Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-15-2011   #21
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What about David Garrard as a back up to Leinart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I almost started not to even post this thread and this is why. Can't even have a civil discussion without a-hole comments such as this. Go enjoy all the other quality threads then. Apparently your feel fine with Leinart starting and Yates as the back up.

The idea was to discuss possible veteran back ups, Garrard was the only guy I could think of besides Favre.

I was wrong, we are fine. We don't need an emergency QB if Leinart goes down.
He's kinda right though. Get Favre, get Garrard, Yates or Leinart...it is getting pretty stupid.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #22
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wow to the bolded, I had no idea he was that young. I would guess he would still be around a la Kitna. I almost completely forgot about him.

Mods, can you please change the thread title to "What about a vet QB such as David Garrard as a back up to Leinart?" That was the original idea of the thread.
Oops - brain cramp (I didn't think that sounded right either). He's 41. My (Big time) screw up!
Old 11-15-2011   #23
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
He's kinda right though. Get Favre, get Garrard, Yates or Leinart...it is getting pretty stupid.
Well I thought the Leinart or Yates question was silly. And the Get Favre idea as well.

My intent was what about a vet QB to BACK UP Leinart, not start in place of him. Too me that is not that stupid of an idea. Garrard came to mind, and wanted others take as well other ideas of who to grab.

Champion made a good point about team chemistry. I am just nervous with Yates back there. None of Kubes' other young QB's have panned out that I remember. Not even Sage, who had more experience then most.
Old 11-15-2011   #24
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Jake Plummer is only 36. Former Kubiak disciple. Currently playing competitive handball in Idaho.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #25
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235987 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...I wouldn't want to see Yates be trotted out there with playoff implications on the line.
It'll be storybook...

Cinderella story, named after a guy named Taylor and another guy named Jonathon, he backpeddles...

It's up .... OH! it's in his breadbasket, Yates flips it 97 yards to AJ for his 7th 90+ yard touchdown pass in a 4 minute span...

Tears in his eyes, the beloved son of Marrietta, Georgia --- having overcome poverty & polio & 7 gunshot wounds helping a little old lady across the street...

Yates triumphantly rides the shoulders of both super bowl team's players and the umpires as he's regaled by all!

Even Joe Montana is crying, ladies and gentleman.

Old 11-15-2011   #26
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

how about David Carr? I hear he is available.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #27
Sifodyas
Jedi Master

Default Re: What about a vet QB such as David Garrard as a back up to Leinart?

Sifodyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-15-2011   #28
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235987 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
*gasp*
Old 11-15-2011   #29
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Was it the injury that led to his poor performance in the pre-season? That's what I took it as but haven't been able to find anything definitive. What I read seem to indicate the injury had been present awhile. If it was loss of desire, lack of dedciation, etc. than I wouldn't want him.
I don't know why he didn't play well, but honestly I don't think the Jags wanted him anymore...

Like I said, I could be completely wrong about his ability but he seems like he has declined a bit with injuies and age.

Honestly, I'm not sure who is out there that I'd bring in...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #30
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Um.... no, he's not. He's backing up Eli Manning.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #31
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

unless I am missing something,

I think some of you saw David Garrard and that is all you saw.

I read it as this
What about a vet QB such as David Garrard as a back up to Leinart??

I was actually trying to think of what vet might be available. I am not comfortable with TJ Yates coming in, just yet.

If he has to come in, he has to come in,but I would feel better with a Veteran

I haven't had any luck finding a list of QB's that are out there to bring in and try out.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #32
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

a list i saw (from Oct 11,2011)

J.P.losman
Chris Simms
Charlie Frye
Patrick Ramsey
Troy Smith
Jake Delhome
Trent Edwards

yeah I know Bleacher report, but I can't find any list on NFL.com
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...a-need/page/12
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #33
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
unless I am missing something,

I think some of you saw David Garrard and that is all you saw.

