Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-27-2011   #41
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our Running Game........

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
being better prepared doesn't mean ready to run the entire playbook. The guy's a very raw 3rd string rookie. I really hope Kubiak can dial in on what he does know and formulates a game plan that emphasizes that. It'll really boil down to Yate's knowledge of the playbook and his ability to read a por defense.

Yates looked pretty good with pressure in his face. Altlanta can have a pretty good passrush. If he can burn them a few times, I bet they call off the dogs. Having said that, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the naked bootleg on our 1st offensive play.
Agreed. Yates has the beat arm. I'd like a shot down the field on the first play in the Atlanta game.

Quote:
A full week with the 1st team should yield dividends with AJ. I just don;t see Atlanta being able to cover him and Yates should be more comfortable with AJ by next Sunday. Hell, maybe AJ should have Yates spend the next week at his house with him.
No hobo.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #42
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Agreed. Yates has the beat arm. I'd like a shot down the field on the first play in the Atlanta game.

No hobo.
I don't get it.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #43
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

If you are trying to burn the clock, aren't you still supposed to try to move the ball to score? Seven points, no matter who your opponent (e.g., Foster fumble return, Jags dropped EZ TD pass) can happen in an instant, sometimes in just one play. Jones ran for 166 yds. Our 3rd down efficiency was 13% (2/15).
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #44
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
If you are trying to burn the clock, aren't you still supposed to try to move the ball to score? Seven points, no matter who your opponent (e.g., Foster fumble return, Jags dropped EZ TD pass) can happen in an instant, sometimes in just one play. Jones ran for 166 yds. Our 3rd down efficiency was 13% (2/15).
Normally I would certainly agree, but remember that their offense scored a total of 6 points on us with all of that going on. Their O can't score on us, but their D can. Hopefully, teams won't be saying that about OUR O pretty soon.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
No doubt about it.

If Leinart had stayed in the game, I'm sure we'd have continued to play the way we did against Tennessee, Cleveland, & Tampa Bay. Run the ball, move the chains, take a shot every now & then.

But with TJ Yates, they know better than we do how prepared he is.... limiting turnover opportunities was the gamble he took & it paid off.

Had Mercedes Lewis caught that ball, it would have been a different game & a different game-plan.
Old 11-28-2011   #46
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Had Mercedes Lewis caught that ball, it would have been a different game & a different game-plan.
Agree 100per$.01

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using Tapakeg

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #47
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No doubt about it.

If Leinart had stayed in the game, I'm sure we'd have continued to play the way we did against Tennessee, Cleveland, & Tampa Bay. Run the ball, move the chains, take a shot every now & then.

But with TJ Yates, they know better than we do how prepared he is.... limiting turnover opportunities was the gamble he took & it paid off.

Mercedes are over rated

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2011   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Mercedes are over rated
Isn't that a girls name?

Old 11-28-2011   #49
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Isn't that a girls name?

Well kind of. It's a strippers name
Old 11-28-2011   #50
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Jax defense is pretty good .... add in their stacking the box and this is what you get.

I think the game situation - a 10 point lead against a bad offensive team with your 3rd string QB in the game dictated the conservative playcalls.

Yates didnt get sacked or throw an INT .... No mistakes and the result was a W. Cant really complain about that.

The bigger question is where do they go from here? Does Yates become the starter ? Do they bring in a veteran ? Favre and Warner are out of the discussion .... its possible Rosenfels returns to the Texans pending he passes a physical and clears waivers.

Who else is out there that could come in and produce in a couple weeks ?! Maybe Jeff Garcia .... I cant seem to find a list of current FA's.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #51
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Our run game was ineffective because we didn't have a pass game that kept the D honest. I can accept the "game plan" for this particular game.......because we won. But I am not naive enough to believe that will work with an opposing team with a better balanced D and halfway decent O. I hope that Kubiak does not give way to naivete and a post game "It's on me" conference.
Old 11-28-2011   #52
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 48076 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
3 games in a row?

