Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-25-2011   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default QB Watch, #8 Tyler Wilson (Arkansas vs. LSU)

Going to have to DVR the game, but I plan on watching Arkansas QB Tyler Wilson, #8, a Junior, and see how he does today.

I have a feeling that it's guys like Tyler Wilson who aren't from Big Name University who can do just as good of a job as Barkley and Luck, etc.

I plan on coming back on here and posting a review of Wilson's day today. But if any of you are watching the game, and want to add your thoughts, post it!
Old 11-26-2011   #2
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QB Watch, #8 Tyler Wilson (Arkansas vs. LSU)

Overall, I have liked his game this year, but yesterday did not help his case much. Guessing that he stays another year.

Not sure how University of Arkansas is not big name university in terms of football.
Old 11-26-2011   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

He's got good size , plays in a tough conference , hangs in the pocket and takes a lick . He throws a wobbler but also hurt his neck which hurt his performance . Overall I'd say he someone to keep an eye on .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry not that impressed. I've watched him play several games, best attribute is that he distributes ball around to various options, not one to stare down his primary target. Otherwise I don't like his footwork, launch angle/release point, strength of arm & pocket presence. If he seeks NFL advisory committee for his draft grade I would be surprised if it was higher than a 3rd/4th grade.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Was able to watch the first quarter of play.

I think beerlover is right: Looks good on the plays where he's swinging the pass out to an obviously wide-open target, but tended to lock up a little on plays where he has to wait for things to open up more downfield.

There was one play where he was getting pressured and he hit a guy on a 2nd and 14, IIRC, and the ball was a little high...the WR made a great climb-the-ladder catch for about 10 or 12 yards to give them a good 3rd and short opportunity.

Other than that play, I didn't see much else that impressed me. I haven't watched the rest of the game. Based on the score, it doesn't seem the Hogs did anything noteworthy the rest of the game.

I think a 3rd or 4th round grade would be generous, tbh.
Old 11-26-2011   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

He reminds me of Schaub, 3rd rd.

Has good tough and pocket awareness and is very accurate even under pressure. He lacks arm strength, but has the talent to be a starter in the NFL. Not a franchise level QB, but very good. Luckily arm strength can be improved upon. Accuracy and touch are god given traits and Wilson has those traits. If Wilson had Mallets arm you would be talking about him ih the same breath as Luck/Barkley/RG3.

This was a very good game to watch him perform. LSU has probably three 1/2nd rders in their secondary and Taylor will will probably be drafted in the 3/5th rd range.

My guy Jarius Wright got shut down pretty good. Now I see why he's rated as a 4th rder. He needs to get stronger.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
3rd rd.
What does this mean?

Do you know there are at least 64 players better than he is right now, or do you have a list of qualifiers for each round?
Old 11-26-2011   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I kinda like watching Aaron Murray play, only a sophomore, keep an eye on him. Quick release, seems to have excellent leadership skills early on.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-26-2011   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont know, nobody knows, especially at this point in the season.

I have groupings of players This draft has four 1st rd QB's (Luck, Barkley, RG3, L.Jones)

If Mallett went in the 3rd rd, then Wilson who has a different skill set, but similar abilites then Wilson should go in the 3rd. IMHO

Of course it only take 1 team to fall in love with Wilson and he could go in the 1st rd. (Tebow)
Old 11-26-2011   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I kinda like watching Aaron Murray play, only a sophomore, keep an eye on him. Quick release, seems to have excellent leadership skills early on.
Yep,

If Murray comes out and is available when the Texans are picking in the 1st rd they should take him. IMHO. I like him better than L.Jones, but not as well as Luck/RG3/Barkley.
Old 11-26-2011   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Yep,

If Murray comes out and is available when the Texans are picking in the 1st rd they should take him. IMHO. I like him better than L.Jones, but not as well as Luck/RG3/Barkley.
Murray has a little of that competitive Drew Brees demeanor about him.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-26-2011   #12
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dont know, nobody knows, especially at this point in the season.

I have groupings of players This draft has four 1st rd QB's (Luck, Barkley, RG3, L.Jones)

If Mallett went in the 3rd rd, then Wilson who has a different skill set, but similar abilites then Wilson should go in the 3rd. IMHO

Of course it only take 1 team to fall in love with Wilson and he could go in the 1st rd. (Tebow)
(Ponder, Gabbert, Locker...)
Old 11-26-2011   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Murray has a little of that competitive Drew Brees demeanor about him.
Good comparison

Strong enough arm to make all of the throws. But not an Elway type arm, mobile, moves around in the pocket/bootlegs, but not a runner. He looked great with Green, and very good this yr. Murray is very good at reading defenses, learning under Richt is a bonus.
Old 11-26-2011   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
(Ponder, Gabbert, Locker...)
Which QB's in the 2012 draft would you compare these guys too?
Old 11-26-2011   #15
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep,

Murray will be some bama defense next week the same as Wilson got LSU this week.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read