Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-16-2011   #1
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Just my evaluation of Matt Leinart

While reading most of the comments on Leinart, I've been going back to watch a bunch of his games, including:
- The comeback victory against ND in 05
- The 06 Rose Bowl vs VY
- The three games in 08 - two of which saw him coming in when the scores were already settled (Vikings and Pats) and a meaningless game in week 17 (Seahawks).
- His first PS game in 2010, as a Cardinal, against us (the Texans)
- And the 4 PS games this year.

(I don't have any of his games in 09)

I feel quite a bit more confident now about him as a QB for us.

I believe he will be alright; on the other hand, we still have to play the games.

In later posts, I will try to give my inputs on the concerns that I've read so far .
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81025 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just my evaluation of Matt Leinart

How dare you study up on a subject and learn something about it before posting about said subject all over these forums.

Now I'm gonna havta read and keep my pie-hole shut.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Arm stregnth.

I've only seen Leinart throw the ball deep a few times, and they were out a 5-step drop.

The catches were made about 40-44 yards from the LOS (adjusted to a straight line pass).

I imagine that on a 7-step drop, he would be able to throw the ball further.

He also throws well on the run (not from the bootleg) on scramble out of the pocket. I forgot how far the throw was, but it was a fair distance.

Overall, I think he throws on the run about as good as Schaub (both distance-wise and accuracy-wise), maybe even better!?!
Did I just say that?

It's the deep out (from the pocket) where I don't see quite the accuracy (as compared to Schaub).

In the WCO that we run, I would say that Leinart's arm strength shouldn't be a factor. Even though he doesn't have a cannon of an arm, it should be adequate for what we do here.
Old 11-16-2011   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
How dare you study up on a subject and learn something about it before posting about said subject all over these forums.

Now I'm gonna havta read and keep my pie-hole shut.
LOL, every comments and inputs are welcome as always.

As usual, people can see things differently; ain't nothing wrong with that!
Old 11-16-2011   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I am more interested in his decision making. I know he racked up a lot of turnover in his time with the Cards.
Old 11-16-2011   #6
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Throwing mechanics.

Out of college, some said that Leinart didn't have the consistent knee bend when he steps into the throw.

I think that has to do with him operating mostly out of a 3-step and 5-step drop.
Usually, the QB doesn't have a lot of room to step up.

I don't see that as a problem in the last 5 games I watched (which is more indicative of where his mechanics are.)

A poster thought that he has a long wind-up; I don't see that.
In this regard, I even think that his throwing motion is at least about as good as Schaub (and that means Leinart is ahead of the curve since he hasn't been in the league as long as Schaub.)

He gets the ball out fairly quick.
While he doesn't have the quickest release, it certainly isn't any slower than Schaub.
Once he decided where to go with the ball, he usually gets the ball out on time (and believe me, this is very important for a QB).
A DB cannot react as quick when the QB gets the ball out in a hurry.

Leinart still can do better on the quick and medium out route (so that the CB can't jump the route), but he is far from poor in this regard.
We've seen QBs (including Schaub) got picked off on this type of throw.
Leinart shouldn't be any worse than Schaub in this regard.
While he should continue to work on it, by no mean he's telegraphing the throw.
I'd like to see a little more zip on the ball, however.

Leinart's money throw is probably the slant (and this is good news for AJ, JJ, the TEs and whoever running such route.)
I will come back to this later on.

Touch: Leinart has enough touch on his throw on the medium range pass such that the pass is quite catchable.
Old 11-16-2011   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I am more interested in his decision making. I know he racked up a lot of turnover in his time with the Cards.
I'll get to it, but first I need a little break!
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2011   #8
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Throwing mechanics.

Out of college, some said that Leinart didn't have the consistent knee bend when he steps into the throw.

I think that has to do with him operating mostly out of a 3-step and 5-step drop.
Usually, the QB doesn't have a lot of room to step up.

I don't see that as a problem in the last 5 games I watched (which is more indicative of where his mechanics are.)

A poster thought that he has a long wind-up; I don't see that.
In this regard, I even think that his throwing motion is at least about as good as Schaub (and that means Leinart is ahead of the curve since he hasn't been in the league as long as Schaub.)

He gets the ball out fairly quick.
While he doesn't have the quickest release, it certainly isn't any slower than Schaub.
Once he decided where to go with the ball, he usually gets the ball out on time (and believe me, this is very important for a QB).
A DB cannot react as quick when the QB gets the ball out in a hurry.

