Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-17-2011   #61
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just my evaluation of Matt Leinart

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteANDblue View Post
The deep crosser running right to left (15 Maehl) drew the double team.
The hot route (RB swinging out to the flat) was jumped by the LB (51?)
His next read (best option) is the shallow cross left to right (another form of the slant).
This type of throw needs to be quick (on time) before the CB can react and help can arrive.
Again, this is the type of throw that I see as money in the bank for Leinart.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011   #62
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't get how anybody could come to any sort of conclusion about how much more talented Matt Leinart is than Sage Rosenfels or whomever. I hate to be "that guy" but Marty Ice wasn't exactly blowing me away this preseason. The passes looked short and inaccurate and there was really no sizzle to his game at all. I know it's great fun to talk about how crappy Schaub is, I think the reality is that if Leinart can even play close to what Schaub gave us we will be extremely fortunate.
Old 11-17-2011   #63
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I don't get how anybody could come to any sort of conclusion about how much more talented Matt Leinart is than Sage Rosenfels or whomever. I hate to be "that guy" but Marty Ice wasn't exactly blowing me away this preseason. The passes looked short and inaccurate and there was really no sizzle to his game at all. I know it's great fun to talk about how crappy Schaub is, I think the reality is that if Leinart can even play close to what Schaub gave us we will be extremely fortunate.

True, but you also have to look at who he was throwing the ball to. With Andre coming back then the only guys who were in the game while Leinart was were Jacoby, and I think Casey may have been in for some plays with him but that was it. It'll be a much different cast for him to work with on the field now. We're all just kind of estimating what we "think" we'll see based on his skill set. It's one reason have haven't even commented on his pre-season. He had to play in a dumbed down offense with a lot of young guys with only a few weeks of experience in this system, and banged up 2nd team offensive line.

Last edited by Texn4life; 11-17-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011   #64
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You should have plenty of examples, can you show me a few?

Or you can go to the gamebook and point to a play, and I can take screen shots of that play to see if your statement is true.
Old 11-17-2011   #65
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Schaub sucks!

Start Leinart!

In Leinart, we must.

Too much Corona!

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011   #66
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Ball handling and play-action fake, as asked by at least one poster that I can remember.

In starked contrast to Gabbert who is simply terrible at it, Leinart performed theses tasks well enough that it fooled me on quite a few occasions.

If he can fool a TV viewer, the chance is good that he can fool a few players on the field that has to sort through the mass of humanity on the line.
This is one of my big concerns as so much of the passing offense is thru PA.

I didnt think he (Leinart) was very good at concealing the ball ..... Then again , Schaub isnt great at it either. I think they are both about average there.

I almost hate to say it , but Ive never seen a QB with better PA fakes than .... Peyton Manning. I hate that guy ..... only cause he dont play for my team.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011   #67
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
3 plays in one vid here.

1. Another money-in-the-bank slant.
Leinart knew that the single deep safety Nolan would be occupied by the post route from the left.
One of the LBs followed the shallow slant/crossing route from right to left.
There was nobody left to help on 22 McMannis on the slant (also from right to left.)
This is reading the defense; it's not simply the case of a QB looking for an open receiver.

2. The corner route to Maehl.
Leinart saw the blitz coming; it means the nickle back McMannis has a lot of space to cover one on one against the slot receiver, not an easy task.

3. Again, Leinart saw the LB blitz coming.
With the RB picking up the blitz, his hot route was the TE Daniel, whom he went to immediately.
I'm pretty sure this one is Schaub.
Old 11-17-2011   #68
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I remember that game, and the biggest thing I remember is the Bears were undefeated going in. Leinart was actually shredding the Bears to start off with, and the announcers started proclaiming him one of the best rookie QB's they had ever seen. Then........ the bottom fell out with a couple of turnovers and the rest is history.
That was 10/16/2006; Monday Night Football. Leinhart went for 24 of 42 for 232 yds, 2 TDs - one to Boldin the other to B.Johnson (yep, the same B. Johnson we picked up at the end of camp this year), and no picks. He had the Cards up 20-0 on the Bears at one point and 20-3 at halftime. Eggerin James could only muster 56 yds on 26 carries so Leinhart and the passing game was the only thing that was working against the then-undefeated Bears.

Two fumbles and two returns for TDs cost the Cards that game and led to the infamous "The Bears are who we thought they were" tirade by Denny Green (classic ).

