Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-08-2011   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Vickers Excellent per Kubiak!

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/a...-s-2257488.php

Fullback Lawrence Vickers is taking advantage of James Casey's pectoral injury by clearing paths for a running game that set a team record with 261 yards rushing against the Browns.

"Lawrence has come in, and boy, has he played well," coach Gary Kubiak said. "That's the third week he's started, and that's the best he's played. You guys see how we've run the ball here lately, so you've got to give him a lot of credit along with our guys up front.

"Lawrence has taken to what we're trying to teach and do. We ask our fullback to do a lot in our offense, and it takes some time, and he's really starting to take to it. He's playing very well."
Old 11-08-2011   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Vickers Excellent per Kubiak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/a...-s-2257488.php

Fullback Lawrence Vickers is taking advantage of James Casey's pectoral injury by clearing paths for a running game that set a team record with 261 yards rushing against the Browns.

"Lawrence has come in, and boy, has he played well," coach Gary Kubiak said. "That's the third week he's started, and that's the best he's played. You guys see how we've run the ball here lately, so you've got to give him a lot of credit along with our guys up front.

"Lawrence has taken to what we're trying to teach and do. We ask our fullback to do a lot in our offense, and it takes some time, and he's really starting to take to it. He's playing very well."
Was waiting for this...

Vickers was excellent this past Sunday and he has been good since he's started...

I saw Casey out there a few times as a TE though...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I agree, he had a very good game. I don't know if I would say excellent, but very good none the less.
Old 11-08-2011   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I agree, he had a very good game. I don't know if I would say excellent, but very good none the less.
This was my thought. maybe he needed time to "settle in". Whatever as long as he does what he is supposed to.
Old 11-08-2011   #5
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll give him his due. I mean, it's not like he's out there on every run but he's doing his job.

And they figured out they can't throw to him, so that's a plus.

Casey looks hurt, tentative. I think it might be time to sit him back down, he's not doing himself or the team a bit of good playing hurt.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

A guy drops ONE pass and people start going off about how he ought to be cut. And that guy is not even a WR, LOL. Meanwhile, we've had a WR that drop several passes, go on fumble streaks, and generally play like a bonehead, and people defend him.

Vickers is good in his role. Frankly, he may be just as good as any FB in that role. At least, I don't find it inconceivable that Foster could have put up his numbers last year with Vickers instead of Leach.

Casey is the guy we need to return.
Old 11-08-2011   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I'll give him his due. I mean, it's not like he's out there on every run but he's doing his job.

Casey looks hurt, tentative. I think it might be time to sit him back down, he's not doing himself or the team a bit of good playing hurt.
I said last week that with his pec injury, he should not be put in there as a blocking back if he is allowed to return......more in a position that minimizes push away against solid resistance moves that would be required in the FB position. They were smart at least by placing him sparingly in there with light TE duties only.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-08-2011   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
A guy drops ONE pass and people start going off about how he ought to be cut. And that guy is not even a WR, LOL. Meanwhile, we've had a WR that drop several passes, go on fumble streaks, and generally play like a bonehead, and people defend him.

Vickers is good in his role. Frankly, he may be just as good as any FB in that role. At least, I don't find it inconceivable that Foster could have put up his numbers last year with Vickers instead of Leach.

Casey gives us versatility and "a new dimension." But Vickers can "blow up" people like Casey really can't. Learning to utilize each player in the "correct" situations in each game, and correctly choosing the weight of their use against certain teams' particular deficiencies, is the key to taking advantage of having two strong players in their own right.
Old 11-08-2011   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Casey gives us versatility and "a new dimension." But Vickers can "blow up" people like Casey really can't. Learning to utilize each player in the "correct" situations in each game, and correctly choosing the weight of their use against certain teams' particular deficiencies, is the key to taking advantage of having two strong players in their own right.
I think Vickers is a better blocker than Casey, but I don't think Casey sucks as a blocker...IMHO, Vickers is a better overall blocker than Leach from what I have seen...

Vonta is more physical, but vickers puts a body on his guy and usually makes it difficult for them to get it to the RB...I love his chop blocks...I've always liked FBs that chop away from the grain of the play because it creates a mini barrier that other players flowing towards the play have to try to avoid...

I agree and I thought they should have been platooned from the start...Maybe Vickers wasn't entirely comfortable with the plays...But now that he appears to have a good grasp on things I'd like to see them mixed up a bit....
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #10
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I was gonna say the same thing.
Old 11-08-2011   #11
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Big improvement for Vickers over last couple of weeks.

He looked lost earlier in the year/preseason.
Old 11-08-2011   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51302 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't argue with the results. This is a "what have you done for me lately" kind of league and I've seen a few Leach-style blocks out of Vickers.
Old 11-08-2011   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that Vickers' problem so far has been reading the zone blocks and figuring out who to hit. He's starting to get it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

Casey adds a whole new dimension to the position .... they can do so many things with him on the field it makes it difficult for defenses to defend everyone.

Vickers has blocked well ... but he's not the game changer that Casey is .... not many FB's are game changers.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Found this interesting quote on this week's ESPN injury report.

Quote:
James Casey, FB Probable Nov 24
Comment: Texans head coach Gary Kubiak said Casey would not be the team's starting fullback if both he and Lawrence Vickers were healthy, the Texans' official site reports.

Lawrence Vickers, FB Questionable Nov 24
Comment: Texans head coach Gary Kubiak said Vickers (hamstring) has a chance to play this weekend, but it will be end of the week before the coach will make a decision as to his status for the game against Jacksonville, the Texans' official site reports.
Old 11-25-2011   #16
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Found this interesting quote on this week's ESPN injury report.
They must not like what Casey brings to the table as a blocker
Old 11-25-2011   #17
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
They must not like what Casey brings to the table as a blocker
Vickers is the better blocker and with Leinart starting at QB the running game is that much more important , Casey will get his reps and opportunities because of his big play ability , the mismatches he forces and versatility.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Vickers is the better blocker and with Leinart starting at QB the running game is that much more important , Casey will get his reps and opportunities because of his big play ability , the mismatches he forces and versatility.
Vickers may be a slightly better run blocker but as far as pass pro, Casey must really suck if he thinks Vickers is better.

Vickers has been missing blocks left & right, damn near getting Schaub killed.
Old 11-25-2011   #19
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Surprising.

Makes you think it's gonna be run, run, run.
Old 11-25-2011   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Who knows? There are so many games being played with the injury reports. Vickers could very well be unlikely to play at all and Kubiak is trying to force the Jags to prepare for both.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read