Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-18-2011   #41
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Race for #1 AFC Seed

I can see the Texans running the table and finishing 13-3. I'm not sure that would be the best thing for the Texans, though. Peaking in November or December doesn't necessarily win a championship.
Old 11-18-2011   #42
Endcoachment
Rookie

Rep Power: 101 Endcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I can see the Texans running the table and finishing 13-3. I'm not sure that would be the best thing for the Texans, though. Peaking in November or December doesn't necessarily win a championship.
Wait it doesn't? I thought it was a good idea to peak at the end of the reg season. Oh well i guess if we peak now we won't go far.
Endcoachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #43
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Tennessee will lose 4 or 5 of their last 7 games. They will lose to Atlanta this weekend, they will lose to us on Jan 1st they will lose to Buffalo and they will lose to New Orleans for sure and I wouldn't write them in to beat Jax or TB either. The Problem is the AFC North and we can only hope that they beat each other up real good and we take care of our business.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #44
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endcoachment View Post
Wait it doesn't? I thought it was a good idea to peak at the end of the reg season. Oh well i guess if we peak now we won't go far.
I see that you aptly named yourself. The main point I'm making is that a loss might actually do the Texans good and get the refocused on the goal. Too long of a winning streak in November and December has given plenty of other teams a false sense of security. Getting to the playoffs os the goal during the season. Peaking during the playoffs is the ultimate goal. Check the Colts and Chargers playoff records and see how many one and done's they've had with great regular season teams.
Old 11-18-2011   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Check the Colts and Chargers playoff records and see how many one and done's they've had with great regular season teams.
Coincidentally they play in the 2 weakest division in the AFC.....

Wait a minute, we're in one of those divisions.
Old 11-19-2011   #46
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52329 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Agreed. I'd "like" us to take a loss somewhere. Carolina would be "ideal", if that makes sense. Not against Atlanta or Cincy, who are two legit teams. And not against divisional opponents. Winning (however-many-straight) is just super damn tough to do oddswise. We're not the Patriots or the Packers.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011   #47
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68714 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You can? I can't.

Hey, Leinart may not be bad, we'll all find out soon enough, but he isn't Matt Schaub either. So, I'm thinking with the QB change the Texans are probably looking at 10-6 or maybe 9-7. Personally, I think Leinart will come up short against Jax in his first start, and I think losing to the Bengals in Cincy is a reasonable assumption; so that makes it 11-5 at best, but there will probably also be a loss to a team like the Falcons or Titans, meaning 10-6. That is, assuming Leinart doesn't come in and make like Tom Brady OR the Vikings' version of McNabb; then you'd be talking 13-3 OR 7-9. Seriously though, with a back-up QB the Texans should hope to land somewhere around 10-6 or 9-7. If a back-up can win .500 of their games, that's considered acceptable. In Leinart's case half would put the team at 10-6, with Matt going 3-3 as a starter to finish the season.
Sponsored links
Old 11-19-2011   #48
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68714 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Coincidentally they play in the 2 weakest division in the AFC.....

Wait a minute, we're in one of those divisions.
You got me to wondering, so I looked up how things were going this season with regard to conference play:

AFCN . . . . . . 16-11
AFCW. . . . . . 16-15
AFCE . . . . . . 13-15
AFCS . . . . . . 13-17

Personally, I think the biggest threat no longer comes from within the AFC, but the NFC which seems to be resurgent after years of being the "other conference". While making the playoffs is important, it will be even more important to be able to defeat the Packers or whichever team the NFC sends to the SB. As far as I'm concerned, it is too hard trying to pick the "best" teams in the AFC, because it tends to change every couple of weeks.
Old 11-19-2011   #49
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
You can? I can't.
Personally, I think Leinart will come up short against Jax in his first start,
I also think we're going to be disappointed with Leinart's perfromance against Jax.... however, he'll have to be ridiculously terrible to counter for the Jags poor offense.
Quote:
and I think losing to the Bengals in Cincy is a reasonable assumption; so that makes it 11-5 at best, but there will probably also be a loss to a team like the Falcons or Titans, meaning 10-6.
In all our wins, we have rarely trailed. Against teams that can score, these three in particular & Carolina as well, we're going to need Leinart to make plays, help extend drives & get us in the end-zone.

