Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kubiak Won't Rule Out Favre

TexansFanatic

Extremist
Kubiak confirms Leinart done for season, won’t rule out Favre
Posted by Josh Alper on November 28, 2011, 5:00 PM EST

It came as no surprise that Texans coach Gary Kubiak confirmed quarterback Matt Leinart will miss the rest of the season during his Monday press conference.

Everyone knew that was coming. They also know that the Texans are down to T.J. Yates and Kellen Clemens at quarterback, leaving themselves awfully short at an awfully important position for the stretch run. That’s led to ruminations about veteran quarterbacks like Sage Rosenfels, Daunte Culpepper and a certain Wrangler wearing man from Mississippi.

G.M. Rick Smith seemed to stamp out any Brett Favre speculation when he said that the team didn’t want to bring the circus to town. Favre, via Peter King of NBC, also made it sound like there wasn’t much chance of a return to the NFL this season. That didn’t stop Kubiak from getting a question about Favre at his press conference. His answer wasn’t nearly as definitive.

“I don’t think you rule out anybody . . . I’m not going to rule out anybody nor confirm anybody.”

Before anyone decides to start camping out on Favre’s lawn, we should point out that Kubiak also said that the job is Yates’ right now. That means the results of next week’s game will probably have a lot to do with what course the Texans decide to follow the rest of the season. Thanks to Kubiak’s answer, Favre’s name will remain in discussion through that game even if the chances of him arriving in Houston don’t seem all that great at present.

LINK

Not gonna happen. NO CIRCUS! And that's exactly what it'd be. I'm going with Rick Smith on this one.

Farve ain't coming here or anywhere else. I think the NFL did what I expected it to do to him in the end. His only terms of surrender were for the game to take him out in action. That it did, and I think he's done and at home enjoying his real retirement.

Not gonna happen. NO CIRCUS! And that's exactly what it'd be. I'm going with Rick Smith on this one.

Nice to see Rick and Gary on the same page on this.... oh wait.

Maybe in the context that every other person who has ever held a football and propelled it forward intentionally or unintentionally, was to mysteriously die, then no we could not rule out Favre as an option.

Way to cover your bases Gary.

We have a chance to make some noise in the playoffs. I don't want to try playing with a rookie, especially one who hasn't played all year. No way the FO does either, they are just giving the party line. If Favre is the best shot available, get him. BTW, I don't like Favre either, but I sure don't want Clemens or Yates to drown us when we have a shot at it.

The article could have just as accurately entitled: Kubiak Won't Confirm Texans are Seeking Favre.

What he did say, time and again, was that T.J.Yates IS our Starter. Also said that anyone who gets picked up will be the #2 or #3 QB.

/thread

I'd love to bring in Favre. One of my favorite players of all time and it would be a dream to see him as a Texan if he could still play.

I think he is far to old now though, and it's way to late in the season to think that Favre could just waltz in here and be playoff ready. Boy would it be hilarious to see so many Favre bashers all of a sudden have to root for him though. That would be something to see.

I'm a little late to this conversation, but can someone enlighten me as to how a known failbomb (complete with a media circus and a gargantuan ego) is an improvement over T.J. Yates? I think we are acting a little more desperate than we need to. Hell, why not dig up David Carr somehow? He did have a year under Kubiak's system, afterall. :sarcasm:

Chill out guys...let's not throw T.J. Yates out with the bathwater just yet, the kid may have something to show us. If he sucks, he sucks - but even if he is Ryan Leaf bad, there is no good to be had by bringing in Favre and his mobile phone.

Really you think some people would learn, If the past tries are any indication. :kitten: Farve needs to stay retired i do not want to see him turn this quality team into the three ring circus.

Made for TV in the making. Favre fired by GB then bounces around the league retires then emergency call from Houston. Favre comes in takes us to the Superbowl to play GB. It would be called the Revenge Bowl.

I am not sure if Favre is an option at this point however; for those not wanting the so called "circus" please remember that Brett's "circus"

A) Put the losing New York Jets back on the NFL map with an 8-3 record and if not for the arm injury, they were probably headed deep into the playoffs. Coincidently they have been a potentially contending team ever since !

B) Took the Minnesota Vikings The to within one game of the SB in one of the most exciting Viking seasons in at least a decade.

C) Brought countless of extra million dollars of revenue to each franchise.

* ) The Texans QB situation does not require the same amount of risk taking that was required of Favre in either of those franchises so his experience and a bit of solid play could very easily be enough to put us over the top !!

Just my opinion but I would gladly take the media circus that comes with Brett because these windows of opportunity to have a legitimate shot at the SB are rare for most teams; so you have to take a shot at "every bit of advantage" you can put your hands on to potentially put you over the edge !!

I would knock on Brett's door to take a shot rather than take the "politically correct safe route" but I have also learned the hard way in over 20 years of gambling that you will never finish first in a Major Tournament by playing it safe if you are fortunate enough to get to the edge of a final table !!!1

Made for TV in the making. Favre fired by GB then bounces around the league retires then emergency call from Houston. Favre comes in takes us to the Superbowl to play GB. It would be called the Revenge Bowl.

Exactly why I really don't want him here. Everyone will talk about Brett's legacy, not the Texans. Let's do it with TJ and then we'll be able to say the Texans run the effin show in this league.

I don't want Farve anywhere near the Texans. He was once a great QB that turned into an interception machine. Do. Not. Want.

I am not sure if Favre is an option at this point however; for those not wanting the so called "circus" please remember that Brett's "circus"

A) Put the losing New York Jets back on the NFL map with an 8-3 record and if not for the arm injury, they were probably headed deep into the playoffs. Coincidently they have been a potentially contending team ever since !

B) Took the Minnesota Vikings The to within one game of the SB in one of the most exciting Viking seasons in at least a decade.

C) Brought countless of extra million dollars of revenue to each franchise.

* ) The Texans QB situation does not require the same amount of risk taking that was required of Favre in either of those franchises so his experience and a bit of solid play could very easily be enough to put us over the top !!

Just my opinion but I would gladly take the media circus that comes with Brett because these windows of opportunity to have a legitimate shot at the SB are rare for most teams; so you have to take a shot at "every bit of advantage" you can put your hands on to potentially put you over the edge !!

I would knock on Brett's door to take a shot rather than take the "politically correct safe route" but I have also learned the hard way in over 20 years of gambling that you will never finish first in a Major Tournament by playing it safe if you are fortunate enough to get to the edge of a final table !!!1

No, but he will still risk it over and over again. Against the Jags the other day, he would have tried to thread the needle way to many times and thrown pick after pick when all we needed was to keep their higher scoring defense off the field. If that sounds backwards, it is; it's the Jags.

No, but he will still risk it over and over again. Against the Jags the other day, he would have tried to thread the needle way to many times and thrown pick after pick when all we needed was to keep their higher scoring defense off the field. If that sounds backwards, it is; it's the Jags.

I could be wrong but I don't think Favre has had the opportunity to play behind a defense that has only given up 179 points at this stage of the season in quite some time. The Texans D would take the pressure off him trying to always make the comebacks as he has had to in the past. Just a thought :texflag:

Back