Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-25-2011   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bl 2011 bye week mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I don't have any real complaints about your choices. They are all solid players. I am not sure I would have gone with another TE, but he is still a solid player.

Where I disagree is with the selection of Ryan Tannehill in the second. In my mind a second rounder should be a key backup/available spot starter. Tannelhill is too raw a prospect to go with a 2nd rounder. Yesterday in the UT game he showed why he is so raw: 20 for 49, 224 yards passed, 2 tds, 3 ints, and 1 sack. Decision making was questionable. He threw 3 bad ints...really bad ones.

His stats against tough defenses aren't great:
OSU: 2 tds, 3 ints
Arkansas: 0 tds, 1 int
Oklahoma: 2 tds, 3 ints
Texas: 2 tds, 3 ints.

Against the tougher defenses he has faced he is 6 tds:10 ints. That is not a good stat. Throwing for a lot of yards is great, but turnovers are a killer in the NFL. From what I have seen of Ryan Tannelhill, I do not think he warrants a 2nd round selection.
teams always overdraft the QB position because of its importance.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011   #22
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I'd make a bold move such as the Falcons did last year when they drafted Jones and draft someone like Blackmon.
Blackmon is no where near the complete package, plus a lot of people think he has maxed out his potential & he does not have sub 4.5 speed. Julio blew it up last year @ the combine with a higher ceiling going forward.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-25-2011   #23
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd make a bold move such as the Falcons did last year when they drafted Jones and draft someone like Blackmon.
You would give up a 1st, 2nd, and fourth this year plus a 1st and fourth next year for someone like Blackmon? I wouldn't. He is NOWHERE near the prospect Jones and Green were last year.

That is a ton of picks to give up on a single player. Look at the way the super successful teams in this league operate. Does New England, Pittsburgh, the New York Giants, or the Saints trade numerous picks for a single one? No. New England trades down to acquire extra picks. New York and Pitt tend to stay pat and take the BPA in their spots. The Saints either stand pat or move up or down without surrendering tons of picks.

Atlanta got Julio Jones and gave up Phil Taylor, Greg Little, and Owen Marecic plus a first and fourth next year. Atlanta got 1 starter but Cleveland picked up 3 this year and likely a fourth and possibly a fifth next year. Is Julio Jones worth 3+ starters? In order for Cleveland to break even, they need solid starters. If they get 2 above average starters, they win the deal.

More often than not, surrendering a lot of picks for a draftee tends to fail. Look at the Ricky Williams and Jason Babin as examples of when things go badly.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011   #24
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
teams always overdraft the QB position because of its importance.
I understand, but you think that much of an overdraft is worth it? Remember, the kid is very raw. He has had only a handful of starts at QB, he is a converted WR.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011   #25
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
I understand, but you think that much of an overdraft is worth it? Remember, the kid is very raw. He has had only a handful of starts at QB, he is a converted WR.
I thought the Panthers overdrafted Cam Newton #1 overall because they needed a QB. Cam has proven he was worth it. Locker #8 has proven nothing yet, maybe he will? But Reinfeldt & Munchak felt compelled to make the move while adding insurance back-up/mentor in Matt Haselbeck, smart move.

The Texans already have veteran leadership with Schaub. Leinart we will see how this develops, but I'll say this even though Matt won the Heisman he is no Barkley. Another thing why do all these QB names begin with Matt? Anyway, as we get closer to pecking order we'll know which teams must draft a QB early. My thought as of this moment on subject is this: If we assume the Colts will draft Andrew Luck with the first overall pick, Texans need to match their move (not through suckiness) but with selecting the next best available QB to duel over the coming years. Sorry to the two Matts already in place but we've seen how that plays out already, I for one want no part of it. We need to match up Barkley against Luck, plain & simple.

