Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-15-2011   #181
TexansWest
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Predictions for Matt Leinart

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Great job!! Exactly what I was thinking. Rep your way!!
TexansWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #182
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
that pretty much depends on your definition of the word "good"
Touche', again
Old 11-15-2011   #183
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post

We are going to go nuts with the extra week to angst about how Leinart is going to work out.
I think Andre watch is more important right now. No sense worrying about Lienart, he's going to start a week from Sunday @Jaxonville

He gone do what he gone do.

We've got Tate, Foster, OD, a damn good OLine & Defense. A healthy Andre would be really, really nice.
Old 11-15-2011   #184
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Play design will get guys open down field just as it has in the past.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #185
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Play design will get guys open down field just as it has in the past.

QFT.
This offense is the best in the league at getting guys open, IMO.
There will be open looks for Leinart. All he has to do is resist the temptation to win the game all by himself.
And believe me, coming from where he's been, the temptation will be fierce.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #186
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I'll just use your own "NFL analysis skills" against you. You said, IIRC, Steve Slaton was running better in the camp and preseason of THIS year than he did his ONLY good year back in 2008. Right? And I see where you recently listed Andy Dalton as someone we could have done worse with instead of Leinart. Correct?
I stand by what I said about Stevie Slaton. His problem is his vision. He's dropped weight, & regained that burst we saw back in 2008. If he could've read the blocks like Tate, Ward, & Foster has, he would have been dangerous.

2008, he made some damn good, lucky runs. But nothing you could ever expect him to repeat. & he hasn't.

I'd like for you to show me where I said that about Dalton & Lienart. What I said, was that Lienart may be the best QB in every game we play from here out. Yes, that includes Dalton, Cam, & Hasselbeck.

Bold statement, I know. We'll just have to wait & see how it plays out. Matt has had more experience than Dalton & Cam, not nearly the success. He's younger than Hasselbeck, fresher, again, not nearly the success..... yet.

But we'll see.
Quote:
I think all that "good stuff" you thought I'm smokin' is sitting right by your armchair at home...the smoke clinging to the air and hovering there constantly.
Seriously, go back & read your post, you've already planned out the next three games, talked yourself through several permutations of alternate realities..... it's like you're clairvoyant.
Old 11-15-2011   #187
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mr. Leinart your time is now

Leinart going to take it back to his USC days. Trust.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-15-2011   #188
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Leinart going to take it back to his USC days. Trust.

So, you're saying someone is losing their Heisman?
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #189
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
3-3 is the best he can do..

he really isnt NFL caliber

TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
no hype left for this guy -- he's a washout..

TJ
Can you say 'Buzz Kill'?

Give the guy a chance. He's been in this offense two years now working with an acknowleged QB guru. Sad... Give the guy a chance maybe or just be Negative Nelly Boy.

I'm going to be positive and say he's capable of doing what he's here for. Sure he's not Matt Schaub but I think he's the 'next man up' and will do as others at other postitions have done.

Chill...

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #190
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I stand by what I said about Stevie Slaton. His problem is his vision. He's dropped weight, & regained that burst we saw back in 2008. If he could've read the blocks like Tate, Ward, & Foster has, he would have been dangerous.

2008, he made some damn good, lucky runs. But nothing you could ever expect him to repeat. & he hasn't. Load of manure. I need waders to step through this explanation of what you said. It was so bizarre, so off-the-wall that it's seared into my memory forever. You cannot sit there and make statements that Steve Slaton was running better NOW than he did in 2008. His best year, all around, was 2008. He wanted to show he was NFL starter quality and he did. Then he started slipping (mentally), fumbling, got the neck injury, fumbled even more because of the injury, and then he got replaced and knew he was done here. Yet you think he was better NOW than when he was tearing it up in 2008. Keep choppin' wood, hoss.

