Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-15-2011   #81
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: In Leinart I Trust

It could have been worse. Just think if Leinart would've gone to Seattle and we resigned Orlovsky!

Lets give Matt L. a chance.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #82
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52676 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
I believe people some people are in for a surprise here. Leinart has had almost two years working in this offense, he has experience as an NFL QB, and unlike his situation in Arizona, he is going to be surrounded by a very good, fired up football tam on both sides of the ball. And, oh yeah, did I mention that Andre Johnson is due back in two weeks?

I do not expect to see the Texan's performance fall off noticeably during the regular season as a result of this change. Their schedule is favorable and the team is as talented and well balanced as any in the NFL.

Matt Leinart and the Texans are going to be just fine.
That would be nice. Trying to stay positive, just look at what Alex Smith is doing this year. But if anybody thinks this is Brady taking over for Bledsoe or Warner for Green, that's just not going to be the case here.

I saw Trent Dilfer win a Super Bowl so I don't doubt Leinart can with this D and run game. Might be a little more difficult now. I hope no one was getting used to those 37-9, 41-7 games.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #83
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92860 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
That would be nice. Trying to stay positive, just look at what Alex Smith is doing this year. But if anybody thinks this is Brady taking over for Bledsoe or Warner for Green, that's just not going to be the case here.

I saw Trent Dilfer win a Super Bowl so I don't doubt Leinart can with this D and run game. Might be a little more difficult now. I hope no one was getting used to those 37-9, 41-7 games.
You never know. Steve Young was a bust until he found the right situation. Leinart has the natural talent to be an excellent QB. I'd say he's more gifted than Schaub.

Between the ears is the hard part.

Leinart never got a fair shot in Arizona, especially when Whisenhunt came in.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #84
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: In Leinart I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
It could have been worse. Just think if Leinart would've gone to Seattle and we resigned Orlovsky!

Lets give Matt L. a chance.
Amen....

You know its not like this guy has not been working with Kubiak. Kubiak wanted this guy back and had him resigned. Kubiak saw something in him and knew he could work with him and make him better.

Remember Arian Foster? Same thing different verse.....

If Kubiak thought that Leninart was not improving you think he would have kept him....I doubt it. I trust Kubiak when comes to judging a qb.

And lets not forget he worked with Steve Young as a offensive coodinator at San Fransico....so he knows how to work with lefthanders......
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #85
Endcoachment
Rookie

Rep Power: 101 Endcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respected

Lionheart will be on par with shaub or even better. It really is just a confidence thing. Think about it Arizona treated the guy like gutter trash after being in a lame system and didn't even have adequate time to adjust to this new offence. To me its all about his confidence level and he has demonstrated that by wanting to stick around here.
Endcoachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #86
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok people calm down. Leinart will not be on par or even better than Schaub. Schaub is a Top 10 QB. You don't just replace those.

There will be a dropoff. Let's just hope it's managable. If he can be like Sanchez we'll be fine. Sanchez is a joke and his offense is way, way, way worse than what we have here in Houston. That gives me some hope. But let's stop the "we'll be just fine, we'll barely skip a beat" thing.

I hope we don't skip a beat, but let's temper expectations a bit.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #87
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

If Leinart can be a game manager and protect the ball we will be fine.

We need ~200 yards per game at 6.5+ YPA with limited turnovers out of him. Just enough to keep teams from stacking the box. Tate and Foster will handle the rest. If he can give us that we finish no worse than 5-1.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-15-2011   #88
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Ok people calm down. Leinart will not be on par or even better than Schaub. Schaub is a Top 10 QB. You don't just replace those.

There will be a dropoff. Let's just hope it's managable. If he can be like Sanchez we'll be fine. Sanchez is a joke and his offense is way, way, way worse than what we have here in Houston. That gives me some hope. But let's stop the "we'll be just fine, we'll barely skip a beat" thing.

I hope we don't skip a beat, but let's temper expectations a bit.
You never know tho. I think Leinhart is going to surprise a lot of people. More mobile than Schaub, a tad better arm, been on the big stage plenty of times before, etc. Besides, "top ten QBs" have been replaced before.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #89
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bottom line is we need to find a way to score 22, 23 points a game. If our D holds teams to an average of 16-17 a game, then we should do decently enough.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #90
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Leinart is neither more mobile than Schaub nor does he have a better arm. His defining characteristics are just the opposite.

The problem compounds with the mistake avoidance that Gary has been ingraining in Schaub over the years -- Leinart will take sacks, force throws, fail to check down. This part isn't a knock on Leinart, he just has not had the chance to accumulate the experience.
Old 11-15-2011   #91
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
-- Leinart will take sacks, force throws, fail to check down.
I thought Leinart's biggest knock was that he went to the checkdown too quickly?
Old 11-15-2011   #92
TEXANJAK
Texans #1

Rep Power: 126 TEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets face it Matt L. is the QB for the rest of the season. If your going to the game buy your Leinart jerseys and get your signs ready. He will need our support. Let him know we support him and maybe just maybe his confidence level will raise knowing we are behind him.(Can't hurt can it?)
Old 11-15-2011   #93
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

For better or worse....in Leinart I MUST.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #94
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17946 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...texans-in-need
HOUSTON (AP) — Matt Leinart had a quick chat with Andre Johnson before leaving the Texans' locker room on Tuesday to catch a flight home to Southern California.

When he returns next week, Leinart will have a first-place team to lead and Johnson should be healthy enough to help him.

Leinart will be the Texans' starting quarterback in the first game after their bye, at Jacksonville on Nov. 27, because Matt Schaub is out indefinitely with what coach Gary Kubiak termed a "significant" right foot injury.

