Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-30-2011   #101
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mike Lombardi says the Texans are better off without Leinart

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
I
Yes, GP...I am a member of the Vast-Media Conspiracy against T.J. Yates. : FWIW, I will say that comment in the game day thread was more knee-jerk reaction than sensible analysis; stemming from frustration I was experiencing watching our once potent offense fail to move the ball whatsoever in the second half. I won't try to excuse my self, and will own up to saying something boneheaded - which I do often.
I was actually happy to see him try a run. This offense can be difficult to stop also when we have a QB who is a threat to tuck it and run. Although, I'm not sure I'm telling my QB to only take a few steps and slide, if I'm Kubiak, since he's really our only hope right now.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #102
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I was actually happy to see him try a run. This offense can be difficult to stop also when we have a QB who is a threat to tuck it and run. Although, I'm not sure I'm telling my QB to only take a few steps and slide, if I'm Kubiak, since he's really our only hope right now.
I thought it was tentative and found it hard to watch, but in retrospect I understand the logic behind it. As much as having a running threat in Yates would boost our offense, it only takes one hit to put Jake Delhomme under center (or Owen Daniels as it would have been in Sunday's game). For the time being, I'm just hoping to see Yates master the playbook so that it will be mostly open come game day. The last thing we need is our QB to be stuck in Rick Mirer mode.
Old 11-30-2011   #103
bajabill42
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 bajabill42 is a quality contributor and well respectedbajabill42 is a quality contributor and well respectedbajabill42 is a quality contributor and well respectedbajabill42 is a quality contributor and well respectedbajabill42 is a quality contributor and well respectedbajabill42 is a quality contributor and well respectedbajabill42 is a quality contributor and well respectedbajabill42 is a quality contributor and well respectedbajabill42 is a quality contributor and well respectedbajabill42 is a quality contributor and well respectedbajabill42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lombardi proves haters will be haters, no matter what.......his "take away the 20 yard td throw" and "which hung" is all you need to read. No mention of the duress, accuracy, touch.......I wonder if Lombardi thinks Montana "hung" the pass to dwight Clark at the back of the end zone......or, was it a great pass by a great qb under heavy duress?

Too bad for Matt though. He needed these 6 games to shut up the haters once and for all. Maybe a game against Tenn would have required a gameplan that pushed the ball down the field......or, just the need to do so. This game was unlosable unless an O just turned the ball over time after time. Matt did exactly what was called for and maybe gameplanned.

I can't imagine Matt getting another golden opportunity like this one. Now, in addition to the Lombardi type haters, Matt will have to deal with being injury prone. Too Bad!!
bajabill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #104
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5919 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabill42 View Post
......his "take away the 20 yard td throw" and "which hung" is all you need to read. No mention of the duress, accuracy, touch.......
Yeah, I wondered about that one, too. I seem to recall that the "hanging" as he called it was needed to loft it over the linebacker's head so he couldn't knock it down or intercept it.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #105
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Lombardi is an analyst. All this talk of hidden agenda(s) and being a hater is just silly. Agree or disagree with him, but just comprehend that he's just doing his job and does the same for the other 31 teams. It's what The Network pays him to do, so change the channel if you can't handle a different perspective.

Some of our fans are just too thin-skinned sometimes.
Old 11-30-2011   #106
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Lombardi is an analyst. All this talk of hidden agenda(s) and being a hater is just silly. Agree or disagree with him, but just comprehend that he's just doing his job and does the same for the other 31 teams. It's what The Network pays him to do, so change the channel if you can't handle a different perspective.

True.....but he's still an asshat.
Old 11-30-2011   #107
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
True.....but he's still an asshat.
I'm not a fan of his, but just the same, I don't get pissy if/when I don't like what he's got to say.

Apply the old saying about opinions and a-holes here...if ya' know what I mean.
Old 11-30-2011   #108
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
Yes, GP...I am a member of the Vast-Media Conspiracy against T.J. Yates. FWIW, I will say that comment in the game day thread was more knee-jerk reaction than sensible analysis; stemming from frustration I was experiencing watching our once potent offense fail to move the ball whatsoever in the second half. I won't try to excuse my self, and will own up to saying something boneheaded - which I do often.
Cool. I can see how frustration can drive us to say things in the heat of the moment. Happens all the time, thanks for the clarification burro.