I read it as this
What about a vet QB such as David Garrard as a back up to Leinart??
To be fair, earlier responses were to the original topic titled: What about David Garrard as a back up to Leinart?
Old 11-15-2011   #34
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

We've got Leinart and I think he's going to do very well but even if he's just getting by that's kind of what we're stuck with. You carry a 2 for a reason and there won't be anyone out there better versed on what we're doing than Leinart.

If he's knocked out of a game though you're going to be down to Yates and I'm fine with that except for the idea that if our line gets Leinart killed (assuming it's not some fluke play/injury) then Yates is going to be carting his rookie ass out into the same storm. Do we want to be running a rookie out there against some defense that's getting pressure against us and playing spoiler?

We've run with three QB's on the roster all season. You have to bring someone in I think to fill that 3rd spot if Schaub ends up being done for the year. I'd go get 41 year old Jeff Garcia if he's game. The man is 41 friggin years old. He's not going to bring any sort of controversy with him. Veteran minimum, 6 games riding the pine, and a shot to pick up a ring one last time. That's his deal.

I'd sign him in a heartbeat if he's interested.
Old 11-15-2011   #35
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
We've got Leinart and I think he's going to do very well but even if he's just getting by that's kind of what we're stuck with. You carry a 2 for a reason and there won't be anyone out there better versed on what we're doing than Leinart.
Schaub has been splitting reps 50/50 with Leinart for a month according to McClain...so he was already hurt and banged up enough for Kubiak to parse out half his reps. I noticed Schaub wasn't doing much straight 7-step drops. Almost all his throws were boots off the stretch and moving the pocket with easy crossing passes. Schaub even under threw his opening TD pass as if his push off foot was giving him problems. Seems like most of his conventional drop backs were shotgun snaps....so I guess what I'm getting at was that we have made it this far with half a Schaub for the last month. Leinart should be at least as productive as a gimpy Schaub hopefully. With any luck at all Leinart 2.0 will step up and make some plays now that he has had all this time to digest everything...plus apparently he's already had a ton of reps getting him ready for what Kubiak must have seen coming. I can't imagine giving Leinart all those reps and not expecting him to see action.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #36
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
To be fair, earlier responses were to the original topic titled: What about David Garrard as a back up to Leinart?
True. But I did retitle the OP right away however it wasn't until a mod changed it for me did it change all the other reply titles and the thread name in the Texans Talk part of the forum. My intent was to spur some conversation towards the idea if not Garrard then who else could be the guy?

Before I found out that Garrard hasn't recovered from injury, he's was the first guy I thought could be a good fill in and give us insight to the game against Jax after the bye. I could have done a better job stating the premise of my thread, which is, I feel we need a vet to back up Leinart. I tried to clarify that in subsequent post.
Old 11-15-2011   #37
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68714 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned JaMarcus Russell. I hear he is looking for a new gig, and Houston has plenty of purple-drank to keep him happy.
Old 11-15-2011   #38
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

He's always a phone call away -
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #39
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9887 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: What about a vet QB such as David Garrard as a back up to Leinart?

The Montreal Alouettes got eliminated last week, maybe Anthony Calvillo's available
Old 11-15-2011   #40
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Schaub has been splitting reps 50/50 with Leinart for a month according to McClain...so he was already hurt and banged up enough for Kubiak to parse out half his reps. I noticed Schaub wasn't doing much straight 7-step drops. Almost all his throws were boots off the stretch and moving the pocket with easy crossing passes. Schaub even under threw his opening TD pass as if his push off foot was giving him problems. Seems like most of his conventional drop backs were shotgun snaps....so I guess what I'm getting at was that we have made it this far with half a Schaub for the last month. Leinart should be at least as productive as a gimpy Schaub hopefully. With any luck at all Leinart 2.0 will step up and make some plays now that he has had all this time to digest everything...plus apparently he's already had a ton of reps getting him ready for what Kubiak must have seen coming. I can't imagine giving Leinart all those reps and not expecting him to see action.
Good point Vinny. As long as Leinart dump off short pass to TE and RB, we shouldn't have much of problem. Occasionally, throw long pass to keep opponent's D honest. With our strong running game and our D, this is all we need.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read