Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-08-2011   #1
Anthony713
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Anthony713 is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthony713 is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthony713 is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthony713 is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthony713 is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthony713 is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthony713 is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthony713 is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthony713 is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthony713 is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthony713 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Schaubs hourglass/future QB

I've had this topic brought up a few times in conversations with friends and wanted to see what y'all think. IMO ol' Schaubby boy is a good QB (even though he makes my blood boil sometimes with his bonehead decisions). I get goosebumps when you see that PA boot and Schaubs all alone winding up for the bomb. He's come through clutch for us quite a few times, led the league in passing, has a ridiculously high completion % for his career, and has been healthy. But heres the question, how long does Schaub have left, and when should we draft a QB to replace him? I feel like we shouldn't wait to long, sitting on the bench you do nothing but absorb things you see, hear, etc. So that when it's his time to start he's ready. I don't think T.J. is this guy, I haven't seen much of him so I might be wrong though. One thing I do know though, is that I'll enjoy another couple seasons of some Armed Schaubery.
Anthony713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaubs hourglass/future QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony713 View Post
I've had this topic brought up a few times in conversations with friends and wanted to see what y'all think. IMO ol' Schaubby boy is a good QB (even though he makes my blood boil sometimes with his bonehead decisions). I get goosebumps when you see that PA boot and Schaubs all alone winding up for the bomb. He's come through clutch for us quite a few times, led the league in passing, has a ridiculously high completion % for his career, and has been healthy. But heres the question, how long does Schaub have left, and when should we draft a QB to replace him? I feel like we shouldn't wait to long, sitting on the bench you do nothing but absorb things you see, hear, etc. So that when it's his time to start he's ready. I don't think T.J. is this guy, I haven't seen much of him so I might be wrong though. One thing I do know though, is that I'll enjoy another couple seasons of some Armed Schaubery.
When one falls in your lap? Most people thought the Packers should have taken a lineman or another position player since Favre was still playing well. Turns out the Pack was just a fwd thinking franchise that saw too much talent to pass on. I think we have a few years of Schaub before it becomes an issue. I agree that TJ isn't the guy most likely.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub's in his prime and has at least 5 good years left, maybe 10.

T.J. Yates could be the guy. He's a very talented QB that should be a great fit for this offense.

So, I'm not looking at drafting another QB for several years.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #4
NYCTexan
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 NYCTexan is a Hall of FamerNYCTexan is a Hall of FamerNYCTexan is a Hall of FamerNYCTexan is a Hall of FamerNYCTexan is a Hall of FamerNYCTexan is a Hall of FamerNYCTexan is a Hall of FamerNYCTexan is a Hall of FamerNYCTexan is a Hall of Famer

Interesting topic and one that has come up in the NYC area amongst the patrons.

I do not believe Schaub has 10 years left as the previous poster mentions. He is an accurate passer which leads me to believe he could play 5 years and play at a high level. Arm strength tends to lessen over the years but the feel, the touch, and the understanding of the offense will only gain in ability.

What I hope does improve for him is the feel of the pocket collapsing around him. He still doesn't have that internal clock to read and react and I feel that he doesn't make quick reads well. There are too many instances of him backing up and throwing off his back leg either to throw it away or to hit his check down. If he would stand in there and make an accurate through to a spot, his WR will either come up with or it will be incomplete.

But he is a top 5-8 QB in this league and will only gain from getting Andre Johnson back.

Speaking of which, where is the thread about adding a WR to be the apparent to Andre? He has been sidelined a bit too much in the last few years.
Old 11-08-2011   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTexan View Post
I do not believe Schaub has 10 years left as the previous poster mentions.
I actually said 5, maybe 10.
Old 11-08-2011   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is good for another 3 to 5 years depending on...well....things we can't predict. So, it's always a good idea to have a good #2 on your bench.

