Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Which QB would you prefer to start
Matt Leinart 107 82.31%
T.J Yates 23 17.69%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2011   #1
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Yates or Leinart ?

I loved what i saw from T.J Yates in the pre season, he was very accurate has a good arm, and personally i think he is a better fit for or offensive system. So who would you rather have throwing the ball ?
Old 11-14-2011   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Yates or Leinart ?

Someone with some experience.
Old 11-14-2011   #3
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we were a bad team and not really contending, I'd give yates a try. However, since we are contending right now and yates doesnt have too much experience, Leinart is the better choice for right now.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #4
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
If we were a bad team and not really contending, I'd give yates a try. However, since we are contending right now and yates doesnt have too much experience, Leinart is the better choice for right now.
I dont know. Yates is undamaged by bad coaching, failure at the NFL level, and this is the only NFL system he has ever learned. Just something to think about.
Old 11-14-2011   #5
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 5007 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

Yates. I just don't see it in Lienart. He's like a clone of orlovsky in my eyes. Bad arm strength and bad decision making. Yates has the arm strength and an upside. I saw him make a lot of throws and see some potential
Old 11-14-2011   #6
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Honestly i'd choose Yates simply because of him not changing up the dynamics of our o-line at all being a right hander.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #7
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Honestly i'd choose Yates simply because of him not changing up the dynamics of our o-line at all being a right hander.
agree our bootlegs are designed for a right hander. in most cases.
Old 11-14-2011   #8
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 5007 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

And who knows with Yates we might get a Cinderella Tom Brady type story? Maybe a little bit of Kurt Warner? Who knows there's a chance with Yates but we know with Lienart we're getting below average qb play
Old 11-14-2011   #9
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteANDblue View Post
And who knows with Yates we might get a Cinderella Tom Brady type story? Maybe a little bit of Kurt Warner? Who knows there's a chance with Yates but we know with Lienart we're getting below average qb play
Leinart is going to be a lot more prepared this time around. He has been groomed for a while now, and he must know his career is on the line. That doesn't guarantee that he is going to do anything, but I would give him a chance before we just threw Yates in there.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #10
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

i don't think we should be concerned but leinart being a lefty. the coaching stuff would have contingency plans for this otherwise they wouldn't have signed him and kept him at backup if it required changing the whole system.

the points about him having already struggled in the nfl is valid but i think he will surprise and perform well.

Think cassell last year just handing off then occasionally booming long to bowe.
for us it will be hand off to shock and awe and boom long to the almighty AJ!
....yes i did compare aj to god deal with it lol
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #11
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 42267 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

no way to sugar coat it -- either way we are in deep doo doo..

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #12
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
Leinart is going to be a lot more prepared this time around. He has been groomed for a while now, and he must know his career is on the line. That doesn't guarantee that he is going to do anything, but I would give him a chance before we just threw Yates in there.
Yeah that's true but I'm just being safe with my emotions. People are saying he's going to be a lot better this time with the coaching and the supporting cast but from what I saw in preseason I don't want to get my hopes up
Old 11-14-2011   #13
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311031 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

All yall voting for Yates will recieve the wrath of Hot Tub QB Man as he decends from the room of Reliant for the Atlanta game in a golden hot tub flanked by naked cheerleaders. With a swift snap of his towel, he will sweep aside the Falcon defenders. With his golden beer funnel he will then destroy their entire team. Leaving the stadium in his flying golden hot tub he will shower the fans with chocolate Lambardi trophies and used cheerleader undies.

My friends, our hero has arrived.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #14
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

People voted Yates? Seriously? He's a rookie QB drafted in the 5th round. When has that equaled success?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #15
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteANDblue View Post
Yeah that's true but I'm just being safe with my emotions. People are saying he's going to be a lot better this time with the coaching and the supporting cast but from what I saw in preseason I don't want to get my hopes up
I don't think we need to get our hopes up. As long as he isn't a complete A$$ out there then we will still be able to win most of the games on our remaining schedule. Seriously, look at some of the passing yardage Schaub has put up this year. We aren't asking our QBs to be Drew Brees out there.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think Yates is ready yet ..... I gotta go with Leinart at least for now.

He doesnt have to do much , just keep the defense honest. I think he's a bit more mobiler than Schaub so the roll outs and boots will still be there.

The big difference between them is decision making .... While Schaub has run this offense for several years he hasnt made a whole lot of silly mistakes this season - Even if he has missed a few reads.
Leinart has two seasons in the system under his belt , if he can go thru his progressions and protect the ball ..... this team can still make some noise.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #17
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

what i saw in pre season was a innacurate passer who couldnt hit a WR standing still. On the other hand i saw a young QB in yates who was very accurate and looked comfortable in the pocket, and he hit quite a few big homeruns in the pre season.

We have NEVER had a rookie QB to groom, the last time was Carr and we had a horrid O-Line. Give a young guy a chance with good protection and good coaching and you may be surprised by the results.
Old 11-14-2011   #18
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
People voted Yates? Seriously? He's a rookie QB drafted in the 5th round. When has that equaled success?
when has an undrafted RB equaled success ? When has a 7th round draft pick named Tom Brady thrown into the fire and won a super bowl, and never looked back equaled success. Seriously
Old 11-14-2011   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
Someone with some experience.
YUP!!

Leinart has experience. He has two weeks for film study AND a solid week of taking the majority of reps!!! Lienart will be fine!
Old 11-14-2011   #20
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
You obvioulsy didn't see leinart play when he was in AZ.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read