Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-16-2011   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just my evaluation of Matt Leinart

Based on this article, I think that the Texans had done their due diligence on all the players that enter the draft (and some other candidates that may not be thought as draftable, or marginal) just like any other team and then file it away for future reference.

Leinart certainly fit the bill for Kubiak's system.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5537474

The Houston Texans have emerged as a leading candidate to sign former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Matt Leinart, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The Texans were one of the first teams to contact Leinart after he was released Saturday (from the Cardinals) and have been among the most interested teams, according to the sources.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #22
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I am more interested in his decision making. I know he racked up a lot of turnover in his time with the Cards.
I don't think it was decision making as much as it was preparation in the film room. Again, he was really immature and somewhat a prima donna when he came into the league. He's been humbled and by all accounts learned how to be a pro.
Old 11-16-2011   #23
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I guess we see it a little different. I never really remember Leinart running a lot of quick slants at USC and that was most of the time where I've seen him. I can't say I watched a lot of his games he played in at Arizona so maybe he did there. A lot of throws I saw him make at USC were mainly safety reads where he would look off the safety and put it up for his receiver to basically just box his man out and get the ball. Definitely never seen every throw he's ever made too, so if you say he's made these types of throws before then I trust your judgment.
These (the slants) are the throws he made more in the pros; the deeper routes aren't available as often as in college.

I've seen enough of his college tapes (which I have deleted mostly) and I agreed that the deep balls like those skinny posts had made him look good.
There wasn't any doubt in that.
So yeah, I understand what you've been saying.
Old 11-16-2011   #24
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I don't think it was decision making as much as it was preparation in the film room. Again, he was really immature and somewhat a prima donna when he came into the league. He's been humbled and by all accounts learned how to be a pro.
Kinda like TB!
Old 11-16-2011   #25
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

There was interest in Leinart from the Seahawks and Redskins, but he wanted to stay with the Texans and the team wanted to keep him.

I'm giving the dude the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.
Old 11-16-2011   #26
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
That's one of my concerns, as I've noticed many times with Schaub's completions how close the defender's hand was from the ball -- inches.

Really amazing how quickly these guys can close.
That, and also, the CBs will play close to the vest at times per the D call (when they know they have "designated" help).

And sometimes, the D will bait the QB.
In one of the games when Wade was with the Broncos, the commentator told a story how one of the Broncos CB said to him the day before the game (in confidence of course) that they will set up Brett Favre for an INT... and sure enough, they did.

They set it up with the CB giving up a pass early on, but then the D played it differently later on during the game and pulled in the INT.

Pretty interesting stuff!
Old 11-16-2011   #27
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 5007 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's some clips of Lienart that I took back in training camp. He's probably a lot better now but thought I'd post it here since its an evaluation thread so here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RWDtexans#p/u/2/jdOvEGKxXQQ

Can't find anyone open so he runs with it

http://www.youtube.com/user/RWDtexans#p/u/3/YvQW54S6clY

Misses Dorin Dickerson by a couple inches

http://www.youtube.com/user/RWDtexan...12/mHxPlH4Zz4k

Can't tell if he's phased by the pressure here but throws it away quickly

http://www.youtube.com/user/RWDtexan...18/P1HWKefCLa8

http://www.youtube.com/user/RWDtexan...19/ORN8O5MQVtM

http://www.youtube.com/user/RWDtexan...22/a4z_eHppgK8

seems indecisive in these plays

http://www.youtube.com/user/RWDtexan...23/bGcbI-9k-UU

http://www.youtube.com/user/RWDtexan...25/GL7CHuPOzZs

http://www.youtube.com/user/RWDtexan...29/ZKrG5g5VvOE

http://www.youtube.com/user/RWDtexan...30/EtJ-rjmftmk

good plays that I liked. Quickly delivered the ball and hit the recievers on stride. Good touch on the ball in the corner of the endzone to Maehl
Old 11-16-2011   #28
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think Leinart has the potential to be better than Schaub.

I think he will come in and play close to the level Schaub was playing at and I think that with time he will only get better.

Honestly I'm hoping that he plays so well for the rest of the season and into the play-offs that it's a huge QB controversy heading into the off-season.
We all want to have a great QB.
I'm just not sure a controversy is a good thing at the QB position.

I'd rather have a franchise QB (not neccessariy the best QB in the league, but somebody you know can do well within your system) and work with him to improve in certain areas.

I don't know how Leinart will pan out, but I doubt that he turns out to be another Aaron Rodgers or anything close to that.
Old 11-16-2011   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteANDblue View Post
Here's some clips of Lienart that I took back in training camp. He's probably a lot better now but thought I'd post it here since its an evaluation thread so here you go.

Nice!

I will pull out my copies and match them plays some other time.
Old 11-16-2011   #30
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Arm stregnth.

I've only seen Leinart throw the ball deep a few times, and they were out a 5-step drop.

The catches were made about 40-44 yards from the LOS (adjusted to a straight line pass).

I imagine that on a 7-step drop, he would be able to throw the ball further.

He also throws well on the run (not from the bootleg) on scramble out of the pocket. I forgot how far the throw was, but it was a fair distance.

Overall, I think he throws on the run about as good as Schaub (both distance-wise and accuracy-wise), maybe even better!?!
Did I just say that?

