Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-08-2011   #1
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128402 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Whats this? Respect? NO WAY!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...elow-afc-radar

Quote:
Halfway through the season, nothing much has changed in the NFL. Green Bay is still the team to beat in the NFC, while the AFC holds weekly auditions for its favorite.

For the moment, Baltimore is that club, thanks largely to the Ravens' two-game sweep of Pittsburgh, and it should be. But what about this time next month? I've heard people suggest the Jets, New England and Pittsburgh ... maybe even Buffalo? ... as possibilities before the season is over, but I'm still waiting for someone to come around to the Houston Texans.

So let me do it.

The Texans are off to their best start in franchise history, are a cinch to win their division and, like Baltimore, knocked off Pittsburgh. But this is what I like best about these guys: They can do it all ... run, pass and play defense ... and if you don't believe me, check out this week's numbers. They're eighth in overall offense and second in rushing. They lead the league in team defense, are fourth vs. the run, second vs. the pass, third in points allowed and fifth in the takeaway/turnover differential.

That's the definition of a complete football team, folks, and that alone should make them a factor come playoff time.
Quote:
But there's something else. The Texans are on a three-game roll, and while that doesn't exactly make them unique, this does: They're doing it without their star playmakers on either side of the ball. That would be wide receiver Andre Johnson and linebacker Mario Williams. Williams is lost for the season, while Johnson hasn't played in over a month. Yet the Texans have survived, going 3-2 without Johnson and 3-1 without Williams ... and, yeah, that has my attention, too.

So does this: Some opponents accuse them of being "dirty" now, claiming they play outside the rules, and that happens when you're good. It doesn't happen when you stink. Look back at the Texans' history, and tell me how many times opponents charged them with being too rough or downright dirty. They didn't. That's because they weren't any good, so opponents didn't care.

Well now they do. And so should you.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #2
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Whats this? Respect? NO WAY!

This makes me all giddy inside!!!!
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #3
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Great find. Thanks for posting that.

John Madden has always said that the key to getting to the Super Bowl is that you want to be on a roll at the end of the season and that way you roll through the playoffs.

This is going to sound strange, but I think perhaps the Texans could stand to lose another game between now and the post season simply because I don't see them rolling for 9 or 10 straight games.

If they lost to Tampa Bay or Atlanta, they could then roll the next three or four games of the regular season, then two through the post season, and---boom---they're in the big show!

Just thinking out loud....
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #4
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Awesome! that pic of Brian Cushing is scary btw.
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #5
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8095 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

We should switch to those battle reds to match our new 'persona'....

.....and now i'm out of here before the debate beings!
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post

John Madden has always said that the key to getting to the Super Bowl is that you want to be on a roll at the end of the season and that way you roll through the playoffs.

This is going to sound strange, but I think perhaps the Texans could stand to lose another game between now and the post season simply because I don't see them rolling for 9 or 10 straight games.

If they lost to Tampa Bay or Atlanta, they could then roll the next three or four games of the regular season, then two through the post season, and---boom---they're in the big show!

If the texans made it to the superbowl I'd cry.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #7
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yep. In every sport there's always a team that gains momentum towards the end of the season and swoops in and everyone is like, "Woa! Where did they come from?"

Happens in baseball and the NFL.

Also, enough with the respect thing already. A source at ESPN told me that today they were discussing the Texans on one of their shows, and one or two people were arguing that the Texans are the best team in the AFC because we're still winning despite losing our major play makers.

The media has always liked and respected us. We've just never delivered.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-09-2011   #8
jradMIT
Veteran

Rep Power: 7556 jradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think its out the question that they can run the table, unlikely yes, but with defense and a running game you usually get pretty consistent play week to week. If they can go on the road this week and pull out a W and get to the bye, then after the bye get Dre back, it wouldn't be the craziest thing. They have a pretty weak schedule so they could still lay an egg and beat some of these teams left on the schedule.

Quote:

jradMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post

The media has always liked and respected us. We've just never delivered.
Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jradMIT View Post
I don't think its out the question that they can run the table, unlikely yes, but with defense and a running game you usually get pretty consistent play week to week. If they can go on the road this week and pull out a W and get to the bye, then after the bye get Dre back, it wouldn't be the craziest thing. They have a pretty weak schedule so they could still lay an egg and beat some of these teams left on the schedule.
In this case, I'm worried about peaking too early.
Old 11-09-2011   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Earlier in the season, I predicted 6-4 at the bye week and would have been happy with that. Now I want and expect nothing less than 7-3 at the bye. It's amazing how success changes your outlook on things.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011   #11
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, let's lose a couple games so we don't win 9 in a row. Wouldn't want something like a 9 game winning streak mucking up playoff expectations.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

If I'm Kubiak, I tell the "kids" to not listen to a word of this because we haven't done anything yet. Our goal this year has been to take it one game at a time, then win the division, then make it to the playoffs. All this talk about being seeded #2 and having a homefield bye for the playoffs is a bunch of talk if we don't take care of our primary goals. As much as I love the fact we are being talked about, our team has yet to make the playoffs no matter how you spin it. Keep your head down and keep working.
El Tejano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011   #13
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 56294 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

1 - 0 every game, every quarter, every possession, every play.

The rest will take care of itself.
Old 11-09-2011   #14
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Gotta' admit that it felt GOOD reading that article.

In the past, it was always "We THINK the Texans COULD be good this year..."

Now it's "The Texans ARE good this year..." and it's nice to see something positive written about us that has legs to it--Rather than preseason predictions, etc.

I don't think we're the best team in the AFC though. I think we could easily struggle against the cold weather teams up there in Baltimore, Pittsburgh, New England, Cincinatti, and even Buffalo perhaps. That's what worries me. We need home field advantage in a big way, IMO.

Here's to hoping we beat Tampa Bay and get to the byw week with no further injuries. :cheers:
Old 11-09-2011   #15
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

Just to add since it's sort of on topic...(Although not about the article itself)

That show "First Take" on BESPN had Kordell do his top 5 AFC rankins. He had:
1) Ravens
2) Steelers
3) Bengals
4) Patriots
5) Jets

Then they did that stupid thing where Skip Bayless comes out to some dumb music and he "corrects" Stewart. He went over to go pick up the Texans helmet, and then left it there telling Stewart he had the right five. I wonder what he's gonna do when the Texans keep winning games and they continue doing this ****ty power rankings segment.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Meh!! I remain cautiously optimistic.

This Tampa game is a big game. This is the type of game the Texans have lost in the past. Punch Tampa in the mouth and go into the bye 7-3 rather than 6-4.
Old 11-09-2011   #17
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

This Tampa game is a big game. This is the type of game the Texans have lost in the past. Punch Tampa in the mouth and go into the bye 7-3 rather than 6-4.
It's unfamiliar territory for me since the Texans are the only team I have ever followed in the NFL(So I don't know how to feel about situations this season since they're franchise firsts). But for some odd reason I feel confident about this one...more than cautiously optimistic.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011   #18
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

You just came dangerously close to labelling it a statement game!

I just accidentally labelled it a statement game!
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011   #19
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Its nice to see some love I am sure as the wins continue more will come. I think in a way it may be good for our players to have everyone doubt them, it keeps a chip on their shoulders. I have watched every game in Texans history and I am having more fun this year then ever before. Barring injury I expect the Texans make some noise in the playoffs. "IF" they get home field advantage this could be a amazing year.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011   #20
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 101015 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
You just came dangerously close to labelling it a statement game!

I just accidentally labelled it a statement game!
OK, I guess someone has to say it:

Most important game in team history...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read