Sorry Dopplebock I got off track, back to your feelings on Tannehill. Raw, yes he is, project yes again but he possess the type of intagibles a team with a reputed QB guru coach covet. Footwork, quick release, leadership, fearless & athletic. Despite an awful last game, you cannot discredit based off one performance, most except a very few have stinkers now & again. He is already @ the same level, to me, that say a Kellen Clemons displayed @ Oregon with more upside. So a mid to late 2nd is a solid grade both from a position & value standpoint. Texans need to strike now, decent depth @ position with two studs at the top.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-26-2011   #26
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

BTW Im on the Poe Bandwagon

Poe, WR, LB

I love LB's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011   #27
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
You would give up a 1st, 2nd, and fourth this year plus a 1st and fourth next year for someone like Blackmon? I wouldn't. He is NOWHERE near the prospect Jones and Green were last year.

That is a ton of picks to give up on a single player. Look at the way the super successful teams in this league operate. Does New England, Pittsburgh, the New York Giants, or the Saints trade numerous picks for a single one? No. New England trades down to acquire extra picks. New York and Pitt tend to stay pat and take the BPA in their spots. The Saints either stand pat or move up or down without surrendering tons of picks.

Atlanta got Julio Jones and gave up Phil Taylor, Greg Little, and Owen Marecic plus a first and fourth next year. Atlanta got 1 starter but Cleveland picked up 3 this year and likely a fourth and possibly a fifth next year. Is Julio Jones worth 3+ starters? In order for Cleveland to break even, they need solid starters. If they get 2 above average starters, they win the deal.

More often than not, surrendering a lot of picks for a draftee tends to fail. Look at the Ricky Williams and Jason Babin as examples of when things go badly.
Atlanta was aggressive and I like that. The thing is if they draft well this year and next then they should still come out just fine. You don't have to make a massive trade up like that every year but once every X amount of years such a move should not hinder your team all that much if you already have a deep and talented roster then you go for that once in a blue moon big time splash. I don't think the Texans would be hurt too much if they made a huge trade up if not for Justin then definitely for another top notch receiver and bring in a play maker opposite Johnson which would stretch the field even further for Schaub whenever he returns. Or if not an outstanding receiver an NT who would eventually replace Cody as the starter or a cover corner opposite Joseph. Typically I am pro staying put and drafting BPA or trading down for more picks but if you think you might see the next Reggie White or Bruce Smith or a franchise QB like Brady or Manning type of player then you should go for it. That shows you want to be a winner and willing to take some chances to do so as well as that you are also concerned about the future of the team and plotting for that as well.

Last edited by gary; 11-26-2011 at 05:47 PM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-26-2011   #28
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

For Barkley or RG3 I would make that trade.

Then I would trade MW and use that $$$$ on a WR (Meachen) and NT (Soliai) You could do this with MW's 15/18 mil cap savings. Then hopefully in the MW trade you could recoup the 2012 1st that you traded for Barkley/RG3 and take BPA.

I know that's out there, but it takes outside the box risk taking to be a SB winner. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011   #29
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Atlanta was aggressive and I like that. The thing is if they draft well this year and next then they should still come out just fine. You don't have to make a massive trade up like that every year but once every X amount of years such a move should not hinder your team all that much if you already have a deep and talented roster then you go for that once in a blue moon big time splash. I don't think the Texans would be hurt to much if they made a huge trade up if not for Justin then definitely then for another top notch receiver and bring in a play maker opposite Johnson which would stretch the field even further for Schaub whenever he returns. Or if not an outstanding receiver an NT who would eventually replace Cody or a cover corner opposite Joseph. Typically I am pro staying put and drafting BPA or trading down for more picks but if you think you might see the next Reggie White or Bruce Smith or a franchise QB like Brady or Manning type then you should go for it. That shows you want to be a winner and willing to take some chances to do so as well as that you are also concerned about the future of the team and plotting for that as well.
Agreed

