Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-07-2011   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Competition!!!

Tate vs Foster
Jones vs Walter
Daniels vs Dressen
Sharpton vs Demeco
Jackson vs Allen
Nolan vs Manning
Jamison vs Smith
Reed/Barwin vs Williams
Mitchel vs Cody

Why does this team keep answering the bell? Why do they not miss a beat when they experience injury after injury after injury? Why is that next man "ready" to go? (with the exception of Shilo Keo who we went out & found a replacement for)...

I think it's competition. The same thing that made Cushing DROY (twice).... he's always had healthy competition with Demeco & they've both been among our best players.

Now Tate & Foster has their thing going.

What if that competition is all over our roster? What if that is the difference between these Texans & last year's Texans?

We're not starting rookies that haven't earned it. I mean Cushing & Demeco started as well as any rookie I've ever seen, but that doesn't happen all the time, to come in & make an impact at MLB, or the kind of impact Brian has had.

Competition.
Old 11-07-2011   #2
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Competition!!!

Yep. You are 100000 percent correct and I agree on all counts.

I'm tired of hearing people whine "Where's Brandon Harris? He's a second round pick! He should play!"

Um, no. If he's not ready to play, he's not ready to play. Period.

We are so used to tossing rookies into the fire that we automatically default into expecting it.

Nope. Let rookies earn it.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #3
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 9340 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Tate vs Foster
Jones vs Walter
Daniels vs Dressen
Sharpton vs Demeco
Jackson vs Allen
Nolan vs Manning
Jamison vs Smith
Reed/Barwin vs Williams
Mitchel vs Cody

Why does this team keep answering the bell? Why do they not miss a beat when they experience injury after injury after injury? Why is that next man "ready" to go? (with the exception of Shilo Keo who we went out & found a replacement for)...

I think it's competition. The same thing that made Cushing DROY (twice).... he's always had healthy competition with Demeco & they've both been among our best players.

Now Tate & Foster has their thing going.

What if that's competition is all over our roster? What if that is the difference between these Texans & last year's Texans?

We're not starting rookies that haven't earned it. I mean Cushing & Demeco started as well as any rookie I've ever seen, but that doesn't happen all the time, to come in & make an impact at MLB, or the kind of impact Brian has had.

Competition.
Say what you will about Gary, but IIRC, that was the main tenet he pushed when he took over.
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #4
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

If only there were someone breathing down Schaub's neck
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #5
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 9340 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I'd say that during Schaub's tenure he's had people breathing down his neck just about every season...too bad they played for the other team.

House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Eric Winston on playing without Andre Johnson and the Houston's depth
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

After all, Schaub is "fragile", no?
Old 11-07-2011   #8
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick Smith,
Old 11-08-2011   #9
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Competition.
Great post!

Tried to rep you, but...

"Must spread rep....blah, blah, blah."
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #10
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

And thats just it.... Replacing Schaub one day is going to be alot harder than people think.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #11
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
And thats just it.... Replacing Schaub one day is going to be alot harder than people think.
No it won't. You tank a season like Indy is doing this year and get the #1 draft pick.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Maybe. Seems like some teams struggle with that while others bounce back fairly quickly.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #13
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Maybe. Seems like some teams struggle with that while others bounce back fairly quickly.
It depends on who you replace him with.

Personally I'm happy with him. I would say that all but 5 or 6 teams would be at least as happy with him as they are their current Quarterback. For all of the knocks he has against him he has been pretty successful at delivering the ball.

There are two questions to ask. What has Schaub been and what will he be from here on out?

I think he has been a well above average. You cannot possibly be in the top 5-10 every year in all of the categories he is without being in at least the top 10 QBs of the league. Check here. He's been better than y'all give him credit for. He has always played on a team that had a huge hole in it. Sometimes it was the running game, sometimes it was the defense. This is his most complete team yet. He's not a Peyton Manning, to be sure, but there is no reason he can't be a Warren Moon. With a defense like we have right now and adding a true #2 wideout there is no reason this team cannot compete for several division/conference/SB titles over the next few years.

Here's a question, and my prediction all rolled into one neat little paragraph:

I wonder how Schaub will be judged in 4 years when the texans have won 42+ games over a 4 year period. Will he suddenly be Montana? No, he will be exactly what this team needs. He will have been a very good quarterback that is about 8th best in the league. He won't have been able to carry a team on his back but he will have helped load the team on AJ/Foster/Tates back. He will be more than a manager, throwing for 3500 - 4500 yards/yr and keeping his interception totals down. He may never throw more than 30 TDs in a year but as long as he keeps his INT numbers under 15 we will win a lot of games with him.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
He has always played on a team that had a huge hole in it. Sometimes it was the running game, sometimes it was the defense. This is his most complete team yet.
Mike
This, I think, is the most mind boggling part of the whole thing. He's played at a much higher level when we didn't have a running game, a dependable OL, or a half decent defense.

Now we're just blowing up at RB, OL, defense, & he's not playing at that same level.

I understand Andre is gone & we won three games in a row, but it appears his sense of urgency is non-existent if we're not down by two scores.

Every third down (at least) should be a "must win" situation. I don't want him to throw an INT or anything, but I'd like to know he did everything he could to safely pick up that third & I'm not getting that "feeling" from him. It's like if he leaves the pocket, he's throwing it out of bounds.

