Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-16-2011   #41
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just my evaluation of Matt Leinart

Wasn't Leinart the Cards QB vs the Bears when HC Denny Green had his infamous post game rant about the Bears being "who we thought they were" ?
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #42
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Wasn't Leinart the Cards QB vs the Bears when HC Denny Green had his infamous post game rant about the Bears being "who we thought they were" ?
can't get anything past you....
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #43
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Kinda like TB!
Who's TB? Texan Bill has never watched NFL film. I can't think of an NFL acronym that has titties or a pole in it.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #44
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Who's TB? Texan Bill has never watched NFL film. I can't think of an NFL acronym that has titties or a pole in it.
We need to advise the NFL to retain all those cheerleaders shots in their game tapes, LOL!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #45
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I remember that game, and the biggest thing I remember is the Bears were undefeated going in. Leinart was actually shredding the Bears to start off with, and the announcers started proclaiming him one of the best rookie QB's they had ever seen. Then........ the bottom fell out with a couple of turnovers and the rest is history.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #46
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I remember that game, and the biggest thing I remember is the Bears were undefeated going in. Leinart was actually shredding the Bears to start off with, and the announcers started proclaiming him one of the best rookie QB's they had ever seen. Then........ the bottom fell out with a couple of turnovers and the rest is history.
Full Story
Bears stage unlikely comeback win

GLENDALE, Ariz. (Oct. 16, 2006) -- Six turnovers, 3 points on offense, and somehow the Chicago Bears are still unbeaten.

Somehow, some way, the Bears rallied from 20 points down at halftime and escaped with a 24-23 victory in Arizona, leaving the shellshocked Cardinals to ponder yet another excruciating late-game collapse.

"Sometimes, when you're a team of destiny, things like that happen," Chicago coach Lovie Smith said.

The Bears are off to their best start in 20 years at 6-0. For that, they can thank their defense, punt returner Devin Hester and Arizona kicker Neil Rackers.

Rex Grossman gets no credit for this one.

"I've never played so bad and won a game like that," said the Bears quarterback, who threw four interceptions and lost two fumbles. "It was unbelievable."

Down 20-0 at halftime, Chicago returned two fumbles for touchdowns in the second half. Then Hester returned a punt 83 yards for a score with 2:58 remaining to take the lead.

Matt Leinart, who threw two first-quarter touchdowns and finished 24 for 42 for 232 yards, coolly directed Arizona downfield at the finish for a chance to claim a victory that appeared to be the Cardinals' all night.

But Rackers, a Pro Bowl kicker last season who connected from 41, 28 and 29 yards earlier in the evening, missed a 41-yarder to the left with 53 seconds left for what would have been the game winner for Arizona (1-5).

"I was ready to hit it," he said. "Unfortunately I hit the ground first, then I felt extremely sick to my stomach for my teammates and coaches and everybody else who deserved to win this game."

Just last week, he missed a 51-yard attempt at the finish that would have sent the game against Kansas City into overtime.
Old 11-16-2011   #47
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20085 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVIpHUyiuhE
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2011   #48
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Full Story
Bears stage unlikely comeback win

GLENDALE, Ariz. (Oct. 16, 2006) -- Six turnovers, 3 points on offense, and somehow the Chicago Bears are still unbeaten.

Somehow, some way, the Bears rallied from 20 points down at halftime and escaped with a 24-23 victory in Arizona, leaving the shellshocked Cardinals to ponder yet another excruciating late-game collapse.

"Sometimes, when you're a team of destiny, things like that happen," Chicago coach Lovie Smith said.

The Bears are off to their best start in 20 years at 6-0. For that, they can thank their defense, punt returner Devin Hester and Arizona kicker Neil Rackers.

Rex Grossman gets no credit for this one.

"I've never played so bad and won a game like that," said the Bears quarterback, who threw four interceptions and lost two fumbles. "It was unbelievable."

Down 20-0 at halftime, Chicago returned two fumbles for touchdowns in the second half. Then Hester returned a punt 83 yards for a score with 2:58 remaining to take the lead.

Matt Leinart, who threw two first-quarter touchdowns and finished 24 for 42 for 232 yards, coolly directed Arizona downfield at the finish for a chance to claim a victory that appeared to be the Cardinals' all night.

But Rackers, a Pro Bowl kicker last season who connected from 41, 28 and 29 yards earlier in the evening, missed a 41-yarder to the left with 53 seconds left for what would have been the game winner for Arizona (1-5).

"I was ready to hit it," he said. "Unfortunately I hit the ground first, then I felt extremely sick to my stomach for my teammates and coaches and everybody else who deserved to win this game."

Just last week, he missed a 51-yard attempt at the finish that would have sent the game against Kansas City into overtime.
That's about how I remember it........ The thing is that Bears defense was being talked about being one of the best in the history of the NFL, and Leinart handled himself extremely well in that game. This is all going to be a confidence issue with him. If he plays poorly against the Jags then we're in trouble I think.

