Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-28-2011   #21
Boris
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 Boris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVP
Default Re: Peter King: Leinart injury takes air out of Texans' lofty playoff hopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
He survived only to be killed by his fellow Spartans for leaving the battle.
Oops....they didn't kill him

Quote:
Aristodemus was a Spartan warrior, one of the many sent to the Battle of Thermopylae. He was one of only two Spartan survivors, as he was not present at the last stand. Along with a comrade, Eurytus, Aristodemus was stricken with an eye infection, causing King Leonidas to order the two to return home before the battle, but Eurytus turned back, though blind, and met his end charging into the fray.

The Greek historian Herodotus believed that had both Aristodemus and Eurytus returned alive, or had Aristodemus alone been ill and excused from combat, the Spartans would have ascribed no blame to Aristodemus. However, because Eurytus did turn back and died in combat, Aristodemus was regarded as a coward and subjected to humiliation and disgrace at the hands of his compatriots; in the words of Herodotus, "no man would give him a light for his fire or speak to him; he was called Aristodemus the Coward."

The other survivor of the Three Hundred was a man named Pantites, who had been sent by Leonidas on an embassy to Thessaly. He failed to return to Thermopylae in time for the battle, and on finding himself in disgrace in Sparta, hanged himself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristodemus_of_Sparta
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #22
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Peter King: Leinart injury takes air out of Texans' lofty playoff hopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffi2 View Post
According to Kubes at his afternoon presser, "I am not down. This team is not down. I want the fans and the city of Houston to know that."

He said this was just a challenge and life was full of challenges. He sounded pretty determined to me. I think they are going to give it everything they have and you can't ask for any more than that.

I'm worried but I think that Yates is certainly no worse than Leinart. I watched the game again this afternoon and L's check downs were very obvious.
For anyone who knows Gary or has watched this team since he took it over , that shouldnt come as a surprise. (Just look at the teams December record).

I just hope he doesnt go to vanilla with Yates at QB - becoming predictable or one dimensional.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #23
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 73223 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
For anyone who knows Gary or has watched this team since he took it over , that shouldnt come as a surprise. (Just look at the teams December record).

I just hope he doesnt go to vanilla with Yates at QB - becoming predictable or one dimensional.
I REALLY don't think we've got to worry about this. I see Yates having access to as much of the playbook as Matt L had. Perhaps even more since he's been running this offense for the last 4 years in school and learning from Texans game tapes. Gary used his pick wisely when he finally got one in this year's draft and got THE GUY he wanted. Gary's been watching this Yates fellow for a while. He din't just throw a dart.

They're going to go over the playbook and together decide what TJ's comfortable with and go with it. I think we'll see a little bit (or alot) more happening downfield as opposed to just dropping it 2-3 yds downfield or in the flat.

I've stated in another thread or two, I belive some folks are going to be surprised VS Atlanta.

C'mon Sunday! Go TJ!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #24
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffi2 View Post
According to Kubes at his afternoon presser, "I am not down. This team is not down. I want the fans and the city of Houston to know that."

He said this was just a challenge and life was full of challenges. He sounded pretty determined to me. I think they are going to give it everything they have and you can't ask for any more than that.

I'm worried but I think that Yates is certainly no worse than Leinart. I watched the game again this afternoon and L's check downs were very obvious.
Rep your way. It was good to see that he's being decisive and pointed about his attitude and what he expects.

Last thing we needed, or the players needed, is to see their HC a sad sack moping around at the podium.
Old 11-28-2011   #25
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 229846 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Our ship sailed the minute Schaub broke his foot. Leinart wasn't going to win a superbowl, and neither is Yates.
Yep.

And Tim Tebow can't play QB & win in this league.

As my buddy said, "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."
Old 11-28-2011   #26
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that this is where Kubes makes or breaks his rep as a QB guru. Would you rather have "everything is on me" Kubiak or "hey my coach screwed the pooch" Del Rio? Who do you think players will play harder for? I'll stick with Kubes in that debate. Get Yates ready to call a few audibles and lets go. Ya gotta piss with the **** ya got.
Old 11-28-2011   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
As far as the post-game remarks by Kubes, the one thing I didn't like was his criticism about the lack of effectiveness of the running game in the second half.

Dude, as much as their team mostly sucks overall, Jax has a pretty good defense... and it was YOUR play calling that let all 11 of their players put a bullseye on #23. That's as much on Foster, Yates or the O-line as it is on the coaches. Now maybe that play calling was justified under the circumstances, figuring your defense had a better chance to win the game for you than Yates had... but your play calling, justified or not, is what allowed the Jax defense to eat up Foster for the entire second half. An NFL defense, especially a pretty good one, can stop almost anyone if they know what's going to be called.

Calling out your running game there was bush league, IMO. If I'm someone's boss and I set them up to fail, I'm not going to humiliate them in public for failing. It's more on me than on them.

As for Yates, he doesn't even have to be real good -- just decent at passing and decision-making, and trusted enough to open up the running game and let the defense rest a bit.
How did Jacksonville's run game look? The Jags played the NFLs #1 Defense, the #2 run defense without a passing game & still picked up 100 yards.
Old 11-29-2011   #28
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
Yep.

And Tim Tebow can't play QB & win in this league.

