Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-28-2011   #41
JVL713
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 JVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mike Lombardi says the Texans are better off without Leinart

Ironic there was a Brett Favre Wrangler Jeans Ad before the video played :P
*dont want Favre, btw*

I agree though, Yates looked amazing that first drive before he was restricted in the second half. Yes, he missed some throws in the second half, but hopefully with more reps with the first team we will see more of the first half Yates.

Maybe it's just me, but it's refreshing watching a mobile quarterback throw with velocity, not used to seeing much of that around here.
JVL713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #42
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
I hope the kid is a fast learner. I don't think he will have the whole playbook this week. He will have more than he did yesterday though.
Apparently he is a very fast learner. Schaub said it himself. Doesn't hurt that the offense he ran in college was a slight copy of the Texans offense.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #43
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 4784 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVL713 View Post
Ironic there was a Brett Favre Wrangler Jeans Ad before the video played :P
*dont want Favre, btw*

I agree though, Yates looked amazing that first drive before he was restricted in the second half. Yes, he missed some throws in the second half, but hopefully with more reps with the first team we will see more of the first half Yates.

Maybe it's just me, but it's refreshing watching a mobile quarterback throw with velocity, not used to seeing much of that around here.
Yeah same with me. I hadn't seen someone zip it like TJ did in awhile here. Also the thought of a qb scrambling to get 5 yard was just uncomprehendable by me.

Crazy. Just crazy
Old 11-28-2011   #44
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteANDblue View Post
Yeah same with me. I hadn't seen someone zip it like TJ did in awhile here. Also the thought of a qb scrambling to get 5 yard was just uncomprehendable by me.
Almost as incomprehensible as the comment in the game thread about that 5 yard scramble where someone equated his decision to slide (as the last healthy QB on the sidelines) with a certain nether region of the female anatomy. Under the circumstances he would have been a fool to take the hit, and I suspect he was under orders to slide even if it means not getting a first down there.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #45
Rozelle
Rookie

Rep Power: 599 Rozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respected

We may very well be better off with Yates. Still have to bring in another vet.
I agree... forget Farve, but I think I would guage Kurt Warner's interest. He may be under contract with Arizona. Be nice to have a seasoned vet onboard with some playoff experience.
Rozelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #46
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 73223 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS4MARIO View Post
Drew Carey's dad imo.

OP, too bad ML won't have a chance to prove him wrong this season. He sounds like a hater. I just don't see Yates taking us very far at all. I hope I'm completely wrong though.
As do I. I agree with numerous posters in other threads in that I believe Yates is gonna surprise some folks. He ran this offense for 4 years @ UNC. Heck, Gary was sending him/them game film. I may be really nieve, but I don't think so.

TJ Yates is going to surpise some people with his play. As others have stated in other threads, he just seems to have "it". He looked comfortable out there to me.

I don't think he's scaird of Atlanta. C'mon Sunday!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #47
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 275466 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

He's from Atlanta, too! The Falcons were his team as a kid, so ironic that his first NFL start will be against them.
Old 11-28-2011   #48
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozelle View Post
I agree... forget Farve, but I think I would guage Kurt Warner's interest. He may be under contract with Arizona. Be nice to have a seasoned vet onboard with some playoff experience.

Join us in 2011.
Old 11-28-2011   #49
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6021 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozelle View Post
I think Warner likes his NFL Network gig too much.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #50
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I agree with you, at least with the first part. Kubiak went very conservative for a reason. He didn't want Yates to risk being injured by staying in the pocket too long and getting hit. He had to count on the running game and D to hold onto the win.

After a week of reps and coaching, I think Yates will be allowed to pass the ball more beyond the 3 yard slants he had yesterday.
I saw no slants, Sam. Zero.

I kept looking for a 3-step slant all game long and never got one.

After the Dreessen TD, I think maybe two passes were ever thrown in the direction of a WR/TE. 98% of pass plays were immediate QB-to-RB pass plays of some variation.

If Derrick Mason is still on this team, I think he's the perfect target for a 3-step slant. Reliable hands, tough as nails, and fast.
Old 11-28-2011   #51
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

After the Dreessen TD, I think maybe two passes were ever thrown in the direction of a WR/TE. 98% of pass plays were immediate QB-to-RB pass plays of some variation.

