Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011   #1
bah007
Hall of Fame
 
bah007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 8,903
Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default bah007's Top 5(ish) by Position

Well, we're nearing the end of the regular season for college football and we just passed the midpoint of the season for the NFL. Here's my take on the top guys at each position for this year's draft class.

QB
1.Andrew Luck Stanford*
2.Matt Barkley USC*
3.Landry Jones Oklahoma*
4.Robert Griffin Baylor*
5.Ryan Tannehill Texas A&M

HB
1.Trent Richardson Alabama*
2.Lamar Miller Miami*
3.Chris Polk Washington*
4.Doug Martin Boise St

FB
1.Joe Suhey Penn St
2.Cody Johnson Texas
3.Joe Halahuni Oregon St

WR - should be good talent even through the 3rd round
1.Justin Blackmon Oklahoma St*
2.Alshon Jeffery South Carolina*
3.Michael Floyd Notre Dame
4.Mohamed Sanu Rutgers*
5.Dwight Jones North Carolina
6.Nick Toon Wisconsin
7.Kendall Wright Baylor
8.Jeff Fuller Texas A&M

TE - extremely weak class
1.Dwayne Allen Clemson*
2.Coby Fleener Stanford
3.George Bryan North Carolina St

OT
1.Matt Kalil USC*
2.Jonathan Martin Stanford*
3.Riley Reiff Iowa*
4.Mike Adams Ohio St
5.Zebrie Sanders Florida St

OG
1.David DeCastro Stanford*
2.Kelechi Osmele Iowa St
3.Cordy Glenn Georgia
4.Lucas Nix Pittsburgh
5.Kevin Zeitler Wisconsin

C
1.Peter Konz Wisconsin*
2.Michael Brewster Ohio St
3.Ben Jones Georgia

DE
1.Quinton Coples North Carolina
2.Melvin Ingram South Carolina
3.Whitney Mercilus Illinois*
4.Nick Perry USC*
5.Andre Branch Clemson

34 DE
1.Devon Still Penn St
2.Melvin Ingram South Carolina
3.Jerel Worthy Michigan St*
4.Billy Winn Boise St
5.Jared Crick Nebraska

DT
1.Brandon Thompson Clemson
2.Devon Still Penn St
3.Jerel Worthy Michigan St*
4.Billy Winn Boise St
5.Kendall Reyes Connecticut

NT
1.Brandon Thompson Clemson (one gap NT)
2.Dontari Poe Memphis* (kudos to badboy, who has been all over this guy)
3.Alameda Ta'amu Washington
4.Josh Chapman Alabama
5.Tydreke Powell North Carolina

OLB
1.Zach Brown North Carolina
2.Ronnell Lewis Oklahoma*
3.Lavonte David Nebraska
4.Travis Lewis Oklahoma
5.Nico Johnson Alabama*

34 OLB
1.Courtney Upshaw Alabama
2.Ronnell Lewis Oklahoma*
3.Whitney Mercilus Illinois*
4.Brandon Jenkins Florida St*
5.Nick Perry USC*

ILB - incredible top talent at this position
1.Luke Kuechly Boston College*
2.Vontaze Burfict Arizona St*
3.Manti Te'o Notre Dame*
4.Dont'a Hightower Alabama
5.Kevin Reddick North Carolina*

CB
1.Morris Claiborne LSU*
2.Alfonzo Dennard Nebraska
3.Dre Kirkpatrick Alabama*
4.Janoris Jenkins North Alabama
5.Chase Minnifield Virginia
6.Jayron Hosley Virginia Tech*
7.Johnathan Banks Mississippi St*
8.Stephon Gilmore South Carolina*

S
1.Mark Barron Alabama (SS)
2.T.J. McDonald USC* (FS)
3.Markelle Martin Oklahoma St (SS)
4.Robert Lester Alabama* (can play both)
5.Ray Ray Armstrong Miami* (SS)
6.Winston Guy Kentucky (can play both)

K
1.Randy Bullock Texas A&M
2.Derek Dimke Illinois
3.Danny Hrapmann Southern Miss

P
1.Drew Butler Georgia
2.Bryan Anger California
3.Kyle Martens Rice
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #2
Ndevine7
All Pro
 
Ndevine7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York
Age: 22
Posts: 532
Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: bah007's Top 5(ish) by Position

great job only thing i disagree with is Criner not being on the list. Maybe its because I am very high on Criner but I see Criner as a better prospect than Toon, Wright, Fuller.
__________________
Noel Devine Heisman 2010
Ndevine7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame
 
bah007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 8,903
Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: bah007's Top 5(ish) by Position

I like Criner as well. I think he will go in the late second round. Fuller and Criner are pretty much 8A and 8B for me right now. I just list Fuller in front of him because he is a better blocker (not that Criner isn't a good one though).