It's the deep out (from the pocket) where I don't see quite the accuracy (as compared to Schaub).

In the WCO that we run, I would say that Leinart's arm strength shouldn't be a factor. Even though he doesn't have a cannon of an arm, it should be adequate for what we do here.
Good analysis. I watched some stuff on him as well, there isnt much NFL footage, so its hard to gauge very much IMO. But i do think our system will fit him as well, the cardinals where a drop back and throw team, we on the other hand move the QB around and i think that will help him.
Old 11-16-2011   #31
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 42267 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

OMG, look at the separation the receivers had. Even with that
he threw some inaccurate balls.

There's no way the Texans receivers (or any pro receivers) get
THAT much separation all the time

Yikes. That makes me more uneasy about Leinarts ability to
throw with great accuracy.

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
http://youtu.be/LP9EikgRhag

This is a youtube clip that features Jarrett and Smith at USC, but the majority of the passes are coming from Leinart. Jarrett is killing teams on the skinny post, but you'll see Matt also do some things well off play-action eerily similar to what the Texans will be asking him to do in this offense.

If the Texans make sure Matt does a lot of things coming off of the threat of the run then I think he'll be successful. More than any other position in football with the exception of maybe kicker, Quarterback is a position where confidence is vital. If we get him comfortable early in games making some easy throws then this will go a long way.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #32
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

goodness speedfreak....I am wondering what your agenda is or what you want out of the Texans..

most posts, I see is negative.. (which is fine) but what can the Texans do now?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #33
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 42267 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

what can they do? Quit taking retread QB's that have no shot of being decent and actually draft a guy that is a LEGIT QB.

Kubiak seems to like project QB's. It's like the guy that buys wrecked
corvettes and loads up his driveway and back yard with them in the
hopes of someday getting _one_ of them functional -- but never does.

The Jake Plummer thing was only a MILD success. One success in a line of failures. His next best "creation" was Rosenfels who hasn't done crap
elsewhere either!

He signed Orlovsky for christ sakes!!!

Gary - get someone you dont have to "fix"...

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
goodness speedfreak....I am wondering what your agenda is or what you want out of the Texans..

most posts, I see is negative.. (which is fine) but what can the Texans do now?
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #34
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Kinda like TB!
Professional Drinker?? Yeah, I figured that out at an early age. No professional immaturity here!!
Old 11-16-2011   #35
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
what can they do? Quit taking retread QB's that have no shot of being decent and actually draft a guy that is a LEGIT QB.

Kubiak seems to like project QB's. It's like the guy that buys wrecked
corvettes and loads up his driveway and back yard with them in the
hopes of someday getting _one_ of them functional -- but never does.

The Jake Plummer thing was only a MILD success. One success in a line of failures. His next best "creation" was Rosenfels who hasn't done crap
elsewhere either!

He signed Orlovsky for christ sakes!!!

Gary - get someone you dont have to "fix"...

TJ
is Dan O there? have you seen what any QB's have done in Kubiak's system besides Carr (early on) ?

who knows what will happen?
will HTM do well? will he suck? we don't know yet
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #36
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

TJ
The system that USC ran was incredible and created a lot of opportunities for guys. I can't say that he was inaccurate at USC because he didn't have to be accurate. Just like Schaub doesn't have to be ridiculously accurate in this system because of the separation that guys get off play-action, it'll be the same way for Leinart. How many times have people on this board complained about Schaub not getting the ball out to Andre well enough on deep passes to allow him to catch and run with the ball? It's very rare that Schaub gets asked to squeeze a ball into tight spaces.

Leinart will have to make solid reads and deliver the ball on time. Can he be accurate enough in our system? That's the million dollar question right now. Only time will tell I guess.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #37
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That doesn't really answer the question, because that is not something the Texans can do now. All they can do know is see what type of QB they have in Matt2, or possibly bring in a FA.

Kubiak has confidence in Matt2, so we might as well see what he can do before we get negative towards Kubiak about the situation.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #38
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

We're ten games into the season so we'll be finishing this campaign up with the guys we have I would assume. It's a little late to do more than take "draft a guy that is a LEGIT QB" under advisement for next season.

It's Leinart, Yates, or call it a season right now.
Old 11-16-2011   #39
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

TJ
Criticism is good if the critic is on point.

Here, I must disagree with your criticism, however.

All those throws in that one vid are accurate in my book considering the receiver routes and the coverages.

They are all highly catchable balls at the NFL level.
(They were all caught at the collegiate level; so if an NFL receiver can't catch any one of those balls, it is called a drop.)
Old 11-16-2011   #40
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
We're ten games into the season so we'll be finishing this campaign up with the guys we have I would assume. It's a little late to do more than take "draft a guy that is a LEGIT QB" under advisement for next season.

It's Leinart, Yates, or call it a season right now.
Besides that, SF's premises are all mixed up.

He said that Kubiak likes projects, but can never make any of them better.

Well, for one, very few QBs drafted in the first round are shoed-in to be great.
Some of them became bust.
Many of them turned out to be bad to mediocre.

Then he wants to solve the problem at hand by drafting a first rounder next year?
How ridiculous is that suggestion!?!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read