Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-08-2011   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Dallas Cowboys and the Tony Romo Conundrum

Sort of an interesting take by Tiki Barber (admittedly not a Cowboy or Romo lover):

Quote:
Growing up in southwest Virginia, my football loyalties laid with the team that was closest in proximity to me, the Washington Redskins. Joe Gibbs was the best coach ever, the “Hogs” were mean, and Doug Williams was my hero in Super Bowl XXII. As you can imagine, though, spending my entire professional career with the New York Giants turned my blood blue and my loyalties changed. However, the one constant through all these years has been the same – my dislike for the Dallas Cowboys! They were the greatest rivalry in football with us during my impressionable years in the mid-80′s and 90′s and provided 20-plus heated intra-divisional sparrings with “Big D” during my playing days.

Although I’ve always rooted against the Cowboys, I’ve developed a slight fascination with their current starting quarterback, Tony Romo. Maybe it was because his first real game action as an NFL player came against my Giants in 2006. Our defense had just systematically dismantled, sacked and essentially ended Drew Bledsoe’s season and career, when Romo replaced him in the second half of our first meeting that year. Or maybe it’s because everything seems bigger or more hyped in Dallas, including the ascent of Tony Romo.

Up 24-points against Detroit, Tony Romo snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in Week 4

I’ve actually enjoyed watching Tony grow, and stumble, into a quarterback in this league. Some of the things that he does are amazing – the spot on throws, the resiliency after getting pounded, Jessica Simpson… Some of the things he does, though, are downright baffling. Week 4 with three INT’s including two pick sixes to lose to the Detroit Lions, the paparazzi vacations, Jessica Simpson…

In truth, I do think that he does have the makings of an elite signal-caller in the years to come, but, and this is a big but, he’s got to have play-calling help because if you put it in his hands too much, you’re dialing up disappointment.

There’s an old axiom in football that you need offensive balance to win football games. Too much passing (unless you’re Peyton Manning) and you risk turnovers, too much running and you can’t move the chains or score points. Too often over the last two years, Romo’s throw ratio has far exceeded the Cowboys’ run frequency, and it has proven itself in the “L” column.

This season, in three of the Cowboys’ four losses, Romo has thrown the ball on 63% or more of their offensive downs. In three of the Cowboys’ four wins this year, Romo has thrown the ball on less than 60% of their offensive downs. To the layman, that may not seem like a big deal because it only averages out to roughly two plays or so depending on the number of offensive snaps in the game. However, NFL games are literally decided by two or three plays a game, and in Dallas’ two biggest point differential wins this year, Romo has only thrown the ball 41% and 51% of the offensive plays.

BloombergWhat if just two of Romo’s passes against the Lions were running plays instead of those two pick sixes, especially since they were winning by 24 points before their lead started to collapse? Sounds crazy? Think about it for a moment, the concept is not so far-fetched.

No NFL coach has a prism that can tell him the exact ratio that will work to help his team win, but when I watch the Dallas Cowboys, whether it be with ire or admiration, I see a quarterback with a ton of upside potential. It’d be a shame to wipe out all of Tony Romo’s good qualities because when asked to do too much, he drops the ball…
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #2
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131013 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Dallas Cowboys and the Tony Romo Conundrum

I dislike his team, but honestly I've no real issues with Miss Romo. I think it's vugged up the way Dallas fans act as if the QB is a ONE MAN team to shoulder the burdens of how EVERYONE on that roster plays. They're not unique in that but the way Cowboy fans treat their QBs is horrific.
Staubach was a legend. When he retired Danny White took over. White was a great QB and his stats were better than Roger's but because he never got a Cowboy fans treated him like CRAP. Never mind the fact that his LINE wasn't that great it was all HIS fault and he had to live in the long, cold, shadow cast by Staubach. Aikman would have had to endure the same humiliation were it not for the fact that Minnesota made the biggest bonehead trade of all time and gave them effectively a whole god-damn team of 1st round draft picks for Hershel Walker.
That team won two superbowls (and were GIVEN a 3rd by the Steeler QB whose name shall NEVER be mentioned in the Nation). Romo isn't a bad QB, but isn't as great as some say he is. He CAN and has been playing in this league for a minute. The problem is Dallas' fans expectations of their team are too damned high and they need to cease putting the weight of the entire team on the shoulders of the guy in the pocket.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #3
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 33670 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
I dislike his team, but honestly I've no real issues with Miss Romo. I think it's vugged up the way Dallas fans act as if the QB is a ONE MAN team to shoulder the burdens of how EVERYONE on that roster plays. They're not unique in that but the way Cowboy fans treat their QBs is horrific.
Who has a problem with Miss Romo?

