Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-26-2005   #1
Dime
Hall of Fame

Default Please help me understand

I am trying to figure out why we are releasing players who have value and not getting picks out of them this year or next? Hell, give us a third at least for these folks.

Based on Comp picks.. Will they comp us next year for Sharper, Foreman and Glenn, or we just basically are hung out to dry with them?
Dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #2
cadahnic
All Pro

Ok I am gonna give you a little knowledge.

Glenn and Sharper will be comped and likely will each be 4th or 5th rounders respectively. We are releasing these guys without other teams giving us picks because other teams will not give us picks because they know the likelyhood we will release them anyway. Currently the Texans organization is becoming younger, faster, and hopefully more athletic, but in this process we will be parting with players that we have all come to know and like. Wong, Walker, and Coleman will soon be leaving also so you might want to prepare for it. We are a team that builds through the draft and with that type of organizational structure it means we will use free agnecy and trades to fill holes and the draft to make or break our team.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #3
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime
I am trying to figure out why we are releasing players who have value and not getting picks out of them this year or next? Hell, give us a third at least for these folks.

Based on Comp picks.. Will they comp us next year for Sharper, Foreman and Glenn, or we just basically are hung out to dry with them?
No comp picks for us.

Teams aren't trading for these guys because they have huge contracts. If we release then a team can sign them for chicken feed or "Sharper-feed." Whichever you like better.
Old 04-26-2005   #4
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
No comp picks for us.

Teams aren't trading for these guys because they have huge contracts. If we release then a team can sign them for chicken feed or "Sharper-feed." Whichever you like better.
How do you know that we get no Comp picks for them?
Old 04-26-2005   #5
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
How do you know that we get no Comp picks for them?
No comp picks for players you release!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2005   #6
Dime
Hall of Fame

Surprised I am we will only get 4th and 5th picks for them when they (being fair) would be at least a second for each. That is if WAGS is wrong. But if he is right, then how do people get comp picks.. based on what?
Old 04-26-2005   #7
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

The big three that we released were all old and had huge cap numbers and unless we wanted to end up like the Titans did this year, management had to take action. Foreman got paided a lot and never lived up to his contract. Sharper was not the playmaker that most of us thought that he was and had a knee problem. Glenn has had a few injuries and missed time the past couple of years. Management brought in younger faster players to offset the lost of these dudes and time will tell if they made the right choice.
Old 04-26-2005   #8
Dime
Hall of Fame

That I understand, but why would we release them then keep them on the roster and possible trade them. I mean, a 3rd, 4th, or even 5th round pick is better then nothing.
Old 04-26-2005   #9
wags
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime
That is if WAGS is wrong. But if he is right, then how do people get comp picks.. based on what?
When you draft players and their contract runs out, then you can make them a tender. If another team wants that player then you will get comp picks based on what kind of tender you gave to the player. As an example: If we tender Dom Davis next year, a team that wants him will have to give up maybe a first and third to get him.

Franchise and transition tag players also get you comp picks.
Old 04-26-2005   #10
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Dime,

here is a link to the explaination that I gave on another thread...

This is how I veiw the releases. http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...&postcount=155
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #11
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

The benefit of losing these players is cap space and younger players.

The Cost is dead cap money and we lose veteran leadship.

Did I sum this up good?
Old 04-26-2005   #12
wags
Hall of Fame

I think another way you get comp picks is by losing players in free agency. If you lose quality free agents and fail to bring in more free agents than you lose, you might be entitled to compensation from the league. Confusing isn't it.
Old 04-26-2005   #13
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

The comp picks work like this.

FA Players Signed - FA Players Lost = net FA effect

If the league determines that this "net FA effect" is negative, then they have a complex formula for determining how many complementary picks you receive. The picks given out will be at the end of the 3rd - 7th rounds. No team can receive more than 4 picks total. Some players you think are included, are not. Since it is a subjective system, the league guards the formula and value of given players like it is a government secret.

I didn't realize that cut players do not count as FA players lost. That hurts because I was thinking that Greenwood - Sharper - Glenn - Foreman would net us some picks.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #14
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I'm very okay with us releasing them. I was a huge sharper fan and will be even with him with the seahawks. However let's face it he's pushing 30 if not already there.

I think we need to be patient people. I realize that football in texas is religion. In the name of the father, the son, and the gridiron but please let's give them time. They are on a youth movement for the LONG-TERM. We still aren't ready for the playoffs and the players we released won't be as good by the time we are. I presume in two years we'll be competing for a slot.
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #15
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

ok, so someone explain why we released these players NOW, today, and not later in the year. WHY?

Why not hold on to them till training camp at least. If they want to be a holdout and NOT go to training camp, fine, sit at home. But why now? Why not after June 1 when you take less of a hit this year on dead salary cap money and some of it goes over into the following year? Or if we have the cap space to take the hit this year, why not May 31? Why release Veteran players you know are going to be signed somewhere else so early in the year that they can attend another teams entire offseason training program? Look at how close Sharper came to being a Jag player. Who is to say the the Colts won't pick up Glenn, cause they are in need of some good CB's there? Wouldn't it make more sense to hold these players as long as possible under contract and THEN let them go, since the net result will be exactly the same?
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 156418 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that the salary comes off 100% before June 1 and after june 1 we would have to absorb dead money next year. Don't quote me on that but I am checking it out.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #17
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 116441 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds right. Better to take the hit this year instead of next year.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #18
clandestin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I think that the salary comes off 100% before June 1 and after june 1 we would have to absorb dead money next year. Don't quote me on that but I am checking it out.
I'll quote you anyways, cause you've got it. Cuts prior to June 1st move all the remaining signing bonus on to the current years (2005) cap. When a player is cut after June 1st the remaining bonus money is divided in half. Half counts on the current year (2005), the other half counts on the next year's (2006's) cap. So we'll take the full hit from Sharper and Glenn on the 2005 cap, next year there will be no affect from their contract.
Old 04-26-2005   #19
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
you are absolutely correct. So tell me, what is the difference in cutting them on May 31st and taking the salary hit, and cutting them in April and taking the hit. NOTHING. The net result is the same.

So why did we cut them NOW instead of later? that is the question I simply am not understanding the answer to.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #20
wags
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
So why did we cut them NOW instead of later? that is the question I simply am not understanding the answer to.
Because it is a classy move to cut the players now so they can land with a team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read