Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-28-2011   #21
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: #1 Seed in the AFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
Nice to know we are #1 after week 12. I am really concerned about Atlanta game as their D is #2 against run and we got 3rd string QB. Their D against pass is #25 but again, inexperience QB on our side makes a little difficult to take an advantage of the situation. Hope, Kubiak can come up with winning plan that Yates be able to handle.

Go Texans!!!
If it was me calling plays, everytime I see the box stacked with 1 on 1.. I'm looking at Dunta Robinson. I've watched a few Atlanta games in the past weeks and 23 is OVERPAID.
Old 11-28-2011   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by _superMario90_ View Post
If it was me calling plays, everytime I see the box stacked with 1 on 1.. I'm looking at Dunta Robinson. I've watched a few Atlanta games in the past weeks and 23 is OVERPAID.
A little off topic.

I was watching the Cowboys this Thanksgiving. The Cowboy receivers were having a field day against Miami's corners. But Romo kept putting the ball where the Corners had better position.

Same thing when I watched Palko last night. He started the game rough, three INTs in back to back possessions. I think it was three back to back to back pass attempts. The receivers were open, ball was just in the wrong place. The last one (to seal the game) Bowe was open.... Palko made it look as though he thought Bowe was breaking his pattern & running a go route when (I think) he was just saying, "I'm open"
Old 11-28-2011   #23
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

IŽve got a question: if we end up with the same record as the Titans - what is the tiebreaker if we split the two head to head games?
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #24
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
IŽve got a question: if we end up with the same record as the Titans - what is the tiebreaker if we split the two head to head games?
Division record. Right now we are 4-0. They are 1-2. So essentially, we have a 3 game lead in the division with 5 games left.
Old 11-28-2011   #25
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
It's either division or conference games, both of which we would still win.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #26
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION
If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs
1.Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3.Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5.Strength of victory.
6.Strength of schedule.
7.Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8.Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9.Best net points in common games.
10.Best net points in all games.
11.Best net touchdowns in all games.
12.Coin toss
http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881 View Post
Division record. Right now we are 4-0. They are 1-2. So essentially, we have a 3 game lead in the division with 5 games left.
That's right, as long as we beat either Indy or Tennessee, we'll finish with only one loss in the division & the Tie breaker over the Titans.

So we could possibly go into Jan 4 at 10-5 the Titans could be 9-6. We could lose that game (as long as we beat Indy) & still win the division.
Old 11-28-2011   #28
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Makes me kinda hope we lose that one just to tick them off.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Makes me kinda hope we lose that one just to tick them off.
Lose at home to the Titans?

I don't think that would tick Bud off, he'll probably throw a parade.

I'd rather whup his ass with our Scout team.
Old 11-28-2011   #30
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20599 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Belongs to Houston

Enjoy it while it lasts boys....

& girls.
Thanks for including "the girls" LOL
Old 11-28-2011   #31
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been looking at our standings, and the tie breaking procedures and think we're sitting pretty good.

Here's where we're at today and in order of the tie breakers:
Overall Record: Texans (8-3) : Titans (6-5)
Head-to-Head: Texans (1-0) : Titans (0-1)
Division Record: Texans (4-0) : Titans (1-2)
Common Games: Texans (6-2) : Titans (5-4)
Conference Games: Texans (7-2) : Titans (4-4)

If we beat Tennessee and win only one other game (Atlanta, Cincinnati, Carolina or Indianapolis) we're guaranteed to go to the playoffs. If we go 6-0 in our division, just having to beat Indy and Tennessee we're guaranteed. That would be awesome.

Worst Case: We lose out and go 8-8. We'd still make the playoffs if the Titans go 1-3 in their other games.

Key games: All of them!

Tennessee has 3 division games remaining, one against each team. New Orleans counts as a common opponent. Buffalo counts as a conference opponent.

Every game the Texans have left is a common opponent.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard

Last edited by Ole Miss Texan; 11-28-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #32
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks guys! Playoffs seem very realistic now, even with a rookie 5th round pick at QB. IŽd expect us to win anywhere between 1 and 3 games of the remaining schedule. It sure would be nice to have double digits wins at the end of the season...

Then look for Yates to explode in the playoffs and be the next fairytale QB - I can dream right? It seems that`s all thereŽs left to do as a Texans fan...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #33
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _superMario90_ View Post
Dunta may be overpaid but aint the Texans' money. Sure glad we have J Jo that gets paid similar(I think) to Dunta but wwwaaaayyyy better CB. Anyway, J Jo worth every penny.

I hope, Kubiak is able to simplify the passing scheme for Yates to handle. If we can do this, we should be competitive against the rest of remaining schedule teams.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #34
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
Dunta may be overpaid but aint the Texans' money. Sure glad we have J Jo that gets paid similar(I think) to Dunta but wwwaaaayyyy better CB. Anyway, J Jo worth every penny.

I hope, Kubiak is able to simplify the passing scheme for Yates to handle. If we can do this, we should be competitive against the rest of remaining schedule teams.

