Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-09-2011   #1
awc713
Rookie

Rep Power: 247 awc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2009 draft class

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but our 2009 draft class has been amazing so far. They're the reason we are where we are right now. Here it is:

1- Cushing
2- Barwin
3- Antione Caldwell (?)
4- Quin
5- Casey
6- McCain
7- Nolan

Undrafted: Foster

note: if you don't want to talk about this draft, no need to come in and bash the thread for whatever reason. just continue on with your day.

What are your thoughts on this draft class? Best of all-time (for Texans?)
awc713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: 2009 draft class

Quote:
Originally Posted by awc713 View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but our 2009 draft class has been amazing so far. They're the reason we are where we are right now. Here it is:

1- Cushing
2- Barwin
3- Antione Caldwell (?)
4- Quin
5- Casey
6- McCain
7- Nolan

note: if you don't want to talk about this draft, no need to come in and bash the thread for whatever reason. just continue on with your day.

I think it's still too early to say best all-time, especially when you consider the quality of players taken in '06 (though not quantity). I had much higher hopes for Caldwell than what he's shown. I was pretty high on him coming out of Alabama, but he has disappointed. There's a part of me that wonders how much of that is related to moving him from C to G, but truthfully, if he was as good as he was supposed to be, he'd have beaten out one of the two guys we have in there now (not to take anything away from either).

On balance though, it's been the best draft for depth. Cushing is a star and the rest are JAG starters/depth.
Old 11-09-2011   #3
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

also jamison was undrafted as well as arian too

it was a great draft. the 2006, 2009 and 2011 drafts are the main reason we're where we are today
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011   #4
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I think it's still too early to say best all-time, especially when you consider the quality of players taken in '06 (though not quantity). I had much higher hopes for Caldwell than what he's shown. I was pretty high on him coming out of Alabama, but he has disappointed. There's a part of me that wonders how much of that is related to moving him from C to G, but truthfully, if he was as good as he was supposed to be, he'd have beaten out one of the two guys we have in there now (not to take anything away from either).

On balance though, it's been the best draft for depth. Cushing is a star and the rest are JAG starters/depth.
Not in my mind. A.C. was either supposed to take the center job away from Myers or light a fire under Myers' butt. The latter happened. So at the end of the day, we have what we were after: A significant upgrade at the center position and a, as a bonus, a fairly decent backup center who can also play guard.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1- Cushing
2- Barwin
3- Antione Caldwell (?)
4- Quin
5- Casey
6- McCain
7- Nolan

Here's What I wrote the week before the season started:

Mark down this date. I am marking my territory. The Texans are about to burst into NFL relevancy. We are going to look back on the Texans draft 0f 2009 and late April signings as the heart of everything it built. Yes, the 2006 draft was a good one, and it brought the Texans three probowl players and other contributors. However, by the end of this year, every one will realize the magnitude of the 2009 off-season… And, I’m not even referring to the Texans best free agent acquisition in its history: Antonio Smith. At the risk of furthering my reputation as an obnoxious optimist, what the Texans did in 2009 will eventually be on one of those NFL top 10 lists highlighting all-time great NFL drafts. Call me crazy today, but be prepared to eat some mighty fine tasting crow with each one of my many “I told you so”‘s.

1. Brian Cushing- has already been an elite linebacker as a rookie. I know many are concerned about his health and steroid issues. The guy is a great football player, and as he returns to 100% from his patella surgery, he will be making a lot of plays in Wade’s defense. Bradie James had eight sacks under Wade Phillips as an ILB in a single season. Cushing is going to have seasons like that. If you have watched Lawerence Timmons on the Steelers, I think that is a pretty accurate picture of what Cushing will do in Wade’s 3-4.

2. Connor Barwin- Get ready for double-digit sacks. Barwin is going to explode this season. He is an absolutely perfect fit for the hybrid position in Wade’s 3-4. Barwin has a great motor, incredible athleticism, and an awareness on the field that will lead to batted balls, interceptions, and all kinds of special pursuit plays.

3. Antoine Caldewll- is a quality interior offensive lineman that has the potential to be very good. I was surprised by his inconsistency last season, especially considering the great preseason he had, but he was still pretty good. He also has the ability and experience to play center and even right tackle, if needed.