That's a criticism I had of him prior to the 2009 season. 2009 & 2010 it seemed like he took a step & was playing with that urgency & he was making plays from the QB position. Now, not so much. If it isn't there, he's not going to make it happen.
Old 11-08-2011   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It depends on who you replace him with.
Personally I'm happy with him. I would say that all but 5 or 6 teams would be at least as happy with him as they are their current Quarterback.
That was an interesting comment and it peaked my interest. So I thought of every team in the league and made a list (IMO) of who would be ok with a straight swap for their QB...

Definitely would want to swap:

Miami
Seattle
Redskins
Broncos
Titans
Kansas City
Cardinals

Would maybe want to swap:

Jacksonville (rookie, may get better)
Browns (Colt would look a lot better in our system with our talent)
Oakland
New York Jets
San Fran

Teams that would not be ok with a swap:

Indy
St. Louis
Panthers
Eagles
Tampa
San Diego
Dallas
Chicago
New England
Buffalo
Atlanta
Pittsburgh
New Orleans
Giants
Detroit
Cincy
Baltimore
Green Bay

Ok...So this is all my opinion and I realize that some others would move teams around, but based on my thoughts I'd say that your statement isn't entirely accurate.

I'm not saying that the guys who wouldn't swap or maybe would swap are playing better than Schaub, what I'm saying is that if I take into account the offensive systems, the talent around them, the age of the QB, the physical abilities ect....A lot of these teams, IMO, would not be immediately open to a straight up QB swap....
Old 11-08-2011   #16
BlueSteel
Veteran

Rep Power: 151 BlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Prior to the Rosencopter the fans created plenty if QB competition! I hope we get a young talented QB soon that we can groom, I wouldn't mind if Leinart stepped into that role, but I am not holding my breath for him or Yates.
Old 11-08-2011   #17
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This, I think, is the most mind boggling part of the whole thing. He's played at a much higher level when we didn't have a running game, a dependable OL, or a half decent defense.

Now we're just blowing up at RB, OL, defense, & he's not playing at that same level.

I understand Andre is gone & we won three games in a row, but it appears his sense of urgency is non-existent if we're not down by two scores.

Every third down (at least) should be a "must win" situation. I don't want him to throw an INT or anything, but I'd like to know he did everything he could to safely pick up that third & I'm not getting that "feeling" from him. It's like if he leaves the pocket, he's throwing it out of bounds.

That's a criticism I had of him prior to the 2009 season. 2009 & 2010 it seemed like he took a step & was playing with that urgency & he was making plays from the QB position. Now, not so much. If it isn't there, he's not going to make it happen.
Schaub is a rhythm passer. He needs to throw a lot to get into the "zone" and really light people up.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #18
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That was an interesting comment and it peaked my interest. So I thought of every team in the league and made a list (IMO) of who would be ok with a straight swap for their QB...

Definitely would want to swap:

Miami
Seattle
Redskins
Broncos
Titans
Kansas City
Cardinals

Would maybe want to swap:

Jacksonville (rookie, may get better)
Browns (Colt would look a lot better in our system with our talent)
Oakland
New York Jets
San Fran

Teams that would not be ok with a swap:

Indy
St. Louis
Panthers
Eagles
Tampa
San Diego
Dallas
Chicago
New England
Buffalo
Atlanta
Pittsburgh
New Orleans
Giants
Detroit
Cincy
Baltimore
Green Bay

Ok...So this is all my opinion and I realize that some others would move teams around, but based on my thoughts I'd say that your statement isn't entirely accurate.

I'm not saying that the guys who wouldn't swap or maybe would swap are playing better than Schaub, what I'm saying is that if I take into account the offensive systems, the talent around them, the age of the QB, the physical abilities ect....A lot of these teams, IMO, would not be immediately open to a straight up QB swap....
GB
NO
NE

are the only teams in the league that would not at least consider a change for their QB play right now. Schaub is without his biggest weapon in the passing game and is spreading the ball around. He isn't turning the ball over much, he is 6th in first downs and 4th in 20+ completions. He stands in and delivers the ball when there is pressure and does enough to move the launching point when needed.

I know that he hasn't been as accurate this year but he is without his biggest weapon and that makes everything go. If you were to take weapons away from the top 10 QBs in the league (esp maybe a top 3 weapon in the game) then you're going to lose productivity.

IMO he's still a top 10 QB.

Mike

Phily and Car, ok because of mobility issues. Who is really getting better

Old 11-08-2011   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
GB
NO
NE

are the only teams in the league that would not at least consider a change for their QB play right now
We can agree to disagree on that.

I can't see that many GM's open to the possibility of trading Schaub straight up for their guy. I don't see Schaub being as successful in some other systems and I think that a lot of QB's that are not performing as well as Shammy would come here and perform better than they have in their current situation...
Old 11-08-2011   #20
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
We can agree to disagree on that.

I can't see that many GM's open to the possibility of trading Schaub straight up for their guy. I don't see Schaub being as successful in some other systems and I think that a lot of QB's that are not performing as well as Shammy would come here and perform better than they have in their current situation...
I'm not saying that we could trade schub to 27 teams. I'm saying that Schaub's productivity/efficiency is comperable with most in the league. Of course everyone has pluses and minuses but how many qb's can you point to that are clearly producing better on their current team than Schaub? There are a few more teams now that I think about it but that list is not very long at all.

Mike

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read