Taking calculated risks should be part of a GM's job. If the opportunity to get a franchise QB presents itself you have to take it and let him learn under Schaub (if Schaub makes it back) for a couple of yrs.
Old 11-26-2011   #30
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

It does not have to be just for Blackmon but I would like to see a bold move made. Although I don't see why Meachem would not stay put unless the Saints are just strapped for cash.
Old 11-26-2011   #31
beerlover
Site Contributor

Since I posted this mock I've seen two sets of College games in consecutive weekends/days. Now if I could I would trade them all for rights to Matt Barkley. Texans are playing with fire, the hand dealt is a blow from the devil himself. While I think Leinart can hold down the fort, any expectations in playoffs are severely tempered. If Colts get Luck then Texans need to counter with Barkley.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-26-2011   #32
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It does not have to be just for Blackmon but I would like to see a bold move made. Although I don't see why Meachem would not stay put unless the Saints are just strapped for cash.
They have many FA's including Meachem and Colston.

There probably wont be enough FA $$$ to re-sign them both. Which is why I targeted Meachem, who's very underated and would be a perfect WR2 opposite AJ.
Old 11-26-2011   #33
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Since I posted this mock I've seen two sets of College games in consecutive weekends/days. Now if I could I would trade them all for rights to Matt Barkley. Texans are playing with fire, the hand dealt is a blow from the devil himself. While I think Leinart can hold down the fort, any expectations in playoffs are severely tempered. If Colts get Luck then Texans need to counter with Barkley.
I'm on board with this.
Old 11-26-2011   #34
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

There probably wont be enough FA $$$ to re-sign them both. Which is why I targeted Meachem, who's very underated and would be a perfect WR2 opposite AJ.
One of them will move on. AJ, Meachem/Colston and Jones moves to three. Wow. Sounds good to me.
Old 11-26-2011   #35
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166327 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

While I wouldn't mind having him at a reasonable price, I wonder that if Meachem cannot succeed in a pass-happy offense like N.O. has, why would he do better here?
In his best year, Meachem only had 45 catches. Walter has topped 50 every year since 07 (except last year when he got hurt and we were more run-oriented).

Plus I don't know if he can block. We know K.W. can block and even J.J. has learned to be a pretty decent downfield blocker in this offense. If a WR doesn't block well downfield, Kubiak won't play him. And given the success of our running game, I don't blame him.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #36
beerlover
Site Contributor

After holding off Oregon last week USC blasted UCLA 50-0. Barkley was 35-42 422 yards 6 TD's & no picks in what may be his last game as a Trojan.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-27-2011   #37
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
While I wouldn't mind having him at a reasonable price, I wonder that if Meachem cannot succeed in a pass-happy offense like N.O. has, why would he do better here?
In his best year, Meachem only had 45 catches. Walter has topped 50 every year since 07 (except last year when he got hurt and we were more run-oriented).

Plus I don't know if he can block. We know K.W. can block and even J.J. has learned to be a pretty decent downfield blocker in this offense. If a WR doesn't block well downfield, Kubiak won't play him. And given the success of our running game, I don't blame him.
The Saints have Colston, Moore, Henderson, and Graham taking touches away from Meachem and all of them are better than JJ or Walter down the field and that is not a knock on JJ or Walter.
Old 11-27-2011   #38
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Whatcha gonna do?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-28-2011   #39
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
After holding off Oregon last week USC blasted UCLA 50-0. Barkley was 35-42 422 yards 6 TD's & no picks in what may be his last game as a Trojan.
Robert Woods is a real stud. He won't be eligible until next year but I'm already salivating. I've got him graded out between A.J. Green and Julio Jones.

Barkley is no slouch, but Woods is the best player on that team.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #40
beerlover
Site Contributor

Barkley is no.1 because of position & Matt Kalil is the best OT even though he is just a junior, then you gotta consider freshman WR Marqise Lee who is even more dynamic than Woods. If USC were bowl eligible we could be talking about a USC LSU BCS game?

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read