Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-10-2011   #21
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston's D and the Next Four Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTexas2Step View Post
It's as simple as this. Our defense is miles ahead of what we fielded out there every Sunday last year. No longer do we dread going three and out like we used to, because we know we have a squad back there who can force turnovers.

However, there is one thing I'd like to highlight - partly because we as a knowledgable fanbase should always be raising the bar for this team - and that is the offensive rankings of the first eight teams we've played.

Indianpolis colts : 31st yards 30th pts
Miami Dolphins: 19th yards 25th pts
New Orleans Saints: 2nd yards 2nd pts
Pittsburg Steelers: 9th yards 19th pts
Oakland Raiders: 10th yards 17th pts
Baltimore Ravens: 16th yards 6th pts

Tennessee Tiants: 27th yards 23rd pts
Jacksonville Jaguars: 32nd yards 32nd pts
Cleveland Browns: 30th yards 29th pts

While it makes me absolutely giddy to see such staggering improvements in our defensive rankings (sacks, yards allowed, pts given up and that #1 overall d), we should also put our current situation in a better perspective; if only so to prevent any overreacting if we are let down down this road.

The bolded teams are rosters we've played that are in the top half of the league in either yards gained or points scored. They say defensive wins championships, and that's because typically every team you meet in the playoffs has an adequate offense.

Out of those four bolded teams, the Houston Texans:

- finished with a 1-3 record
- allowed 26 pts/game (which would stand for 5th worst)
- gave up 357.5 yards/game (which would stand for 16th)
- had 3 of 4 games end in a difference of one score.

As you can see, there's a huge discrepancy between these four games, and the other four games played against those horrible offensive teams. But on the flip (and positive) side, we should also point out that we've played extremely well against those bad teams to even out as the #1 defense. When you also consider Andre Johnson's absence (which could have led to longer offensive drives), Tate and Foster hitting their stride (AF admitting last week was first time he's felt like himself all season) and the defensive unit finally settling into Wade's schemes, what would our defense look like if we got a rematch with those four teams?

Well the answer to that question can made clearer after the next four teams, whom all happen to be in the top half of the league in either yards or points.

Tampa Bay: 15th yards 24th pts
Atlanta: 14th yards 15th pts
Cincinnati: 22nd yards 13th pts
Carolina: 5th yards 16th pts

In a season that looks like this franchise will finally make the playoffs, I think the next four games will be a good indicator of what we can expect in the first round; especially considering the four bolded games ended in a difference of one score.
Typically when teams lose a game, its because they dont play up to where they are capable of. This is a perfect example of that. I think if we played these teams 10x in a row, the result would be very different.

Bad games by us plus good game by them equals losses.
Old 11-11-2011   #22
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

My fear with the D is getting in a shootout with a pass-happy offense and getting spread out. So far, out base set is absolutely dominating, and I think we match up well with pretty much every offense's 2 WR sets.

The problem, I think, will be when we get into situations like the Saints 4th quarter, where teams will spread us out, and we lose our biggest advantage (the blitzing flexibility of the 3-4). This is where I think we will really miss Mario and his ability to get to the QB or force double teams with a 4 man rush. Basically, we'll be relying on the likes of Barwin and Reed to get pressure and KJ and Allen to hold up in coverage, a potentially scary thought.

Having said all that, I'm extremely confident that this team RIGHT NOW would close out the Saints given the same situation (touchdown lead, possession, 10 minutes to play), in large part because of the running game.

What I'll be watching the for the rest of the season in how the D holds in games against Atlanta, Carolina and probably Cincinnati. Competent passing offenses with playmakers on the outside who can spread it out and throw it. If we can close out those teams when (or if) we have a 4th quarter lead, I doubt there's anything the Bills and Steelers of the world can throw at us that's any better (Packers in the SuperBowl might be a different story).
Old 11-11-2011   #23
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
My fear with the D is getting in a shootout with a pass-happy offense and getting spread out. So far, out base set is absolutely dominating, and I think we match up well with pretty much every offense's 2 WR sets.