I don't see us losing all three of these games..... I don't see us winning them all either.
Quote:
That is, assuming Leinart doesn't come in and make like Tom Brady OR the Vikings' version of McNabb; then you'd be talking 13-3 OR 7-9. Seriously though, with a back-up QB the Texans should hope to land somewhere around 10-6 or 9-7. If a back-up can win .500 of their games, that's considered acceptable. In Leinart's case half would put the team at 10-6, with Matt going 3-3 as a starter to finish the season.
Jaxonville & Indy are extremely week, I can see us winning those. Even with a back-up QB, we should be favored to win those games. That makes us 9-3...... if we go 2-2 vs Atlanta, Cincy, Carolina, & Tennessee, we'll be 11-5.

Matt's not going to be perfect. We know that. But none of our competitors are either.
Old 11-19-2011   #50
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll focus on winning the South first, contemplating the best way to enter the playoffs (specilating whom to beat & lose to) is a waste of time.

First win the division, then it's one game at a time and, if we're real lucky, a SB game at the end... But first things first
Old 11-19-2011   #51
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I'll focus on winning the South first, contemplating the best way to enter the playoffs (specilating whom to beat & lose to) is a waste of time.

First win the division, then it's one game at a time and, if we're real lucky, a SB game at the end... But first things first
Unless Tennessee starts to nose dive from here on out (totally possible) the division won't be decided until the last two weeks of the season. We finish the season with two division games. Tennessee's season ends with three division games.

Speculating who we will beat & who we will lose to, dreaming about the #1 seed is inseparable from speculating winning the AFC South.
Old 11-19-2011   #52
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 168714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I also think we're going to be disappointed with Leinart's perfromance against Jax.... however, he'll have to be ridiculously terrible to counter for the Jags poor offense.
It's Jacksonville's defense that we should worry about. It ranks in the top ten in nearly every defensive catagory. Schaub and the offense didn't shine against it either; Schaub was 16 of 30 for 225 yds, 1 TD and no picks. It took Foster over 30 carries to get 100 yds. Not horrendous but not stellar by any means. And we were at home! So I won't be surprised if the Jags give us even more problems moving the ball in their building.

You're right about their offense though. It took them nearly 3 qtrs to crack the endzone against the feeble Colts. So there should be no concern about getting into a shootout. If we can just keep from turning the ball over and not come out flat offensively, we should win that game.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011   #53
DocBar
Hall of Fame

After watching Jax lose to Cleveland and watching the tAcks struggle against Atlanta, my biggest concern is now Cinci, although I think we match up very well with them. There will be some benefit from having JJo on our team.
Old 11-20-2011   #54
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
After watching Jax lose to Cleveland and watching the tAcks struggle against Atlanta, my biggest concern is now Cinci, although I think we match up very well with them. There will be some benefit from having JJo on our team.
Yeah Cincy impressed me. Almost 500 yards of total offense against the Ravens.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011   #55
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 168714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The away game up in Cincy has always been my biggest worry during this stretch run. What works in our favor is their secondary is depleted. What still worries me is they have a good RB in Benson.

ATL is looking pretty good against the Titans. They are second on my worry list.
Old 11-20-2011   #56
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
The away game up in Cincy has always been my biggest worry during this stretch run. What works in our favor is their secondary is depleted. What still worries me is they have a good RB in Benson.

ATL is looking pretty good against the Titans. They are second on my worry list.
ATL's running game scares me much more than Cincy's. Dalton reminds me of Big Ben and their passing game is pretty dang good, especially for having a rookie QB and rookie WR leading the way. With ATL coming to Houston, I worry about the away game, possibly with bad weather, more.
Old 11-20-2011   #57
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71024 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
It's Jacksonville's defense that we should worry about. It ranks in the top ten in nearly every defensive catagory. Schaub and the offense didn't shine against it either; Schaub was 16 of 30 for 225 yds, 1 TD and no picks. It took Foster over 30 carries to get 100 yds. Not horrendous but not stellar by any means. And we were at home! So I won't be surprised if the Jags give us even more problems moving the ball in their building.

You're right about their offense though. It took them nearly 3 qtrs to crack the endzone against the feeble Colts. So there should be no concern about getting into a shootout. If we can just keep from turning the ball over and not come out flat offensively, we should win that game.
i def wasnt impressed with JAX defense today allowing our former practice squad players Chris Og......to rush for over a 100 yards, and losing to the browns
Old 11-20-2011   #58
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

We're going to win our division with a 7-9 record.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011   #59
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

23-3 Preying Black Birds

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011   #60
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i def wasnt impressed with JAX defense today allowing our former practice squad players Chris Og......to rush for over a 100 yards, and losing to the browns
But remember Chris O. wasn't all that bad. There was some chat about keeping him around and letting Slaton go around these parts; especially after that preseason game where he was the only healthy back.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read