4. Glover Quin- is taking to his move to safety naturally. He looks intuitive and aggressive at safety. Instead of being the best cornerback in a poor defense, he is becoming the quarterback of a good one.

4b. Anthony Hill- I wish him well.

5. James Casey- not only has become a rather proficient lead blocker, but his flexibility, athleticism, and unique skill set is adding a new dynamic to an already successful offense. The guy could end up with 50 catches and a 10 yard per catch average from the fullback position. Watching Casey this preseason, you can see the giddy mad scientist in Kubiak shining through.

6. Brice McCain- made this team the first week of training camp. Wade loves his coverage skills. McCain will be on the field on passing downs most of the time, I think. He’s a little too small to play on run downs or be a starter, but he will contribute heavily for the defense on 3rd downs and late in games.

7. Troy Nolan- knows how to make plays. He made them in college and he is making them now. Nolan can cover and hit. Even with a healthy Quin and Manning, Nolan will see the field frequently when Wade employs his three safety packages. Look forward to years of Troy Nolan making plays.

Here’s where a great draft turns into absurdity:

UDFA #1. Arian foster- Not a lot of Rick Smith bashing goes on at TBB. Here is an example why we love the guy. Rick Smith stole Foster from the Bears in 2009 when he made the unprecedented move of offering a rookie UDFA a 2 year contract. Foster did not play until week 15. He looked good as a rooke but last year he did a pretty amazing Eric Dickerson impersonation. This year, he seems prepared to humiliate defenses an earn his multi-million dollar contract. He got payed about $75 per yard last season and will likely earn a similar amount this season. How does that compare with all the 2009 rookie running backs drafted ahead of him?

UDFA #2. Tim Jamison- Wow! I’ve been screaming about how good he is since late in 2009. I was wrong. He is much better than I thought. Jamison will get heavy snaps this year and in years following as their 3rd DE. By the way, he may have a better motor than Antonio Smith, if that’s possible. Jamison’s effort and energy made a 28-0 loss to Minnesota enjoyable on Thursday night.

By my count, that’s 5 elite NFL players at their respective positions: Cushing, Barwin, Quin, Casey, Foster. Also, that is elite depth and/or quality starting material at four positions: Antoine Caldwell, Brice McCain, Troy Nolan, and Tim Jamison. Other than the Louisiana Purchase of 1803, I can’t think of an organization getting better value for its investment.(texansbullblog)
Old 11-09-2011   #6
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Do undrafted free agents count in discussions of the draft?

I don't think so. A feather in the cap of Smith but if Foster was so good then he should've drafted him in the 3rd round where Caldwell sits. Caldwell really takes a bite out of the overall grade. I see 1 elite player, 3 quality starters and 3 uh..."regular" depth guys. Free agents aside, that's no more than a B+ overall. A good draft by all considerations but not topping 2006 to me. That draft had 4 top tier talents fall our way, a possibly another if not for the Daynetrain.

UNdrafted.

Calling Barwin, Quin and Casey...3 of my favorite players...elite? That's pretty questionable. Elite depth? Really? That isn't kind of totally an oxymoron to you?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post

I don't think so. A feather in the cap of Smith but if Foster was so good then he should've drafted him in the 3rd round where Caldwell sits. Caldwell really takes a bite out of the overall grade. I see 1 elite player, 3 quality starters and 3 uh..."regular" depth guys. Free agents aside, that's no more than a B+ overall. A good draft by all considerations but not topping 2006 to me. That draft had 4 top tier talents fall our way, a possibly another if not for the Daynetrain.

UNdrafted.

Calling Barwin, Quin and Casey...3 of my favorite players...elite? That's pretty questionable. Elite depth? Really? That isn't kind of totally an oxymoron to you?

that's a new one... actually criticizing the organization for taking a great player late in the draft, or after the draft. The Patriots really screwed up taking Brady in the 6th round when he was so much better than there 1st and 2nd round picks. Morons!
Old 11-09-2011   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1- Cushing
2- Barwin
3- Antione Caldwell (?)
4- Quin
5- Casey
6- McCain
7- Nolan

note: if you don't want to talk about this draft, no need to come in and bash the thread for whatever reason. just continue on with your day. What are your thoughts on this draft class? Best of all-time (for Texans?)
Welcome to the board and I hope that you are able to find this is a place where reasonable discussion takes place.

