Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-22-2011   #81
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251670 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QB's working out for Texans this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Would really like another QB to be around the practices and meetings this week.

Every week matters. It's not likely that Leinart would get hurt in the Jags game, Yates comes in and also gets hurt in that same game, but it's just the idea that you've gotta' get a third QB in here N-O-W to start seeing, listening, and doing.

Anybody else here a little put off that it's Tuesday and all we have is Leinart and Yates? Bring in Zabranski for all I care, just get a QB3 and let the guy start learning.
Maybe Alex Brink? He can't be that busy.
Old 11-22-2011   #82
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Plus, he would only be active for a maximum of 6 games reducing the original $910,000 to $295,750.
I'm not sure that you can prorate the minimum player salary. I think that you only may be able to do that with a signing bonus.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #83
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
There is a vet minimum reduction to salary cap hit for players with 10+ seasons so it would be 50% of the ordinary accounting.
That's good to know. Also Champion factored in a pro-rated salary. Maybe its more manageable than I had assumed. 6 games is a LOT of football left so... I'd be scrimping away given what's happened to us thus far injury-wise.
Old 11-22-2011   #84
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I'm not sure that you can prorate the minimum player salary.
I'm pretty sure that you can.
Old 11-22-2011   #85
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
And be one good lick away from only having one QB? That's not good planning.
We've carried 2 every other year of the Kubiak era.
Old 11-22-2011   #86
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
We may have carried two on the active roster but we have almost always had one tucked away on the practice squad.
Old 11-22-2011   #87
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think 2006 was the only year Kubiak has carried only two QBs.
2007 -- Schaub, Rosenfels, and Shane Boyd (he was a P/S guy).
2008 -- Schaub, Rosenfels, and a P/S QB (maybe Boyd but that doesn't seem right...??)
2009 -- Schaub, Rex Grossman, D. Orlovsky
2010 -- Schaub, Orlovsky, Leinart
2011 -- Schaub, Leinart, Yates
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-22-2011   #88
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Pretty much got away from that two years ago (2009) with Schaub/Grossman/Orlovsky, and continued the trend to three QB's last year with Schaub/Orlovsky/Leinart.

Besides that, two deep with Schaub and Rosenfels is way different that two deep with Leinart and Yates.
Old 11-22-2011   #89
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think 2006 was the only year Kubiak has carried only two QBs.
2007 -- Schaub, Rosenfels, and Shane Boyd (he was a P/S guy).
2008 -- Schaub, Rosenfels, and a P/S QB (maybe Boyd but that doesn't seem right...??)
2009 -- Schaub, Rex Grossman, D. Orlovsky
2010 -- Schaub, Orlovsky, Leinart
2011 -- Schaub, Leinart, Yates

Leinart was inactive all 16 games last year per Texans website.

• Inactive as the third quarterback for all 16 games of the regular season.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/ro...d-90197b947f38
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #90
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post
Leinart was inactive all 16 games last year per Texans website.

• Inactive as the third quarterback for all 16 games of the regular season.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/ro...d-90197b947f38
I think the NFL had a rule that allowed that "inactive" third QB to be an "emergency QB" in case the other two get hurt. So, if necessary, Leinart could have played. This year the owners bumped up the game day roster from 45 to 46 active players. No need for the emergency 3rd QB to be inactive.

Here's some info on that rule change...
Old 11-22-2011   #91
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd take Garrard over these guys if he is healthy after back surgery. This group is uninspiring to say the least. Yates would probably do just as good as any of those 5qbs. I know they want a veteran backup but there comes a time when you have to just say no. It is really late in the season also. At least Yates knows the playbook. Go with Leinert and Yates and hope Kubiak was right when he and Smith signed these guys.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #92
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I'd take Garrard over these guys if he is healthy after back surgery. This group is uninspiring to say the least. Yates would probably do just as good as any of those 5qbs. I know they want a veteran backup but there comes a time when you have to just say no. It is really late in the season also. At least Yates knows the playbook. Go with Leinert and Yates and hope Kubiak was right when he and Smith signed these guys.
Garcia was a WCO QB for a long time.
The Jags (Garrard and Edwards) did a lot of things that are the same as the Texans: short WCO routes and play-action.

I can see why the Texans brought these guys in for a look-see.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #93
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jeff Garcia and Trent Edwards working out for Texans

Quote:
If Garcia has this at home, the fact that he ever leaves the house at all means his decision-making is suspect.

He's out due to senility or poor judgement.
But rememeber---for every beautiful woman, there's some guy who's tired of her bullshit!

That said, I don't think that's the problem in this situation. He's got three kids with her. He may just need to get out of the house for a few hours to keep his sanity.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #94
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Jeff Garcia Talks About Texans Workout
by Avinash Kunnath • Nov 22, 2011 7:01 AM PST

Jeff Garcia is probably forgotten among the best San Francisco 49ers quarterbacks had to offer, but he was fairly solid in his time at QB. And he's proven that he could play at a fairly productive level long into his career, playing as late as 2008 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Garcia has been considering a comeback, and discussed the issue on 95.7 THE GAME with John Lund & Mychael Urban. He talked about Smith's success. You can listen to the audio by clicking here.

On how he felt his workout went:

I got a call from Houston, I came out, went through a workout with the guys out here and you know, I thought it went pretty well considering there was a little bit of rust to dust off. I felt like considering who they brought in I held my own, and it just comes down to them making the decision as to what direction they want to go in as far as who they’re going to bring in to help out the starter that they have in right now.

On whether he was worked out individually or in a group with the Texans:
They brought us all together. They brought Kellen Clemens, a kid out of Oregon, Trent Edwards, local guy right there…Stanford product, Los Gatos kid, and Brodie Croyle from Alabama, and Chase Clements I believe, from Rice. So you know, I was the old man of the group but I’ll be the old man of any group that I throw the ball with. And you know, just to be out there and run around, and show that I still have a 30 inch vertical jump for 41 years old…I’m not complaining.

Jeff Garcia Talks About Texans Workout, 49ers QB Alex Smith
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #95
mokalus
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 mokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respected

Kyle Orton cut by Broncos today. Just sayin'.
mokalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #96
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokalus View Post
I saw that.
I was like, WTF?!?
Is this a money-saving move or what?
Old 11-22-2011   #97
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 107142 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure what the salary is of Kyle.

Read that Texans are 1.9 million under the cap
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #98
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokalus View Post
He'll probably get picked up off of waivers before he makes it down to us, but if he somehow makes it past all those teams needing a QB, Kubiak would be an ***** not to go after him.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #99
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Not sure what the salary is of Kyle.

Read that Texans are 1.9 million under the cap
ESPN saying $2.5 million. Bears may be ibterest but he might not as one analyst said
'Been a divorce. Doubt he will go back"

KC may make a claim but Houston should be in the hunt.
Old 11-22-2011   #100
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

INfo on contract of Orton different than I understood ESPN to say:

8/19/2010: Signed a two-year, $11.621 million contract. The deal contains $5.499 million guaranteed, including $2.879 million of his second-year base salary. 2011: $7.379 million (+ $1.5 million roster bonus), 2012: Free Agent
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3214/kyle-orton

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read