Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-21-2011   #1
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default QB's working out for Texans this week

Jeff Garcia and Trent Edwards are working out for texans with Kellen Clemens and Brody Croyle.

https://twitter.com/#!/McClain_on_NF...79297400516609
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #2
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15762 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Anyone see this tweet from McClain on the TT home page?

McClain_on_NFL Jeff Garcia and Trent Edwards are working out for texans with Kellen Clemens and Brody Croyle.

What do you think of these 4 qb's? Do the Texans sign anyone out of this bunch?
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #3
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1975 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Anyone see this tweet from McClain on the TT home page?

If we MUST sign any of the four, I guess I'd go with Garcia.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I take Garcia out of that bunch, That's just me though.
Old 11-21-2011   #5
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 843 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14
Default Re: Jeff Garcia and Trent Edwards working out for Texans

Quote:
The 5 QBs working out for the Texans today: Jeff Garcia, Trent Edwards, Chase Clement, Brody Croyle, Kellen Clemens
- Nick Scurfield
Old 11-21-2011   #6
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15762 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is a link to the story now up on the Texans page on chron.com

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #7
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 11679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Jeff Garcia at whatever age he's at would still be better than all 4 of those guys combined.
Old 11-21-2011   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd sign Jeff Garcia.

He filled in for Donovan McNabb and actually led the Eagles to a lot of wins.

He's mobile, smart, and older. Before anybody knocks his age, just remember that a little age might be valuable the deeper into the season and the playoffs we get. You want someone who has seen a lot in the NFL.

Besides, the offense we have and the defense we have...you just need reliable, smart QBs who can run the plays and distribute the football efficiently.

Of course, this is just me remembering the Jeff Garcia I saw play for the Eagles several, several years ago. What he does now, in these tryouts, could be a lot less than what Kubiak feels he needs.

All I know is that I am not comfortable with just having TJ Yates as QB2 right now. We need something else at QB2. Period.
Old 11-21-2011   #9
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 5378 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Does Garcia come with his own supply of Geritol?
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe we also are probably looking for someone who can run practice offenses too. I'm sure with Yates moving up that leaves no QB to run the practice for the defense to go against.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #11
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Rep Power: 11679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly wish Sage was available as a backup. Can't believe i'm saying those words.
Old 11-21-2011   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Whoever that is most fit out there on the field!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTexas2Step View Post
If we MUST sign any of the four, I guess I'd go with Garcia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Yep.

Ryan in the other thread, and myself, are thinking the same thing.

He's mobile, smart, and has West Coast offense experience.
Old 11-21-2011   #14
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I agree that he's the best option in terms of talent and familiarity with the basics of our offense (I actually brought his name up on this board last week). The only concern is that in the past, Garcia hasn't been great with the idea of being a backup QB. Here's a blurb from when Oakland released him before the '09 season:

Quote:
Garcia, who has 116 starts in 10 NFL seasons, signed a one-year contract with Oakland in April and acknowledged then the idea of being a backup was tough to handle, which may have factored into the team's decision to release the 39-year-old quarterback.
LINK

Two years away from the NFL may have mellowed him somewhat, but if they bring him in, he better be crystal clear on what his role will be.
Old 11-21-2011   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

In the UFL last year, 51% completion rate (255 attempts) with 9 TDs and 11 INTs.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I agree that he's the best option in terms of talent and familiarity with the basics of our offense (I actually brought his name up on this board last week). The only concern is that in the past, Garcia hasn't been great with the idea of being a backup QB. Here's a blurb from when Oakland released him before the '09 season:

LINK

Two years away from the NFL may have mellowed him somewhat, but if they bring him in, he better be crystal clear on what his role will be.

I imagine he will be. 41 year old QB's sitting at home during the 10th week of the season aren't exactly a hot commodity. There's no way he can't not know that. Anyone in his position signing with the Texans is a security blanket to keep Yates from being destroyed. He'll be #2 on the depth chart and stay there unless Leinart just completely unravels and lets face it; If Leinart can't stand 41 year old Jeff Garcia breathing down his neck then he's not going to help us much anyway.

This is a chance to contribute to a playoff run. It's an old timer maybe scoring a ring before he calls it a career. That's what I like about the possibility of signing him. He's not a factor next year at all.
Old 11-21-2011   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post

LINK

Who was the QB in Oakland back then? I think he felt that way because he felt the guy in front of him wasn't anyone special. Over here, he knows Schaub is going to take his job back.
Old 11-21-2011   #18
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Trent Edwards is the only player who intrigues me. Did decent on some pretty bad teams. Then again he was released by the Raiders earlier this year.
Old 11-21-2011   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
In the UFL last year, 51% completion rate (255 attempts) with 9 TDs and 11 INTs.
I saw a few of his games and he was still able to sling it around. What are you going to lose with a 3rd stringer. Honestly if it comes down to.... (I won't say but you know what I wanna say).
Old 11-21-2011   #20
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Who was the QB in Oakland back then? I think he felt that way because he felt the guy in front of him wasn't anyone special. Over here, he knows Schaub is going to take his job back.

Wasn't it still JRuss?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read