Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-28-2011   #1
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mike Lombardi says the Texans are better off without Leinart

He may be right. Leinart did look like the King of the Checkdown yesterday.

Texans better off with Yates, not Leinart; more Week 12 notes

Can things get any worse for the Houston Texans? First they lose Mario Williams, their best defensive player, for the season. That was followed by their All-Pro wide receiver, Andre Johnson, missing six games with a hamstring injury. Starting quarterback Matt Schaub went on the shelf after Week 10 with a season-ending foot injury and after last weekend's bye, backup QB Matt Leinart comes in Sunday and promptly goes down with a reported broken collarbone.

But don't cry for the Texans just yet. After all, they still beat the Jaguars to improve to 8-3. Losing Leinart is not hard to overcome, especially in this offense, and they even might be better off without him.

Watching Leinart play in the first half, it was clear "the King of the Check Down" was back to his old ways. Leinart refuses to drive the ball down the field, always taking the quick outlet instead of standing tall in the pocket to the last second and making the tough throw. He is nervous in the pocket and treats the ball like a hot potato, wanting to get rid of it as soon as he can. He loves completion percentage more than yards, which might look good on a stat sheet, but never helps a team win. I don't care what the Texans said he looked like in practice last week. In practice, it is easier to throw the ball down the field, largely because there is no risk at being hit. Once hitting the quarterback is a part of the game, then the King is going to revert back to his check downs.

In two quarters against the Jags, Leinart was 10 of 13 for 57 yards. He averaged 4.3 yards in his 13 attempts, which is the same as what the Houston running game normally averages per carry. Take away the 20-yard touchdown throw, which hung in the air for days, and Leinart was 9 of 12 for 37 yards, which is slightly better than three yards per attempt. If Leinart was going to do nothing more than throw the check down, then how can this injury be deemed so costly?

When rookie T.J. Yates came into the game, my first reaction was -- now that is a NFL passer. Yates came off the bench with little or no practice time and led the team down the field for a field goal to close out the half. The game did not look too big for Yates, nor did he look nervous under center. He looked like a player with excellent talent who, after a week of getting all the coaching, could execute the game plan as well, if not better, than Leinart. Yates might not have as much experience as Leinart, but was Leinart's experience really going to help him or the Texans? I strongly doubt it.

The Texans are in a bad spot, don't get me wrong, but it's the same one they were in when Schaub first went down -- they must win with their defense, their run game and their special teams. Losing Leinart does not change things; in fact, it makes things clearer. With Leinart in the game, there would be a belief that he could handle certain things because he was a high pick and has started NFL games. In reality, as was the case Sunday, Leinart cannot handle or properly execute the whole Texans offense. Leinart would have provided false hope, which is not what the Texans need right now.

In head coach Gary Kubiak's QB-friendly offense, Yates will not be asked to carry the load, but just make a few throws down the field. Having been a four-year starter in college at North Carolina, in a pro-style system, Yates can handle the volume of offense each week and will not be overwhelmed. The burden of scoring will fall on the run game and the play-making ability of Andre Johnson, who will benefit more with Yates in the game. Trust me, today the Texans are no different offensively than they were last Monday. I'd argue they are better off.

It's a tough break for Leinart to get injured as he was trying to rebuild his career, and I do feel badly for him. Maybe he was going to prove my evaluation of him wrong by driving the ball down the field, standing tall in the pocket and making all the tough throws. Maybe he did change his style of play and he was just getting warmed up in the Jaguars game. But with this injury, we will never know.

Now Yates will be the man responsible to lead the Texans to their first playoff appearance. But as it was before the injury to Leinart, the Texans' playoff fortunes will continue to lie with their ability to run the ball and make plays with their defense. And I believe they can get it done. So today is not a day for Texans fans to cry; it is a day to just keep moving forward because good things still can happen.

LINK
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #2
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mike Lombardi says the Texans are better off without Leinart

Watch the video of the ESPN roundtable on that linked page.

Both Mooch and Deion said they'd call Jeff Garcia....
Old 11-28-2011   #3
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with Mike Lombardi's assessment.

I think we're going to do just fine with Yates at QB. In fact, I think Yates will have legitimate shot at being the #1 QB next season, EVEN IF Schaub makes a full recovery in time for TC next season, which I very much doubt.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #4
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as I hate to agree with ol' Sta-Puff, he may have a point. Leinart threw two medium length passes today. One to AJ that got called back and the other to Dreessen for six. You could see him look down field once then immediately start looking for the checkdown outlet.

I'd love to see the All-22 video so I could see what coverage Jacksonville played.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #5
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

well yates is younger and more mobile hes got that going 4 him ...... : P
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #6
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 140315 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

so ... "Snap...Crackle...'F'-him?"
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Booo!

Kicking a man when he's down is chickensh!t.
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2011   #8
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 140315 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Watch the video of the ESPN roundtable on that linked page.

Both Mooch and Deion said they'd call Jeff Garcia....
Okay...I'm having trouble with your avitar pic...is that Barry Goldwater or Thurgood Marshall? I honestly can't tell...
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #9
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Okay...I'm having trouble with your avitar pic...is that Barry Goldwater or Thurgood Marshall? I honestly can't tell...
lmao!!!

