Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-27-2011   #161
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QB's working out for Texans this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
(Sigh)

You're right. I bet a prior history of sexting is not exactly the best way to become an employee of Robert McNair.

Can't we just get him a freaking Go Phone from Wal-Mart and write into his contract that he can only use the Go Phone from now on?
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #162
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
I look at that FA list of qbs and panic sets in. How some of you say no to Brett is beyond me.

We are one hit away from Owen Daniels & James Casey at QB. Maybe Casey can pull his best Tebow impersonation?

I'm trying to keep my cool and think about this, but I just can't imagine what we're going to do right now. Can someone please talk me off the ledge?
One hit? We've got Yates & Clemens.

Not very promising, but it's not one hit.
Old 11-27-2011   #163
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64065 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
(Sigh)

You're right. I bet a prior history of sexting is not exactly the best way to become an employee of Robert McNair.

Can't we just get him a freaking Go Phone from Wal-Mart and write into his contract that he can only use the Go Phone from now on?
Hes getting older now, so maybe he could be eligible for one of these from AARP.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #164
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Today we saw our offense play without any threat of a passing game. It wasn't pretty. As soon as Jacksonville worked out that Gary wasn't going to throw on first or second down they shut our running game down, crowded everyone up around the line of scrimmage, and brought us to a screeching halt.

That's not likely to change next week. If anything Atlanta will make that their entire defensive game plan. T.J. Yates isn't "Tom Brady II". He's more like the second coming of Dave Ragone at this point.

I believe that if the Texans don't go find a veteran who is a credible threat to occasionally throw the ball beyond the line of scrimmage then our season is pretty much done at around 8-8/9-7.
Old 11-27-2011   #165
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Today we saw our offense play without any threat of a passing game. It wasn't pretty. As soon as Jacksonville worked out that Gary wasn't going to throw on first or second down they shut our running game down, crowded everyone up around the line of scrimmage, and brought us to a screeching halt.

That's not likely to change next week. If anything Atlanta will make that their entire defensive game plan. T.J. Yates isn't "Tom Brady II". He's more like the second coming of Dave Ragone at this point.

I believe that if the Texans don't go find a veteran who is a credible threat to occasionally throw the ball beyond the line of scrimmage then our season is pretty much done at around 8-8/9-7.
I think they will still win at least ten.
Old 11-27-2011   #166
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Plug and play! Plug and play. It matters none who we get. It's the system.

Lmao.
Old 11-27-2011   #167
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What if Yates puts together 2 or 3 qtrs like he did the last 2 minutes of the first half?

Doesn't have to be pretty, as long as we move the ball & prove we're not afraid to go deep.

Yates looked good I thought, for being the third string guy, cold off the bench & connected on his first 4 passes (I think it was first 4).

I don't know that there is a vet out there that would truly give us a better shot than Yates or Clemens at this point.
Old 11-27-2011   #168
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
I seriously see this happening.

Let's face it---Favre isn't a Bob McNair guy what with the peckertext and all.

It's Garcia.
I was just thinking this exact thing. No way would McNair bring in Favre after that scandal. Never mind the fact that Favre is a diva. McNair would object based on that mess with the pictures and the Jets cheerleader.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #169
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
What if Yates puts together 2 or 3 qtrs like he did the last 2 minutes of the first half?

Doesn't have to be pretty, as long as we move the ball & prove we're not afraid to go deep.

Yates looked good I thought, for being the third string guy, cold off the bench & connected on his first 4 passes (I think it was first 4).

I don't know that there is a vet out there that would truly give us a better shot than Yates or Clemens at this point.
That was one series in a two minute drill with the Jaguars trying to keep everything in front of them. He threw passes of 5 and 10 yards before he fumbled a snap and then threw one incomplete to OD. Then he hit Daniels for 24 yards to get us to the 6 before he pushed us back 16 with an intentional grounding penalty.

Very mixed bag and he did nothing in the second half.

I think there are probably 4-5 veterans out there who could do a better job of this than Yates right now. He's a rookie and a rookie who has been sitting on his butt all year, not a rookie who has been playing. He's this years Dave Ragone and it's likely to end the same way that did.
Old 11-27-2011   #170
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Garcia's wife is a former Playmate of the Year. Think McNair will mind?