Just as you are allowed to post this thread, people have the freedom to react to your thread as thiey wish as long as they are not using improper language nor making personal attacks.

People can and will disagree with any opinion that you feel is post worthy. Nothing good comes from telling poeple how to react to your post.
Old 11-09-2011   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1- Cushing
2- Barwin
3- Antione Caldwell (?)
4- Quin
5- Casey
6- McCain
7- Nolan

I was pretty close to "on the money" on almost all of the guys the Texans had drafted or acquired starting with 2009 when I began to spend a lot of time on football.

Cushing was a no-brainer (I didn't mind either Cushing or CMIII).

I actually predicted that Barwin will become a starter down the road and play well for us (he was a converted TE and needed some time to develop.)

I said that Caldwell would not replace Myers when I analyzed his college game tapes.
Even in his 2nd PS, I said he will not have an easy time trying to displace Brisiel from the Guard spot.

I didn't have Quin's college tapes, but I did say very early on that he kept impressing me game after game (as a nickel) in his rookie season.
His move to safety was logical to me, since I never thought he can make it as a good starting CB.

Those of us who watched Rice football knew that Casey is a versatile, older player who can fill different needs as a utility player.
I noted that his blocking was adequate when we played him at FB some during his first PS.

I liked McCain when I scouted his teammate Vontae Davis at Utah.
I said that McCain can make the team.
Last year, I claimed that "pound for pound, McCain is as physical as any CB"; I just don't want Bush to play him against too-tall or too-big receivers.

I noted that Nolan was a play-maker in college, but he was inconsistent (sometimes he would make the wrong read or take a bad angle).
Overall, I said that Nolan is better than Barber and should have a better future.
This off-season, I said I hope the light come on in his head (ie., if he can improve in the areas mentioned above) then he's a guy Wade can work with (using the terminology of CB, a regular poster here).

A note here is that Anthony Hill was left out; he was another 4th rounder.
I didn't like him.
During the draft, I said that the Texans can do better drafting Brandon Myers in the 5th.
He was drafted in the 6th round by the Raiders.
He had suited up for them in 34 games, starting 9.

I had a thread analyzing Foster out of college.
His game suits the ZBS scheme very well.
I declared he was a steal as an UDFA.
In a different thread, I even talked about how I watched the other Vols RB Hardesty play.
I noticed that overall, Hardesty happened to receive better blockings when he was in the game, and yet Foster still got better results.
(Hardesty was drafted in the second round by the Browns in 2010).

I talked about Jamison out of Michigan in another UDFA thread.
I really liked his motor.
I figured he can make the team somehow.
I projected him as a rotational player down the road.

Many of those calls were very bold and very early.
I just want to put them out here so that people (who didn't read many of my posts, especially before draft day) know that these thoughts weren't in hindsight.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't know much about Nolan, but once I read up on him I really liked what I saw. He looked like a play maker with a nose for the ball and could lay the wood. I thout Quinn should have been at safety from day one. Didn't like Cushing because of the roids rumors.
Old 11-10-2011   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Lork 88 did a nice write-up worth revisiting 4 those so inclined - http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61089

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #12
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Last year, I claimed that "pound for pound, McCain is as physical as any CB"; I just don't want Bush to play him against too-tall or too-big receivers.
Good overall analysis but to prove that I read your entire post I have to point out that his teammate at Utah was Sean Smith. Davis is now Smith's teammate in Miami though.
Old 11-10-2011   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post

UNdrafted.

Ummmm...... No

I've got Foster and Cushing as all pro players

Barwin and Quin as above avg starters, who are young and only going to get better.

Other than hill the rest of the draft is made up of well above avg depth players. Never though I would say this, but great job by Rick and Gary.

Having Wade put all of the pieces in the right places (Cush ILB, Barwin WLB, Quin S) has made all of the difference in the world.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was pretty close to "on the money" on almost all of the guys the Texans had drafted or acquired starting with 2009 when I began to spend a lot of time on football.

Cushing was a no-brainer (I didn't mind either Cushing or CMIII).

