Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-26-2005   #21
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

that made no sense

i'm all for giving the guy a 2nd chance. i bet he learned his lesson in oakland, and now maybe he knows what it takes. besides, if he doesnt shape up, he wont earn much more than he's already making on his next contract
Old 04-26-2005   #22
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88
Let me put an end to this right now.

Glenn didnt show up on friday to workouts and told a teammate that he didnt think that glenn fit the mold of a Texan. He basically made the blunt statement Buchannon wouldn't fit into the team first concept.

Hey 88 I'm just curious how you have so much "inside" information?? Who do you know thats on the team or works for the team? I'm just curious and not trying to call you out. You can send me a PM if you don't want to post it.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #23
Boris
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 Boris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVP

BradK10:

i missed Glenn's interview w/Mark & Rich but i caught their re-cap of what was said. An item mentioned was that Petey (Faggens) is a quality nickel & there was the thought that competition for the 3rd CB spot was going to be a tough one. Additionally, they said Faggens could start for a lot of teams...... sounded like (to me) Aarron was in agreement w/those statements.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #24
TMac48
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TMac48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10
I think someone else in another thread also put it best, that the elite athletes are usually the last ones to realize their skills are fading. Much like a Craig Biggio.
Sorry to argue about baseball on a football thread but you make it sound like Biggio is not producing. Im sorry, I can't sit back and let Craig be critisized. The fact is, Biggio is the only Astro that can get a hit right now.

Craig Biggio:
AB - 70,
H - 22
2B - 8,
HR - 2
RBI - 8
OBP - .337
SLG - .514
BT AVG - .314

I think Bagwell was the one you meant to critisize. Yes, Bagwell is the one who's skills are fading.
TMac48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #25
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88
Let me put an end to this right now.

Glenn didnt show up on friday to workouts and told a teammate that he didnt think that glenn fit the mold of a Texan. He basically made the blunt statement Buchannon wouldn't fit into the team first concept.
where is the link? or are you just making stuff up?
Old 04-26-2005   #26
BradK10
Hall of Fame

I knew someone would come out and say that. I know Biggio is hitting well, but he's also the type of guy we can't keep extending and picking options up for every year at 4 million per especially when we've got younger cheaper guys ready to step up. Yes, Bagwell is fading more, but that's the problem with baseball...it's guaranteed money.

Point taken, and even though I knew it when I said it, the reason I used Biggio as an example is because we've kept extending him and picking up options. Bagwell's just got a horrendous contract.
Old 04-26-2005   #27
BradK10
Hall of Fame

And Jason Lane's been picking up plenty o'hits as well.
Old 04-26-2005   #28
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278082 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, with all the changes, I can see this team 10-6 or 6-10. Sometimes these things work out, and other times they blow up in your face.

Of course, I'm hoping for success, but I will also brace myself that this defensive unit might take some time to gel.

I could have sworn that Casserly was talking last week that we needed another high caliber CB (during a news conference over signing PB), especially since we play nickelback almost 50% of the time!
Old 04-26-2005   #29
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

O when will Berkman come back
Most Improved- Juwan Howard
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #30
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

Also how can you be disappointed in Glenn? Did he hold the front office at gunpoint and make them say "you can negotiate with other teams?" Did he hold them at gunpoint and make them release him? Did he ever once personally come out live and voiced his displeasure? I bet alot of these things are not true, Glenn is too classy for that. If he did say that he didn't belong here any longer, he probably just wanted the best for all the other young cb's and for himself.
Most Improved- Juwan Howard
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #31
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
I could have sworn that Casserly was talking last week that we needed another high caliber CB (during a news conference over signing PB), especially since we play nickelback almost 50% of the time!
Yup...and we kept hearing that you couldn't have enough quality CBs, especially when facing the Clots twice a year. So I'm left to wonder two things: 1) Casserly may never have intended to keep Glenn once PB was signed, and 2) if granting him a release within a week was so classy, why didn't Jamie Sharper get that treatment?
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #32
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 446 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile
Yup...and we kept hearing that you couldn't have enough quality CBs, especially when facing the Clots twice a year. So I'm left to wonder two things: 1) Casserly may never have intended to keep Glenn once PB was signed, and 2) if granting him a release within a week was so classy, why didn't Jamie Sharper get that treatment?
1) The team could have intended to keep Glenn, but once he said he would rather play elsewhere than have is playing time reduced, they had to go with a different plan

2) Timing: Since this is post-draft, Glenn has less time to latch on to team. So, given no trade deal could be worked out, it makes sense his release would happen more quickly in order to give him a better chance to find a good situation.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #33
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile
We may have held onto Sharper hoping to get a draft pick, but once it became obvious that there were no takers, we just released him.