----

I'm not a Cowboys fan, but Romo's a tough dude. He played with broken ribs. No, he's not elite. But, Dread said it well, it's not ALL Romo's fault. Romo is an above-average QB, much like Matt Schaub.

Rex Grossman's Superbowl game proves that Romo is serviceable. If the other 10 players do their job, they do have a chance with Romo.
Old 11-08-2011   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I think their play calling sucks ... like really out of touch.
Old 11-09-2011   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191640 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post

---

I'm not a Cowboys fan, but Romo's a tough dude. He played with broken ribs. No, he's not elite. But, Dread said it well, it's not ALL Romo's fault. Romo is an above-average QB, much like Matt Schaub.

Rex Grossman's Superbowl game proves that Romo is serviceable. If the other 10 players do their job, they do have a chance with Romo.
I guess an elite team could win a superbowl with Romo at QB as long as they arent asking him to carry the load like this team is.

I dont think he's a top 10 QB ... probably not a top half QB , at least thats my opinion.

He's a tough son of a gun tho .... and he doesnt back down from the pressure of being the man nor does he back down from taking the heat for mistakes , his or someone elses. If I was a player I would respect the guy despite his faults.
Build a team around him and let him manage the game .... they'll get results.

I think the problem is that Jerrah expects immediate results rather than going thru the process of building a winning roster.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I think the problem is that Jerrah expects immediate results rather than going thru the process of building a winning roster.
I think the problem is that Jerrah has a fool for a GM......though, one that can lead Jerrah by the nose without worrying about getting fired.
Old 11-10-2011   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I put Romo in the same class as Matt Schaub. Good QBs who can look great in small sample. Neither are elite though, but that doesn't mean you can't win with them. Cowboys problems go beyond Tony Romo at QB.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-11-2011   #8
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I put Romo in the same class as Matt Schaub. Good QBs who can look great in small sample. Neither are elite though, but that doesn't mean you can't win with them. Cowboys problems go beyond Tony Romo at QB.
I have long said that promoting Jason Garrett to head coach was a massive mistake. He should have been fired along with Wade. I told my friends who are Cowboys fans that, and they were dismissive. They said that Garrett was the real deal. I think people are over-impressed with Garrett because he's young and apparently runs a tight ship, but, if you really look at their problems the last couple of years, it's been their offense, which Garrett has run.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #9
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I think the problem is that Jerrah has a fool for a GM......though, one that can lead Jerrah by the nose without worrying about getting fired.
Agree completely. The problems with the Cowboys can all be traced back to the top. JJ has taken over Al Davis spot as the village ***** of the NFL.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
What do you think about the Cowboys talent?
Old 11-11-2011   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
I think people are over-impressed with Garrett because he's young and apparently runs a tight ship, but, if you really look at their problems the last couple of years, it's been their offense, which Garrett has run.
In 2010 the Cowboys were ranked 7th in total offense.

In 2009 the Cowboys were ranked 2nd in total offense.

In 2008 the Cowboys were ranked 13th in total offense.

In 2007 the Cowboys were ranked 3rd in total offense.

In 2006 the Cowboys were ranked 5th in total offense.

I don't doubt the Cowboys have issues on offense, stats can be misleading. But you generally don't have poor offenses with this kind of production.
Old 11-11-2011   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
What do you think about the Cowboys talent?
Rather than speaking of their talent being somewhat suspect over the past few years, more importantly they have brought in players that have further lessened the already shaky "chemistry" and have been slow to let go those that should have had pink slips far earlier.........that was Jerry.
Old 11-11-2011   #13
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191640 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think his ego is the problem , no one can tell him he's wrong ..... which is why he has a Yes Man for a head coach .... I cant thank him enough for firing Wade.

If he wants that franchise to get back on top , he's going to have to get out of the way and let football guy's make the decisions rather than him having input - Its obvious he has no eye for "Football Talent". Thing is , he doesnt have those "Football Guy's" and none of them really want to work for him.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read