Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-18-2011   #141
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just my evaluation of Matt Leinart

Look how poorly Garrard's fake was. He was about 2-2/2 yards away from MJD when he did a poor imititation of a faked hand-off.
Only our 2 interior linemen were busy with the flow not to notice it soon enough.
The rest of them saw it right away, including WDE Mario and SDE Bulman, and all 3 LBs.

The outside receiver ran a deep route (can't tell exactly the route).
The FB released when he didn't encounter any block on the LOS.
Diles picked him up and kept his discipline, not buyind the run fake.
The inside receiver crashed our SDE Bulman.
Bulman was very disciplined.
He stayed home to guard agaisnt a possible cut back run and also to play the bootleg.

The second screen shot showed that MLB Demeco already recognized the fake.
The third screen shot showed that the WILL Cushing also saw it and came to a screeching halt.

The last screen shot above showed that Garrard already pulled the ball back when MJD was still a yard away.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #142
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bulman kept his discipline and held onto to the receiver long enough to allow Demeco and Cushing the time to get back.
He then chased after Garrard and forced him to throw the ball away.
Diles had coverage on the FB all the way.

Old 11-19-2011   #143
76Texan
Hall of Fame

As Bulman got to Garrard, you can see that Diles was right on top of the FB, giving the QB no option to throw the ball.

By this time, the inside receiver was open (Bulman had left him).
Garrard had no time to turn back to the inside to attempt a pass to this receiver.

In the meantime, Demeco ran back deep to stay between the FB and the deep receiver.
Old 11-19-2011   #144
76Texan
Hall of Fame

You can see that Demeco had plenty of time to get back to play underneath the deeper route.
Garrard had no shot!
Old 11-19-2011   #145
76Texan
Hall of Fame

When you go back and look at the earlier shots, you can see that the LB can retreat before the RB clear the QB because the ball fake was so poorly executed!

The play action pass from Schaub to JJ in the Bucs game, on the other had, was executed very well; shall I say "to perfection"?

I will have a link to the screenshots of that play after a little break.
Old 11-19-2011   #146
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Here's the whole sequence of our PA pass Schaub to JJ.

You can see that Schaub's ball fake was superb such that it fools the LCB Alib and both safeties (and the entire Bucs defense).

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...ZBS%20stretch/

We sent Walter in to crash their SDE.

Instead of the FB, we had OD in the bunch formation with Walter and JJ.
We were in single back, with TE Dreessen on the left.

The formations are slightly different, but the play was designed very similarly.

We had both JJ and OD open while the Jags got zil.

The ZBS stretch didn't sell these two PA passes as much as the QB/RB fake.
Old 11-19-2011   #147
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

I sure hope Kubiak doesn't think ML can just hand off the ball to Foster or Tate and expect it to be effective like when Shaub was QB.

Leinart will have to prove his passing accuracy/timing early on in order for our running game to succeed like it has been.
No passing threat, no running game... at least not at the same level we've grown accustomed to recently.
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-19-2011   #148
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 225723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

You can see that Schaub's ball fake was superb such that it fools the LCB Alib and both safeties (and the entire Bucs defense).

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...ZBS%20stretch/

We sent Walter in to crash their SDE.

Instead of the FB, we had OD in the bunch formation with Walter and JJ.
We were in single back, with TE Dreessen on the left.

The formations are slightly different, but the play was designed very similarly.

We had both JJ and OD open while the Jags got zil.

Another thing that makes our play action so successful is that everyone in the league knows that no matter the formation we show (well, except for empty backfield), we can - and have - executed runs or passes out of it. That flexibility from almost any formation plus the facts (a) Schaub's good at the fake, (b) the O-line makes both run and pass plays look identical at the outset, and (c) the RB also completely sells that he's got the ball make our P/A the best in the league.

I also hope Matt-2 has his acting skills at a high level. All the other "actors" in our play-action movie know their roles. Time for the understudy to show if he's been nailing his lines or screwing around all this time.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011   #149
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BCF View Post
I sure hope Kubiak doesn't think ML can just hand off the ball to Foster or Tate and expect it to be effective like when Shaub was QB.

Leinart will have to prove his passing accuracy/timing early on in order for our running game to succeed like it has been.
No passing threat, no running game... at least not at the same level we've grown accustomed to recently.
Amen! This is what I've been preaching since the beginning!
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=84
Old 11-19-2011   #150
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881 View Post
Amen! This is what I've been preaching since the beginning!
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=84
I know it's cute to assume we know better than the guy who has worked with Leinart & Schaub on a daily basis for the last 11 weeks.... & the entire 2010 season. We assume we are better equipped to assess the abilities and short-comings of our players than the coaches (Dennison & Knapp are included in this group), then finally we'll be able to design a better game plan for the situation we currently find ourselves in.

I'm not ready to nominate Kubiak for coach of the year or anything like that. But we are 7-3 right now & Matt hasn't had to do anything special.

I'm sure Kubiak knows what Leinart can & can't do, and I'm confident he won't unnecessarily put Matt, or the team in a precarious position.
Old 11-19-2011   #151
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's straight out of the playbook (Falcons 2003).

In different fronts the defenders could have different keys.
Against different offensive formations, the defenders could also have different keys.

Manusky was LB coach when Wade was with the Chargers; he should be familiar with the system.