I'd like for you to show me where I said that about Dalton & Lienart. What I said, was that Lienart may be the best QB in every game we play from here out. Yes, that includes Dalton, Cam, & Hasselbeck. OK, just so that we are 100% on what YOU said...you are SAYING, if I read you correctly, that Leinart MIGHT be better than Dalton, Cam, and Hasselbeck? Is that what you are saying? If so, I call QUADRUPLE horse manure. This is, yet again, another in a troubling series of events where you try to flip conventional wisdom on its head and act like you've got some special "vision" as to how a guy like Steve Slaton is better now than in 2008 (we just can't see it for ourselves, I suppose THAT is the problem! LOL) and a guy like Leinart is better than Andy Dalton (using the strongest of the three QBs examples you gave). Yet you accuse me of smoking wacky weed? LOL.

Bold statement, I know. We'll just have to wait & see how it plays out. Matt has had more experience than Dalton & Cam, not nearly the success. He's younger than Hasselbeck, fresher, again, not nearly the success..... yet.

But we'll see.

Seriously, go back & read your post, you've already planned out the next three games, talked yourself through several permutations of alternate realities..... it's like you're clairvoyant. Seriously, if we're truly gonna' be serious as you claim we need to be, the thread is about my expectations of Matt Leinart and I listed those. I did not, as you are dreaming up, go on to say how each of the next three games will play out. I merely said "This is what we should have Leinart do in order to have a decent chance...we should do x, y, and z...etc. etc." See, I was participating in the actual thread discussion rather than being a horse's ass (like you ARE) and trying to inject troll'ish attacks that gain you attention and do not contribute to the thread topic. See what you've done? You're making this about YOU and about your commentary on people such as me, rather than coming up with ways to just have plain, old-fashioned discussion about the topic at hand.
I can see why others have a hard time discussion things with you. You are very adept at distracting people from the real discussion and you branch it out and make people follow your rabbit trails.

My replies are in red, above, and it required no effort at all to refute what you're claiming and show that you're wasting a bunch of time. Mine AND yours. And anybody having to read this drivel.
Old 11-15-2011   #191
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Next man up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

Holy crap, that's funny!
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #192
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
And anybody having to read this drivel.
Mine, or yours?
Old 11-16-2011   #193
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5078 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

i think he has a big game to start. Our run game is too good our D are sixteen kindsa deep steel blue ass wooping in a can, and he has do well or it's "Welcome to footlocker" for him.
Old 11-16-2011   #194
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114277 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Leinart throws a nicer ball than Schaub.

Did you see the end-over-end pass to Jacoby that scored an 80-yard TD on the first play? It looked like an end-over-end punt, which I guess is why Jacoby was able to catch it. LOL.

I expect him to be a manager, a Trent Dilfer type of guy that isn't great...he's just patient and takes what he can get and lets the defense and run game to do the rest.

It would be smart to have a LOT of 3-step drops for Leinart, get him into a rhythm as we also integrate the running game. Quick slant, BOOM. 5-yard curl route, BOOM. Quick out, BOOM. RB swing pass, BOOM. Then ease him into the more difficult routes. People might think this is babying him too much, but we've got two weeks off and he didn't throw a single pass vs. Tampa Bay the whole time he was in there...so he's going to have two weeks of no "live bullets" training like you have in a real game. Could be easy for him to get rattled early on vs. Jags if Kubiak has him doing the more complicated timing routes right out of the gate.

They don't need to make him try too hard with 5-step drops and lots of progressions or reads early on. Have a main target on each play...with a safety valve if that main target is not open enough for him.

Now is not the time for Kubiak to try and impress the world with his QB coaching skills, as in "Look how awesome I make QBs. See? I can put any QB in there and have the same success." I am trusting that Kubiak has enough self-control in this area, now, to know that this season is not worth trying to get cute--Hence the signature pic and why it's still up.

Until I see that he values good old-fashioned CONVENTIONAL wisdom rather than trying to be a wizard of offense with his system, my sig image remains. The only guys who can screw up this season is Gary Kubiak if he gets a wild hair up his ass and tries to force Leinart into the Matt Schaub role to quickly.