Game summary

Play-by-play

Scouts, Inc take:
Quote:
Arizona, again, found a way to lose. Leinart was outstanding and in total control, and the Cardinals' defense totally dominated the Bears. After the amazing Chicago comeback, Leinart showed excellent leadership, leading the Cardinals down the field to set up the potential winning field goal that Neil Rackers missed for the second consecutive week.
I think Leinhart lost his job in AZ when Denny Green was fired. Leinhart was Green's pick, not Whisenhut's. Whisenhut is way to much of a Pittsburgh type to click with a Cali boy like Leinhart. Leinhart would have had to play lights out to be retained by Whisenhut. This is just my opinion, but I'm sure we've all seen personality clashes result in some strange decisions before.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011   #69
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Where the hell do you get or keep all this video on games from 2006?

2. Will you burn me a copy of Texans games this year? I'll pay you!!!

3. What's funny to me about Leinart is this: Schaub lacks in arm strength, in foot speed, is not always the most accurate and what is he? A top 10 Qb. It's because he's smart, makes correct reads and doesn't hesitate on decisions. What are people saying about Leinart? Better arm strength, better mobility.....what we're going to find out is whether or not he can MENTALLY play the position. Because, after all, that's what matters. Schaub is proof.

4. I believe that as long as the offense doesn't crumble around him, Leinart can do what is necessary to win. 15-20 throws, 60% completions and no turnovers. The rest of the team will pick up whatever slack Schaub left behind.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011   #70
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 54152 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We need to advise the NFL to retain all those cheerleaders shots in their game tapes, LOL!
Or just make a separate cheerleader game film so we don't have to fast forward through the football plays.

Quote:
PS - Man, you got great quality videos there!
Those are great, do you think redwhiteANDblue can film the home games next preseason? Ch 13 coverage sucks!

Quote:
...But I don't see anything wrong with the QB's play, JMO.
I don't either. It was TC but, this is against the players that are now the #1 ranked defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Dex.. you are a model of optimism.
I with Dex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
Yes, but can he 'copter?
Considering his time the hot tub, I think he does a flying horizontal one-and-a-half somersaults, pike with a twist to land on his feet.

Quote:
...I hate to be "that guy" but Marty Ice wasn't exactly blowing me away this preseason. The passes looked short and inaccurate and there was really no sizzle to his game at all...
Wait, which Matt are you talking about here?

Leinart or Lionheart as some callers on the radio show are calling him, should be fine. How are defenses going the stack the box and double 'Dre?

If they do someone is wide open, like they have been in several situations this year without "the best player to put on a helmet in the world"* on the field?

*Arian Foster quote.
Old 11-17-2011   #71
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
Leinart or Lionheart as some callers on the radio show are calling him, should be fine.
Same folks that used to call Gerry Hunsicker - "Jerry Hunsinger"

Brakos!
Old 11-17-2011   #72
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I agree. The chances of Lienart lighting it up & taking us to the promised land is slim to none.

Still, fun to speculate.

The truth is we know Lienart doesn't need to be an All-Pro to get us to the play-offs. Then, anything can happen.
Old 11-17-2011   #73
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
I do know that Schaub has never executed a back shoulder fade to Dre in the endzone.
Leinart is far more talented than Rosenfels, slightly more talented than Schaub, yet
you guys are biting fingernails and sweating bullets. Dude takes over a team that
is stacked.all over the offensive side, and has one of the best defenses in the
league.

As long as he plays EXACTLY LIKE SAGE, this team won't miss a beat. He's GUARANTEED
to be better than Sage, and may even give Schaub a run for his money.

Peace.
Old 11-17-2011   #74
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
This is one of my big concerns as so much of the passing offense is thru PA.

I didnt think he (Leinart) was very good at concealing the ball ..... Then again , Schaub isnt great at it either. I think they are both about average there.

I almost hate to say it , but Ive never seen a QB with better PA fakes than .... Peyton Manning. I hate that guy ..... only cause he dont play for my team.
Why I said "well ENOUGH", not great!
But our PA has the advantage of the FB as the "lead blocker" helping to sell the fake.
Also, I think Leinart's footwork/overall movement after the hand-off (or faked hand-off) is pretty good.
That part is also important.
Old 11-17-2011   #75
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
I'm pretty sure this one is Schaub.
LOL, when did Schauby sneak in there!
Good catch, man!
Old 11-17-2011   #76
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Is this everyone's way of dealing with Schaub's loss? Is pretending that Leinart will be as good or better than him? Wow you guys are in denial. Leinart may be able to manage the game. He will NOT be better than Schaub. There will not be a QB controversy. Schaub was only the fourth QB in history to throw for 9,000 yards over 2 years. He has thrown 2.5 TDs to 1 INT this year. Expecting this kind of production from Leinart is ridiculous. To think there will be no drop off is ridiculous. It's like when we expect undrafted players to make an impact on our team their rookie season. We are putting ridiculous expectations on this guy. Lets be happy if we go 3-3. Stop setting up for disappointment. Nobody seems to realize we went 7-3 with a passing game. Expecting to go 4-2 without one to finish the season is a very high expectation. I appreciate the insight on his play and the evaluation. But we are being huge homers here. Lets be realistic please.
Old 11-17-2011   #77
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
1. Where the hell do you get or keep all this video on games from 2006?