I suppose Kubiak MIGHT have had a plan to try and have Leinart open up pass plays later in the game...and the injury forced the abandonment of that idea.
Old 11-30-2011   #109
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Lombardi is unique in that he really does speak his mind even if it's skewed

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #110
bajabill42
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 bajabill42 is a quality contributor and well respectedbajabill42 is a quality contributor and well respectedbajabill42 is a quality contributor and well respectedbajabill42 is a quality contributor and well respectedbajabill42 is a quality contributor and well respectedbajabill42 is a quality contributor and well respectedbajabill42 is a quality contributor and well respectedbajabill42 is a quality contributor and well respectedbajabill42 is a quality contributor and well respectedbajabill42 is a quality contributor and well respectedbajabill42 is a quality contributor and well respected

I listen to them.....I can take it.....but, Lombardi has been a hater in the past, as he states(virtually).......this just confirms his opinion.......but, a hater is a hater as he clearly demonstrates........it was a great throw. I don't take it away. It was 70% completion rate......it was 110 Rating......it was enough points in LT a half to win the game........and Lombardi comes out with.... SEE I WAS RIGHT.......without knowing the gameplan or breaking down the film.........I WAS RIGHT, based on nothing, but preconceptions.....gee, I call that a hater. I would love to see Mayock interview Kubiak as to the gameplan and then to breakdown the game film. But, not much chance of that.......just LOMBARDI, I WAS RIGHT!!!! What a joke!
bajabill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #111
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173360 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Lombardi is unique in that he really does speak his mind even if it's skewed
Problem Lombardi is he talks out of both sides of his mouth. Useless.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #112
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 155499 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Aw, come on guys, get real. Lombardi is like every other talking head on every football TV show we watch. If we like what he says, he's a smart analyst. If we don't like what he says, he's stupid.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #113
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not a fan of his, but just the same, I don't get pissy if/when I don't like what he's got to say.

Apply the old saying about opinions and a-holes here...if ya' know what I mean.
Yeah, I get ya. I don't really care what he says. It's the 'high and mighty' act he tends to portray, when in fact, he's just another Casserly.
Old 11-30-2011   #114
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Aw, come on guys, get real. Lombardi is like every other talking head on every football TV show we watch. If we like what he says, he's a smart analyst. If we don't like what he says, he's stupid.
Ain't that the truth!

The more the Texans win, the more press they will get. But that, in turn, means both good and bad press. We just have to be thick-skinned as fans and understand that just because someone is paid to say something, that doesn't mean that they have an agenda, drink hatorade, or hate Houston.

Maybe they are just stupid.

Quote:
Yeah, I get ya. I don't really care what he says. It's the 'high and mighty' act he tends to portray, when in fact, he's just another Casserly.
yep, my thoughts exactly. I almost brought up Casserly as an example, too.
Old 11-30-2011   #115
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150820 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I think a little piss & vinegar is warranted here. Leinart just got kicked in the gnads by fate & Lombardi smacks him with the backhand.

Not classy at all. asshat is appropriate in this situation.
Old 11-30-2011   #116
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think a little piss & vinegar is warranted here. Leinart just got kicked in the gnads by fate & Lombardi smacks him with the backhand.

I read that article he wrote and did not get the 'smacks him with a back hand' vibe at all. He even made it a point to mention how bad he felt for Leinart. I think he's an asshat, but not for the reasoning you state. I think you read between the lines incorrectly.