Leinart still can do better on the quick and medium out route (so that the CB can't jump the route), but he is far from poor in this regard.
We've seen QBs (including Schaub) got picked off on this type of throw.
Leinart shouldn't be any worse than Schaub in this regard.
While he should continue to work on it, by no mean he's telegraphing the throw.

[BLeinart's money throw is probably the slant (and this is good news for AJ, JJ, the TEs and whoever running such route.)[/b]
I will come back to this later on.

Touch: Leinart has enough touch on his throw on the medium range pass such that the pass is quite catchable.
I agree and it seems this staple has left the offense. I think andre and crew crossing the face of the defender and matt throwin the skinny post is going to work. Also, matt is a lefty and most times, andre is on theoffenive left.
Old 11-16-2011   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Reading defenses and decision making; playing under pressure.

Before the draft this year I had a little debate with a few posters on QB prospects (including Newton and Gabbert - then extending to Sam Bradford and Leinart).

I said that Leinart didn't play (under pressure) as well as I'd like for a #10 pick.
However, at the time of that draft, I did think that (the Texans) trading down (to what spot, I don't know) to pick up Leinart can be in the card (along with other scenarios like trading with the Jets for their two first rounders.)

It was one of many possibilities that I would be OK with since we needed to fill so many holes (including the QB position - this ought to tell you what I thought of David Carr).
Keep in mind that the Texans would be in rebuilding mode again had they chosen to go this route, but it did make sense because, out of USC, Leinart was and is a good fit for Kubiak's system.

I saw that Leinart had improved vastly in this area.
In the 4 games that he played for the Cards that I mentioned in the first post and the 4 PS games this year, Leinart faced a good amount of pressure and fared quite well (or at least, very decent.)

I was actually a little surprise when I looked more carefully at those plays in question.

If I have time, perhaps I can take some screen shots so that everybody can decide for themselves about Leinart's ability to play under pressure; how he went through his reads; how he made his decisions, etc.

Certainly, he can make a few better reads.
Overall, however, I think he did well.

I definitely disagree with the assertion that Leinart made poor reads (I took it to mean: a bit too often.)

I also disagree that he made too many check-down throws.
It may have looked that way because of pressure or due to the play being called.

Quite contrary to such belief, IMO, Leinart has matured markedly.
He understands (for the most part) where the pressure is coming from and made consistent good decisions (again, for the most part.)
Most importantly, there was no "WTF" moment.

Kubiak said that Leinart played well during PS; I agreed 100%.
He played well in all 4 games, including the NO game (even though the stats didn't reflect it: 8-18 for 69 yards.)

Like I've said, he was facing a good amount of pressure.
The key is whether he can handle it when the games count.
None of us can predict that.

The fact that he will face better defenses is counter-balanced by the fact that he was playing with different line-ups (on the O-line) every game (and therefore didn't have quite the protection.)

Overall, I was pleased with what I saw in this facet of his game.
I hope that he can extend those good performances in the next several weeks.
Old 11-16-2011   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Ball handling and play-action fake, as asked by at least one poster that I can remember.

In starked contrast to Gabbert who is simply terrible at it, Leinart performed theses tasks well enough that it fooled me on quite a few occasions.

If he can fool a TV viewer, the chance is good that he can fool a few players on the field that has to sort through the mass of humanity on the line.
Old 11-16-2011   #11
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's one of my concerns, as I've noticed many times with Schaub's completions how close the defender's hand was from the ball -- inches.

Really amazing how quickly these guys can close.
Old 11-16-2011   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Other notable points.

Leinart has pretty good mobility and pocket awareness.

I don't see him having happy feet, just wanting to leave the pocket for no reason.
He does feel the pressure and tries to move away from it while keeping his eyes downfield as much as possible.

I'd like for him to finish a little better on those occasions (being a playmaker once in a while), but I will surely settle for him not making a mistake, which is really all we ask for.

So, basically, he demonstrated the ability to extend plays, but he stands to improve on making a few more (better finishing).

Is there anything else on the list that I need to take into account?

Overall, I feel more positive about his handling the position than when the Schaub's news broke.

IMO, Leinart is good enough to make contribution in the Texans' quest for the play-offs.
If he can play as well as I saw of him recently, the offense should be able to move the ball to score 21 points or better in most games.
Knock on wood!
Old 11-16-2011   #13
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I think his key game was his prime time game when kurt got injuried for one week it was arozina vs tenn. matt vs vy.
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #14
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

In a previous post I know you mentioned that Leinart throws the slant very well. USC actually got a couple of busts drafted extremely high running that play to perfection in their time there. It was more of a skinny post than a slant that they ran there, but they would kill people with it. Mike Williams and Dwayne Jerrett both used this play to make big names for themselves. If you go back and watch the youtube videos on them you'll see how many big catches they had getting the ball from Leinart. Don't be surprised to see us quite a bit with the size of our receivers.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #15
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

http://youtu.be/LP9EikgRhag

This is a youtube clip that features Jarrett and Smith at USC, but the majority of the passes are coming from Leinart. Jarrett is killing teams on the skinny post, but you'll see Matt also do some things well off play-action eerily similar to what the Texans will be asking him to do in this offense.