No way.
I was surprised at 2 weeks in a row. But why not, until they stop it.
Old 11-29-2011   #53
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Look at New England man, every game whether they are up by 14-30 they continue to throw it and try to score points.
They also dont stop anybody for the most part. They have to run it up.
Old 11-29-2011   #54
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
I agree, but i don't "think" what we saw today was the game plan... When Yates came in, Kubiak had him throwing it and they got three points out of it... He just reeled him in come the 2nd half just to be safe...

Seeing it was a weak offense we were going up against I'm okay with it..but you're right, against a team with a good offense we've got to try to score..

They knew 10 points was an insurmountable lead for Jax. Was very smart to let him run a quick no huddle at the 2 minute mark because the jags had to expect them to let the half end. Got their cheapy points and rode the wave.
Old 11-29-2011   #55
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Our run game was ineffective because we didn't have a pass game that kept the D honest. I can accept the "game plan" for this particular game.......because we won. But I am not naive enough to believe that will work with an opposing team with a better balanced D and halfway decent O. I hope that Kubiak does not give way to naivete and a post game "It's on me" conference.
Lol, I don't think that even the biggest Texans homer is naive enough to think that game plan would work, and i sure as hell don't think Gariak is that naive...

And it's funny you mention an "it's on me" press conference, because when asked about the second half in his presser yesterday, Kubes actually said "it's on me" lol, and explained how he didn't put the offense in a good position to do well... But i think he knew he wasn't calling it great in the second half, and chose to just play it safe...

I think that's also why we didn't see Tate more in the 2nd half, because though Foster had ball-handling issues Sunday, that's really not an issue with him when looking at his track record, but an issue with Tate... I think not running with Tate may be something he felt he failed at as well, tossing that under the "it's on me" umbrella... Maybe he should have trusted Tate a little more...

But back to the original point, no one is "that" naive (or am i being naive here?)! That game plan we saw in the 2nd half Sunday will not work, which is why it will not be the game-plan this Sunday (not in "all-caps" because it is a correct statement ... Great reply yesterday, CND, just remembered to rep you for it)... The only reason it worked Sunday was because we were up 10 pts against a horrid offense when it went into effect...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #56
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Jacksonville D didn't really fear Leinart going deep on them and Leinart really didn't try too hard. There were good plays call when Leinart was in there where he could have stretched the field a bit more.

When Yates came in, I don't think Kubes knew how bad Leinart was hurt. And so he let Yates go back and wing a few and Yates did a good job.

But then after halftime, you've got Owen Daniels taking snaps on the sideline just in case Yates goes down.

Kubes still allowed him to try to make some throws. (The passes to AJ, for instance.) And Yates showed some spark. But then Kubes realized that he could ice the whole damned game and get out with Yates healthy, and that's the course he took.

I think it was a good call on Kubes' part. My wife was hating the play-calling but I was totally fine with it. It would have been great if our running game could have gotten some first downs in that instance but we got out with the W.

I don't know what Kubes is going to do in the Atlanta game. I expect him to find the things Yates feels most comfy with and build a gameplan around that. I'm not going to be surprised if Kubes treats this game as a test and pulls out some stops to see what Yates is capable of with real bullets flying.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #57
iLoveTexans
Veteran

Rep Power: 275 iLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdastros View Post
I think we miss lawrence vickers a lot. James casey didn't look all that great today.
I don't think Vickers is all that great. In fact i think he clogs up the lanes! Look at previous games when he's in and you'll see that foster loses 1 yard or gains nothing when Vickers is in, this also happens with Tate. Just my OP..
iLoveTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #58
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveTexans View Post
I don't think Vickers is all that great. In fact i think he clogs up the lanes! Look at previous games when he's in and you'll see that foster loses 1 yard or gains nothing when Vickers is in, this also happens with Tate. Just my OP..
Just the opposite of what I've observed.
Old 11-29-2011   #59
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveTexans View Post
Vickers has been really good the times that I have watched him.

He is a really good lead blocker in this offense because he has a little speed on him and is able to get up on the LB's really quickly.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #60
iLoveTexans
Veteran

Rep Power: 275 iLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just the opposite of what I've observed.
Really? I thought he sucked ever since that Raiders game!
iLoveTexans is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read