Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-26-2011   #41
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Can Leinart Lead texans to the play-offs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Not sure if I understand the question but isn't the purpose of the playoffs to determine the best team in the Conference? 12 teams get into the playoffs every year so if that makes your hat propeller twirl, it should be spinning like mad this season. If you want this team to be able to say its one of the top teams in the AFC then you have to beat someone in the playoffs. Anyone really. Other than that, eh...everyone gets into the playoffs here and there. Heck the Browns went one and done a few years ago...so what did that get them?
I'm just asking a question Vinny, haven't said how I felt.

I thought the question was worth discussing. In your mind (& I'm sure several others) a win in the play-offs is the only thing that would make this season relevant.

I personally don't see how that tells us anything if we win in the Wild-Card round & lose in the divisional round. At least I don't see how it is any different than securing the first week bye (as the second seed) & losing that game.

My opinion, anything short of a strong AFC Championship appearance is underachieving for this team.

Am I deluded?

Let's just say it's been said before.
Old 11-26-2011   #42
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Or it could mean that you ran into a hot team. Atlanta finished with the best record in the NFC last season (13-3) but were crushed, at home, by a hot GB squad.

Conversely, the Saints were beat by a 7-9 Seattle team who a lot of folks were saying shouldn't have been allowed in the playoffs with a below .500 record. Do you really think the Seahawks were a better team than the Saints?

That's the trouble, and the beauty, of the playoffs. You can limp in and catch fire and find yourself with a Super Bowl trophy or storm in with the best reg. season record but have a subpar day and get beat and end up going home.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011   #43
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Or it could mean that you ran into a hot team. Atlanta finished with the best record in the NFC last season (13-3) but were crushed, at home, by a hot GB squad.

Conversely, the Saints were beat by a 7-9 Seattle team who a lot of folks were saying shouldn't have been allowed in the playoffs with a below .500 record. Do you really think the Seahawks were a better team than the Saints?

That's the trouble, and the beauty, of the playoffs. You can limp in and catch fire and find yourself with a Super Bowl trophy or storm in with the best reg. season record but have a subpar day and get beat and end up going home.
Ain't that the beauty of the playoffs?
Old 11-26-2011   #44
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm just asking a question Vinny, haven't said how I felt.

I thought the question was worth discussing. In your mind (& I'm sure several others) a win in the play-offs is the only thing that would make this season relevant.

I personally don't see how that tells us anything if we win in the Wild-Card round & lose in the divisional round. At least I don't see how it is any different than securing the first week bye (as the second seed) & losing that game.

My opinion, anything short of a strong AFC Championship appearance is underachieving for this team.

Am I deluded?

Let's just say it's been said before.
Yes, you are. Especially since we have yet to see how this offense operates with Leinart at the controls. It's one thing to say Leinart can function in this offense, it's quite a leap to think he will be as proficient in it as the guy who has been running it for most of the past four years and has taken every snap and made every read for the past two and a half years.

Okay, maybe not deluded, but at least premature. Leinart hasn't taken a snap yet and you are insisting he produce a "strong AFC championship appearance".
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011   #45
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Looks like he could use that additional year of experience.
Or maybe LSU is just >>>> than Ark.
I think LSU looks like men among children out there. Right now, I think they're national champs unless some team can out-gameplan them AND catch them snoozing on their laurels.

Oklahoma State has come down to earth. Arkansas was #3 until they lost to LSU yesterday. And LSU has already beaten 'Bama.

I don't see anybody being able to beat them, but that's why they play the games and blah blah blah, etc., etc.

When Arkansas picked up the weird fumble that popped into the air, and took it to the house for a 14-0 lead on LSU, I thought it was Arkansas' day out there. It took one punt return to change the whole game. LSU is legit.

Quote:

So true. So. True.

Outside of Green Bay, San Francisco (a team playing outside of their minds right now!) and maybe Ravens/Steelers, I don't see any other NFL team that the Texans would be challenged by.

A lot of football left to be played, and even hitting the playoffs the landscape can change dramatically...as you pointed out with the Seahawks upsetting the Saints last year. Anything is possible.
Old 11-27-2011   #46
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 8248 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

A Arizona forum perspective of the Leinart situation. A intersting read with fans and haters of the QB. They like to call him Mr checkdown.

http://forums.azcardinals.com/showthread.php?t=58990

Last edited by pirbroke; 11-27-2011 at 08:39 AM. Reason: oops
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #47
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
A Arizona forum perspective of the Leinart situation. A intersting read with fans and haters of the QB. They like to call him Mr checkdown.

Thanks for posting that link, it was a very interesting read. Below is one of the better posts IMO.

Quote:
Whatever Matt does in Houston, he would not have been able to do it here. The O-Lines are a world apart, the play calling and schemes better, the running back duo is the best in the league, the Defense is tops in the NFL.

Matt is in a great situation now...too bad it had to come by injury but that was realistically the only way he was going to get another chance. I wish him well and am very curious to see how he does, but I won't compare what he does there to what could have been here.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-27-2011   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Found this from a poster with almost 11,000 posts.

Quote:
DarthLlama
I bet he doesn't play long, if he doesn't get hurt he'll fake an injury.

It's pretty clear to me that Matt doesn't want to play, he wants to watch and get paid.
I found it interesting, as I've never heard anything like this about Matt before. He also said:

Quote:
DarthLlama
Still, I'm anxious to see how he plays. My guess is he'll make short safe throws, have a high completion percentage with low yards, and their offense won't turn it over but they won't score either.

But how is the rest of the country going to "judge" him? Are they waiting for him to be the next Brady (who was the ultimate game manager his first 2 or 3 years in that system)?
Old 11-27-2011   #49
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post

rightfully so, i went backed and watched all his pre season play and he is the check down king, the RB Chris O, caught like 90% of his passes. I hope he does a little more than that for us.

But its hard to imagine especially with all the talent he had at WR in Arizona.
Old 11-27-2011   #50
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 11-27-2011   #51
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Found this from a poster with almost 11,000 posts.

Quote:
DarthLlama
I bet he doesn't play long, if he doesn't get hurt he'll fake an injury.

It's pretty clear to me that Matt doesn't want to play, he wants to watch and get paid.

What's up with that? He wasn't looking too bad.... managing the game.
Old 11-27-2011   #52
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What's up with that? He wasn't looking too bad.... managing the game.
that is funny he said that though
Old 11-27-2011   #53
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 241303 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

NickScurfield Nick Scurfield
Leinart said it was his collarbone & felt similar to his season-ending injury in '07. "It's pretty disappointing. Tough to swallow."
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

NickScurfield Nick Scurfield
Matt Leinart: "I think there's probably a pretty strong possibility I won't be coming back this season." #Texans
Old 11-27-2011   #54
Craig.
Nosebleeds

Rep Power: 2738 Craig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respected

As to the original question, I'll go out on a limb and say probably not.
Craig. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #55
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well hot tub time machine worked....it just went back to the wrong time!
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #56
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 14263 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

leinart still had a longer run than kim kardashians wedding
Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read