Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Daunte Culpepper, still waiting for a call

srrono

All Pro
With Houston down to T.J. Yates and Kellen Clemens and either Brodie Croyle or Sage Rosenfels or maybe Dan Pastorini, it’s critical that the Texans add a quarterback with veteran postseason experience, if the team hopes to have a good experience in the postseason.

They’ve scratched Favre off the list, sort of. And for good reason. It would indeed be a circus if Favre were to roll into town. 41-year-old Jeff Garcia got a workout last Monday, but the team opted for Clemens. Unless Garcia was in horrible shape, the value of his game - and playoff - experience shouldn’t be underestimated.

Then there’s Daunte Culpepper. He has four career playoff games, he’s seven years younger than Garcia, and Culpepper remains in shape and ready to play.

“I have been preparing all summer and have continued to work out six days a week throughout this season, waiting for an opportunity to show a team that I am ready, willing and able to contribute where I am needed,” Culpepper told PFT by email.

So why not bring the guy in for a workout? If the Texans fear he simply doesn’t have it, why not make that determination based on an evaluation of what he currently has?

I’m not saying the Texans definitely should sign him. I’m simply saying that they should kick his tires, and compare his resume to those of the guys who currently are on the roster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/28/daunte-culpepper-still-waiting-for-a-call/

Good lord Culpepper??? Man, that idea is about as insane as the David Carr one. For the last few years that Culpepper played I nicknamed him Handicapp because his footwork was so bad as a passer. After that guy got hurt and traded to the Dolphins he was one of the worst QB's of the decade at that point. He hasn't played in years either.

He will continue to wait too. The last 4 teams he has been with told you all you need to know about his career. He hasn't been the same guy since that knee injury. Its sad that a potentially great career was wrecked by an injury.

Good lord Culpepper??? Man, that idea is about as insane as the David Carr one. For the last few years that Culpepper played I nicknamed him Handicapp because his footwork was so bad as a passer. After that guy got hurt and traded to the Dolphins he was one of the worst QB's of the decade at that point. He hasn't played in years either.

I am kinda thinking reporters are just reaching at straws and seeing what grabs headlines.

I think if you bring guys in to take a look at then you go ahead and send him a plane ticket too.

Not because you think he's necessarily going to suddenly solve all of your problems because he won't. He can't.

You do it to shut up those who feel that you didn't do your due dilligence when you went looking for a backup QB for Yates. You do it for the same reason that you discussed Favre on the plane back from Jacksonville and then made a point of telling people that you talked about Favre on the plane back from Jacksonville.

It's sink or swim with TJ Yates now and all this other stuff is just about finding someone to come in if we lose him. Nobody really wants to see Owen Daniels taking snaps in a real game.

Let him continue to wait.

He has not been good for years, besides it would take him till this time next year to learn the system.

Yates is clearly the starter this coming week and maybe the following week at minimum. Even if you found a guy you thought could help you, it'll take that much time to learn the playbook and run the offense.

At this point I'd consider an out-of-work veteran as little more than insurance, even as I hope Yates does well enough that the insurance turns out to be unneeded.

He will continue to wait too. The last 4 teams he has been with told you all you need to know about his career. He hasn't been the same guy since that knee injury. Its sad that a potentially great career was wrecked by an injury.

His career was never great. He had a few seasons where his numbers were nice, but that was only because he was throwing to Moss and Carter at the time. Even when he had seasons where he had pretty good stats, Culpepper always made some of the dumbest mistakes that would cost his team games. Moss had made a comment one time saying that Culpepper was the dumbest QB he had ever played with in his life.

It's interesting that most of you would go with a shot out Brett Farve & Jeff Garcia both are over 40 over a a guy who had some great seasons until the injury bug hit him and he still only 34 years of age who might have a little more in the tank than those other QB's. What would a workout hurt to see if he could help our team. Some of you guys just cringe at the thought of a black quarterback leading the texans.

It's interesting that most of you would go with a shot out Brett Farve & Jeff Garcia both are over 40 over a a guy who had some great seasons until the injury bug hit him and he still only 34 years of age who might have a little more in the tank than those other QB's. What would a workout hurt to see if he could help our team. Some of you guys just cringe at the thought of a black quarterback leading the texans.

Culpepper's Black? What does that have to do with anything? Playing the race card is soooo overdone! Way to overlook the fact that he has done next to nothing in the past few years just to accomodate your racial agenda.

There's a difference between a good QB and having a QB that's black to satisfy your needs. Didn't work for the presidency because just like I'd much rather have a Vick than a Culpepper, yeah I said it, I'd also rather have a Cain than an Obama....Neither are likely to happen though.

weak.

I think if you bring guys in to take a look at then you go ahead and send him a plane ticket too.

Not because you think he's necessarily going to suddenly solve all of your problems because he won't. He can't.

You do it to shut up those who feel that you didn't do your due dilligence when you went looking for a backup QB for Yates. You do it for the same reason that you discussed Favre on the plane back from Jacksonville and then made a point of telling people that you talked about Favre on the plane back from Jacksonville.

It's sink or swim with TJ Yates now and all this other stuff is just about finding someone to come in if we lose him. Nobody really wants to see Owen Daniels taking snaps in a real game.
This is the first time the Texans have been a playoff contender too. I understand sitting on Yates in other years where we have little or no realistic shot...but to do nothing in this situation would be more out-of-touch Pollyanna thinking for Bob McNair's Franchise. You gotta go for the gusto it in years where you have a shot....kinda sounds like a beer commercial though.

as a fyi the Texans ruled out Marion Barry as a candidate to replace Schaub also.