For all we know, they might change their teaching a little here and there over the years.
Yeah, we're both aware that Manusky coached at San Diego under Wade which is why I asked him. He broke down some scenarios in which coming where you're right, but he went through so many different scenarios that I started to zone out honestly. But he did say in Wade's base defense, every LB is getting his initial Run/Pass read either from an OL or TE/H-back on the edge. Hell, personally I don't care as long as we continue to run our play action well.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011   #152
bo orlando
Veteran

Rep Power: 1426 bo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I completely disagree with this last statement. From watching those stills, it's remarkable how well the offensive line sells the fake. They unanimously, harmoniously blow the Bucs line off the ball at the snap and Walter even executes a vicious cut block on the DE. If you're a defender and you think this is a pass then you either heard the playcall or get ready for your position coach to chew you out on the sideline for playing passive and allowing Foster to pick up an easy 15 yard run. Schaub/Foster can certainly ruin all that good work with a Garrard/MJD-like tell, but the primary onus for the fake is not on them.
bo orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011   #153
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BCF View Post

I won't be surprised if our first 5-10 plays against the Jags are passes. Kubes will probably do everything in his power to get Leinart a 300 yard day.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011   #154
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

1st play, we going long man -Anderson
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #155
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo orlando View Post
I completely disagree with this last statement. From watching those stills, it's remarkable how well the offensive line sells the fake. They unanimously, harmoniously blow the Bucs line off the ball at the snap and Walter even executes a vicious cut block on the DE. If you're a defender and you think this is a pass then you either heard the playcall or get ready for your position coach to chew you out on the sideline for playing passive and allowing Foster to pick up an easy 15 yard run. Schaub/Foster can certainly ruin all that good work with a Garrard/MJD-like tell, but the primary onus for the fake is not on them.
Look at the Jags; their O-line did a good acting job, too!
They even pulled the LT to the outside of the TE.
Any defender(s) that key(s) on the LT would have read run first.

Like Obsi and some others said, the O-line obviously needs to their part of selling, but the rest of the team, especially the QB & RB, has a lot to do with selling the play fake as well.
Old 11-22-2011   #156
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Look at the Jags; their O-line did a good acting job, too!
They even pulled the LT to the outside of the TE.
Any defender(s) that key(s) on the LT would have read run first.

Like Obsi and some others said, the O-line obviously needs to their part of selling, but the rest of the team, especially the QB & RB, has a lot to do with selling the play fake as well.
It starts with the O-line. The QB selling the fake is secondary. All parts are important, but the O-line and threat of the running game is the most important component to selling and executing a good play action pass.

The QB executing his part and doing a great job holds the defense for a bit longer than a half hearted poor effort would.

Starts with the O-line...The QB needs to do his part to make the play even better.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #157
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Yeah, we're both aware that Manusky coached at San Diego under Wade which is why I asked him. He broke down some scenarios in which coming where you're right, but he went through so many different scenarios that I started to zone out honestly. But he did say in Wade's base defense, every LB is getting his initial Run/Pass read either from an OL or TE/H-back on the edge. Hell, personally I don't care as long as we continue to run our play action well.
If you watch closely, there are times when our OLBs (SAM and/or WILL) simply jump into the backfield after their get-off.

They pay no attention to any lineman or TE on the LOS.
Old 11-22-2011   #158
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
It starts with the O-line. The QB selling the fake is secondary. All parts are important, but the O-line and threat of the running game is the most important component to selling and executing a good play action pass.

The QB executing his part and doing a great job holds the defense for a bit longer than a half hearted poor effort would.

Starts with the O-line...The QB needs to do his part to make the play even better.
Of course, everything starts with the O-line.

You think the Jags O-line in 09 was crap?
How about MJD? We didn't respect their run game in 09?

Besides the O-line, the QB fake is what set apart the teams that are good in play-action pass.
Old 11-22-2011   #159
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Of course, everything starts with the O-line.

You think the Jags O-line in 09 was crap?
How about MJD? We didn't respect their run game in 09?

Besides the O-line, the QB fake is what set apart the teams that are good in play-action pass.
I disagree with your breakdown of the Jags stuff above...

Well I don't disagree, I just believe you are making your own narrative again...

First off, MJD is the one who looks to have done a poor job selling the fake...He doesn't get close enough to the QB and he never looks like he's taking the hand-off. Secondly...Just because a player (Diles in this case) did what he was supposed to doesn't mean it wasn't a good fake. You're saying that he recognized the poor job by the QB and I call BS. He's on the complete opposite side of the PA. He cannot man up on the FB and see the QB doing a poor job through the O-line on the opposote side of the formation.

Texans defense should be one of the better defenses against PA since our offense uses it so much.I would imagine we tend to be more disciplined in not biting too hard on the run.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #160
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I disagree with your breakdown of the Jags stuff above...

Well I don't disagree, I just believe you are making your own narrative again...

First off, MJD is the one who looks to have done a poor job selling the fake...He doesn't get close enough to the QB and he never looks like he's taking the hand-off. Secondly...Just because a player (Diles in this case) did what he was supposed to doesn't mean it wasn't a good fake. You're saying that he recognized the poor job by the QB and I call BS. He's on the complete opposite side of the PA. He cannot man up on the FB and see the QB doing a poor job through the O-line on the opposote side of the formation.

Texans defense should be one of the better defenses against PA since our offense uses it so much.I would imagine we tend to be more disciplined in not biting too hard on the run.
I don't think the still shots do a good job of showing the play fake (even though it does for me.)
Garrard never extended his arm the way Schaub did.
He half-cocked the ball and pulled it back.

In slow motion, you can see that Diles, as the WILL, was looking into the backfield (at the QB/RB) all the way.

We know that the Texans were in zone the way Dunta lined up and how the defense never reacted to the motion of the receiver.
Diles wasn't manning up on anybody.

Due to the flow of the O-line, Diles had a clear view of the backfield.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read