If he's thinking about anything other than football when considering a rental QB then McNair is a ****ing stooge at this point.

I hope that's not the case.
Old 11-27-2011   #171
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34588 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That was one series in a two minute drill with the Jaguars trying to keep everything in front of them. He threw passes of 5 and 10 yards before he fumbled a snap and then threw one incomplete to OD. Then he hit Daniels for 24 yards to get us to the 6 before he pushed us back 16 with an intentional grounding penalty.

Very mixed bag and he did nothing in the second half.

I think there are probably 4-5 veterans out there who could do a better job of this than Yates right now. He's a rookie and a rookie who has been sitting on his butt all year, not a rookie who has been playing. He's this years Dave Ragone and it's likely to end the same way that did.
He was not given a chance to anything in the second half IMO.
Old 11-27-2011   #172
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman40 View Post
He was not given a chance to anything in the second half IMO.

Exactly. In spite of the fact that the running game was completely stopped Gary preferred running into a waiting defense that was crowding the line to letting Yates throw in any situation other than 3rd and long.

Think about that. He wanted no part of Yates throwing the football. Total sphincter-clench was preferable to the possibility that Yates might throw a pick. Do you think that's going to change in a week?

I don't. I mean, it will have to change obviously because we aren't going to win again this year with an offense like the one we saw in the second half but there's no way on earth Gary can coach Yates up enough in one week to trust him to run an acceptable percentage of our offense.

We're losing to Atlanta. That's almost a given. In two weeks maybe we can put up a reasonable effort against Cincinnati. Maybe.
Old 11-27-2011   #173
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Exactly. In spite of the fact that the running game was completely stopped Gary preferred running into a waiting defense that was crowding the line to letting Yates throw in any situation other than 3rd and long.

Think about that. He wanted no part of Yates throwing the football. Total sphincter-clench was preferable to the possibility that Yates might throw a pick. Do you think that's going to change in a week?

I don't. I mean, it will have to change obviously because we aren't going to win again this year with an offense like the one we saw in the second half but there's no way on earth Gary can coach Yates up enough in one week to trust him to run an acceptable percentage of our offense.

We're losing to Atlanta. That's almost a given. In two weeks maybe we can put up a reasonable effort against Cincinnati. Maybe.
Pessimistist mod

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #174
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Pessimistist mod
Nope, just pessimist. I just think at this position we're at the end of our rope. There's a reason Yates was still there in the 5th round and it wasn't because you have to wait until that round to draft the future Tom Brady's.

He's not ready and he's not gonna be ready.
Old 11-27-2011   #175
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Daunte Culpepper try out?
Chad Pennington
Jake Delhomme
Brodie Croyle
Eric Crouch lol tebow 2
Marc Bulger
Dare I say Farve
Brian Griese
Kurt Warner

I can make arguments for all these guys but I also can make arguments the other way. Texans may be stuck with a rookie this year.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #176
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 49148 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Think the most likely signee by the Texans is Brodie Croyle. Could play Atl next wk with TJ Yates 1, Kellen Clemens 2 and maybe Croyle 3.
@SI_PeterKing

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #177
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm going to be a centrist on this issue.

I don't think it will be easy vs. Falcons, but playing at home and having a full week to get Yates' head straightened out ("YOU are the QB now. It's YOU.") helps a little bit.

The run game could rebound and be effective. I've seen us win UGLY against the Dolphins early in this season, I mean Schaub was throwing checkdown stuff to his RBs and TEs all day long, with maybe a tiny amount of deep throws sprinkled in there. It can happen vs. the Falcons too.

It just stays interesting every week, doesn't it?
Old 11-27-2011   #178
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Daunte Culpepper try out?
Chad Pennington
Jake Delhomme
Brodie Croyle
Eric Crouch lol tebow 2
Marc Bulger
Dare I say Farve
Brian Griese
Kurt Warner

I can make arguments for all these guys but I also can make arguments the other way. Texans may be stuck with a rookie this year.
It's so late in the season right now, it doesn't make sense to bring anyone in with the hopes that he'll take over as #1.

I understand bringing someone in, just in case, get them ready, but not activating him (or Clemens) until we need him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read