Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-11-2011   #1
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ***Pass Defense***

There was a link to this article on TexanChick's latest blog (where I found it), but honestly, I think this may be the best football article I have ever read and I wanted to bring it right out in the open:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sct=nfl_t11_a2

God, I've been screaming for secondary this and that for most of 10 years and I love having a guy like J.Jo. on this team...

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #2
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ***Pass Defense***

This reminds us how AWFUL Frank Bush was. Just look at those stats...

Is he working at McDonalds now?
Old 11-11-2011   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
This reminds us how AWFUL Frank Bush was. Just look at those stats...

Is he working at McDonalds now?
No, better! He's working at Tennessee!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #4
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82030 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bad ass.
TheMatrix31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

SO to improve the weakest area next, run defense, we do what?
Old 11-11-2011   #6
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Ain't a good defense grand? Thank you Wade Phillips.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

Wait till Mario get back.

Seriously.... LBs (Demeco & Cushing) can then concentrate on run defense.
Old 11-11-2011   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Wait till Mario get back.

Seriously.... LBs (Demeco & Cushing) can then concentrate on run defense.
what if (oh no!) Mario decides to go elsewhere for more than Texans willing to pay?
Old 11-11-2011   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
what if (oh no!) Mario decides to go elsewhere for more than Texans willing to pay?
Then we'll have to roll the dice & hope we can get another elite end who can play as well as Mario.
Old 11-11-2011   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not going to happen. . .IMHO.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans are are giving up less than 100y/g. Not much improvement needed there. I would say a full offseason of King Wade's defense and another draft would do more good for this team than anything else. Where would we be with a top tier #2 receiver on the roster? 6-2 or 7-1? Very easy to make those arguments.
Old 11-12-2011   #12
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
The Texans are are giving up less than 100y/g. Not much improvement needed there. I would say a full offseason of King Wade's defense and another draft would do more good for this team than anything else. Where would we be with a top tier #2 receiver on the roster? 6-2 or 7-1? Very easy to make those arguments.
Exactly, if Wade could produce this kind of turnaround in a shortened pre-season, imagine what he could do with a full pre-season...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011   #13
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are you talking about the #4 rushing defense in the NFL - allowing only 91.4 ypg ?!

I'd hardly call that the weakest area .....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011   #14
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Then we'll have to roll the dice & hope we can get another elite end who can play as well as Mario.
Mario doesn't play DE anymore; he plays OLB (and I know you know that).

I'm not completely convinced that we need to keep Mario because of his low percentage of time spent at 100% health and the added unpredictability of our D when he isn't out there.

I'm not convinced we need to let him go either, but it's the money spent elsewhere thing....like on that #2 receiver that DocBar mentioned...

Either way, I predict Phillips knows how to win.

Last edited by HJam72; 11-12-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: ...like on...
Old 11-12-2011   #15
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Actually, a lot of the point to the article, as I see it, is that stopping the pass is generally more important. Most D's (except the Colts, HAHAHAHA) will have a couple of descent run stops and get to 3rd and long at some point in a drive, even if they're not known for having a good run D. The key is what you do when it's 3rd and long and you have to stop the pass....or give up another first down.

Old 11-12-2011   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I am happy with the results so far. I will still remain somewhat reserve about our pass defense in that the quality of passing QBs has not been that challenging. When faced with higher quality talent, Brees passed for over 370 yds on us, Joe Flacco for 305 yds and with even Big Ben who looked fairly gimpy in that game, there was about 210 yds against us.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I am happy with the results so far. I will still remain somewhat reserve about our pass defense in that the quality of passing QBs has not been that challenging. When faced with higher quality talent, Brees passed for over 370 yds on us, Joe Flacco for 305 yds and with even Big Ben who looked fairly gimpy in that game, there was about 210 yds against us.
Are you hoping we hold all passers to less than 175 yards?

This is what I look at, averages. How did our team do compared to how other teams did? It puts it into perspective.

Brees is averaging 333 yds/game. He's the highest rated passer in terms of yards.

Flacco is rated 12, with 256 yds/game

Ben is 4th, with 292 ypg.

Our pass defense may not be the best in the league, but we're at least as good as most if not better.
Old 11-12-2011   #18
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 12954 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

2. Going streaking: The Texans’ No. 1 defense has held three consecutive opponents to less than 175 yards of total offense. They’re the ninth defense since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger to accomplish the feat.

All of the previous eight teams to do it won their division that season. Two (1985 Chicago Bears, 1978 Pittsburgh Steelers) won the Super Bowl. Three others made their conference championship game.

No team has ever held four consecutive opponents to less than 175 yards of offense. Only four teams since 1970 have kept four consecutive opponents under 200 yards.

Can the Texans make history this week? The Bucs average 343.5 yards per game, which ranks 15th in the league. Their lowest output this season was 272 yards at San Francisco in Week 5, and they’ve had less than 300 total yards only two other times (vs. Atlanta and Chicago).

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...7-a7ce8ddc4aaa
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
2. Going streaking: The Texans’ No. 1 defense has held three consecutive opponents to less than 175 yards of total offense. They’re the ninth defense since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger to accomplish the feat.

All of the previous eight teams to do it won their division that season. Two (1985 Chicago Bears, 1978 Pittsburgh Steelers) won the Super Bowl. Three others made their conference championship game.

No team has ever held four consecutive opponents to less than 175 yards of offense. Only four teams since 1970 have kept four consecutive opponents under 200 yards.

Can the Texans make history this week? The Bucs average 343.5 yards per game, which ranks 15th in the league. Their lowest output this season was 272 yards at San Francisco in Week 5, and they’ve had less than 300 total yards only two other times (vs. Atlanta and Chicago).

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...7-a7ce8ddc4aaa
Thats amazing in today's NFL.

The 85 Bears and 78 Steelers (thats some lofty company) .... who are the other seven teams and how recently did they accomplish this ?

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Actually, a lot of the point to the article, as I see it, is that stopping the pass is generally more important. Most D's (except the Colts, HAHAHAHA) will have a couple of descent run stops and get to 3rd and long at some point in a drive, even if they're not known for having a good run D. The key is what you do when it's 3rd and long and you have to stop the pass....or give up another first down.
Pay close attention to the Passer Rating Differential rating that CHFF's uses. Teams on the good side of that ratio are going places. Teams on the bad side aren't. TC had a very good article on it and it's proving itself to be true. The Texans had an opponents rating of 100.5 last season and 66.9-ish so far this season. It doesn't matter if it's pass rush or secondary play, as long as the results are positive for your team, you tend to win. W's are the name pf the game. How you get there doesn;t matter so much. Just check out the Packers for validity.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read