Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-15-2011   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Oiler QB Pastorini book excerpts

Forgot to post these for Oiler fans.

http://www.chron.com/default/article...as-2266504.php

http://www.chron.com/default/article...of-2267360.php

http://www.chron.com/default/article...rs-2269108.php
Old 11-15-2011   #2
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70694 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Oiler QB Pastorini book excerpts

Wouldn't waste my money on his book. From the parts I've read he still harbors a lot of anger inside, and generally wants to blame others for his downfall. A lot of "I did this, but so-and-so drove me to it". I'm thinking he just needs the money, and a book was about the only way he could think of coming up with any now.
Old 11-15-2011   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Wouldn't waste my money on his book. From the parts I've read he still harbors a lot of anger inside, and generally wants to blame others for his downfall. A lot of "I did this, but so-and-so drove me to it". I'm thinking he just needs the money, and a book was about the only way he could think of coming up with any now.
Understand you POV but he has waited a long time to write this book if it was just for money.
Old 11-15-2011   #4
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Got no issue with Pastorini. He wasn't a bad QB.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #5
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Understand you POV but he has waited a long time to write this book if it was just for money.
He had to sober up, first.
Old 11-15-2011   #6
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was a huge Oiler fan growing up and these teams are what made me an Oiler fan. Those are some of my favorite sports memories and it sucks they never got to bring home the brass ring.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
I was a huge Oiler fan growing up and these teams are what made me an Oiler fan. Those are some of my favorite sports memories and it sucks they never got to bring home the brass ring.
Yep.

No better sports experience than when Houston had real fans and we filled the Astrodome to welcome home our Oilers after losing in the playoffs. *goosebumps*
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2011   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
Yep.

No better sports experience than when Houston had real fans and we filled the Astrodome to welcome home our Oilers after losing in the playoffs. *goosebumps*
I remember those days well.

"Last year we knocked on the door. This year we beat on it. Next year we're going to kick the son of a ***** in."

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

"A trainer once told me I would have the world by the tail. I didn't realize I was grabbing the tail of a tiger. There were setbacks, bankruptcies, drug problems, drinking problems, relationship problems, but along the way you do reach that point."

Bankruptcies: his own fault,

Drug Problems: BIG TIME his own fault and hurting the team,

Drinking Problems: BIG TIME his own fault and hurting the team,

Relationship Problems: see above three problems. Duh. Plus, I haven't even yet considered WHO these "models," "actresses," and (probably) sluts really were.

I love the way that so many women never realize that fame and riches tend to make men @$$holes, nor how so many men don't realize beauty queens wouldn't bothering spitting on them if they weren't rich and famous. I don't blame these guys for wanting them, but realize what you're getting into.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
"A trainer once told me I would have the world by the tail. I didn't realize I was grabbing the tail of a tiger. There were setbacks, bankruptcies, drug problems, drinking problems, relationship problems, but along the way you do reach that point."

Bankruptcies: his own fault,

Drug Problems: BIG TIME his own fault and hurting the team,

Drinking Problems: BIG TIME his own fault and hurting the team,

Relationship Problems: see above three problems. Duh. Plus, I haven't even yet considered WHO these "models," "actresses," and (probably) sluts really were.

I love the way that so many women never realize that fame and riches tend to make men @$$holes, nor how so many men don't realize beauty queens wouldn't bothering spitting on them if they weren't rich and famous. I don't blame these guys for wanting them, but realize what you're getting into.
He has never denied any of this. Personaly, I do not think he took responsibility for the boat deaths her refers to but he as many other athletes ran amoke with their fame and money. My understandings is hehas slowed down but not stopped his party life.
Old 11-16-2011   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

From the first link:

Quote:
"People in this city are very supportive and very caring," he said. "I was very misunderstood, and I misunderstood them. And for that, I'm sorry. But now, with the Luv Ya Blue people, it's like a cult. I'm just sorry there's no Oilers team to identify with. We don't identify with the Titans. I identify with the Texans because I live in Houston."
Old 11-16-2011   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

From the third link:

Quote:
We played the Steelers two and three times a year for all those years.