I see about ten WRs in this class that have a very solid chance of being taken in the first two rounds.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #4
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid
 
Honoring Earl 34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Age: 51
Posts: 19,348
Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: bah007's Top 5(ish) by Position

I think the Texans can get better but it's the first time they don't have a glaring weakness that needs to be filled ASAP .

The Steelers used to pick 3-4 front 7 in every draft it seemed . Some early some late but they picked them .

They could upgrade or add depth at WR , CB , OL , maybe QB after a few weeks .
__________________
I wanted to write something big .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,552
Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: bah007's Top 5(ish) by Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I like Criner as well. I think he will go in the late second round. Fuller and Criner are pretty much 8A and 8B for me right now. I just list Fuller in front of him because he is a better blocker (not that Criner isn't a good one though).

I see about ten WRs in this class that have a very solid chance of being taken in the first two rounds.
I'm just not crazy about this class as most. Question marks @ the top- is Blackmon maxed out, why has Jefferies lost his quickness/explosiveness. Then a bunch of big, but slow WR's with questionable hands & work ethic. The best ones all seem small, to find quickness, better route running & hands.
__________________

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #6
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 24,057
Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: bah007's Top 5(ish) by Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I'm just not crazy about this class as most. Question marks @ the top- is Blackmon maxed out, why has Jefferies lost his quickness/explosiveness. Then a bunch of big, but slow WR's with questionable hands & work ethic. The best ones all seem small, to find quickness, better route running & hands.
What I've been saying for weeks. I agree 100% Beerlover. I want a fast deep threat that can stretch field----Kendall Wright.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #7
bah007
Hall of Fame
 
bah007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 8,903
Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: bah007's Top 5(ish) by Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I'm just not crazy about this class as most. Question marks @ the top- is Blackmon maxed out, why has Jefferies lost his quickness/explosiveness. Then a bunch of big, but slow WR's with questionable hands & work ethic. The best ones all seem small, to find quickness, better route running & hands.
I feel the same way, but I'm getting the sense that about ten of these guys will go in the first two rounds.

I like Jeffery, but his lack of production this year is a red flag. He had the same guys throwing to him last year and put up crazy stats.

I like Sanu a lot, but we would have to use a first on him if we wanted him. Either that or work some kind of trade back.

I'm a big, big fan of Dwight Jones. The only guy I like more than Sanu.

After that, you have the group of smaller, quicker guys who will probably give you better value.

Kendall Wright - 2nd/3rd
T.Y. Hilton - 3rd
Broyles - 3rd
A.J. Jenkins - 4th

I also really like Jordan White (3rd/4th) and Jarrett Boykin (4th).

I think the fact that the league is becoming more pass oriented is causing these WRs to climb up the boards.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-18-2011   #8
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 24,057
Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: bah007's Top 5(ish) by Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Well, we're nearing the end of the regular season for college football and we just passed the midpoint of the season for the NFL. Here's my take on the top guys at each position for this year's draft class.

QB
1.Andrew Luck Stanford*
2.Matt Barkley USC*
3.Landry Jones Oklahoma*
4.Robert Griffin Baylor*
5.Ryan Tannehill Texas A&M

HB
1.Trent Richardson Alabama*
2.Lamar Miller Miami*
3.Chris Polk Washington*
4.Doug Martin Boise St

FB
1.Joe Suhey Penn St
2.Cody Johnson Texas
3.Joe Halahuni Oregon St

WR - should be good talent even through the 3rd round
1.Justin Blackmon Oklahoma St*
2.Alshon Jeffery South Carolina*
3.Michael Floyd Notre Dame
4.Mohamed Sanu Rutgers*
5.Dwight Jones North Carolina
6.Nick Toon Wisconsin
7.Kendall Wright Baylor
8.Jeff Fuller Texas A&M

TE - extremely weak class
1.Dwayne Allen Clemson*
2.Coby Fleener Stanford
3.George Bryan North Carolina St

OT
1.Matt Kalil USC*
2.Jonathan Martin Stanford*
3.Riley Reiff Iowa*
4.Mike Adams Ohio St
5.Zebrie Sanders Florida St

OG
1.David DeCastro Stanford*
2.Kelechi Osmele Iowa St
3.Cordy Glenn Georgia
4.Lucas Nix Pittsburgh
5.Kevin Zeitler Wisconsin

C
1.Peter Konz Wisconsin*
2.Michael Brewster Ohio St
3.Ben Jones Georgia

DE
1.Quinton Coples North Carolina
2.Melvin Ingram South Carolina
3.Whitney Mercilus Illinois*
4.Nick Perry USC*
5.Andre Branch Clemson

34 DE
1.Devon Still Penn St
2.Melvin Ingram South Carolina
3.Jerel Worthy Michigan St*
4.Billy Winn Boise St
5.Jared Crick Nebraska

