Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-07-2011   #1
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Early thoughts on the Tampy Bay game?

I know most people have thought that this game would be one of the toughest in the 2nd half of our schedule, but I honestly think this game sets up perfect for us to control the ball and come out with a comfortable win. They're banged up, and almost gave up 200 yards rushing to the Saints so we can definitely run the ball on them. We'll also be playing against our old buddy Frank Okam who will most likely be starting in Gerald McCoy's place. OD and Dreesen can also have big days this week for us. If we take care of the ball we will win the game. Any thoughts?
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Early thoughts on the Tampy Bay game?

Tampa is tougher at home but I don't think they match up well vs us. They don't have a great edge rush, their push up the middle isn't impressive. That isn't even the bad news....their rush defense is awful. Frank Okam won't know what hit him (he was out last week vs Saints).

Josh Freeman has been very very unimpressive this year too. So has their wide outs and Winslow is having a snoozer of a year as well. I don't like the creativity of their offensive scheme....I think they will buckle under pressure this weekend. I don't see the Texans losing this one.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #3
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Tampa is tougher at home but I don't think they match up well vs us. They don't have a great edge rush, their push up the middle isn't impressive. That isn't even the bad news....their rush defense is awful. Frank Okam won't know what hit him (he was out last week vs Saints).

Josh Freeman has been very very unimpressive this year too. So has their wide outs and Winslow is having a snoozer of a year as well. I don't like the creativity of their offensive scheme....I think they will buckle under pressure this weekend. I don't see the Texans losing this one.
It looks like we see this game pretty similarly. We're dealing with a young team that's starting to lose confidence in itself so we need to jump on them early. If we get up by a score or 2 then I can see them throwing up all over themselves.

They do have 2 good young wideouts so we need to make sure we keep them in check.
I'm shocked that Mike Williams has performed as poorly as he has this year. I'm sure it'll be easy to make excuses for them, but the lockout may have really hurt these guys. I know Freeman organized some team workouts, but I can see how young guys could not take the offseason seriously and not stay on top of their game.
Old 11-07-2011   #4
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
It looks like we see this game pretty similarly. We're dealing with a young team that's starting to lose confidence in itself so we need to jump on them early. If we get up by a score or 2 then I can see them throwing up all over themselves.

They do have 2 good young wideouts so we need to make sure we keep them in check.
I'm shocked that Mike Williams has performed as poorly as he has this year. I'm sure it'll be easy to make excuses for them, but the lockout may have really hurt these guys. I know Freeman organized some team workouts, but I can see how young guys could not take the offseason seriously and not stay on top of their game.
If our D can put #5 on his backside early and often like they're capable of this will be another fun game to watch.

If it's in your area, of coarse.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #5
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

This team is similar to the one we fielded during our 8-8 seasons under Kubiak. Not a whole lot of veteran leadership and a young coaching staff as well. They are talented, but we are the more mature team, which should make the difference in the 4th quarter.
Old 11-07-2011   #6
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
If our D can put #5 on his backside early and often like they're capable of this will be another fun game to watch.

If it's in your area, of coarse.
I hope we get Marv Albert calling the game again. It sounds weird having him do play-by-play for football but its still pretty cool in my opinion.
Old 11-07-2011   #7
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Ahh. My team in the non-Houston football years.

The Bucs are really good at coming back in games. Even if you jump on them, they'll keep playing. Rahiem Morris keeps them going for 60 minutes. Spotty run D, for sure. However, they are very good at getting that key stop that might just keep them around in games where they may trail.

This game is EXTREMELY huge for them. After GB in week 11, they get JAX, TEN, and CAR. 3 winnable games. They get to 5-5, they could very well be 8-5 with 3 games left.

