Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-15-2011   #1
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What about a vet QB such as David Garrard as a back up to Leinart?

I know Kubiak won't hand the keys over to the offense to someone that hasn't been in the system awhile and I am not suggesting that. But what about him coming in and backing up Matt while getting some exposure to the offense. We need to stay proactive given how we are suddenly thin at the position.

Positives:

- He's strong, atheletic, and durable.
- He's a veteran with a lot of starting experience
- Could run the bootlegs, play action, etc. with ease, seems like a good system QB.
- Strong arm

Negatives:

- He was cut by the Jags for some reason, McCown was elevated and now the rook Blaine Gabbert is starting.
- He had surgery on a herniated disc in his back about a month ago. Expected 4 - 6 weeks recovery time.

I say bring him in and work him out, see how the injury and recovery is going. He could sit behind Leinart, it would be a lot better that having to go with Yates if it came to that. I know I would feel better with him in there over Yates, and it might even provide a little competetion at practice and keep Matt working hard.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Hardcore Texan; 11-15-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What about David Garrard as a back up to Leinart?

i think hes in rehab but for a couple of mill i bet he would come back injured or not
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's see what we have with Leinart. I mean, the coaching staff should have some idea of what he can do and what he can't but we really don't.

Although, I'd be fine if the coaches decided it was time to panic and rush out and grab someone off the street, I'm not going to be worried if they don't.

But I'm not sure Garrard is ready to play physically and he definitely doesn't know our playbook like either Leinart or Yates.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #4
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Let's see what we have with Leinart. I mean, the coaching staff should have some idea of what he can do and what he can't but we really don't.

Although, I'd be fine if the coaches decided it was time to panic and rush out and grab someone off the street, I'm not going to be worried if they don't.

But I'm not sure Garrard is ready to play physically and he definitely doesn't know our playbook like either Leinart or Yates.
Oh I definitely want to see what we have with Matt. And there is no doubt we will. As I stated Kubes will not just hand the keys over to someone that hasn't been around awhile and knows the system.

But somebody has to back up Leinart. I hope Matt lights it up, I really do. I love hearing he has been working hard at his craft. But if something happens and Yates has to go in the game color me SCARED!

If Garrard is healthy, it's perfect timing. The bye week is on us, next opponent is JAX. It would certainly take him awhile to learn the offense, but he's a smart player with a lot of experience. I'd rather take a veteran like him who doesn't know the playbook over Yates who does.

We need a veteran back up, since our veteran back up is now our starter. I don't see it as a panic move, as I am not suggesting he start.
Old 11-15-2011   #5
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs down Re: What about David Garrard as a back up to Leinart?

Garrad is out with back surgery recovery....he wont be able to play for a while......
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #6
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

A) He's out.
B) He doesn't know the offense.
C) He's not that good.
Old 11-15-2011   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
A) He's out.
C) He's not that good.
/Thread/
Old 11-15-2011   #8
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Think of it this way. Leinart has 2 weeks to prepare for the Jags. For argument's sake only let's say he stinks it up. Certainly Kubes will give him another start to try and improve (especially over Yates). If he stinks it up a 2nd time, then what?

We need to be proactive with a contigency plan. This would give Garrard 4 weeks to start learing the offense. Again, health being the deciding factor here. That's why I say it can't hurt to work him out.
Old 11-15-2011   #9
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
Garrad is out with back surgery recovery....he wont be able to play for a while......
Read the link I embedded in the first post. 4-6 weeks recovery time. It's been a month. What's wrong with seeing where he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
A) He's out.
C) He's not that good.
A) See above
B) See above
C) He's not all that bad either. Who else is available Old Man Favre? You really want TJ Yates as our only option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
/Thread/
I expected something a little more thought provoking from you H-Tex. Thanks
Old 11-15-2011   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Read the link I embedded in the first post. 4-6 weeks recovery time. It's been a month. What's wrong with seeing where he is.

A) See above
B) See above
C) He's not all that bad either. Who else is available Old Man Favre? You really want TJ Yates as our only option?

I expected something a little more thought provoking from you H-Tex. Thanks
BigBull pretty much nailed it. He's not healthy yet, according to his tweet today stating:

Quote:
Good morning! Getting some good treatment this morning! Back is getting better everyday. I was set back with spasm for ten days.
He doesn't know the playbook and would take quite some time to learn it

And, he's not very good. I'd throw TJ in before him in a heartbeat.