"I've just got a job to do, be efficient and get the guys and this team in the right situation," Leinart said. "I'm extremely bummed for Matt, just because of what he's put into this organization and to get us to this point. At the same time, it's an opportunity for myself to step up."

It could be Leinart's job for the rest of the season.

Kubiak said Tuesday that Schaub will undergo testing and his status will be determined next week. Schaub's agent, Joby Branion, did not return a phone message.

"We're still evaluating the injury," Kubiak said. "That's going to go on for about a week, and then at some point next week, we'll know whether he has a chance to come back or he doesn't."

Johnson, meanwhile, is expected to return for the Jacksonville game after sitting out six weeks with a right hamstring injury. And that's a comforting notion to Leinart, who hasn't started a game since 2009, when he was with Arizona.

"It's a great offense to be a part of," Leinart said, "and now we get the best receiver in the NFL back, which is awesome to have. That's going to be great."

Even without Johnson, Houston (7-3) has managed to take control of the AFC South by winning its last four games. Arian Foster and Ben Tate both rank among the league's top 10 rushers, and the Texans' top-ranked defense has held its opponents to an average of 10.5 points during the streak.

Leinart had dinner with Schaub on Monday night to go over details and try to make the transition as seamless as possible. He also made Schaub a promise.

"I told Matt that I was going to make him proud and just win games for this team," Leinart said, "because he got us to this point."
Given how the Texans have run the ball and shut down opponents over the last month, Leinart doesn't feel like he has to do anything miraculous.

"It's important for me not to feel like I have everything to put on my shoulders, and just go out there and manage the game," Leinart said. "You look at the numbers in the last couple of games, Matt (Schaub) has just gotten us into the right plays, and he's thrown the ball here and there, and we've won the games the old-fashioned way.

"That's all I'm asked to do, and I'm excited about that opportunity."

Houston signed Leinart as a free agent just before the 2010 season, ending the former Southern Cal star's stormy tenure in Arizona. Leinart, a former Heisman Trophy winner, was drafted 10th overall by the Cardinals in 2006, and played in 12 games as a rookie under coach Dennis Green.

Leinart broke his collarbone in 2007, Kurt Warner took over and Leinart mostly watched from the sideline over the next 2˝ seasons. Warner retired after the 2009 season, but Leinart clashed with Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt and he was released in September 2010.

He didn't take a snap last season, but felt comfortable enough with Kubiak and QB coach Greg Knapp that he decided to rejoin to the Texans in the offseason.

Their tutoring has restored some of the confidence he lost in Arizona.

"I've been around the league for a while," Leinart said. "Obviously, I haven't had a lot of playing time, but I've been around this game, I've played with some great quarterbacks, I've been on some winning teams. I understand what that takes, I understand what it takes to lead a football team."

The Texans seem to believe in him, too. Other than Leinart throwing left-handed (Schaub throws right-handed), they don't expect the offense to miss a beat.

"If it was a guy coming in and we had never seen a lefty all year, it might be different," said TE Owen Daniels, the team's leading receiver. "But we've been catching passes from Matt (Leinart) all year, so it shouldn't be an issue at all."

The Texans were taking off the rest of the week. Leinart planned to relax and enjoy time at home with his 5-year-old son Cole. And after a mostly frustrating route through the NFL, when he returns to work on Monday, he'll be a starter again at age 28.

"I believe my teammates believe in me and my coaches believe I can get the job done, and that goes a long way in this profession," Leinart said. "And I believe in myself to get the job done. I'm excited just to be playing ball again. It's been a long time, and it's just a great situation to be a part of."
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #95
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Prediction 1: Leinart will look out of synch in his first game, but we'll pull out the win. After that, it will be steady improvement over three games until he really impresses. By the end of the season, he will be on fire and there will be a legit QB controversy.

Prediction 2: Next season, either Schaub or Leinart will be the starter for Washington, reaping us a #1 draft pick. Considering Schaub's rapport with Kyle Shanahan, I'm saying it's Schaub.

Ok, I'm swinging for the fences, but I do envision this.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #96
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17946 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Prediction 1: Leinart will look out of synch in his first game, but we'll pull out the win. After that, it will be steady improvement over three games until he really impresses. By the end of the season, he will be on fire and there will be a legit QB controversy.

Prediction 2: Next season, either Schaub or Leinart will be the starter for Washington, reaping us a #1 draft pick. Considering Schaub's rapport with Kyle Shanahan, I'm saying it's Schaub.

After what happened with Arian Foster, anything is possible.
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #97
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually have a feeling that leinart will be very serviceable in the next few games.... He just seems to have that cocky attitude and I think it might help him rise to this occasion... if the texans can pull off 3-4 wins we still make playoffs (most likely) and hopefully by then schaub is good to go!

leinart will be working extra time during the bye week with AJ and the rest of the receivers I have a feeling in my heart that all the players will rise up and show everyone that we are in fact a legitimate contender!

hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #98
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post

no way uncle bob lets schaub get traded! I can see if leinart does a good job we trade him for a 3rd rounder maybe a 2nd to a desperate team
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #99
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot pickle View Post
no way uncle bob lets schaub get traded! I can see if leinart does a good job we trade him for a 3rd rounder maybe a 2nd to a desperate team
It all depends on how Leinart performs, but if he looks like a starter, Washington will pay a premium for one of our QB's.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #100
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reason Why We'll Be Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Well, I've already bought my tickets & booked a room in Indy...
Wow, thunderkyss. Positive thinking that I like.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read