Last edited by michaelm; 04-26-2005 at 08:59 PM.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #34
Nighthawk
All Pro

Not much to say here--C&C bungled the Sharper situation and now the Glenn situation. Play it harder and you get a little something on either of these guys--mid round pick. But no, they have to be earnest little weasels and announce intentions, with the result that we get nothing in return.

How the fanboys around here can continue to support these two clowns (C&C) is beyond me. The only good news is that Capers, at least, will be gone by season's end. Then we can start the real rebuilding.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #35
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
Not much to say here--C&C bungled the Sharper situation and now the Glenn situation. Play it harder and you get a little something on either of these guys--mid round pick. But no, they have to be earnest little weasels and announce intentions, with the result that we get nothing in return.

How the fanboys around here can continue to support these two clowns (C&C) is beyond me. The only good news is that Capers, at least, will be gone by season's end. Then we can start the real rebuilding.
Nobody was going to take those contracts. This is going to be a long off-season with all this whining.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #36
michaelm
vox nihili

Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Nobody was going to take those contracts. This is going to be a long off-season with all this whining.
Thats the point that people aren't getting... it never was about whether or not AG or Sharper are worth a late round pick. They both had contracts that made them completely unattractive to other teams. Exactly the same situation with S. Alexander and Edge. No team wants to eat the big contracts.
I am suprised that no one mentions Alexander and Edge more when they discuss how AG and Sharper were screwed over by the Texans.
Shaun and Edge are being handled exactly the same way, and aren't getting any buyers. I don't hear the faithful around here clamouring about how the 'Hawks and Clots are doing them wrong, and they are both better and more valuable players than either AG or Sharper.
Old 04-26-2005   #37
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thats the point that people aren't getting... it never was about whether or not AG or Sharper are worth a late round pick. They both had contracts that made them completely unattractive to other teams. Exactly the same situation with S. Alexander and Edge. No team wants to eat the big contracts.
Which is what we could be facing with McKinney, Walker, and Payne in the future...
Old 04-26-2005   #38
michaelm
vox nihili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk

I just want to say very clearly, you have no idea what you are talking about.
Play it harder, indeed... that's funny.

Ernest little weasels? A complete oxymoron... here, let me help you with that one...

dictionary.com - oxymoron
Old 04-26-2005   #39
michaelm
vox nihili

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Which is what we could be facing with McKinney, Walker, and Payne in the future...
I would say we will be facing , not could be facing. I think Payne and Walker are safe for this season, but the team may find a way to replace Mckinney and it wouldn't suprise me at all if it happened to him. Not a prediction, mind you, I just won't be suprised if it happens.
Old 04-26-2005   #40
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

If you listened to Glenn on 610 this afternoon, he was pretty clear that he decided there was not going to be enough playing time for all four CB's. He said that Casserly and Capers had been upfront with him all along and had told him at the beginning of the offseason that they would be pursuing a corner and that Glenn was still part of the plan. If they had drafted a corner, that player would have eased into things and wouldn't have been expected to make a significant contribution on defense. However, Buchanon is ready to play right now. Glenn said that the Texans use three CB's in both the nickle and dime packages, usually bringing in an extra safety or a linebacker in the dime package and that whoever ended up the fourth CB probably wouldn't get much playing time at all. Even though Casserly and Capers both wanted him to stay, Glenn decided it was best for everyone if he went elsewhere and allowed the young Texan CB's to get the playing time they deserved.

It really sounded like he made his decision because he didn't want to see Faggins languish on the bench. Not that Glenn was afraid of competition, because he is going to a situation where the Cowboys have Newman at one spot and they just signed Henry to a large contract for the other CB spot. I bet Glenn has spent quite a bit of time tutoring Faggins and his proud to see how the former 6th rounder has progressed from a practice squad guy to someone who could be a quality #2 CB in this league.

After listening to Glenn's interview with Lord and Vandermeer I am even more impressed with Glenn than I ever have been and I am also impressed with the class that Casserly and Capers use in running the Texans.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read