As my buddy said, "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."
Is Yates a champion? Of what?
Who on this team is a "champion"? We've never even been to the playoffs before
Old 11-29-2011   #29
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Derrick Ward is a Champion.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #30
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74062 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is Yates a champion? Of what?
Who on this team is a "champion"? We've never even been to the playoffs before
Its a referance to a quote to the 94 Rockets and Rudy T's comments. The 94 Rockets had never won a championship eaither.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #31
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 46441 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Its a referance to a quote to the 94 Rockets and Rudy T's comments. The 94 Rockets had never won a championship eaither.
He actually said that in '95 after they won their second championship.
Old 11-29-2011   #32
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Our ship sailed the minute Schaub broke his foot. Leinart wasn't going to win a superbowl, and neither is Yates. We'll probably make the playoffs, but do you really think either one of those guys had a chance against a Packers defense?
I'd bet you'd never be able to convince Yates he has no chance against GB.
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #33
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74062 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
He actually said that in '95 after they won their second championship.
He was thinking it during the first.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #34
TheBigpaki
Veteran

Rep Power: 759 TheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BCF View Post
I'd bet you'd never be able to convince Yates he has no chance against GB.
Our we talking about the same defense? Last I checked the Packers overall defense is 30th.

Rushing Defense-13th
Passing Defense-31st
TheBigpaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #35
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigpaki View Post
Our we talking about the same defense? Last I checked the Packers overall defense is 30th.

Rushing Defense-13th
Passing Defense-31st
Unfortunately, our D doesn't play their D. Our D is playing great right now, but we haven't faced too many offenses like GB's. The last time we did, N.O.'s hung 40 on us and we got an L. With a 3rd string QB (at best), our offense faces a tougher test than their defense. Right now. Give TJ a couple of weeks ( no great shame if we lose to ATL and Cinci) and we could be looking at a much better offense. TJ has the ability. Does he have the will?
Old 11-30-2011   #36
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Our ship sailed the minute Schaub broke his foot. Leinart wasn't going to win a superbowl, and neither is Yates. We'll probably make the playoffs, but do you really think either one of those guys had a chance against a Packers defense?
Do you think other teams' QBs have a chance against ours?

All you pessimistic worry warts are beginning to bug me. In case you haven't noticed, we not only have the best defense in the league, but we are actually getting better, each and every week. Its gotten to the point where I don't even care what the offense does when they are on the field. I'm having so much fun watching the defense.

We are 8-3 because of the defense, not the offense. We will beat Atlanta this Sunday, because of the defense.

Stick that one in your crack pipe ...... Porky.
Old 11-30-2011   #37
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You mean the Packers defense who gives up 20 more passing yards per game than the Texans defense did last season when they were one of the worst pass defenses in the history of the NFL ?

Old 11-30-2011   #38
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
As far as the post-game remarks by Kubes, the one thing I didn't like was his criticism about the lack of effectiveness of the running game in the second half.

Dude, as much as their team mostly sucks overall, Jax has a pretty good defense... and it was YOUR play calling that let all 11 of their players put a bullseye on #23. That's as much on Foster, Yates or the O-line as it is on the coaches. Now maybe that play calling was justified under the circumstances, figuring your defense had a better chance to win the game for you than Yates had... but your play calling, justified or not, is what allowed the Jax defense to eat up Foster for the entire second half. An NFL defense, especially a pretty good one, can stop almost anyone if they know what's going to be called.

Calling out your running game there was bush league, IMO. If I'm someone's boss and I set them up to fail, I'm not going to humiliate them in public for failing. It's more on me than on them.

As for Yates, he doesn't even have to be real good -- just decent at passing and decision-making, and trusted enough to open up the running game and let the defense rest a bit.
This is bull. When not your first, but SECOND-stringer goes down, you have to EXPECT your running game to pick up the slack. As someone stated earlier, the Jags ran on us at a good clip, and our defense is better than theirs (which is pretty nicked up by injury too). When you're relying on your third string QB, and you have two backs capable of 100 yard games at the same time, you pound the rock and expect your running game to make life miserable for the other team.

We failed to do that, I don't know if the line was failing to open holes or if we needed more Tate, but I do know that our running game needs to improve.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #39
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
you pound the rock and expect your running game to make life miserable for the other team.

We failed to do that, I don't know if the line was failing to open holes or if we needed more Tate, but I do know that our running game needs to improve.
Their scheme was fantastic and the front seven played a very disciplined game. They stayed at home defensively , effectively cutting off the cut back lanes which is where the Texans make their money.

Sometimes you just have to credit the other guy with a job well done. This is one of those cases and looks a lot like the first meeting between the two teams.

The Texans have been able to run the ball all year when everyone in the building knew they were going to run it ..... accept against Jax.

Old 11-30-2011   #40
Texcore
Hardcore Texan

Rep Power: 796 Texcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Do you think other teams' QBs have a chance against ours?

All you pessimistic worry warts are beginning to bug me. In case you haven't noticed, we not only have the best defense in the league, but we are actually getting better, each and every week. Its gotten to the point where I don't even care what the offense does when they are on the field. I'm having so much fun watching the defense.

We are 8-3 because of the defense, not the offense. We will beat Atlanta this Sunday, because of the defense.

Stick that one in your crack pipe ...... Porky.
Once we get to the playoffs, absolutely teams have a chance against our defense. Don't be overly optimistic. Are we ranked #1? Yes, but its not like we have faced prolific offenses this season, so that has helped tremendously.

I'm going to refrain from saying we can beat Atlanta or any other team going forward until I see what Yates can do. And I am optimistic about him. Its going to be fun finding out.
Texcore is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read