Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-15-2011   #1
mirage
Texans Fan!

Rep Power: 0 mirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Leinart and Schaub had dinner Monday; Leinart flew to Cali for the week

Quote:
Originally Posted by espn
HOUSTON -- Matt Leinart had a quick chat with Andre Johnson before leaving the Texans' locker room on Tuesday to catch a flight home to Southern California.

Leinart had dinner with Schaub on Monday night to go over details and try to make the transition as seamless as possible. Leinart also made Schaub a promise.

"I told Matt that I was going to make him proud and just win games for this team," Leinart said, "because he got us to this point."

Given how the Texans have run the ball and shut down opponents over the past month, Leinart doesn't feel as if he has to do anything miraculous.

"It's important for me not to feel like I have everything to put on my shoulders, and just go out there and manage the game," Leinart said. "You look at the numbers in the last couple of games, Matt (Schaub) has just gotten us into the right plays, and he's thrown the ball here and there, and we've won the games the old-fashioned way.

"That's all I'm asked to do, and I'm excited about that opportunity."

Houston signed Leinart as a free agent just before the 2010 season, ending the former Southern Cal star's stormy tenure in Arizona. Leinart, a former Heisman Trophy winner, was drafted 10th overall by the Cardinals in 2006, and played in 12 games as a rookie under coach Dennis Green.

Leinart
Leinart broke his collarbone in 2007, Kurt Warner took over and Leinart mostly watched from the sideline over the next 2˝ seasons. Warner retired after the 2009 season, but Leinart clashed with Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt and he was released in September 2010.

He didn't take a snap last season, but felt comfortable enough with Kubiak and the offense that he decided to rejoin to the Texans in the offseason.

"This isn't his first rodeo," Schaub said of his replacement. "He's played some football in this league. He knows how to play the quarterback position.

"Our time spent together here over the last year and a half, two years, he's definitely prepared."

Their tutoring has restored some of the confidence he lost in Arizona.

"I've been around the league for a while," Leinart said. "Obviously, I haven't had a lot of playing time, but I've been around this game, I've played with some great quarterbacks, I've been on some winning teams. I understand what that takes, I understand what it takes to lead a football team."
Link

Didn't see it posted, but... Leinart flying home for the bye week?
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Leinart and Schaub had dinner Monday; Leinart flew to Cali for the week

thats all fine in good lienart but there will be times were we are on the road a hostile crowd 4th qtr 1:32 mins left and ur going to have to drive us down the field throwing the ball .............. i hope i dont see that but if that does happen thats when we will know
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #3
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Leinart and Schaub had dinner Monday; Leinart flew to Cali for the week

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage View Post
Link

The Texans are not practicing (like most teams) during the bye week. If I am not mistaken, all of the players are off until sunday or next Monday.
Old 11-15-2011   #4
mirage
Texans Fan!

Rep Power: 0 mirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
The Texans are not practicing (like most teams) during the bye week. If I am not mistaken, all of the players are off until sunday or next Monday.
Fair... but I would have been happier to hear that he, andre, and arian moved into Kubes' house for the bye week to prep...
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Link

The new CBA requires teams to give players four consecutive days off during the bye week. Probably why he's flying home.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #6
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61321 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think they are allowed to host practices during the BYE but I am not certain. I do know the new CBA rules allow teams to hold two padded practices after the BYE week. I hope the Kubiak will take advantage of this opportunity to get Leinart up to speed.
Old 11-16-2011   #7
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

He p..p..p..p..promised? I hope that was the media's word and not his, because it is really hard to play QB with tears in your eyes.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2011   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
I don't think they are allowed to host practices during the BYE but I am not certain. I do know the new CBA rules allow teams to hold two padded practices after the BYE week. I hope the Kubiak will take advantage of this opportunity to get Leinart up to speed.
League rules mandate that they must have four consecutive days off during the bye .... so they cant practice.

Edit: Didnt see your post Sam.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #9
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
League rules mandate that they must have four consecutive days off during the bye .... so they cant practice.

Edit: Didnt see your post Sam.
The Texans can't hold "official" or mandatory practices, it doesn't mean that Kubiak, Dennison, Leinart, AJ, OD, Walter, Jones, etc... can't get together off the Texans grounds and work out on their own. When practices do start Leinart needs to be coming in an hour early and staying an hour late every day. Fans would like to know that he's doing everything possible to get up to speed.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #10
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
When practices do start Leinart needs to be coming in an hour early and staying an hour late every day. Fans would like to know that he's doing everything possible to get up to speed.
ESPN was talking about how Leinart's already been doing that since he's been here even with a healthy Schaub, especially in the film room
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #11
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
ESPN was talking about how Leinart's already been doing that since he's been here even with a healthy Schaub, especially in the film room
Matt Schaub made the comment on 610 yesterday that Matt L has been showing up with him at 6am everyday to study film, and go over things they need to know. They boy should be prepared, that's his job!! Time will tell if all this preparation will pay off. I believe it will!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #12
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32528 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I think "down time" is very important and Leinert gettin out of town and back home to SCal for a break for a few days is a positive move. I think the game in Jacksonville would have been a tough game even with Shaub still healthy and what's important is that Leinert be rested (physically and psycholicaly), and ready for a 6 game series plus hopefully one or more playoff games.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Link

Mandatory 4 days off during the bye week per the NFL.
Old 11-16-2011   #14
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
The Texans can't hold "official" or mandatory practices, it doesn't mean that Kubiak, Dennison, Leinart, AJ, OD, Walter, Jones, etc... can't get together off the Texans grounds and work out on their own. When practices do start Leinart needs to be coming in an hour early and staying an hour late every day. Fans would like to know that he's doing everything possible to get up to speed.
Aah, give 'em the 4 days off. Sometimes getting away for a short break is a good and healthy thing. Maybe Leinart will especially benefit from being home and hearing family and friends' words of encouragement, then getting back to work with a somewhat refreshed feel about things.

Last edited by Showtime100; 11-16-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Showtime100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #15
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10234 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Who knows, perhaps it's more a problem for JAX than for us, they'll have to prepare for another QB with different tendencies. Most of their tape is 2 years old.
Old 11-16-2011   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

FYI Ben Tate is going home to see family and recharge also. Per his Facebook
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #17
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Regardless of how much preparation he has been doing, he hasn't been out there against a live defense in a game situation in a long time. Here's to hoping they throw everything at him next week in practice to help him knock off the rust. Time to break out 1 of the 14 full practices allowed by the new CBA.
Old 11-16-2011   #18
Mike77015
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Mike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Who knows, perhaps it's more a problem for JAX than for us, they'll have to prepare for another QB with different tendencies. Most of their tape is 2 years old.
I never thought about it that way.
Mike77015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #19
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61321 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Regardless of how much preparation he has been doing, he hasn't been out there against a live defense in a game situation in a long time. Here's to hoping they throw everything at him next week in practice to help him knock off the rust. Time to break out 1 of the 14 full practices allowed by the new CBA.
They have already had 11 padded practices as mandated by the league. 11 of those 14 practices must be before week 11 (one per week). It is only after the BYE that they are allowed to have two in one week but they are not required to have two. It is left to their discrection.
Old 11-16-2011   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Mandatory 4 days off during the bye week per the NFL.
I thought it was 5 days? No?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read