The problem, I think, will be when we get into situations like the Saints 4th quarter, where teams will spread us out, and we lose our biggest advantage (the blitzing flexibility of the 3-4). This is where I think we will really miss Mario and his ability to get to the QB or force double teams with a 4 man rush. Basically, we'll be relying on the likes of Barwin and Reed to get pressure and KJ and Allen to hold up in coverage, a potentially scary thought.

Having said all that, I'm extremely confident that this team RIGHT NOW would close out the Saints given the same situation (touchdown lead, possession, 10 minutes to play), in large part because of the running game.
I don't believe this situ will be an issue. The white-haired Buddha will have them ready. The Saints did that too us early in the season. With 9 games of experience, I think we'll be more prepared. And with Fost-Tate running the ball as effectively as they are, we'll likely control time of possession and keep those offenses sitting on the sidelines.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
Wade wants to dictate what we do on defense from the sideline, he does not want the offense telling us what we are going to do.

In other words, just because they throw a lot of receivers on the field, doesn't mean we will not blitz them. The key, is to make it look like we're playing man, but change to zone-read concepts after the ball is snapped.

We did a lot of this against Jacksonville, they had 4 & 5 receivers out there a lot, but we still blitzed & got to Gabbert. I know it's just Jacksonville, but it was good practice & foreshadowing of things to come.
Old 11-11-2011   #25
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Spread offense makes corner blitz a threat.

Corner blitz/zone against spread offense means interceptions.

I n t e r c e p t i o n s = S u p e r b o w l . . .

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Tampa Bay already has 166 yards of offense...

34 yards to 200, seems like history won't be made today.
Old 11-13-2011   #27
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Tampa Bay already has 166 yards of offense...

34 yards to 200, seems like history won't be made today.
That's the problem when our O keeps scoring and the opponents O keeps trying to throw. We pick them off 3 times and sacked him 4 times....still, they throw the ball because they're so far behind.

Phillips needs to ask Foster to run around the field in circles for a while, LOL.

Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2011   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Our Defense gave up 231 yards to Tampa Bay.

Pittsburgh gave up 279 yards to Cincinnati.

Baltimore has already given up 200 yards to the SeaHawks.
Old 11-13-2011   #29
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that our defense is probably not as good as the stats show, but is still in the top 5. I think the Saints game was an aberration for several reasons, but now that we are 10 games into the season I'm much more confident that we can hang with (and beat) the big boys. The real threat for our defense is that they don't have to be on the field late in games because our offense is doing a great job controlling the clock.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011   #30
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Saints game wasn't even that big of a deal. We held them to 17 points through three and the only reason they put up that huge 4th was because our rushing attack was Tate and Steve "4 carries, 8 yards" Slaton. That means the TOP we've gotten so good at obliterating with Foster/Tate/Ward wasn't even there.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011   #31
HJam72
Hall of Fame

We're gonna look great when our D gives up 0 yds. next week!!!

Old 11-13-2011   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

The Ravens have already given up 255 yards to the Seahawks, we'll be the #1 defense this week & next
Old 11-13-2011   #33
BlueSteel
Veteran

Rep Power: 151 BlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respected

Our team is one reason their stats are so bad.

If we keep a teams stats down then obviously they will rank worse than if they did well against us. I am willing to give this D credit because I just hoped we would be a top 15 D and we are clearly doing that and more!!!
Old 11-13-2011   #34
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Today we saw a team that was a middle of the pack team in terms of yardage and typically struggle to score points.

We gave up 231 yards, which is pretty elite considering everything. The Buccs will be the easiest offense out of the four games I highlighted, and our defense rightfully imposed their will on them.

The next Jacksonville game, which I hope we don't overlook in anticipation of the Falcons, who will be the closest thing to the Saints offense we saw now that they've seemed to find themselves.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read