Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-20-2011   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Burge:Is Matt Schaub underappreciated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Dude in 2009 we had no running game, in 2010 we had no defense. I take 2011 matt schaub any day of the week. Cause that means we have a running game and a good defense.
I'd like for that play-making Matt Schaub to be on the team with that running game.

I'm talking about instead of throwing the ball away on third down, extending the play & making something happen. Stay on the field & score.

Doesn't matter that we don't "need" him to do it, that's not stopping Aaron Rodgers...

I'm talking about staying on the field vs New Orleans & not letting Drew Brees score twice to win the game.

I'm talking about winning the game at home vs Oakland.

I'm talking about being 9-1 right now with a clear lead in the AFC.
Old 11-20-2011   #22
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'd like for that play-making Matt Schaub to be on the team with that running game.

I'm talking about instead of throwing the ball away on third down, extending the play & making something happen. Stay on the field & score.

Doesn't matter that we don't "need" him to do it, that's not stopping Aaron Rodgers...

I'm talking about staying on the field vs New Orleans & not letting Drew Brees score twice to win the game.

Man we are 7-3. That is somewhere we have never been, i will take what schaub has done so far this season.
Old 11-20-2011   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Man we are 7-3. That is somewhere we have never been, i will take what schaub has done so far this season.
So will I. But if another QB has to take snaps, I'll hope he plays as well or better.
Old 11-20-2011   #24
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well remember a few weeks ago half of this board wanted him out of here, so yeah I'd definitely say he's under appreciated. People didn't want to take notice at all the last two seasons at how close he kept us in so many games where our defense was atrocious. I think Matt can be clutch, but I just don't think you can expect him to be all of the time like you can with Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Ben, and Manning. He has had some clutch type drives though. It's like I kept saying when everyone wanted him sent packing, Schaub is a top 10 QB and that's not to shabby when you have 32 teams in the NFL. I'll take a top 10 guy any day of the week. A lot of people forget what it was like when we had Carr around here.
Texecutioner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011   #25
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is woefully under-appreciated here, imo.

One point, though: I didn't see too many bench Schaub, start Leinart/Leinart is the better Matt threads/articles this year until the injury.
Old 11-20-2011   #26
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 283140 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

It doesn't really matter now. What we have is Leinart for the rest of the season. The only thing we can do is hope that Kubiak does what he is supposed to be able to do, coach up a QB and make the offense work.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011   #27
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
NFL Inside the Numbers

Folks at stats looked at most clutch QBs. Schaub comes in at 5th this year. FWIW.

Interestingly same link says Texans D is by far the best in the league against the play action pass. /no surprise given who they've practiced against.

Bengals worst against play action. File that away in your brain pan.
Notice that Houston is #1 with results of 1 TD and 4 Ints?

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-20-2011   #28
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 133684 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
It doesn't really matter now. What we have is Leinart for the rest of the season. The only thing we can do is hope that Kubiak does what he is supposed to be able to do, coach up a QB and make the offense work.
Truer words have not been spoken.

On the bright side, we have the coolest QB in the league under center now. #Fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #29
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I wanted to add something. He's good. He's good enough. He could be upgraded and if you look around the league with only a handful of exceptions almost everyone takings snaps either could be upgraded or is there as a result of someone who got upgraded. No NFL team is ever "done". They add and subtract players every year. You all know this.

The thing I hear most with regard to Schaub is that he's far from the biggest issue on our team. I've always felt that way too but lately I've started to wonder.

Is the biggest issue our top ranked defense? Maybe it's our incredible running game? I know, it's our widely regarded as the best line in football offensive line. I'm being sarcastic here but the QB position isn't as far from being "fair game" for an upgrade as many of us have thought in the past. It's starting to look like we might see signs of life out of KJ and we'll get Manning back eventually. The secondary isn't in as dire need as it once was. Our WR's could use some help. That's true. We could beef up the DL. If a QB is there when we pick in the first or second round though why not look at him (assuming Leinart doesn't live up to all of our hopes)?
of course u pick a qb if one is available, right now the Texans are at the point where we are Taking the best player available at whatever draft pick we get. If it is a Qb then u draft him and sit him behind schaub and hope he develops into a person that can. take the reigns from him. Same thing at the WR position and all positions. We got a solid starting linup and some pretty good backups.
Old 11-21-2011   #30
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Start Sage!!