I hate to say it, but we'll almost have to handle him like a rookie making his first career start. Not because he's not capable of playing better than most rookies, but just because I don't think you want a QB with a fractured ego heading into the final 5 games. Foster, Tate, and Ward better start stretching right now for Jax.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #49
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteANDblue View Post
Here's some clips of Lienart that I took back in training camp. He's probably a lot better now but thought I'd post it here since its an evaluation thread so here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RWDtexans#p/u/2/jdOvEGKxXQQ

Can't find anyone open so he runs with it

http://www.youtube.com/user/RWDtexans#p/u/3/YvQW54S6clY

Misses Dorin Dickerson by a couple inches

http://www.youtube.com/user/RWDtexan...12/mHxPlH4Zz4k

Can't tell if he's phased by the pressure here but throws it away quickly

1. Notice how he kept his eyes downfield while scrambling toward the side line.

2. Looks like Brooks Reed was coming, forcing Leinart to throw it a little sooner than he wanted to.

3. There was a LB blitz. Looks like 51 Sharpton was on Leinart as he got rid of the ball.

PS - Man, you got great quality videos there!
Old 11-16-2011   #50
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

I do know that Schaub has never executed a back shoulder fade to Dre in the endzone.
Leinart is far more talented than Rosenfels, slightly more talented than Schaub, yet
you guys are biting fingernails and sweating bullets. Dude takes over a team that
is stacked.all over the offensive side, and has one of the best defenses in the
league.

As long as he plays EXACTLY LIKE SAGE, this team won't miss a beat. He's GUARANTEED
to be better than Sage, and may even give Schaub a run for his money.

Peace.
Old 11-16-2011   #51
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
I do know that Schaub has never executed a back shoulder fade to Dre in the endzone.
Leinart is far more talented than Rosenfels, slightly more talented than Schaub, yet
you guys are biting fingernails and sweating bullets. Dude takes over a team that
league.

As long as he plays EXACTLY LIKE SAGE, this team won't miss a beat. He's GUARANTEED

Peace.
What he said..
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #52
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Looks like good coverage by RCB Allen and nickle back Harris.
His intended target seems to be 18, but Nolan was right with him.
Leinart looked there first and saw all three on his left well covered.
He looked for the slant route, but it probably wasn't there either.

At this point, I think we simulate the situation where the QB has to leave the pocket to buy some more time.

The most outside receiver was 20 Slaton who was well covered by Allen;
the second one was 15 Maehl, who slipped, and Harris was in step with him all the way.

As he scrambled to his left, Leinart tried to put the ball outside where it's most difficult for Nolan to reach.

Nolan was still able to deflect that pass, however.
Good job by Nolan.

But I don't see anything wrong with the QB's play, JMO.
Old 11-16-2011   #53
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
league.

Peace.
Dex.. you are a model of optimism.
Old 11-16-2011   #54
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
A timing route to 82 Tolliver (?)
Good coverage by Allen.

Looks like they were just practicing to see how Toliver fight for the ball; otherwise, we might see it turning into a fade here.

There was always the possibility of the fade; if so, it wasn't the best throw by Leinart.
Old 11-16-2011   #55
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
His first read was the TE (86) Casey on his right.
The TE was cut off nicely by either 29, 39 or 59.

Again, I think we simulate Leinart scrambling out of the pocket.

As he did, there was nobody open so Leinart just threw the ball away.

The corner route (84 Darling?) was double teamed by Allen (?) and the safety.
The quick out underneath by 15 Maehl was well covered by Harris.
Sharpton jumped on the hot route (27 RB Obi out of the backfield.
Old 11-16-2011   #56
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Dex.. you are a model of optimism.
I heard people bellyaching about Schaub starting over Sage for two years.
Leinart is a hell of a lot better than Sage, with much less responsibility
of this team falling on the quarterback position. Schaub only had to throw
the ball 15 times against the Bucs.

Simple math would tell us there is no need for panic. It sucks that I gotta
wait till after Thanksgiving to see this thing come together.

Peace.
Old 11-16-2011   #57
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Here's one of the slant routes I was talking about.
Leinart looked left to lure the LB 52 to the outside.
He then came back to the inside on the slant, seeing that the other LB 91 was already taken away by another receiver (nobody in the middle).
Old 11-16-2011   #58
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
league.

Peace.
This is why I read before I post a comment. This is exactly how I feel about the situation. Let it be known that I'm not a big leinhart fan, but to read comments about how hard it will be to replace a avg talent like schaub is way overboard.

If you look up system qb, you will find schaubs picture next to the definition. Just as you would leinhart, haselback and a few other. Leinhart is just as talented if not more so than schaub. Its not like we're comparing leinhart to elway or marino or any great qb. Schaub doesn't posses 1 skill leinhart doesn't have. What schaub has is probably more confidence in what he's doing because he's been in this system longer, but there are things that leinhart will do better than schaub. He has better feet inside the pocket and outside, he throws better on the run, the quick slant and back shoulder fade will be more prominent. Leinhart taking over this team as currently built is his chance. I doubt the offense will change and I'm not sure production will either.
Old 11-17-2011   #59
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
3 plays in one vid here.

1. Another money-in-the-bank slant.
Leinart knew that the single deep safety Nolan would be occupied by the post route from the left.
One of the LBs followed the shallow slant/crossing route from right to left.
There was nobody left to help on 22 McMannis on the slant (also from right to left.)
This is reading the defense; it's not simply the case of a QB looking for an open receiver.

2. The corner route to Maehl.
Leinart saw the blitz coming; it means the nickle back McMannis has a lot of space to cover one on one against the slot receiver, not an easy task.

3. Again, Leinart saw the LB blitz coming.
With the RB picking up the blitz, his hot route was the TE Daniel, whom he went to immediately.
Old 11-17-2011   #60
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Leinart is a hell of a lot better than Sage, with much less responsibility
of this team falling on the quarterback position.
Yes, but can he 'copter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3_hi7gOjE0

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read