2. Will you burn me a copy of Texans games this year? I'll pay you!!!

3. What's funny to me about Leinart is this: Schaub lacks in arm strength, in foot speed, is not always the most accurate and what is he? A top 10 Qb. It's because he's smart, makes correct reads and doesn't hesitate on decisions. What are people saying about Leinart? Better arm strength, better mobility.....what we're going to find out is whether or not he can MENTALLY play the position. Because, after all, that's what matters. Schaub is proof.

4. I believe that as long as the offense doesn't crumble around him, Leinart can do what is necessary to win. 15-20 throws, 60% completions and no turnovers. The rest of the team will pick up whatever slack Schaub left behind.
I got the games from various sources over the years, but mostly tenyard.
I capture the Texans game with a tuner card (connected to the PC).
You can buy it at most electronics store like Fry's.
It comes with a software that also allows you to record TV programs.
(I'll PM you later!)

Yeah, most of us think that Leinart just needs to play within himself, and that will be good enough as the rest of the team can take care of business.

Side note - In another thread I had mentioned Schaub throwing some 47 yards from the LOS (an improvement of 3-4 yards from years past due to improvement in his throwing mechanics and footwork.)
I haven't seen Leinart throw any pass deeper than that.

Last edited by 76Texan; 11-17-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-17-2011   #78
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881 View Post
Is this everyone's way of dealing with Schaub's loss? Is pretending that Leinart will be as good or better than him? Wow you guys are in denial. Leinart may be able to manage the game. He will NOT be better than Schaub. There will not be a QB controversy. Schaub was only the fourth QB in history to throw for 9,000 yards over 2 years. He has thrown 2.5 TDs to 1 INT this year. Expecting this kind of production from Leinart is ridiculous. To think there will be no drop off is ridiculous. It's like when we expect undrafted players to make an impact on our team their rookie season. We are putting ridiculous expectations on this guy. Lets be happy if we go 3-3. Stop setting up for disappointment. Nobody seems to realize we went 7-3 with a passing game. Expecting to go 4-2 without one to finish the season is a very high expectation. I appreciate the insight on his play and the evaluation. But we are being huge homers here. Lets be realistic please.
LOL, the controversy thread is down the hall, to your left. j/k

The only thing I concluded is that Leinart looks to be at least a game manager.
Whether he can put it together (to be good-very good) when the games count is still up in the air (IMO).
I don't set up any expectation for myself.
I'm prepared for us to get into the play-offs with a non-stellar record.
That's all I want for now until we can see more in the next few games.

I can't help if others are homies!

But honestly, I think Leinart can put up good productions because we haven't had Schaub throwing as much as last year, and AJ will be coming back.

Last edited by 76Texan; 11-17-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-17-2011   #79
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
Or just make a separate cheerleader game film so we don't have to fast forward through the football plays.

Those are great, do you think redwhiteANDblue can film the home games next preseason? Ch 13 coverage sucks!

I don't either. It was TC but, this is against the players that are now the #1 ranked defense.

Leinart or Lionheart as some callers on the radio show are calling him, should be fine. How are defenses going the stack the box and double 'Dre?

If they do someone is wide open, like they have been in several situations this year without "the best player to put on a helmet in the world"* on the field?

*Arian Foster quote.
We can get RWnB to just film the cheerleaders all day long!

But seriously, those vids are great.
They show us a little about what the team were working on at TC.

Maybe next year RWnB can do it from up in the stand for a better overall view.
Old 11-17-2011   #80
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why I said "well ENOUGH", not great!
But our PA has the advantage of the FB as the "lead blocker" helping to sell the fake.
Also, I think Leinart's footwork/overall movement after the hand-off (or faked hand-off) is pretty good.
That part is also important.
The play fake is in the design of the plays and the O-line and doesn't really depend on a great sell by the QB.

Oline has to seel the play as if it's a run and the play design is set up so that the pass and run plays look the same from the WR'S and TE's, to the RB's and O-line...

The first couple seconds of the play should feel the same.

That's why guys are constantly coming wide the hell open...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read