Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-17-2004   #1
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer
Default Delhomme gets five year extension

I know Delhomme played well last year, but I don't think he's a great QB. I think he has got two stud WR's and a good RB. I'm not saying they should not have resigned him, but five years is a long contract and 38 mil is a lot of cash. He's 29 and has only been a starter for a year. Thoughts?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1823834
wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004   #2
J-Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
I know Delhomme played well last year, but I don't think he's a great QB. I think he has got two stud WR's and a good RB. I'm not saying they should not have resigned him, but five years is a long contract and 38 mil is a lot of cash. He's 29 and has only been a starter for a year. Thoughts?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1823834
I wonder what we would say about Tom Brady if he was anywhere else but NE? He was by no means a physical specimen and he got his shot when he was young. No one is ever going to say that Brady can beat with his cannon arm or quicksilver feet...just his smart, effecient play and solid leadership.

Not saying that Jake D is going to be the next BIG THING but maybe Delhomme just got his shot when he was older? For that matter no one ever said that Joe Montana wasn't worth the money they paid him because he had Rice and Company as a supporting cast.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Well Brady didnt get a 5 year extension after the first superbowl. But I think both are good QB's. If you get a signal caller, that keeps the ball safe, then I say stick with em.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225226 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
Well Brady didnt get a 5 year extension after the first superbowl. But I think both are good QB's. If you get a signal caller, that keeps the ball safe, then I say stick with em.
You are correct, he got a 4 year extension:

Quote:
The Patriots have rewarded quarterback Tom Brady for his Cinderella rise from being an obscure sixth-round backup to being the Super Bowl MVP by reaching agreement on a long-term contract extension Wednesday.

The extension, which the Patriots said is for four years through the 2006 season, is worth $28 million. Brady will receive a two-tiered signing bonus of $10 million -- $4 million now and the $6 million balance next March (in essence an option bonus).
Link
Old 06-17-2004   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Haha. Touche.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004   #6
J-Man
Veteran

...I am digitally hi-fiving Cak.

I agree that Delhomme is a good stable QB that fits well for their system and team. This season will show a lot about his ability and staying power...he might be the proverbial one-hit wonder or a reliable horse that keeps them in the running for the next 5yrs.

That being said I think that if the Panthers had a gunslinger in huddle they would definetly be able to light things up with the weapons on the offensive side of the ball. Delhomme is a good fit on a quality low key team...I wish them luck next year.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004   #7
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

I thought that when Fox got an extension that Delhomme would too so it is not that much of a surprise

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-18-2004   #8
MoBlack
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to MoBlack

his salary seems fitting to me. it' s not outrageous like peyton "no scramble" manning. i'm sure in delhome's contract most of the money is in the last years of it.
Old 06-18-2004   #9
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2754 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

I use to knock Delhomme alot last year, but the guy was money down the stretch and in the playoffs. I thought he performed very well in the superbowl. He deserves some cash, he's paid his dues!
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read