Old 11-21-2011   #31
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

no offence to Alan, but can we just let Mattie Hot Tub get a game or two under his belt then compare the two, when it matters, to see just how under or over appreciated QB play actually is in Kubiak/Texan system?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #32
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Start Sage!!

Bill....
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #33
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

He's both underappreciated and overappreciated IMO... He's like most Tier 2-3 QBs, very polarizing in their respected NFL cities... He can never be "just good enough"...

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using Tapakeg

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #34
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83279 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i by no means think that Schaub is an above elite QB, but i do feel that Matt Leinart is a less than average QB. Just funny to me how some think that Leinart will come in and do better than Schaub, i hope they are right, but i fear that is very very unlikely
Bingo! If Leinart were as good or better than Schaub, he would have been the starter. Fact is, the playbook will have to be pared down in some places to fit Leinart, just like some plays can be added because of what Leinart can do. However, you don't want to tinker with the system too much. All the same, I think many of those that don't like Schaub will come around once they get a look at things with Leinart. I'll be most curious to see if he can throw an out pattern with enough zing not to be throwing pick-6's. I still questions his arm strength.

Quote:
None of the arguments for Leinart are based on any amazing ability he has shown in the NFL so far. It's all about hope... why people can't see that, I don't know.
Funny how you weren't able to recognize "hope" when the Raiders made their trade for Carson Palmer; which by the way is working out rather well if I must say so myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
NFL Inside the Numbers

Folks at stats looked at most clutch QBs. Schaub comes in at 5th this year. FWIW.

Interestingly same link says Texans D is by far the best in the league against the play action pass. /no surprise given who they've practiced against.

Bengals worst against play action. File that away in your brain pan.
Schaub is a good QB, and is indeed under-appreciated. I'd put him in the same group as a Philip Rivers, Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler and Eli Manning.

Quote:

Uh, a lot of teams can look back and say "what if", I mean just look at my Raiders. If they wouldn't have let Buffalo come back on them, if Campbell didn't go down and the Raiders didn't have to play Boller or Palmer off the couch they would have beaten the Donks and Chiefs, and they too would have been 9-1. They lost to the Patriots, no if's, and's or but's. Point being, you are what your record says you are, and the Texans currently are 7-3.
Old 11-21-2011   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Funny how you weren't able to recognize "hope" when the Raiders made their trade for Carson Palmer; which by the way is working out rather well if I must say so myself.
Being this is a Texans board, I felt my time would be better spent pissing in your cheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Uh, a lot of teams can look back and say "what if", I mean just look at my Raiders. If they wouldn't have let Buffalo come back on them, if Campbell didn't go down and the Raiders didn't have to play Boller or Palmer off the couch they would have beaten the Donks and Chiefs, and they too would have been 9-1. They lost to the Patriots, no if's, and's or but's. Point being, you are what your record says you are, and the Texans currently are 7-3.
You missed the point entirely. It was not about us being 9-1, it was about the Matt Schaub we've seen this year is not the Matt Schaub who is near elite. Maybe he didn't have to be. But how is he supposed to know that?

I want a guy, a QB, who will fight to win every single play. That doesn't mean he needs to force throws, but if the probability of Matt throwing the ball away when he leaves the pocket is substantially greater than the probability that he will "make a play" then we've got the wrong guy in there.
Old 11-21-2011   #36
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

This seems like a straw man debate. Set up "Schaub is under appreciated" in order to knock it down.

But honestly, I've only heard a couple of nitwit callers on sports talk radio who advocate getting another QB, but I completely disregard their opinions as morons when they don't have basic facts about Schaub and start suggesting idiotic things like "we need Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady". It's just a stupid take and causes an immediate reaction in me to put on a CD in order to make the stupid stop burning my brain.