I think we'll pick someone up as an emergency QB or even practice squad, but not someone who's made it known he wanted to start.
Old 11-15-2011   #11
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 16898 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Dear Lord, this is starting to feel like the "official" boards.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #12
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
BigBull pretty much nailed it. He's not healthy yet, according to his tweet today stating:

He doesn't know the playbook and would take quite some time to learn it

And, he's not very good. I'd throw TJ in before him in a heartbeat.

I think we'll pick someone up as an emergency QB or even practice squad, but not someone who's made it known he wanted to start.
Thanks for posting the tweet. I couldn't find anything on him on nfl.com as I did do some digging before I posted this, but I didn't think to check twitter. Seems my idea is far fetched if his health has not progressed at all.

From everything I have heard Garrard has still wanted to start though.

I still maintain we need a veteran back up. I wouldn't want to see Yates be trotted out there with playoff implications on the line.
Old 11-15-2011   #13
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Dear Lord, this is starting to feel like the "official" boards.
I almost started not to even post this thread and this is why. Can't even have a civil discussion without a-hole comments such as this. Go enjoy all the other quality threads then. Apparently your feel fine with Leinart starting and Yates as the back up.

The idea was to discuss possible veteran back ups, Garrard was the only guy I could think of besides Favre.

I was wrong, we are fine. We don't need an emergency QB if Leinart goes down.
Old 11-15-2011   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe Garrard from 2 or 3 years ago, but not this guy...

I could be completely wrong about his capabilities right now, but I don't see him as a guy that is going to come in and help us...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #15
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 16898 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I almost started not to even post this thread and this is why. Can't even have a civil discussion without a-hole comments such as this. Go enjoy all the other quality threads then. Apparently your feel fine with Leinart starting and Yates as the back up.

The idea was to discuss possible veteran back ups, Garrard was the only guy I could think of besides Favre.

It's simply not realistic at this point. Gary is gonna stick with his guys, we all know that.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Good post...Rep....
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #17
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Maybe Garrard from 2 or 3 years ago, but not this guy...

I could be completely wrong about his capabilities right now, but I don't see him as a guy that is going to come in and help us...
Was it the injury that led to his poor performance in the pre-season? That's what I took it as but haven't been able to find anything definitive. What I read seem to indicate the injury had been present awhile. If it was loss of desire, lack of dedciation, etc. than I wouldn't want him.
Old 11-15-2011   #18
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Was it the injury that led to his poor performance in the pre-season? That's what I took it as but haven't been able to find anything definitive. What I read seem to indicate the injury had been present awhile. If it was loss of desire, lack of dedciation, etc. than I wouldn't want him.
He had one brief flash of being decent then fell apart. He is a game manager who sometimes makes really bad decisions. IF he had some time to learn, I would be more open to it. But at this point, Yates is a much better option.
Old 11-15-2011   #19
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

As long as Leinart's the starter, I honestly don't think a veteran presence on the team does anything but potentially destroy the chemistry that will be needed to see any kind of success. However if that were to be the direction the Texans go, one name I haven't seen mentioned is Jeff Garcia. He definitely has a background and familiarity with a West Coast style offense, and it wouldn't be the first time he's taken over a playoff contender mid-season. Hasn't been on an NFL roster since '09, but he's only 31 years old, and did play 8 games in the UFL last season. Again, I don't think the Texans should be looking in that direction right now, but if they decided otherwise, I definitely like him better than Garrard or Favre.
Old 11-15-2011   #20
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
As long as Leinart's the starter, I honestly don't think a veteran presence on the team does anything but potentially destroy the chemistry that will be needed to see any kind of success. However if that were to be the direction the Texans go, one name I haven't seen mentioned is Jeff Garcia. He definitely has a background and familiarity with a West Coast style offense, and it wouldn't be the first time he's taken over a playoff contender mid-season. Hasn't been on an NFL roster since '09, but he's only 31 years old, and did play 8 games in the UFL last season. Again, I don't think the Texans should be looking in that direction right now, but if they decided otherwise, I definitely like him better than Garrard or Favre.
Wow to the bolded, I had no idea he was that young. I would guess he would still be around a la Kitna. I almost completely forgot about him.

*edit - Garcia is 41, I had to go look it up that seemed way to young.
http://www.nfl.com/player/jeffgarcia/2500758/profile

Mods, can you please change the thread title to "What about a vet QB such as David Garrard as a back up to Leinart?" That was the original idea of the thread.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read