Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-25-2011   #21
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 225723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Vickers Excellent per Kubiak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Vickers may be a slightly better run blocker but as far as pass pro, Casey must really suck if he thinks Vickers is better.

Vickers has been missing blocks left & right, damn near getting Schaub killed.
I've seen Casey get smooth run over in pass protection and get stood up in the hole leading running plays. Vickers is the stronger blocker. Casey brings more options into play in the passing game since he's a much, much better receiver than stone hands Vickers.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011   #22
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I've seen Casey get smooth run over in pass protection and get stood up in the hole leading running plays. Vickers is the stronger blocker. Casey brings more options into play in the passing game since he's a much, much better receiver than stone hands Vickers.
That would a very accurate and concise presentation of how I see the two also.
MSR
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #23
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

HoustonTexans Houston Texans
Quote:
Texans OC Rick Dennison on FB Lawrence Vickers: "It's a different element for us...That will be a big plus for us (at the Bengals)."
53 minutes ago
Old 12-07-2011   #24
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 225723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
HoustonTexans Houston Texans
Does this mean Vickers is expected to be active this week?
[...he asked, hopefully]
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #25
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263877 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Having Vickers back would be a very big deal. I hope it happens.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #26
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 27237 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Man a couple of weeks back the guy was getting run out of town. Shows what good performances do you your rep!!
Old 12-07-2011   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 154760 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Man a couple of weeks back the guy was getting run out of town. Shows what good performances do you your rep!!
I think Kubiak said it took a bit for Vickers to figure out whom to block.
Old 12-07-2011   #28
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I don't recall that at all. I do recall people correctly stating he dropped a game winning ball.
Old 12-07-2011   #29
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I don't recall that at all. I do recall people correctly stating he dropped a game winning ball.
I might've a little, I guess? I was doing my raggin quite a while back, when we let Leach walk. I'd still rather have Tha Beast, but Vickers was beginning to come around before injury.
Old 12-07-2011   #30
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

You don't take a Prius out to the race track and then try to race it, you will be disapointed. A prius is not built to be a sportscar. It is a low horsepower high mpg car. If you use it for the purpose it was built, you will be happy.

Likewise, Vickers is not a pass catcher. He is a bulldozing hole creator. Use him for the proper purpose and you will be happy. Just like I don't blame the prius at the racetrack, I don't blame Vickers missing the catch. Neither are built for that purpose. I blame Kubes/the owner for trying to outtrick/outthink everyone.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #31
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
You don't take a Prius out to the race track and then try to race it, you will be disapointed. A prius is not built to be a sportscar. It is a low horsepower high mpg car. If you use it for the purpose it was built, you will be happy.
One of the most successful race cars around was the '80's Honda CRX - designed to be a low horsepower, high mpg car. One of the best longevity motors for which entire racing series were developed (Formula Ford & Sport 2000) was the 2000cc in-line 4 cylinder from the Ford Pinto.

Quote:
Likewise, Vickers is not a pass catcher. He is a bulldozing hole creator. Use him for the proper purpose and you will be happy. Just like I don't blame the prius at the racetrack, I don't blame Vickers missing the catch. Neither are built for that purpose. I blame Kubes/the owner for trying to outtrick/outthink everyone.
Sorry but BS. Leach was even more of a bulldozer and caught balls. Vickers not being used to catch by Cleveland means jack. In college he caught 70 passes. In highschool he had 72 receptions in two years (he was the starting QB his first two years) 24 of which were for TD's.

Plus, it isn't like they just rolled him out there with no practice. Passing to the FB has always been part of Kubiak's system. He flubbed a well designed play that had him undefended in space. He has done an excellent job overall but he botched that play.

Last edited by infantrycak; 12-07-2011 at 03:40 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #32
clutch
Rookie

Rep Power: 960 clutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respected

this is great news..maybe now our run game can get going..
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #33
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Not sure if serious....
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #34
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

The running game isn't suffering, but I do think Vickers helps make good runs great by getting to the second level and knocking guys off the line to help Foster and Tate get that extra yardage.

Still remember that big drop he had that was easily a first down though.
Old 12-07-2011   #35
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
One of the most successful race cars around was the '80's Honda CRX - designed to be a low horsepower, high mpg car. One of the best longevity motors for which entire racing series were developed (Formula Ford & Sport 2000) was the 2000cc in-line 4 cylinder from the Ford Pinto.

Sorry but BS. Leach was even more of a bulldozer and caught balls. Vickers not being used to catch by Cleveland means jack. In college he caught 70 passes. In highschool he had 72 receptions in two years (he was the starting QB his first two years) 24 of which were for TD's.

Plus, it isn't like they just rolled him out there with no practice. Passing to the FB has always been part of Kubiak's system. He flubbed a well designed play that had him undefended in space. He has done an excellent job overall but he botched that play.
I posted something similar when we let Leach go and brought Vickers in. I hope that Kubiak does not let that one "botched" play define Vickers' receiving abilities as a Texan. A sample of ONE is no sample at all. I say, let him get his feet wet a couple more times before introducing him in the EZ....or into the recycle bin.
Old 12-07-2011   #36
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1228 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

So does this mean "excellent" as he can catch now or "excellent" as just blocking???
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #37
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsiwan View Post
does this mean vickers is expected to be active this week?
[...he asked, hopefully]
houstontexans.com
Quote:
fullback lawrence vickers (hamstring) did practice and is on track to play after a two-game absence. Kubiak called vickers’ return “huge” for the texans’ running game, which utilized vickers as a lead blocker in two-back sets.
Old 12-07-2011   #38
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad we have Vickers back. He did drop that pass (which actually would have not been game winning, but would be pulled the game to within 2 since we were down by 8 at the time), but he's recovered nicely and the more healthy bodies we have on offense right now the better.

Casey made a hell of a block though on Arian's touchdown in the 4th quarter. That may have been the best block I've seen from him all year. I think you'll see Casey used more in his H-back role this week since he has the capability to cause matchup problems with AJ out.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #39
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 54152 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Not sure if serious....
I wasn't sure either when I read it.

Atlanta was #2 against the run, allowing 83 yards a game. We ran for 162.
Old 12-07-2011   #40
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think I just got served!

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read