Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-23-2011   #121
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QB's working out for Texans this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
This LINK may help figure FA moves.
Thanks, Doc!

Too many player movements to keep track of.
I know some of us guys were signed by other teams like Okoye etc.

Guess we'll wait for that guru guy to come out with a tally some time during the off-season.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011   #122
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Speaking of older QBs, what is Jeff George up to these days?!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Ge...emi-retirement

In November 2008, in an appearance on Sirius NFL Radio, George said, "I find it hard to believe there isn't a place in the game for me. My arm feels like I'm 25," he said. "I'm not asking to be a starter, I just want a spot on a team. I still hold out hope I can play in this league. I'm working out three or four days a week, staying ready. Some people might laugh about it. I've been hearing the excuse, 'You're too old,' but I look at guys now playing near 40, and if you can throw it like I can throw it ... Why wouldn't you take a look at me?"[2] He said of coming back: ďIíve been trying to figure out how to get back in, and it just amazes me that Iím not on somebodyís roster. Iíve been throwing two or three times a week, and every time I go out there to throw, I canít believe Iím not a backup somewhere. I know itís a young manís game, but you canít tell me Iím not better than some of the quarterbacks that are out there. I look at teams like Minnesota or Chicago, and I want to scream at the people in charge, ĎWhat are you thinking?í Ē

More recently, on August 4, 2010 George announced on KFAN Sports radio in Minnesota that he would be willing to step in for veteran QB Brett Favre if Favre decides to retire from the Minnesota Vikings
Old 11-23-2011   #123
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
I think the biggest problem is picking up the remainder of his $9 mil salary.
Once a player makes it through waivers, any team can renegotiate his contract. This is what I'd consider if I were Smith. Floating out that Texans are not interested may be a tactical move. Lienert is FA after 2011 I think and Schaub after 2012. If he makes it through waivers I'd sit him down for a discussion.
Old 11-23-2011   #124
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Once a player makes it through waivers, any team can renegotiate his contract. This is what I'd consider if I were Smith. Floating out that Texans are not interested may be a tactical move. Lienert is FA after 2011 I think and Schaub after 2012. If he makes it through waivers I'd sit him down for a discussion.
Leinart signed a 2 yr deal this season.
Old 11-24-2011   #125
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Anyone see this tweet from McClain on the TT home page?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Brodie Croyle & Kellen Clemens were drafted in 06 along with Matt Leinart. This was before Rick Smith was GM. Just looking through current Texan roster from this draft besides Leinart, Mario, DeMeco, Winston, Daniels, Texans have added Jonathan Joseph (24th overall) Jason Allen (16th overall) Danieal Manning (42nd overall) Rashad Butler (89th) Lawrence Vickers (180th) & Joel Dreeseen (undrafted).

So if they follow form its between Croyle & Clemens
Add Kellen Clemens to the list:

• #1 Mario Williams
  • #10 Matt Leinart
  • #16 Jason Allen
  • #24 Jonathan Joseph
  • #33 DeMeco Ryans
  • #42 Danieal Manning
  • #49 Kellen Clemons
  • #66 Eric Winston
  • #89 Rashad Butler
  • #98 Owen Daniels
  • #180 Lawerence Vickers
  • UDFA Joel Dreessen

OR

Four first rounders, three second rounders, two third rounders, one fourth, one 6th & one undrafted free agent.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #126
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

bump this, because we will be working out some more with Matt2 broken collarbone
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #127
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

call Favre or we are done. I hate to say it but our offense sucks now without Schaub and Leinert.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-27-2011   #128
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Our offense sucks because Yates hasn't been getting a lot of reps in practice. He now will. We'll probably lose the next two now with Yates as the starter, but we can still beat Carolina and Indy and take the division.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #129
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

We need the Ol' Gunslinger...
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #130
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Our offense sucks because Yates hasn't been getting a lot of reps in practice. He now will. We'll probably lose the next two now with Yates as the starter, but we can still beat Carolina and Indy and take the division.
Damnit Why can't this team catch a ****ing break. Come on Texans. We will be this year's Packers and win the whole ****ing thing. Damn injuries threatening to ruin what has been so far a great season
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #131
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm leaning towards Jeff Garcia.
Old 11-27-2011   #132
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care what anyone says, I would place a call to Mississippi yesterday. From everything reported, Jeff Garcia wasn't very good in the UFL so I'd pass on him. At least we know Favre wouldn't be overwhelmed by defenses and can still sling the ball. At this point, anything is better than what I saw in the second half.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #133
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
We need the Ol' Gunslinger...
Uhhh. No.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #134
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
Uhhh. No.
True dat - horrible idea (and that's coming from someone who was a huge Favre fan while he was still playing).
Old 11-27-2011   #135
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Ol mississippi. !!!!!!!!! if matt2 cant go next week screw it lol
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #136
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

nope for Favre we have our #4

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #137
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 33364 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
nope for Favre we have our #4

Can he quarterback? We know he can hit!
Old 11-27-2011   #138
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

kurt warner please or b.favre
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #139
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
call Favre or we are done. I hate to say it but our offense sucks now without Schaub and Leinert.
I don't think we were going anywhere with Leinart anyways.

Our best hope is that TJ Yates transforms from 3rd stringer to Lightning In A Bottle somehow. These are times that define a QB's career moving forward from such an event as what happened in Florida with both our QBs.

If TJ Yates can't take advantage of this situation and get it done in 2011, then he has wasted a huge chance at being among the NFL's best "Unheralded QBs" who came in and started owning the environment.

My worry is that we're down to only a handful of full practices (in pads, right?) that the new CBA says you can have. He needs to feel pressure, get bumped by our defense in practice, etc.

He needs the QB Simulator Machine every day this whole week...and hope that Kubiak turns him loose a little more next week.
Old 11-27-2011   #140
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12794 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Our best hope is that TJ Yates transforms from 3rd stringer to Lightning In A Bottle somehow. These are times that define a QB's career moving forward from such an event as what happened in Florida with both our QBs.
I'm certainly not suggesting it's likely, but a very similar situation elevated Tom Brady -- 6th round pick, pressed into service by injury to one of the better QBs in the game (Drew Bledsoe), and the rest is history. (Brady was second string, but still...)

But longer term, if you are going to have Yates remain the starter, you can't keep protecting him with an extremely limited playbook. Today it made sense to do it to some degree. Moving forward, if you make the decision to start him you need to show some trust in him. If you won't have that trust and give him almost the full playbook to work with, then you need to find another QB you will trust with it.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read