If Derrick Mason is still on this team, I think he's the perfect target for a 3-step slant. Reliable hands, tough as nails, and fast.
Very first pass was more like a 5 step drop, but from under center and it was a quick hitter to OD.
Old 11-28-2011   #52
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

Ok, I shouldn't have said slants. What I meant was little dink and dunk passes. Slants was just the first thing that came into my mind when I was thinking of those.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #53
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Very first pass was more like a 5 step drop, but from under center and it was a quick hitter to OD.
I think it was more of a deeper crossing pattern than a true slant.

I'm talking about the WR taking basically two steps, planting a foot and breaking HARD to the middle...and the QB is throwing the ball when he hits the 3rd step of the 3-step drop. While not an earth-shattering play, it gets the ball into the hands of the WR, out of the hands of the QB, and the pass rush is useless.

We've got to have the shallow stuff like that, then the bootleg and corresponding TE routes that we love to use on defenses, and the run game just makes it all a complete success. At that point, if our QB can recognize and execute the plays given to him...we're good to go, IMO.
Old 11-28-2011   #54
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

As sadistic as it may seem, is anyone else kind of excited to see what life after Schaub looks like?

I mean, who knows, Yates could be our next QB for the next decade. We really have no idea. The only thing we do know is we are forced into this and it really could be an exciting next few weeks if TJ turns out to be our next star QB.

I know, I know.....wishful thinking but who knows. Anything could happen.

All I know is as of this point, TJ could be the next Tom Brady....or the next David Carr. We will have a much better grasp after next weeks game.
Old 11-28-2011   #55
BeerTastesLikeVictory
Custom Title

Rep Power: 31195 BeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
As sadistic as it may seem, is anyone else kind of excited to see what life after Schaub looks like?

I mean, who knows, Yates could be our next QB for the next decade. We really have no idea. The only thing we do know is we are forced into this and it really could be an exciting next few weeks if TJ turns out to be our next star QB.

All I know is as of this point, TJ could be the next Tom Brady....or the next David Carr. We will have a much better grasp after next weeks game.
If we had already clinched the division, then yeah I'd love to see the kid work. In this situation I'm mostly nervous.

*Sig by False Start*
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
-David Daye
BeerTastesLikeVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #56
2slik4u
All Pro

Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerTastesLikeVictory View Post
If we had already clinched the division, then yeah I'd love to see the kid work. In this situation I'm mostly nervous.
Well sure, of course you're nervous. As am I. But what choice do we have? Either kill ourselves with nervousness or get excited with the possibility that we are watching our future start next week.

Just saying, it helps with copious amounts of whiskey, too.

Old 11-28-2011   #57
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yes, I'm excited. I'm thinking this could work out really well.

Since it's very unusual for me to think that way, I'm even more excited.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #58
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Lombardi is a classless blowhard. This piece would be distasteful if Leinart had bombed up until his injury, but the fact that Leinart managed to make plays and score points makes the piece a work of idiocy as well. Leinart did well and we will feel the loss, unless T.J. Yates proves to be some sort of Tom Brady redux.
Old 11-28-2011   #59
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
Lombardi is a classless blowhard. This piece would be distasteful if Leinart had bombed up until his injury, but the fact that Leinart managed to make plays and score points makes the piece a work of idiocy as well. Leinart did well and we will feel the loss, unless T.J. Yates proves to be some sort of Tom Brady redux.
Was I the only one that wasn't "blown away" by Leinart? I know Kubiak didn't ask him to do much but the numbers dont lie.

Im not saying TJ completely showed him up, Im just saying Leinart didn't do anything Cleo Lemon couldn't have done.

Check down. Check down. Check down.

I know, thats all that was expected of him and he executed that game plan but saying that he did great when he didnt do much at all is a bit of an overstatement.
Old 11-28-2011   #60
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1007 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Was I the only one that wasn't "blown away" by Leinart? I know Kubiak didn't ask him to do much but the numbers dont lie.

Im not saying TJ completely showed him up, Im just saying Leinart didn't do anything Cleo Lemon couldn't have done.

Check down. Check down. Check down.

I know, thats all that was expected of him and he executed that game plan but saying that he did great when he didnt do much at all is a bit of an overstatement.
He reminded me of HWSNBN. When the announcers kept saying what a great game he was having I was wondering if they were watching the same game.

I thought Yates looked more confident and his passes crisper. I just hope he can hang in there and keep his composure and let the running game and defense win for us. He will have to go downfield for the running game to work.

We sure missed Vickers on Sunday........ I don't think it was all on the Jags defense that we struggled in the running game. I love what Casey brings to the game but we need Vickers healthy, too. Anybody know when we might get him back?
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read