Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-27-2011   #41
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Kubiak wants to win he's gonna need to trust Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So you agree with GP 100000000 percent?

As long as we win the division, Kubiak's done his job?

That's all I wanted to know.
Win the division AT THE VERY LEAST. Of course I want us to go far in the playoffs. But Kubiak must deliver the division.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #42
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
The Texans are done. McNair will never call Favre and never fire Kubiak this year. If he did he would just promote Phillips to hc which would be another bad move. Keep him at dc. Another season down the drain. For what its worth I don't think Leinert was taking us anywhere either.

I'm sure the Texans will celebrate making the playoffs like other teams would the superbowl. 1 and done and nothing changes. McNair still makes his money and all the Houston lemmings continue to sell out Reliant. Bad luck, cursed or whatever you want to call it all I know is it stinks.
This is what I just love about this ****ing message board.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #43
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

You bet he has to.

The defensive effort today was awesome and Barwin's performance was really fun to watch, even if some of the shine was taken away by that ridiculous roughing call on his sack. But if the play calling is going to consist of what it was today, they're hosed.

Against real contenders, this team can't go practically an entire half without converting a third down. They're taking no time off the clock for the defense to stay off the field. Yes, the defense is great--but how great can they be if they're on the field so much more than they've been in recent weeks?

I really don't care if the Texans win the rest of their games by scores like 9-6. But now that the team's apparently his for a while, if Yates isn't trusted to throw a little, the running game will suffer and the defense will be on the field too much. The ultra-conservative stuff today, although painful to watch, was the right call to preserve the lead and Yates' confidence. Now it's time to treat him like the starter.

This team was good enough to overcome a 2-fumble day by its star RB, including a defensive TD against them, even while fielding a 3rd string QB and getting shut out for a half. They can help bail Yates out when he screws up--and yeah, he's gonna screw up. But if this is the new Texans offense (I don't think it is), we are well and truly done.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #44
The Third Man
All Pro

Rep Power: 6350 The Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
The Texans are done. McNair will never call Favre and never fire Kubiak this year. If he did he would just promote Phillips to hc which would be another bad move. Keep him at dc. Another season down the drain. For what its worth I don't think Leinert was taking us anywhere either.

I'm sure the Texans will celebrate making the playoffs like other teams would the superbowl. 1 and done and nothing changes. McNair still makes his money and all the Houston lemmings continue to sell out Reliant. Bad luck, cursed or whatever you want to call it all I know is it stinks.
It's time to stop following football. Go knit a sweater.
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile View Post
But if the play calling is going to consist of what it was today, they're hosed.
Why would you think it would?

Unless you have absolutely no feel or understanding for the game, you've got to be a complete moaron to not understand why the plays were called the way they were in the second half.

Nobody likes conservative, but I can't imagine any team throwing their third string QB into a game & ask him to sling it around when you've got a 10 point lead on a team that cannot score.

The Jags couldn't score in our first game, both scores came off of turnovers.

They couldn't score in this game, 7 of their 13 points came off a turnovers.

Why would you want to give them a chance to win the game? Our punter vs their punter, that's the way the game played out & we won.
Old 11-27-2011   #46
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

After stepping back for a second, I have decided that Kubiak is gonna take the leash on the young pup and let him loose!!!

8-3 and counting Texans fans!!!
Old 11-27-2011   #47
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Unless you have absolutely no feel or understanding for the game, you've got to be a complete moaron to not understand why the plays were called the way they were in the second half.

Nobody likes conservative, but I can't imagine any team throwing their third string QB into a game & ask him to sling it around when you've got a 10 point lead on a team that cannot score.

Why would you want to give them a chance to win the game? Our punter vs their punter, that's the way the game played out & we won.
This. Yates will throw more against Atlanta after spending a week practicing with the 1st string as the starter. He still probably won't throw a lot, but at least he'll have a better idea of how to throw to the different recievers.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-27-2011   #48
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Agree. I couldn't understand why people in the game thread were complaining about Kubiak going conservative and not stepping on their throat. Given what happened today, going conservative was the right move, IMO.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #49
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, they aren't going to get by with that no pass attack. The Jags have a good D but come on, they were abusing the OL/Foster with run blitzing. The guy looked good on the 2 minute drill and has a good live arm for passing. Shoot for the moon with this guy. You know why? You might just hit it. If he's here, he's ready. Rock and roll!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #50
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 78686 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
This. Yates will throw more against Atlanta after spending a week practicing with the 1st string as the starter. He still probably won't throw a lot, but at least he'll have a better idea of how to throw to the different recievers.
And he can work on timing with the guys, you could tell that his timing was way off. But overall he did very well IMO. His poise/confidence in the pocket is what really impresses me. I think we may have found our QB of the future TBH
Old 11-27-2011   #51
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Agree. I couldn't understand why people in the game thread were complaining about Kubiak going conservative and not stepping on their throat. Given what happened today, going conservative was the right move, IMO.
My only problem is this: Will Gary Kubiak use this as crutch, to rationalize going MORE conservative and trying to use his defense to beat opponents?

I wonder what the mood is, right now, in the Texans locker room.
Old 11-27-2011   #52
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
My only problem is this: Will Gary Kubiak use this as crutch, to rationalize going MORE conservative and trying to use his defense to beat opponents?

I wonder what the mood is, right now, in the Texans locker room.
I'm guessing it's very quiet, since they are probably heading home.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #53
sbalderrama
Rookie

Rep Power: 96 sbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak also mentioned that they went very conservative simply because Yates was the last dressed QB on the roster, and they didn't want him injured. Nobody really wanted OD taking snaps.
sbalderrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #54
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I'm guessing it's very quiet, since they are probably heading home.
You're a smart ass, but a funny one!
Old 11-28-2011   #55
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Thanks for the response, but next time please read past my first paragraph. We agree with each other. From the exact same post for which you implied I was a "moaron:"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile
The ultra-conservative stuff today, although painful to watch, was the right call to preserve the lead and Yates' confidence.
The way the game was played on Sunday was the right way. But that cannot be the playbook for the rest of the season. That's all I was saying.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #56
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile View Post
The way the game was played on Sunday was the right way. But that cannot be the playbook for the rest of the season. That's all I was saying.
This. I think Kubes was making a calculated (and vindicated) decision that his defense was more likely to win the game than on Yates' passing heroics while getting little of the work with the offensive staff last week. This week it MUST be opened up some. If NFL defenses know what's coming, they are going to stop it. And hoping a D which spends too much time on the field can hold a 10 point lead for 30 minutes against a rather bad Jax offense is a lot different than expecting them to completely shut down Atlanta for an entire 60.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #57
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
He was right to go more conservative *today* under the circumstances. I think it was *too* conservative, but yes, I would have thought it reckless to run the full, normal offense.

But with a week of prep, if Yates is going to be the starter next week then he needs to have almost the whole playbook back in there, and work like hell to run it during the week's workouts.
I think for yesterday considering we won he did the right thing.
Old 11-28-2011   #58
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 296584 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
This is what I just love about this ****ing message board.
You would think that such a fortune teller would have won at least one lottery by now...
Old 11-29-2011   #59
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree Kubiak will need to have some faith in Yates for him to succeed. I just hope Kubiak doesn't hit the panic button the first time Yates throws an interception. Hopefully Kubiak lets Yates make a few mistakes, learn from them, and do better in the future. I really think Yates has potential to be very good in the NFL if given a real chance.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #60
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Thanks for trusting TJ coach!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read