I actually predicted that Barwin will become a starter down the road and play well for us (he was a converted TE and needed some time to develop.)

I said that Caldwell would not replace Myers when I analyzed his college game tapes.
Even in his 2nd PS, I said he will not have an easy time trying to displace Brisiel from the Guard spot.

I didn't have Quin's college tapes, but I did say very early on that he kept impressing me game after game (as a nickel) in his rookie season.
His move to safety was logical to me, since I never thought he can make it as a good starting CB.

Those of us who watched Rice football knew that Casey is a versatile, older player who can fill different needs as a utility player.
I noted that his blocking was adequate when we played him at FB some during his first PS.

I noted that Nolan was a play-maker in college, but he was inconsistent (sometimes he would make the wrong read or take a bad angle).
Overall, I said that Nolan is better than Barber and should have a better future.
This off-season, I said I hope the light come on in his head (ie., if he can improve in the areas mentioned above) then he's a guy Wade can work with (using the terminology of CB, a regular poster here).

A note here is that Anthony Hill was left out; he was another 4th rounder.
I didn't like him.
During the draft, I said that the Texans can do better drafting Brandon Myers in the 5th.
He was drafted in the 6th round by the Raiders.
He had suited up for them in 34 games, starting 9.

I had a thread analyzing Foster out of college.
His game suits the ZBS scheme very well.
I declared he was a steal as an UDFA.
In a different thread, I even talked about how I watched the other Vols RB Hardesty play.
I noticed that overall, Hardesty happened to receive better blockings when he was in the game, and yet Foster still got better results.
(Hardesty was drafted in the second round by the Browns in 2010).

I talked about Jamison out of Michigan in another UDFA thread.
I really liked his motor.
I figured he can make the team somehow.
I projected him as a rotational player down the road.

Many of those calls were very bold and very early.
I just want to put them out here so that people (who didn't read many of my posts, especially before draft day) know that these thoughts weren't in hindsight.
Thanks for the rep Senor Stan.

I called the Cushing and Barwin picks and really liked the rest of the draft. (Even though I wanted CM3 better family lineage)

I remembered alot of your posts about this draft and you really were spot on. Give us your evaluation of the 2011 draft. I thought it was a great draft as well. With alot of high effort guys that football was priorty #1.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #15
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
that's a new one... actually criticizing the organization for taking a great player late in the draft, or after the draft. The Patriots really screwed up taking Brady in the 6th round when he was so much better than there 1st and 2nd round picks. Morons!
What are you typing about? Brady? I just asked if undrafted FREE AGENTS really counted as part of the draft. I don't see how they have any relation to the draft. Arian Foster could not have been less drafted. He was a street free agent out of college. If there was a draft in 2009, he was not part of it. The bullet point of these posts are......

Antonio Smith was a free agent. Does that make him a draft pick too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Ummmm...... No

I've got Foster and Cushing as all pro players

Barwin and Quin as above avg starters, who are young and only going to get better.

Other than hill the rest of the draft is made up of well above avg depth players. Never though I would say this, but great job by Rick and Gary.

Having Wade put all of the pieces in the right places (Cush ILB, Barwin WLB, Quin S) has made all of the difference in the world.
Ummmmmmm I'm sorry for having a different opinion on what a draft pick is. As far as "above average depth" and "elite depth" y'all need to hold off on the adjectives. Elite depth exists on pro-bowl teams. McCain is pretty good for a dime back. Nolan is pretty decent as the 5th safety going into the season. Caldwell hasn't made huge jumps in performance like Myers or Brisiel but he seems to be carving himself a niche as a backup, much like Butler does.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Good overall analysis but to prove that I read your entire post I have to point out that his teammate at Utah was Sean Smith. Davis is now Smith's teammate in Miami though.
You're right, I just typed the wrong name.
I made several points about Sean Smith, the most important one was that he worked out of the shuffle and turn/run/bail at Utah (he had no backpedal, and I think he still doesn't.)
Vontae Davis (Illinois) was another CB that I "reported" on during pre-draft that year.
Both of these guys were drafted by the Dolphins.
Together with Jason Allen, they all played the same way (pretty much): no backpedal that I can see.
I don't remember if I mentioned this fact when I talked about Allen during his time at Miami.
(Note: Vontae did work out of the backpedal in college.)