In the end, this will come down to whether Kubiak wants to try and land this plane that has only one engine left...or if he tries to do barrel rolls and loopty-loops to impress the ladies. All bets are off, IMO, because out of all the weirdness we've seen so far this season...Gary Kubiak has to be the wild card that could make or break the season. If you find that offensive or absurd, then you haven't watched much Texans football the past five years.
Quote:
I can see why others have a hard time discussion things with you. You are very adept at distracting people from the real discussion and you branch it out and make people follow your rabbit trails.
Strange that you would accuse TK of "distracting people from the real discussion" right after you go on a tirade about Kubiak in the middle of a "Predictions for Leinhart" thread.

You started out just fine. In fact, I'm with you on the ML throws a better ball than MS observation. From what I remember of the last pre-season game, Matt L played fairly well, it's just that every time we got something going, there was a penalty or a dropped pass or something weird to stall the drive.
But then your Kubiak hatred made you go off the rails..... Two mentions of Leinhart by name vs. FIVE mentions of Kubiak by name...

"Anyone but Kubiak 2012"? Really? How about Jim Caldwell? He'll probably be looking for work in 2012... well you did say "anyone"
Old 11-16-2011   #195
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114277 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Anywho, let me get back to Leinhart....

I base my confidence in Leinhart on the only significant data we have this year: the final preseason game where only the 2nd and 3rd stringers played. I use ONLY this year's performance because of the play of universally proclaimed "bust" Alex Smith has shown me that past history sometime means diddly. Some folks just "bloom" later than others.

Anyway, Leinhart only played the 1st half (Yates played the second) but, as it says below, still racked up 143 yds passing. He led them on a nifty drive with 2:06 left in the half, from our 24 to their 24, only to have Rackers doink the easy FG. He even made Trindon Holliday look like a receiver.

From the AP game recap of preseason game 4:
Quote:
Matt Leinart was 13 for 16 for 145 yards for the Texans, looking efficient as he prepares to back up Matt Schaub this season. Newly signed receiver Bryant Johnson had three catches for 64 yards.

(Christian) Ponder was a little ragged, especially on his throws from in the pocket. But the rookie made plays when he had to, eluding the Texans' rush, blitzing linebacker Tim Dobbins in particular, time and again to pick up big chunks on the ground.

In contrast there was Leinart, the six-year veteran who has never fulfilled the promise he had as a Heisman Trophy winner at USC. Despite his uneven play throughout his pro career, he looked much more polished and at ease in the pocket, hitting big plays down the field to Graham and Johnson, who just signed on Monday to try to bolster depth behind Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter and Jacoby Jones.

"I was very impressed with Matt Leinart," Kubiak said. "I thought Matt Leinart played very good and that was important."

But the Texans' drives were all derailed by penalties and Neil Rackers' 42-yard field goal attempt hit off the left upright just before halftime.
Dennison/Kubiak call plays. It's up to the players - including whoever lines up at QB - to execute them. It's totally up to Leinhart to make the right reads and then execute a good throw to make any given play successful. No one on the sideline has an X-box controller forcing Leinhart to throw the ball where he shouldn't. If Leinhart screws the pooch or makes wrong reads, that's on him. But based on the last time we saw Matt L. lead the offense - granted it was 2nd teamers vs. 2nd teamers - I believe he'll do just fine.

I just hope the team gets used to Leinhart's cadence/signal-calling rhythm during one week of practice. Last thing we need is a bunch of false starts because they're used to hearing Schaub and not Leinhart. A minor thing, I know, but I worry about the details.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 11-16-2011 at 03:30 AM.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #196
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Little yellow flags turn minor things into major ones.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #197
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Leinart will invent the flying car

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #198
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Can you say 'Buzz Kill'?

Give the guy a chance. He's been in this offense two years now working with an acknowleged QB guru. Sad... Give the guy a chance maybe or just be Negative Nelly Boy.

I'm going to be positive and say he's capable of doing what he's here for. Sure he's not Matt Schaub but I think he's the 'next man up' and will do as others at other postitions have done.

Chill...
Never seen a positive or even neutral post from them(from my time here), but to each their own.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #199
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Sweet!
Old 11-16-2011   #200
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
....with a hot-tub!

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read