Quote:
It's a tough break for Leinart to get injured as he was trying to rebuild his career, and I do feel badly for him. Maybe he was going to prove my evaluation of him wrong by driving the ball down the field, standing tall in the pocket and making all the tough throws. Maybe he did change his style of play and he was just getting warmed up in the Jaguars game. But with this injury, we will never know.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...-week-12-notes
Old 11-30-2011   #117
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150820 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I read that article he wrote and did not get the 'smacks him with a back hand' vibe at all. He even made it a point to mention how bad he felt for Leinart. I think he's an asshat, but not for the reasoning you state. I think you read between the lines incorrectly.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...-week-12-notes
Oh that's not the reason I think he's an asshat (I don't really, but I could see why someone would), I think the situation was appropriate.

He says, "I feel bad" yadda, yadda, yadda, but as was said, he doesn't mention how Matt had the presence (poise) to set his feet & deliver the ball in imminent danger, he also disregards the fact that Matt played well enough to lead the Texans to 17 points, despite spotting the Jags a 7 point lead. Or even the presence of mind to get the ball to Arian's feet instead of taking a sack on that season ending tackle.

"Matt played well, but T.J. Yate......... " that's all he had to do, no reason to talk about floating balls & check downs in a WCO.

But that's just me.
Old 11-30-2011   #118
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't think Lombardi is an overall hater, but that was a horrible take on Leinart... Analyst or not, those guys do have agendas, and that agenda is to remain credible and readable ($$$)... They remain credible and readable by eating as little crow as possible, having unique takes and in this case by creating the illusion that they've been right all along and highlighting their "correctness"... With a little "unique take" thrown in for added security, this is what you have in Lombardi's article...

Now, I say "illusion" because with less than a half of play to go off of as an example, Lombardi suggests that example proved his past stances on Leinart correct, when infact it not only proved nothing, it never came close to proving him correct... The TD pass that apparently hung in the air forever actually did not! Was it a laser? No. But did it serve it's intended purpose, which was to find a target down field? Yes. It also looked like a throw Schaub's made a few times (along with every other "non-elite" QB in the league)... Also, "The Checkdown King" may be a fitting tag for Leinart, but in this offense most passes are short to begin with, Schaub "checks down" quite frequently, it's called "The Houston Texans Offense"...

Maybe Leinart would have failed again, it was for sure possible... But with a little less than a half of Hot Tub Matt QBing the Texans O to go off of, a half that saw him making the correct decisions and throwing a pretty damn good pass, suggesting he was already failing is Lombardi's way of saying "See! I told you so... Look at me! I was right! Keep reading me..."

Also, Yates > Leinart was an unexpected take... There's your "unique" factor...

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using Tapakeg

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #119
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

A lot of Texans fans are saying the same thing about what we got to see of Leinart. You do realize that he's not paid to be "classy" on The Network, yeah?

And to be honest, I rooted for Leinart as a fan, but there were parts of me that was concerned based upon his NFL career up to this point. Just him re-signing as a backup sort of indicated a lack of hunger to be a starter on his part. QBs that are hungry are willing to start for any of the 32 teams. It's not a knock, but just a fan observation. I thought it was interesting to note that he could not beat Orlovsky out of the no. 2 spot last year and decided to stay a backup to Schaub this year. He looked like...well, Matt Leinart out there Sunday. My hope was that he could just avoid mistakes and let our team take up the slack, which is pretty much what happened.

With TJ, I have no idea what to expect. I did like the aura he represented himself with when he stepped behind the center. Like has been mentioned, he seemed much more confident than a rookie would seem to be when thrown into a game for a two minute drill. I'm not saying that translates to being a great QB, but it certainly won't hurt to have that attitude. As we know, much of the position is between the ears.

BTW, I'm not defending Lombardi. But, I do keep it in perspective that he's paid to spew his opinions on things. We are talking about him. He's not talking about us.
Old 11-30-2011   #120
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
I don't think Lombardi is an overall hater, but that was a horrible take on Leinart... Analyst or not, those guys do have agendas, and that agenda is to remain credible and readable ($$$)...
See, that I can agree with. You don't label him but just disagree with his take. That's alright and our right as fans.

And agree on 'agenda' as you frame it. My point was that I don't necessarily think he's got an agenda against specific teams or individual players. Obviously, an agenda to keep his job is understandable.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read