Those two games, those two championship games, those were the true Super Bowls. We were the two best teams in the NFL, but we had nothing to show for it. They had Super Bowl rings.

I drank a couple of scotches and a few beers, drowning my sorrows at the back of the plane. I sank lower and lower in my seat, then looked up and saw (Oilers coach) Bum (Phillips) walking down the aisle toward me.

"Ah, (heck)," I said. "No. Not now."

Bum walked up to me, looked me dead in the eye and said, "Daniel, I'm really proud of you. You played like a warrior. You played hurt. You did everything I asked you to do. Do you still feel like you did last year?

"Do you still want to be traded?"

I exhaled, paused, looked at him and said, "Yeah. Yeah, I do. It's probably best for everybody. Play Giff. Trade me. Do what's best for the team."

"Well," Bum said, "you're a man of your word. You played your (butt) off. I'll trade you. Where do you want to go?"

"Anywhere on the West Coast."
Quote:
I rode around the Dome on the back of a police motorcycle, then got on stage and sat behind Bum when he got up to address the crowd. I had my elbows on my knees, thinking, "Am I doing the right thing? Will I be better off? Yes, I will. No, I won't." The Gemini in me was roaring.

Then Bum uttered one of the most memorable lines in NFL history.

"Last year, we knocked on the door. This year, we banged on the door. Next year, we're gonna kick that sumbitch in."

I looked up to the roof of the Astrodome, looked around at the crowd and said to myself, "Not with me."

Bum traded me to the Raiders for Ken Stabler.
Old 11-16-2011   #13
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans might be looking for a guy to ride the pine..... Dante up for one more playoff run?

What? I'm kidding!

Mostly.

Last edited by Hervoyel; 11-16-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Pastorini was not very popular with the fans until those last two games with Steelers he refer to. He was thought of the surfing dude from Cali. Early years he could throw deep but not accurate. I think his flak jacket years won a lot of respect from fans.
Old 11-16-2011   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Pastorini was not very popular with the fans until those last two games with Steelers he refer to. He was thought of the surfing dude from Cali. Early years he could throw deep but not accurate. I think his flak jacket years won a lot of respect from fans.
I have the 1979 Thanksgiving Houston @ Dallas game at home and was shocked at how many times Dan hit receivers in the hands and those passes were dropped. He started out throwing darts and hitting guys in stride and by the half he had this total "To hell with it" look on his face. He was clearly very pissed off and frankly I don't blame him. Burroughs and "White Shoes" might be legends around here but I think his receivers just weren't even close to what the passing teams of his era had.

Pastorini got to the Raiders about 9 years too late. He was perfect for what they wanted to do out there. Mostly the Oilers had no idea what they wanted to do during his time here and by the time they figured it out (hand the ball to Earl) they could have trained a monkey to do it.
Old 11-16-2011   #16
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In all fairness Dante took a beating as a young QB.

In his first few years he was very mobile but got beat to death and was a shadow of that by the time the Oilers got good.

He was a leader no matter what people might say about him. He answered the bell every week hurt or not, and playing with broken ribs should tell people that.

I don't think Bum realized what a leader he was until Stabler got here and saw that snake didn't have the bond with the rest of the team that Dan had.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #17
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Any mention of the $1mill that he always claimed Al Davis still owed him? Al always had the issue of refusing to pay people once he got rid of them.... Shanahan, Kiffen, Dante....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2011   #18
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 36463 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

It's his story and from his perspective to tell and quite frankly, I would be interested in reading it.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
In all fairness Dante took a beating as a young QB.

In his first few years he was very mobile but got beat to death and was a shadow of that by the time the Oilers got good.

He was a leader no matter what people might say about him. He answered the bell every week hurt or not, and playing with broken ribs should tell people that.

I don't think Bum realized what a leader he was until Stabler got here and saw that snake didn't have the bond with the rest of the team that Dan had.
Dan could run when he came into the league, but he was thrown behind a line that had guys like Mo Towns at LT....ruined his knees in the early years...dude never had a chance. Dan was tough and had a big, big arm. He had a beautiful deep ball.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read