I've never had anyone guess Thurgood Marshall but I suppose it's not that outlandish.

It's Goldwater.
Old 11-28-2011   #10
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not buying that for a second. Laeinart looked alright yesterday and threw a really nice TD pass and had some momentum going for him. He is waaaayy better than Yates on paper. Yates couldn't get anything going on offense yesterday at all and with him in there I think this offense is going to be extremely more limited. Kubiak isn't going to trust him either.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #11
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing with Yates: he is a rookie project that will do rookie mistakes. That doesn`t mean he`s not gonna be a good QB, but almost every rookie makes mistakes.

I am excited for Yates. He did look good on that one drive - the rest of the game he was basically handcuffed by Kubiak (which I would`ve done exactly the same - let the running game and the defense finish this off).

But only with a full week of practice as the #1QB and a full playbook will we know, if we are totally screwed or just kinda screwed. Itīs totally ok to lose the Falcons game - but I at least want to see some promise.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #12
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
That's Goldwater.

Thurgood wasn't THAT lightskinned.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #13
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
That's Goldwater.

Thurgood wasn't THAT lightskinned.
Not too far off though, now that I really look at the two pics. Funny.
Old 11-28-2011   #14
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw more confidence out of Yates than pretty boy Leinart. I think Kubiak was hesitant to take off the muzzle and let Yates take risks down the field.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #15
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I'm not buying that for a second. Laeinart looked alright yesterday and threw a really nice TD pass and had some momentum going for him. He is waaaayy better than Yates on paper. Yates couldn't get anything going on offense yesterday at all and with him in there I think this offense is going to be extremely more limited. Kubiak isn't going to trust him either.
actually Kubes talked about it saying that he ran very vanilla that game due to Y8s not being in the offense etc. I think we see how he does against Atlanta. rly our only option at this point... If there was a An available u might be ably to get him up to speed in time for Indy but I just don't see any options as a starter .... throw the rookie into the fire and see if he melts or tempers.
Old 11-28-2011   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Thought this was interesting.

Quote:
Here’s a breakdown of AFC South quarterbacking Sunday, with QBR (and rank for the day) as well as passer rating.

Week 12 AFC South QBR
Quarterback QBR (Rank) Passer Rating
Matt Leinart 60.9 (9) 110.1
Matt Hasselbeck 26.2 (23) 53.6
T.J. Yates 12.9 (28) 66.0
Curtis Painter 8.4 (30) 60.4
Blaine Gabbert 7.5 (31) 44.6
Luke McCown DNQ 78.6

Passer rating maxes out at 158.3; QBR goes to 100.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #17
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Y'all are crazy if y'all think Yates will/would outplay Leinart...I know he was Mr. Checkdown all day yesterday, but Yates was just as worst, if not worse...

That said...Bring in the Copter!
Old 11-28-2011   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 340250 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I agree with Mike Lombardi's assessment.

I think we're going to do just fine with Yates at QB. In fact, I think Yates will have legitimate shot at being the #1 QB next season, EVEN IF Schaub makes a full recovery in time for TC next season, which I very much doubt.
I agree. I think Lombardi had a great point in having unrealistic expectations with Leinart due to his previous experience than you would for Yates. With Yates, we know what we have: a rookie QB.

I think Yates did alright for a guy off the bench and thrown to the wolves. He drove the offense in a two minute drill to put points on the board. And that throw to AJ in quadruple coverage was impressive. I did not see Leinart even try to make that throw.

A couple of after game things made me think positive about Yates. First was AJ's comments about having confidence in him and they were workout partners during AJ's rehab. He's caught some balls from Yates, and I've got to trust our no. 1 WR when it's Andre Johnson.

The second was Bob Allen's interview with Yates on the Texans show. Yates was very cool and calm during the interview, and he said that the offense they ran in college was based on the Texans offense. So he's got some experience in running this style. While it's certainly not pro football experience, it's not like we're taking an option or spread QB from college to run this offense.
Old 11-28-2011   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Lombardi:

"I'm not talking shit here, believe me, but Leinart sucked and you're better off without him. I feel bad that he was hurt, but he is the Checkdown King and doesn't know or care enough, or have the skills, to be a good QB anyways. So, in conclusion: 1.) He sucks. 2.) I'm not trying to be a dick about it. C.) Texans fans shouldn't cry."

Does this guy have a friend? He's the guy who prefaces everything he says to somebody with "No offense here, but...." As if saying "No offense" nullifies your ability to get pissed off at what he says to you. Anybody have a friend like that? You know: The guy who pisses you off all the time, and when you snap on him he comes back at you with "I was just kidding, man! Geez."

LOL.

Leinart did not win the hearts of the football Gods vs. Jax, pure and simple. If you do not appease the Gods, you shall not remain. TJ Yates better be a spiritual man, and he better have a pure and clean spirit next Sunday.
Old 11-28-2011   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

It is what it is. move forward with Yates no looking back, I mean is there anything the Texans could have done differently? Keep Grossman instead of moving on with Leinart? Or draft Mallet instead of trading up in the second to grab highly graded CB Brandon Harris.

After this season is finished & the staff does it internal team reviews & player assessments, Rick Smith may deceide to focus more on 2012 QB draft & free agent class. Until then its TJ Yates & Kellen Clemons bottom line.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read