength. Or they Suck and Atlanta gets a quick lead and teams simply have to throw.
Atlanta's ranking is inflated.

Additionally, Atlanta has no pass rush to speak of. They kind of remind me of Houston a couple of years ago.(poor dunta...lol). Remember how Houston last year would let QB's like McNabb or Gradkowski look like Pro-bowlers?

TJ will be fine.
Old 11-29-2011   #44
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11706 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=El Tejano;1838768]I think the matchup we have to look at in the pass game is not our WR vs. Their CBs but out TE vs. their LBs. Don't know much about that match up but OD and Dreesen are having some good seasons. Anyone know about their LBs? Does ATL run a 3-4?[/QUOTE]

They run a 4-3 according to their depth chart on their web page at NFL.com.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #45
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _superMario90_ View Post
I'm with Herv.

Taken a step further, Atlanta has only faced 1 team who can compare to Houstons rushing attack. Chicago in week 1, who didn't really utilize Forte for the first 4 or 5 games like they should. Any other team they've faced, either has a sub-par run game OR their passing attack is simply their strength. Or they Suck and Atlanta gets a quick lead and teams simply have to throw.
Atlanta's ranking is inflated.

Additionally, Atlanta has no pass rush to speak of.
They kind of remind me of Houston a couple of years ago.(poor dunta...lol). Remember how Houston last year would let QB's like McNabb or Gradkowski look like Pro-bowlers?

TJ will be fine.
Somehow they managed to get 4 last week.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #46
MistaRed
All Pro

Rep Power: 13090 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Not that impressive considering they were playing the Vikings.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #47
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
Not that impressive considering they were playing the Vikings.
And they've given up only 20.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2011   #48
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 43676 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

For those of you who think Atlanta's run defense is an illusion, I'd suggest you reconsider. They are stout against the run. They have a decent DLine with strong DEs. Better pass rushers than against the run, but the Falcons' LBers are among the most athletic, sideline to sideline, in the league. They defend space very well - they gave Sproles fits all game long and really handled the Saints screen game, which is generally considered one of our strengths.

In our game this year, Atlanta tackled very well - very disciplined and showed good form. I was impressed.

I think, though, the Texans can run on them - and I hope that's the case. It's a stronger running game than we have in NO, but at #8, the Saints' rushing attack is no slouch. Thomas, Sproles, and Ingram along with our OLine has performed well, especially in recent weeks.

And it was tough sledding that game.

Nevertheless, Texans have a stronger running game and should (I hope) have more success - you have the personnel and talent to do so. I just don't know that it's a gimme, nor do I think you're giving enough credit to Atlanta's front 7.

As for the poster fearing Julio Jones vs. KJ - I know KJ is given a rough time around here, but JJ isn't a worldbeater yet and he doesn't have a QB that can really stretch the field to take advantage of the speed JJ has.

Matt Ryan is an overrated QB with a pretty weak arm who isn't all that accurate and/or confident deep down the field. He's got a TE that he leans on a lot.

And Turner is a legit runner.

The defense will be challenged in the middle of the field in short-to-medium distance.

It's gonna be a close game, but I believe (and hope) y'all pull it out.
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #49
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
How much would I like to get Dunta singled up on AJ......
NOT AT ALL. DR is a dirty player that leads with his head. I would rather not see Dre get hurt becuase of that POS.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #50
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
NOT AT ALL. DR is a dirty player that leads with his head. I would rather not see Dre get hurt becuase of that POS.
If that's the case, a majority of the NFL is dirty. Form tackling went out the window years ago. It's all about the big hit now, which unfortunately, has lead to head first hitting.
Old 11-29-2011   #51
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 43676 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

one more thing to keep an eye on: the WR pushoff

I don't know that I've ever seen a group of WRs who do it as much (and blatantly) as the group in ATL.

It will happen. It won't get called. It will piss you off.
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #52
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorOye View Post
one more thing to keep an eye on: the WR pushoff

I don't know that I've ever seen a group of WRs who do it as much (and blatantly) as the group in ATL.

It will happen. It won't get called. It will piss you off.
Yeah. Roddy White is the king of the push-off.

Texans 20-10 though.
Old 11-29-2011   #53
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans will lose to the Falcons. They're playing pretty well right now and they're in a "must win" mode to get into the playoffs in the tough NFC. They've got Ryan and we'll have Yates playing which doesn't excite me in this match up. They're a tough team that has had a few tough losses at the end of the game, and I think they'll capitalize on the Texans lack of a passing game when we play. I hope That I'm wrong though.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #54
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Witherspoon and Lofton are both good LBs and it would be silly to just discount them. However their defense does have obvious flaws, and I am interested in seeing how Dennis and Kubiak attack this team coming into Houston.

I want to see an expanded playbook for Yates as well.
Old 11-29-2011   #55
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the crowd will be rocking on Sunday and will help the defense in a big defensive battle. I'm thinking 13-9 Houston will be the final.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #56
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
On the contrary, under the circumstances this is a game we didn't necessarlly expect to win anyway even with Matt Schaub under center.
We've got a 2-game lead and this is a game we can afford to lose. Just so the kid dosen't lose his confidance if we get behind real bad and he gets a
pass-rush that might overwhelm him ?
who is "WE" white man?

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #57
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
They have 23.5 on the season. Their own fan base expresses concerns on their lack of rush.

4 against the Vike's was an epiphany. I wouldn't hang my hat on that one. Without AP, the vikes get down 17-0 into known passing situations where you have no recievers not named Harvin.

But I'll concede, as 4 is 4. Atlanta has a Pass rush
Old 11-29-2011   #58
Iceman16
Veteran

Rep Power: 372 Iceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream34 View Post
It's going to be a tough game, this one and Cincinnati, that's why I believe we will lose the next two weeks, than win out the last three.
Cincinnati sucked before Leon Hall went on IR, now they're even worse. We can still beat them with Yates, and I expect us to beat them.
Iceman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #59
Iceman16
Veteran

Rep Power: 372 Iceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
Brent Grimes is no slouch at the other corner. He's a ballhawk
Grimes is one of the better corners in the entire league.
Iceman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #60
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman16 View Post
Grimes is one of the better corners in the entire league.
He left last game with a knee injury in the 1st quarter and I don't think he returned. We'll see if he's a practice tomorrow.

Leon Hall is hurt, the best corner for Cincy who we play the following week.

We sure could use all the luck we can get.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read