DT
1.Brandon Thompson Clemson
2.Devon Still Penn St
3.Jerel Worthy Michigan St*
4.Billy Winn Boise St
5.Kendall Reyes Connecticut

NT
1.Brandon Thompson Clemson (one gap NT)
2.Dontari Poe Memphis* (kudos to badboy, who has been all over this guy)
3.Alameda Ta'amu Washington
4.Josh Chapman Alabama
5.Tydreke Powell North Carolina

OLB
1.Zach Brown North Carolina
2.Ronnell Lewis Oklahoma*
3.Lavonte David Nebraska
4.Travis Lewis Oklahoma
5.Nico Johnson Alabama*

34 OLB
1.Courtney Upshaw Alabama
2.Ronnell Lewis Oklahoma*
3.Whitney Mercilus Illinois*
4.Brandon Jenkins Florida St*
5.Nick Perry USC*

ILB - incredible top talent at this position
1.Luke Kuechly Boston College*
2.Vontaze Burfict Arizona St*
3.Manti Te'o Notre Dame*
4.Dont'a Hightower Alabama
5.Kevin Reddick North Carolina*

CB
1.Morris Claiborne LSU*
2.Alfonzo Dennard Nebraska
3.Dre Kirkpatrick Alabama*
4.Janoris Jenkins North Alabama
5.Chase Minnifield Virginia
6.Jayron Hosley Virginia Tech*
7.Johnathan Banks Mississippi St*
8.Stephon Gilmore South Carolina*

S
1.Mark Barron Alabama (SS)
2.T.J. McDonald USC* (FS)
3.Markelle Martin Oklahoma St (SS)
4.Robert Lester Alabama* (can play both)
5.Ray Ray Armstrong Miami* (SS)
6.Winston Guy Kentucky (can play both)

K
1.Randy Bullock Texas A&M
2.Derek Dimke Illinois
3.Danny Hrapmann Southern Miss

P
1.Drew Butler Georgia
2.Bryan Anger California
3.Kyle Martens Rice
Good work! The difficulty of course occurs when you try to spot player in the round. If I got my way the order of my draft would probably be based on filling a position and still have choices later rounds for other players. I want a big Nose T to improve the run defense even more and take some pressure off ILBs. This would allow me to reduce need for ILB. I had mockd Poe in first before, then removed him as I don't think Phillips will draft a Nose in first.

I've been pushing Kendall Wright in second for a while but most think he will be avail at our 3rd. It is more easy to define round player goes in than whether he will be in that round at our spot.

And then the "But ifs" come into play. But if RG3 drops to us? But if Upshaw drops to us? As for me and my house, we will select either of them in first.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #9
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame
 
YoungTexanFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,800
Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: bah007's Top 5(ish) by Position

Floyd is the best NFL WR prospect. But in general, I'm not too impressed with the WR talent. Never been a big Jeffery fan and I think Blackmon has maxed out.

This crop of MLB is incredible. I want one. I think Keuchly, Hightower, and Burfict will be better than Ryans or Cushing. That's scary talent.

The talent of this draft is at LB, OL, and DB.
__________________
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we had when we created them.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #10
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 24,057
Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: bah007's Top 5(ish) by Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Floyd is the best NFL WR prospect. But in general, I'm not too impressed with the WR talent. Never been a big Jeffery fan and I think Blackmon has maxed out.

This crop of MLB is incredible. I want one. I think Keuchly, Hightower, and Burfict will be better than Ryans or Cushing. That's scary talent.

The talent of this draft is at LB, OL, and DB.
Burfict is a penalty flag waiting to happen. If he could correct his attitude, he'd be a great pick for us. I don't think Keuchly at 237 lbs will hold up in a 4-3 and will do slightly better in 3-4.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #11
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame
 
WolverineFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,957
Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: bah007's Top 5(ish) by Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Burfict is a penalty flag waiting to happen. If he could correct his attitude, he'd be a great pick for us. I don't think Keuchly at 237 lbs will hold up in a 4-3 and will do slightly better in 3-4.
You actually want your MLB's in a 3-4 to be bigger than those in a 4-3 because they don't have to run sideline-to-sideline as often and have to deal with interior lineman more often.
__________________
"Those who stay will be champions."

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame
 
steelbtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 52
Posts: 12,554
Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: bah007's Top 5(ish) by Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Floyd is the best NFL WR prospect. But in general, I'm not too impressed with the WR talent. Never been a big Jeffery fan and I think Blackmon has maxed out.

This crop of MLB is incredible. I want one. I think Keuchly, Hightower, and Burfict will be better than Ryans or Cushing. That's scary talent.

The talent of this draft is at LB, OL, and DB.
YTF, Good to see you back.

The MLB's while incredible will have to be multiple time pro bowlers to = Ryans and Cushing.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger