Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Which QB would you prefer to start
Matt Leinart 107 82.31%
T.J Yates 23 17.69%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2011   #41
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Yates or Leinart ?

I voted Leinart. I would go with the experience QB who has two years in this system over the 5th round rookie. Yates might be the better QB in the future but this team is in the playoff hunt right now.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #42
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 3834 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

The real question is do we bring in a vet to be the backup or trust Yates.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #43
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
Bring in a veteran TJ Yates is TJ Yates who was suspect at UNC and the question I have is who do we bring in?
Old 11-15-2011   #44
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
TJ Yates is just taking up a slot and he might not make the team next season come on guys lets be serious we are wasting time on silly votes about TJ Yates. Matt Leinart has a shot to turn around failed career so far lets give him a chance and if he doesn't do well Houston will no doubt draft a QB in either the 2nd or 3rd round of next years NFL Draft depending how matt shaub recovers from the Lisfranc fracture surgery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
Two very, very interesting thoughts here. Time to start planning for the future. I like Schaub's decision making and the way he's made the team his own since he first got here. He's not blessed with the fabled "laser-rocket arm" of the Peyton or the amazing wheels of Newton/Tebow/Vick but he's worked his ass off enough to make himself into a pro bowl QB.

But the fact is he may be gone for the season and may not be himself next season. I mean, that was his plant foot that was hurt correct? And while Matty HotTub should be able to keep this ship on course to a division title, he also is one good lick away from being carted off.

All that to say you two guys are right: Time to get some insurance for this season and to start planning for the future. Here's a list of QBs that will be available in F/A next year. The draftniks will have to show us who's might be a golden nugget available in rounds 3, 4, or 5.

Drew Brees (NO) <--- hahahahaha no way in hell
Matt Flynn (GB)
Alex Smith (SF)
Kyle Orton (Den) <--- with TebowMania sweeping Denver, this might not be a bad pickup
Jason Campbell (OAK)
Donovan McNabb (MIN)
Chris Redman (ATL)
Derek Anderson (CAR) <--- I don't know which is the real Derek; the bust in AZ or the pro bowler of Cincy
Shaun Hill (DET)
Drew Stanton (DET)
Brady Quinn (DEN)
David Garrard (FA) <--- His problem is he won't want to stay a backup
Luke McCown (JAC)
Chad Henne (MIA)
Sage Rosenfels (MIA)
David Carr (NYG)
Mark Brunell (NYJ)
Kevin O'Connell (NYJ)
Kyle Boller (OAK)
Vince Young (PHI)
Charlie Batch (PIT)
Dennis Dixon (PIT)
Byron Leftwich (PIT)
Charlie Whitehurst (SEA)
A.J. Feeley (STL)
Josh Johnson (TB)
Rex Grossman (WAS)
Richard Bartel (ARZ) - Restricted
Max Hall (ARZ) - Exclusive Rights
Tyler Palko (KC) - Restricted
Brian Hoyer (NE) - Restricted
Chase Daniel (NO) - Restricted <--- he looked pretty decent when I've seen him
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #45
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 42174 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
YUP!!

Leinart has experience. He has two weeks for film study AND a solid week of taking the majority of reps!!! Lienart will be fine!
Leinart hasn't had an NFL defense staring at him in 2 years. Though I still go Matt2 over Yates, I think he might be a little less than fine.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #46
grinch1134
Veteran

Rep Power: 1113 grinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why work on a backup plan only to abandon it when it comes time to put it in place? Of course someone had to create this thread so if things turn out bad they can say "I was saying this before the bye...2 out of 20 of my football related guesses come true and that makes me a genius."
grinch1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #47
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
YUP!!

Leinart has experience. He has two weeks for film study AND a solid week of taking the majority of reps!!! Lienart will be fine!
"Howard Johnson is right!" Sorry I was watching Blazing Saddles the other day. Yeah I'm with Bill on this one. Give the muff-hugga a shot. Hell I thought Schaub was going to be a flop when he took over. Let the tiger earn his stripes. Vugg it. If the coaches are behind him I say give him a shot.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-15-2011   #48
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted Matt2.

And had no trouble deciding upon it.
Old 11-15-2011   #49
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
for us it will be hand off to shock and awe and boom long to the almighty AJ!
Did you just...I mean...is this...

I'm stealing this...

In another troll post of the day/century

PFT last night suggested that we go after Captain Winkie. Unfortunately, this actually makes sense to me, as he would be a guy that can hit Andre in stride as well as opening up a part of the playbook Kubiak can't use with Schaub in the very deep throws. Likewise, our defense can overcome his many INTs and allow him to do what he does best (break receivers fingers). On top of all this, he wouldn't have to play a whole season, and he should be rested enough to go (if he's still in shape).

Besides, imagine if Favre came in here and won a Super Bowl against the Packers. Houston would be the media darlings of the NFL for the rest of time. This would surely never happen, but if Captain Winkie ever made sense for any team to pull him out of retirement, I think it's now. I am eagerly awaiting your many facepalms...
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #50
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

This board has been rather calm with the prospect of Leinart taking over.

I wonder if it would be this way if Orvlosky was still the number 2......
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #51
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

leinart
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #52
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 65939 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinch1134 View Post
Why work on a backup plan only to abandon it when it comes time to put it in place? Of course someone had to create this thread so if things turn out bad they can say "I was saying this before the bye...2 out of 20 of my football related guesses come true and that makes me a genius."
so you think thats why i created this thread ???? haha
Old 11-16-2011   #53
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Two very, very interesting thoughts here. Time to start planning for the future. I like Schaub's decision making and the way he's made the team his own since he first got here. He's not blessed with the fabled "laser-rocket arm" of the Peyton or the amazing wheels of Newton/Tebow/Vick but he's worked his ass off enough to make himself into a pro bowl QB.

But the fact is he may be gone for the season and may not be himself next season. I mean, that was his plant foot that was hurt correct? And while Matty HotTub should be able to keep this ship on course to a division title, he also is one good lick away from being carted off.

All that to say you two guys are right: Time to get some insurance for this season and to start planning for the future. Here's a list of QBs that will be available in F/A next year. The draftniks will have to show us who's might be a golden nugget available in rounds 3, 4, or 5.

Drew Brees (NO) <--- hahahahaha no way in hell
Matt Flynn (GB)
Alex Smith (SF)
Kyle Orton (Den) <--- with TebowMania sweeping Denver, this might not be a bad pickup
Jason Campbell (OAK)
Donovan McNabb (MIN)
Chris Redman (ATL)
Derek Anderson (CAR) <--- I don't know which is the real Derek; the bust in AZ or the pro bowler of Cincy
Shaun Hill (DET)
Drew Stanton (DET)
Brady Quinn (DEN)
David Garrard (FA) <--- His problem is he won't want to stay a backup
Luke McCown (JAC)
Chad Henne (MIA)
Sage Rosenfels (MIA)
David Carr (NYG)
Mark Brunell (NYJ)
Kevin O'Connell (NYJ)
Kyle Boller (OAK)
Vince Young (PHI)
Charlie Batch (PIT)
Dennis Dixon (PIT)
Byron Leftwich (PIT)
Charlie Whitehurst (SEA)
A.J. Feeley (STL)
Josh Johnson (TB)
Rex Grossman (WAS)
Richard Bartel (ARZ) - Restricted
Max Hall (ARZ) - Exclusive Rights
Tyler Palko (KC) - Restricted
Brian Hoyer (NE) - Restricted
Chase Daniel (NO) - Restricted <--- he looked pretty decent when I've seen him
If Matt Shaub has issues with recovery I say give a draft pick to get Matt Flynn (GB) he will be much better than waiting on a rookie and we still can draft another QB to groom in maybe the 4th or 5th. Matt Flynn & Chase Daniels are playing in high powered west coast offenses and that would make for an easy transition.
Old 11-16-2011   #54
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post
This board has been rather calm with the prospect of Leinart taking over.

I wonder if it would be this way if Orvlosky was still the number 2......

oh HELL naw!
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #55
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
All yall voting for Yates will recieve the wrath of Hot Tub QB Man as he decends from the room of Reliant for the Atlanta game in a golden hot tub flanked by naked cheerleaders. With a swift snap of his towel, he will sweep aside the Falcon defenders. With his golden beer funnel he will then destroy their entire team. Leaving the stadium in his flying golden hot tub he will shower the fans with chocolate Lambardi trophies and used cheerleader undies.

My friends, our hero has arrived.
msr
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #56
texanway
Rookie

Rep Power: 72 texanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respected

Leinart has more proven experience and at this stage, you gotta go with the experience.
texanway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #57
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55593 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I joined just to chime in here. I spent the last year watching Yates play and the thing about him is, he shows up some games and the next have a ton of turnovers. He was never as consistent as I would have liked. Not saying he won't be solid at some point, I'd just be hesitant to trust him at this point as a starting QB.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #58
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Rep Power: 65939 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Well this is way more lopsided than i thought. Especially after all the praise i saw for Yates during the pre season.
Old 11-27-2011   #59
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

lets bring this back out
Old 11-27-2011   #60
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

someone just cam in and voted yates, thats cheating people.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read