If the Texans make sure Matt does a lot of things coming off of the threat of the run then I think he'll be successful. More than any other position in football with the exception of maybe kicker, Quarterback is a position where confidence is vital. If we get him comfortable early in games making some easy throws then this will go a long way.

Last edited by Texn4life; 11-16-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-16-2011   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm really curious as to how Lienart ended up on this team.

We had just signed Dan O to a lucrative back-up QB contract, three years I think. As if we thought we were set.

Was there someone on the staff who said, "Hey, we gotta go get this guy."

Was it Kubiak? Was he interested in Lienart in 2006... if it weren't for you know who, was Lienart his guy?

Was it Smith, did he say, "We're getting this guy, Gary see what you can do."

Then what really happened this offseason, was he told he would have to compete with TJ in Seattle & decided to stick with our coaches & staff? Or did Carrol(sp) never extend the offer?
Old 11-16-2011   #17
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm really curious as to how Lienart ended up on this team.

We had just signed Dan O to a lucrative back-up QB contract, three years I think. As if we thought we were set.

Was there someone on the staff who said, "Hey, we gotta go get this guy."

Was it Kubiak? Was he interested in Lienart in 2006... if it weren't for you know who, was Lienart his guy?

Was it Smith, did he say, "We're getting this guy, Gary see what you can do."

Then what really happened this offseason, was he told he would have to compete with TJ in Seattle & decided to stick with our coaches & staff? Or did Carrol(sp) never extend the offer?
Those are a lot of questions that you have there, and I doubt that we'll ever get a definitive answer on any of those.

One guess that I have is that Matt probably saw that Tavaris Jackson would probably get the start there......... seeing as he was already familiar with the offense since the OC was in Minnesota and they brought in a receiver he was familiar with in Rice. This is just a guess as to why he stayed.

Regarding him coming in, I'm sure Gary looked at how terrible Dan O wasn't progressing the way he hoped and saw the opportunity to get Leinart after he was released from Arizona. Thinking there would be a time like now when Leinart could make Kubiak look brilliant if he stepped in a played well. There are some people here who think Leinart may thrive in this offense. I don't think anyone had that same belief in Dan O.
Old 11-16-2011   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
In a previous post I know you mentioned that Leinart throws the slant very well. USC actually got a couple of busts drafted extremely high running that play to perfection in their time there. It was more of a skinny post than a slant that they ran there, but they would kill people with it. Mike Williams and Dwayne Jerrett both used this play to make big names for themselves. If you go back and watch the youtube videos on them you'll see how many big catches they had getting the ball from Leinart. Don't be surprised to see us quite a bit with the size of our receivers.
Oh no, I wasn't talking about the skinny post or any route that the receiver can get wide open.

If a receiver is wide open, Leinart can find him pretty quickly.

I'm talking about the quick/intermediate slant in the middle of the field.
Leinart undertands the spacing of the LBs in the middle.
If one of them vacates the area, consider it a done deal; ie. he can read defense.
Old 11-16-2011   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Leinart has the potential to be better than Schaub.

I think he will come in and play close to the level Schaub was playing at and I think that with time he will only get better.

Honestly I'm hoping that he plays so well for the rest of the season and into the play-offs that it's a huge QB controversy heading into the off-season.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #20
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Oh no, I wasn't talking about the skinny post or any route that the receiver can get wide open.

If a receiver is wide open, Leinart can find him pretty quickly.

I'm talking about the quick/intermediate slant in the middle of the field.
Leinart undertands the spacing of the LBs in the middle.
If one of them vacates the area, consider it a done deal; ie. he can read defense.
I guess we see it a little different. I never really remember Leinart running a lot of quick slants at USC and that was most of the time where I've seen him. I can't say I watched a lot of his games he played in at Arizona so maybe he did there. A lot of throws I saw him make at USC were mainly safety reads where he would look off the safety and put it up for his receiver to basically just box his man out and get the ball. Definitely never seen every throw he's ever made too, so if you say he's made these types of throws before then I trust your judgment.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read