Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-29-2011   #21
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Atlanta has the second ranked rushing defense in the league

I think Foster and Tate will go over 100 combined, but not alone, and much of that will come on a few big runs. It's going to take Yates being ready to throw the ball around. They're going to have to deal with our D too, so they're not going to just score at will. We can't play conservative O and win this game--not for much of it anyway. Yates will have to make some plays.

We can afford to lose this one (and the next, for that matter) and make the playoffs, but a win would sure say a lot about whether we can actually compete in the playoffs. Despite the frustrating problems we're having, I'm still holding a thin thread of hope that we can actually compete in the playoffs, but Yates's gotta be ready.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #22
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm praying for a miracle.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #23
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the matchup we have to look at in the pass game is not our WR vs. Their CBs but out TE vs. their LBs. Don't know much about that match up but OD and Dreesen are having some good seasons. Anyone know about their LBs? Does ATL run a 3-4?
Old 11-29-2011   #24
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
Brent Grimes is no slouch at the other corner. He's a ballhawk
He's injured, too. Knee problem had him with only three snaps against Minny last week. Dunta left the game once, too, but did come back. Dominique Franks and Chris Owens would be about the best possible scenario for Yates to let it fly.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #25
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteANDblue View Post
Kareem Jackson vs. Julio Jones....

Yeah we're screwed.
Dunta Robinson vs Andre Johnson...

We have a chance.
Old 11-29-2011   #26
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I think the matchup we have to look at in the pass game is not our WR vs. Their CBs but out TE vs. their LBs. Don't know much about that match up but OD and Dreesen are having some good seasons. Anyone know about their LBs? Does ATL run a 3-4?
Daniels and Dreeson are like Mr. Just-Get-It-Done 1 and 2. I know I'd be looking to feed the TEs scoring machine if it was me. I don't think I knew the value of TE's at all until these guys came along. Foster owes a LOT to those two for burning defenses time after time. Respect them or else.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #27
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Didn't they say something similar about the Steelers?
That was then, this is now. I would hate to go into this game resting on past laurels.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2011   #28
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.madduxsports.com/nfl-odds.php
&&&&&
Current line has ATL a 2.5 - 3 point favorite.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #29
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
That was then, this is now. I would hate to go into this game resting on past laurels.
I don't think our defenses mentality does that at all and it's contagious to the team. In a strange way I almost feel as if these circumstances are beneficial from the standpoint that the team isn't getting big headed on a 5 game win streak and they are staying more focused on the one game task at hand.
Old 11-29-2011   #30
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Daniels and Dreeson are like Mr. Just-Get-It-Done 1 and 2. I know I'd be looking to feed the TEs scoring machine if it was me. I don't think I knew the value of TE's at all until these guys came along. Foster owes a LOT to those two for burning defenses time after time. Respect them or else.
So do you have an idea what LBs would be covering them.
Old 11-29-2011   #31
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
We better be prepared for a stark reality. The Falcons haven’t allowed a 100-yard rusher in 14 consecutive games, a streak that stretches back to last season. The Falcons are allowing 83.5 rushing yards per game this season.

Also, keep in mind that the Falcons have not been the slouch on offense that many would have you think. They have scored an average of 23.5 points per game as opposed to their opponents' 20.6 points. Relying solely on our D to save our rears may not be a very good bet
I'm hoping for a 'squeaker' win, but preparing for a crushing loss. This could get really ugly even if Kubiak dials up the playbook.
Old 11-29-2011   #32
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

What I think when people say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Oh ye of little faith.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW5Dxizy4ZE

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #33
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

The current line is Atlanta favored by one point (on the road in Houston):

http://sportsdirect.usatoday.com/odds/nfl.aspx
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #34
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Sure wish Andre was at full speed.
Old 11-29-2011   #35
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I don't think our defenses mentality does that at all and it's contagious to the team. In a strange way I almost feel as if these circumstances are beneficial from the standpoint that the team isn't getting big headed on a 5 game win streak and they are staying more focused on the one game task at hand.
I was trying to say that not focusing somewhat more this game on the passing aspect of our game would be a mistake.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #36
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Atlanta has only beaten two over 500 teams this year, Detroit and Tennessee. If Schaub was the QB, I'd say Atlanta isn't a problem. Given the current situation, ANY team we face is gonna be an up hill road.
They beat the Lions at home and almost lost to the mediocre Titans after falling behind 20-3 on the road. The Falcons aren't a very good road team for the most part. Seattle scored 28 on them in Seattle. I think we win this game, but it will be a close one.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #37
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 223599 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
They beat the Lions at home and almost lost to the mediocre Titans after falling behind 20-3 on the road. The Falcons aren't a very good road team for the most part. Seattle scored 28 on them in Seattle. I think we win this game, but it will be a close one.
I would love it if Yates does enough to beat Atlanta. If he does, in his first ever NFL start, then at that time I would begin to have hope again for the playoffs lasting more than one game.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #38
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Vinny your optimism this year has been scary but accurate so I'm staying on your side.
Old 11-29-2011   #39
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
The Texans may have to throw it quite a bit more than they'd like to, especially since the Falcons will almost certainly be stacking the box and daring Yates to beat them with his arm.

The Falcons passing defense is ranked 25th.

I'd love nothing more than to see TJ pick on our good old buddy Dunta......

Ok, I get that they have the second ranked rushing defense in the league BUT....

When their pass defense is ranked that much lower than the rushing side that begs the question "Are they that good or are teams just not running on them because they're too easy to pass against?" It's a pass first league for the most part. All we've been hearing about all year is how the Texans are running more than everyone else. Atlanta hasn't faced a running game like ours yet.

This past week they got a typical Chris Johnson effort from Tennessee (he sucked). The week before that Pierre Thomas averaged 4.8 a carry against them. The week before that they had their Colts bye week so no threat of being run or passed on there. In week 8 they were idle. In week 7 the Lions had Williams pick up 4.9 a carry and Morris 5.6

They aren't that great against the run. I think it's a statistical illusion. They're just easier to pick apart with the pass. I predict Foster & Tate will get it done and Yates will have an unexpectedly comfortable first start.
Old 11-29-2011   #40
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

I sure hope you're right Herv.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read