Who cares if he is black or white or purple - he is a lousy QB. He has not been good at all since he blew out his knee. Doesn't matter how old he is either. He is horrible and just needs to stay home on not wait by the phone.

His career was never great. He had a few seasons where his numbers were nice, but that was only because he was throwing to Moss and Carter at the time. Even when he had seasons where he had pretty good stats, Culpepper always made some of the dumbest mistakes that would cost his team games. Moss had made a comment one time saying that Culpepper was the dumbest QB he had ever played with in his life.

Way overplayed that hand. Culpepper's by far best season was 2004 when he threw for 4700 yards, 39 TDs, 11 INT's and a 110 QB rating. Carter had been retired for two years and Moss only had 767 yards while trying to force his way out of town the next off-season. 2005 Culpepper blew out his knee.

Not advocating the Texans even take a look at him now but at one time he was at the top of the league and was 2nd for MVP in 2004.

Culpepper's Black? What does that have to do with anything? Playing the race card is soooo overdone! Way to overlook the fact that he has done next to nothing in the past few years just to accomodate your racial agenda.

There's a difference between a good QB and having a QB that's black to satisfy your needs. Didn't work for the presidency because just like I'd much rather have a Vick than a Culpepper, yeah I said it, I'd also rather have a Cain than an Obama....Neither are likely to happen though.
Why is my statement so wrong and I don't feel it's lame at all the Texans have never brought in a serious quarterback of color and if you go and look at the stats since that what you guys love so much Daunte Culpepper at this stage of his career would have been a better choice in my opinion than a shot out Jake Delhomme, so why not give a Brother a chance all you have seen in Houston are white quarterbacks so my opinion is not so bad it's just that I would like the Texans to be more open minded about there choices. The QB's have all been horrible except for Matt Schaub in Houston so if you guys think that i'm playing the race i'm not I just would like some different choices that's all and Damn what's wrong it if you have an issue with it that's your problem!!!!!

Why is my statement so wrong and I don't feel it's lame at all the Texans have never brought in a serious quarterback of color and if you go and look at the stats since that what you guys love so much Daunte Culpepper at this stage of his career would have been a better choice in my opinion than a shot out Jake Delhomme, so why not give a Brother a chance all you have seen in Houston are white quarterbacks so my opinion is not so bad it's just that I would like the Texans to be more open minded about there choices. The QB's have all been horrible except for Matt Schaub in Houston so if you guys think that i'm playing the race i'm not I just would like some different choices that's all and Damn what's wrong it if you have an issue with it that's your problem!!!!!

Tony Banks was black right?

Also, Kubiak really liked Shane Boyd from the Cardinals and he picked him up when he got the chance. He was on the PS for a second if I recall correctly.

Maybe these guys don't fit the bill of "serious" in your book, but it's not like there are a lot of talented black QB's out there that we have passed over.

Seriously....Not bringing in Culpepper has 0 to do with his race...

If we put up a bunch of dough, Ryan Leaf might consider being our QB. He should have a few good years left.

You make assumptions about who they've chosen to go with based on nothing more than skin color. I think that's retarded. Look at the QB's we've started.

David Carr 2002-2006: First player taken in the 2002 draft and ultimate "face of the franchise" man-crush on Bob McNair's part. Nobody is starting over him for the majority of that time and it has nothing to do with his skin color. Tony Banks would have been a better choice to start the franchise with but McNair looked right through as many if not more white QB's to play his favorite and everyone knows that. Carr was gonna play until he'd proven beyond every possible doubt that he couldn't get it done.

Matt Schaub 2007-2011: Went from one white guy to another. Obviously we've got a race problem here in Houston. Schaub is only our second starter..... EVER.

If you think that these two guys (Clemens and Delhomme) are "serious quarterbacks" to the Texans you're out of your mind. They're placeholders to get us to the end of the year. Nothing more. That Culpepper missed out on being one of our 5-game "rentals" doesn't mean anything. The relative mediocrity of the guys we chose says more about what we want in a backup QB right now and what we intend to do going forward than it does about Culpepper (or Garcia in fact). We want guys to throw scout team passes and come in and hand-off if Yates fails or goes down. If and when that happens we will have effectively pulled the plug on this season. We don't want a wanna-be starter or some guy who thinks he's been dealt a crappy hand by the league because he's old (Garcia) or black (Culpepper). We don't want someone who thinks this is his chance to be a starter. We are going with Yates and that's final.

Warren Moon fresh out of Edmonton is not waiting out there for a job. Culpepper on the other hand has absolutely sucked since he was hurt. That's undeniable. If we had passed on a good black QB for Delhomme you might have a case but we didn't. We passed on a QB who has repeatedly proven that he's not what he once was (just like Delhomme) but who insists he's not given an opportunity because of his color. Sometimes the right play is to keep your head down, your mouth shut, and keep working instead of crying about how you're not being given a chance. Both Culpepper and Garcia should have made less of an issue about wanting to start and being treated unfairly.

So who did we pass on during those years? Vince Young? Does not taking that inconsistent head case make the Texans a racist organization? Were we supposed to give Mike Vick a shot? I actually argued for it because I thought our team was the perfect "goody-two-shoes" place for him to begin rehabilitating his career but you knew that wasn't going to happen. He's been in prison and committed crimes many people find horrifying.

Who were we supposed to bring in? Name one black QB out there from 2002-present that would have been anything more than the blip that Sage Rosenfels was. You can't because that QB doesn't exist.

If RGIII is available and we pass on him in the draft you might have a point. Right now not so much. I don't think anyone cares what color the QB is (including McNair, Smith, and Kubiak). I think they just want him to be good. I'd settle for that too.

Back