(I think I might have used the Dolphins as one example that the shuffle isn't anything unique. The Redskins of old with Darell Green was the first example I used a couple years ago - their playbook indicates so.)
Old 11-12-2011   #17
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

The 2009 draft is the best of all time for the Texans?

Seriously?

LMAO.

Um, the 2006 Texans draft is probably considered one of the best draft classes in all of the NFL over the last decade. Now, MAYBE the 2009 class will EVENTUALLY catch up. They certainly have the potential. But for now, it's too soon to tell.

But for now, no draft class from this team can touch 2006.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Thanks for the rep Senor Stan.

I called the Cushing and Barwin picks and really liked the rest of the draft. (Even though I wanted CM3 better family lineage)

I remembered alot of your posts about this draft and you really were spot on. Give us your evaluation of the 2011 draft. I thought it was a great draft as well. With alot of high effort guys that football was priorty #1.
It's tougher this time around for several reasons (defending KJ, LOL - studying Wade's defense - lack of time as I rejoined the "labor force").

Let me start with a few things, even though you already know a few of my stances.

I signed off on JJ Wattt 110%.
I don't think I mentioned it here on the board, but when I conversed with my brother-in-law (the one who still dislikes KJ), I made this statement:
As much as Mario is the ebony (as the #1 pick), Watt is the ivory (at the #11 pick).
That was a very strong statement, I'd say.
I had no doubt that Watt will be the starter day one.

Reed is a little different.
The first thing I said about him was that you can't have too many effort guys on your team (before the draft.)
I noticed him when I scouted Mitchell (yeah, I also called the Mitchell pick before the 2010 draft, along with KJ.)

Take Reed in a heartbeat at that draft slot (even though I thought that the Texans probably won't draft an OLB in the first two rounds - due to the fact that I believed Mario can play well as an OLB and that most indications pointed to Barwin making a full recovery; there was more to it, but let's keep it simple for now.)
I will pick up on Reed in the next post!
Old 11-12-2011   #19
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's tougher this time around for several reasons (defending KJ, LOL - studying Wade's defense - lack of time as I rejoined the "labor force").

Let me start with a few things, even though you already know a few of my stances.

I signed off on JJ Wattt 110%.
I don't think I mentioned it here on the board, but when I conversed with my brother-in-law (the one who still dislikes KJ), I made this statement:
As much as Mario is the ebony (as the #1 pick), Watt is the ivory (at the #11 pick).
That was a very strong statement, I'd say.
I had no doubt that Watt will be the starter day one.

Reed is a little different.
The first thing I said about him was that you can't have too many effort guys on your team (before the draft.)
I noticed him when I scouted Mitchell (yeah, I also called the Mitchell pick before the 2010 draft, along with KJ.)

Take Reed in a heartbeat at that draft slot (even though I thought that the Texans probably won't draft an OLB in the first two rounds - due to the fact that I believed Mario can play well as an OLB and that most indications pointed to Barwin making a full recovery; there was more to it, but let's keep it simple for now.)
I will pick up on Reed in the next post!
Funny you should mention Reed. I've been reading several articles the last few days about how Bill Belechik has screwed up his last few drafts and how he passed on major defensive talent.

I'm pretty certain that the buzz around Reed was that New England was going to go after him. Yet, when it came time for us to pick in the second round, there he was.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011   #20
bo orlando
Veteran

Rep Power: 1426 bo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1- Cushing
2- Barwin
3- Antione Caldwell (?)
4- Quin
5- Casey
6- McCain
7- Nolan

It's a good draft to be sure, but don't go crazy with the hyperbole. Cushing and Foster (if you can call him a draftee) are home run picks, Quinn looks decent, but the rest is whatever. Barwin has been pretty mediocre since Mario went down, and Caldwell can't get on the field. Everybody else is depth or unproven, even Casey.

The 2006 draft brought Mario, Demeco, Winston, Daniels. That's four pro-bowlers (Winston seems likely to get in this year), and more importantly four bullseyes with the first 4 of 5 picks (the spencer injury unfortunately being the one failed pick).
bo orlando is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read