Schaub is not elite, but he's definitely in the top third of starting QBs in the league. There are many teams in the league that would love to have him on their roster.

I agree with Herv that people are just trying to remain optimistic when talking about Leinart. Nobody knows at this point.
Old 11-21-2011   #37
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
He's both underappreciated and overappreciated IMO... He's like most Tier 2-3 QBs, very polarizing in their respected NFL cities... He can never be "just good enough"...

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using Tapakeg
I think I agree with this. But like Beerlover basically said....you really don't know how much you miss something until it's gone...

We will see how much Schaub is missed. Extremely likely he will be missed, but to what degree we don't know yet.

On another note, I re-watched the first drive of the Steelers game and Schaub made some good throws that I had forgotten about. We had a few penalties on the drive and Shammy made some good throws to keep the chains moving. On 3rd and long he had a really good throw to OD that was kind of in between two Steelers....
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #38
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You missed the point entirely. It was not about us being 9-1, it was about the Matt Schaub we've seen this year is not the Matt Schaub who is near elite. Maybe he didn't have to be. But how is he supposed to know that?
OK for the anti-stat people yeah he has been down from prior (stellar - wouldn't want to use the elite word) performances. And yet has the 6th highest QB rating in the league. What is elite with 32 teams? - 2, 3, 4? Wide receivers drop balls, even great ones like AJ. Running backs fumble balls, even great ones like Sanders, Smith, Brown. Quarter backs have errant throws, even great ones like Staubach, Montana, Elway. This expectation of perfection is getting irritating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
This seems like a straw man debate. Set up "Schaub is under appreciated" in order to knock it down.

But honestly, I've only heard a couple of nitwit callers on sports talk radio who advocate getting another QB, but I completely disregard their opinions as morons when they don't have basic facts about Schaub and start suggesting idiotic things like "we need Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady". It's just a stupid take and causes an immediate reaction in me to put on a CD in order to make the stupid stop burning my brain.

Schaub is not elite, but he's definitely in the top third of starting QBs in the league. There are many teams in the league that would love to have him on their roster.

I agree with Herv that people are just trying to remain optimistic when talking about Leinart. Nobody knows at this point.
Agreed with the exception of there were quite a few people calling in on radio earlier this season acting like Schaub was the problem on the team. And frankly people acting like they know Leinart will be "as good or better" than Schaub are taking a dig at him as well. I hope it is true but there is no reason to believe so.
Old 11-21-2011   #39
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Quarter backs have errant throws, even great ones like Staubach, Montana, Elway. This expectation of perfection is getting irritating.
Right, but those QB's were considered great for a reason.

Unless we are going to put Schaub in the same category as those guys I don't understand the point.

Last edited by Rey; 11-21-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #40
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
OK for the anti-stat people yeah he has been down from prior (stellar - wouldn't want to use the elite word) performances. And yet has the 6th highest QB rating in the league. What is elite with 32 teams? - 2, 3, 4? Wide receivers drop balls, even great ones like AJ. Running backs fumble balls, even great ones like Sanders, Smith, Brown. Quarter backs have errant throws, even great ones like Staubach, Montana, Elway. This expectation of perfection is getting irritating.
I'm sure there are people unreasonably asking Matt Schaub to be perfect. I'm not one of those. I'm simply asking him to play with the same urgency we saw the past two years, where every possession, every snap was crucial & he went beyond the standard drop back, read the defense & throw the ball.

He extended plays, he made things happen.

We still didn't convert on every third down, we still didn't score on every possession, but he greatly increased our chances of both, by not just taking what the defense gave us, but making things happen.
Quote:
Agreed with the exception of there were quite a few people calling in on radio earlier this season acting like Schaub was the problem on the team. And frankly people acting like they know Leinart will be "as good or better" than Schaub are taking a dig at him as well. I hope it is true but there is no reason to believe so.

eh.. I know for Leinart to bring to the table what Schaub has brought to the table he's going to have to play better than he's every played before.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read