With or without toilet paper.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 267781 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Gary's always looking for the next great Texans QB. He's a former QB and OC wearing a HC hat so he's constantly sifting through the available prospects looking for something that everyone else overlooked. 5 years is a long time in the NFL. Nobody can see 5 years into the future in this league. Schaub is already an 8 year veteran. He's more likely to be retired in 5 years than throwing passes to Andre Johnson.

Sooner or later he's going to find the guy to take over for Matt. Yates might be him but it's too soon to tell.
Old 11-08-2011   #8
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 71958 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Schaub is good for another 3 to 5 years depending on...well....things we can't predict. So, it's always a good idea to have a good #2 on your bench.

With or without toilet paper.
I agree, but you should always have toilet paper.

I say 3 years. He turned 30 this year, 3 years puts him at 33. Father time cares not for who you are or what you do, he always gets his man. Manning only made it to 35.

I don't see us drafting one this year but we should take a hard look at drafting one in 2013.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post

I say 3 years. He turned 30 this year, 3 years puts him at 33. Father time cares not for who you are or what you do, he always gets his man. Manning only made it to 35.

I don't see us drafting one this year but we should take a hard look at drafting one in 2013.
Derek Carr, rSo, Fresno St.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #10
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He hasn't been beat up as much as someone who has started for that long though. I say 5 years left at the least. I understand where you are coming from with the whole father time doesn't care thing, but professional athletes take care of their bodies.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that the Texans are going to be in a position to start cherry picking in the draft . They can get a guy in the 20's like the good teams do who had no business dropping that far because their not worried as much about position . Having said that the 2012 draft might not be a great QB draft but the 2013 draft could be .

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...xpos&order=ASC

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't go QB hunting, but if one slipped in the draft and fell into our lap I'd take him.

At the very least we might be able to parlay that player into a nice draft pick.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #13
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 71958 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by XI CMURDER IX View Post
He hasn't been beat up as much as someone who has started for that long though. I say 5 years left at the least. I understand where you are coming from with the whole father time doesn't care thing, but professional athletes take care of their bodies.
The average NFL life is 3 years, which puts most players out of the league in their mid 20's.

Manning has one of the quickest releases in the game and doesn’t get hit nearly as much as the rest of his counterparts.

And, true, athletes take care of themselves but all the exercise and weight lifting still wears down and wear out your joints. Your body just natuarly breaks down, you can't stop that. It's a fact.

Old 11-08-2011   #14
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Old 11-08-2011   #15
Anthony713
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Anthony713 is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthony713 is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthony713 is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthony713 is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthony713 is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthony713 is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthony713 is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthony713 is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthony713 is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthony713 is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthony713 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh man, I really can't handle that much heartbreak again. Just the name makes me cringe.
Anthony713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Lots of QBs continue playing into their mid to late 30's and play at a high level. The QB position doesn't normally take the same amount of damage as most other positions and if you're a good QB, you can play a lot longer than a RB can.

Barring injury, Schaub could easily go into his late 30's/early 40's like a Moon or a Favre or an Elway (or a Tarkenton or a Montana or...) but I don't see how he doesn't get to the mid-30's. Like I said, though, barring injury.
Old 11-08-2011   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think that the Texans are going to be in a position to start cherry picking in the draft . They can get a guy in the 20's like the good teams do who had no business dropping that far because their not worried as much about position . Having said that the 2012 draft might not be a great QB draft but the 2013 draft could be .

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...xpos&order=ASC
The first 4 on that list will be drafted this next draft. Only Osweiler is interesting to me of the remainder.
Old 11-08-2011   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 346173 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He does look good in a football uniform... hehe
Old 11-08-2011   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The issue is he will be 32 going into a new contract wherever he signs. He will want a nice deal especially if he leads us deep into playoffs next two years. I predict he will get that deal from Houston and we will have Yates learning behind him. I would spend a 6th on Case Keenum.
Old 11-08-2011   #20
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we will ride schaub till the wheels fall off IMO thats what teams like 2 do IMO not have to worry about there QB and build around him
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read