Go Texans!!!
I think Yates knows the scheme well enough , its more a matter of timing than anything else. The reps he will get with the first team this week should help with that.

Case in point - The pass he hit OD in the facemask .... The pass was on the money but was a half second late giving the defender time to make a play on the ball.

Off topic but OD didnt have a drop all season - Did that go down as a drop or a pass defended by the defender ?!

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I think Yates knows the scheme well enough , its more a matter of timing than anything else. The reps he will get with the first team this week should help with that.
Just curious... how well, does Yates "know" our offense?

Really, as the third string QB, he's basically running the scout team. Which means he is "simulating" our weekly opponent. He's not being asked to go through our play-book, he's being asked to line up & go through a progression or hand the ball off in a system that has little to do with what we are doing.

He's not worried about checking, calling, or adjusting protection or blocking schemes. He's not being asked to put a receiver in motion to see how the defense reacts.

The last two weeks, if Leinart was getting extra snaps, Yates was still running the scout team, acting like Gabbert (so to speak).

This week may very well be the first time he has to take snaps in our system. I would imagine he goes to the regular QB meetings, study film with Matt & Matt, goes through the drills with Knapp.

But actually taking a snap in our offense, making his reads, & adjusting protection.... this may be the first time that he's been doing it.

I could be wrong, but think about it. Matt & Matt got the first & second team snaps. Yates ran the scout team.
Old 11-28-2011   #36
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Just go 1-oh this week and who gives a sh*t? Keep the mantra, focus and make it happen. The Texans can do this. Proper coaching and game planning can put us in the #1 seed at the end of regulation. Keep the faith, peeps.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #37
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Just curious... how well, does Yates "know" our offense?

Really, as the third string QB, he's basically running the scout team. Which means he is "simulating" our weekly opponent. He's not being asked to go through our play-book, he's being asked to line up & go through a progression or hand the ball off in a system that has little to do with what we are doing.

He's not worried about checking, calling, or adjusting protection or blocking schemes. He's not being asked to put a receiver in motion to see how the defense reacts.

The last two weeks, if Leinart was getting extra snaps, Yates was still running the scout team, acting like Gabbert (so to speak).

This week may very well be the first time he has to take snaps in our system. I would imagine he goes to the regular QB meetings, study film with Matt & Matt, goes through the drills with Knapp.

But actually taking a snap in our offense, making his reads, & adjusting protection.... this may be the first time that he's been doing it.

I could be wrong, but think about it. Matt & Matt got the first & second team snaps. Yates ran the scout team.
Being the scout team QB is one of the toughest jobs in the game of football.

Not only do you have to know your scheme but you have to learn parts of a different scheme every week.

The biggest difference with Yates running the scout team Vs the #1's is in the timing and feel he gets to develop with the recievers.

Im sure he knows the playbook inside out .... What it boils down to is how he goes thru his reads post snap , avoiding defenses attempts to confuse him into poor decisions.

Old 11-28-2011   #38
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Being the scout team QB is one of the toughest jobs in the game of football.

Not only do you have to know your scheme but you have to learn parts of a different scheme every week.
The biggest difference with Yates running the scout team Vs the #1's is in the timing and feel he gets to develop with the recievers.

Im sure he knows the playbook inside out .... What it boils down to is how he goes thru his reads post snap , avoiding defenses attempts to confuse him into poor decisions.
Could this ability to decipher other team's O's help Yates read opposing D's coverages? That will be key to his success.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #39
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I've been looking at our standings, and the tie breaking procedures and think we're sitting pretty good.

Here's where we're at today and in order of the tie breakers:
Overall Record: Texans (8-3) : Titans (6-5)
Head-to-Head: Texans (1-0) : Titans (0-1)
Division Record: Texans (4-0) : Titans (1-2)
Common Games: Texans (6-2) : Titans (5-4)
Conference Games: Texans (7-2) : Titans (4-4)

If we beat Tennessee and win only one other game (Atlanta, Cincinnati, Carolina or Indianapolis) we're guaranteed to go to the playoffs. If we go 6-0 in our division, just having to beat Indy and Tennessee we're guaranteed. That would be awesome.

Worst Case: We lose out and go 8-8. We'd still make the playoffs if the Titans go 1-3 in their other games.

Key games: All of them!

Tennessee has 3 division games remaining, one against each team. New Orleans counts as a common opponent. Buffalo counts as a conference opponent.

Every game the Texans have left is a common opponent.
Awesome post. You need to file this away somewhere.

Copy and paste the text of your post. Put it into a text document or Word document for when we need it again. I think a lot of people need to know the tie-breaking scenario each week, how it breaks down between Titans and Texans.
Old 11-28-2011   #40
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Awesome post. You need to file this away somewhere.

Copy and paste the text of your post. Put it into a text document or Word document for when we need it again. I think a lot of people need to know the tie-breaking scenario each week, how it breaks down between Titans and Texans.
Naw , we dont need this information again .... Texans will go 5-0 to close out the season .... Tits are done. Stick a fork in them.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read