Looking at their defense, they are having MAJOR issues with not only the run, but shockingly, the pass as well. They are at the bottom of the league in both. That said, they seem to play better D at home. The road defense is atrocious. At home, they seem to play better. (NO put up 190+ on the ground at the dome, under 80 in Tampa)

Freeman's putting up more yards, but making more mistakes than he's accustomed to. Bottle up Blount, and like it was said in this thread, jump on them early. However, bury them. They've had games where they trailed big and came back to either win, or lose close but scare you.
Old 11-07-2011   #8
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hope we get Marv Albert calling the game again. It sounds weird having him do play-by-play for football but its still pretty cool in my opinion.
Actually, funny enough, we WILL have Marv Albert doing the game this week.
Old 11-07-2011   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Williams looks very slow this season compared to last year. No long speed, no real quickness either...perhaps he coasted all offseason and lost a little of his edge like Chris Johnson obviously did.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This. Jacksonville after the bye will be a much tougher test IMO. Tampa Bay is a must win but it's not the kind of must win that a team gets all twisted up inside over. I think the Texans just go there, play their game on offense and defense, and come out with a win.
Old 11-07-2011   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Houston Texans expected to attack Tampa Bay Buccaneers' porous run defense

TAMPA As huge a hole as DT Gerald McCoy's season-ending biceps injury creates, the Bucs already had problems stopping the run for most of this season.

Tampa Bay allowed 195 rushing yards in Sunday's loss, when coach Raheem Morris said his defensive front was "flat-out out-physicalled" by the Saints. The Bucs, who rank 26th in run defense (132.4 yards), won't have it any easier Sunday, when the Texans' second-ranked rushing attack comes to town.

Houston RBs Arian Foster and Ben Tate each ran for more than 100 yards in Sunday's rout of the Browns and are among the NFL's top 10 rushers. The AFC South-leading Texans, who average 155.1 yards rushing, have won three straight.

"I think they're coming in hot," DT Frank Okam said. "Arian and Ben Tate have been a dynamic duo back there. They're playing (with) one of the top offensive lines in the league as a unit right now. It's definitely going to be a challenge."

S Tanard Jackson
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/footb...efense/1200474
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #12
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
This. Jacksonville after the bye will be a much tougher test IMO. Tampa Bay is a must win but it's not the kind of must win that a team gets all twisted up inside over. I think the Texans just go there, play their game on offense and defense, and come out with a win.
Sounds like this isn't really a "must win game"... but rather a "must play well game"!!!
Old 11-07-2011   #13
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Houston's favored by 3 in this one.

I can still hardly believe the good guys are sitting at 6-3. I can't imagine how 7-3 might feel.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #14
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Sounds like this isn't really a "must win game"... but rather a "must play well game"!!!
Quit yer bishin.. you're getting laid this year
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

We need to pound them with our RBs, Walter and the TEs. Once each half, Matt should play action and catch them asleep. 23-10.
Old 11-07-2011   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 111168 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I said this last night.... This Tampa game is the type of game that this team has laid an egg in, in the past. We'll see what they are "really" made of. It won't have to be a lopsided win, but a win. I don't care if it's ugly or not.

To me, it's a big difference to be 7-3 v. 6-4 going into the bye week...
Old 11-07-2011   #17
ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I said this last night.... This Tampa game is the type of game that this team has laid an egg in, in the past. We'll see what they are "really" made of. It won't have to be a lopsided win, but a win. I don't care if it's ugly or not.

Agreed. Difference between 8 or 9-3, as well.
Old 11-07-2011   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, like all Texans games, this one worries me.

I'm not so much worried about the Buccs as I am worried about us. The only way we lose is if we beat ourselves. We're moving into territory new for this club.

We need to come out and pound the ball on offense. And on defense, we're going to get a bigger test than we've gotten in the past 3 weeks.

Let's see how far this defense has progressed.

30-20, Texans.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #19
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

Absolutely right.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He is probably returning out of necessity. He has had a significant calf injury. Bringing some back too early after a calf injury increases the possibility of an Achilles rupture, especially in a huge lineman who requires powerful pushoff. I'm certainly not wishing this on him. But I tend to doubt that he returns this week at full strength.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read