Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-07-2011   #21
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28847 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Phil Taylor: Nothing we can't stop (LOL, really?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That's not the point.

They were saying Colt looked lost, like he didn't belong. He had no OL protection, no running game. no wide receivers, no tight end, no defense getting him a short field...

Matt had it all. Beautiful, huge pockets, a pro bowl tight end, two 100 yard rushers, the best defense in the league, arguably the best line......

& they both completed 60% of their passes, had a QB rating in the 50s..... but Colt looked lost?

Tell me that's not haterade.
Are we really talking about stats comparing the two yesterday, though? Schaub went 4-4 for 38 yards on the opening drive and 1-3 for 12 yards on the 2nd drive (one of the incompletion's was a throwaway). The game never got closer than 14-3 after that and Cleveland couldn't stop the running game.

I agree. The stats are comparable. Colt went 14-22 for 146 yards a TD & a INT, to Schaub's 14-23 for 119 yards & a pick. The difference I see in the two though, is Cleveland's offense needed Mccoy to show up with a double digit deficit the entire afternoon, whereas Schaub was playing with a lead and Houston was running the ball down Cleveland's throat. The stats are comparable but the level of play isn't.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #22
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Ah thats right ..... Guess they'll have to get it done against TB this coming week.

Tate was a monster yesterday .... dude reminds me of .... #34.

My Old Avatar....

How I have missed thee...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #23
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28847 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

A quote from Kubiak in the post game thread to go with my point. It wasn't the fact that Houston couldn't throw the ball yesterday, it just wasn't needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubiak View Post
HEAD COACH GARY KUBIAK
(on if the Browns were doing a good job covering the wide receivers) “I don’t know. Going into the game they were very good against the pass, as a defense, and they had struggled against the run. I came out throwing the ball; I think I threw it the first four plays of the game. I didn’t sense that we couldn’t throw the ball, if that what you’re asking me, but I just felt like once we got going we controlled the line of scrimmage and they were going to struggle against our defense. Time to do the right thing for us to go get another win.”
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #24
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's not the point.

They were saying Colt looked lost, like he didn't belong. He had no OL protection, no running game. no wide receivers, no tight end, no defense getting him a short field...

Matt had it all. Beautiful, huge pockets, a pro bowl tight end, two 100 yard rushers, the best defense in the league, arguably the best line......

& they both completed 60% of their passes, had a QB rating in the 50s..... but Colt looked lost?

TK I agree...

I think Matt is a good/sometimes really good QB, but I think that some other QB's if put into the situation that the Texans have would look a lot better than they do with their current teams.

If we would have switched QB's for the game yesterday we would have still won. Colt would have looked better, Schaub worse.

I don't want to say that Colt is equal to Shammy but I will say that it is kind of inconsistent to judge them as individuals and say Matt was good yesterday and Colt was not.
Old 11-07-2011   #25
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 78404 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's not the point.

Colt isn't all that bad, and had Matt really wanted/needed to throw, his stats would have easily eclipsed Colt's. Heck we threw at least one away trying to get Vickers a TD...that's directly from Schaub.
Old 11-07-2011   #26
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147080 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's not the point.

The Browns offensive scheme is horrible and the personel around Colt is horrible.

He's not a Manning , Brees or Rodgers type of QB but I dont think he's near as bad as many like to believe. His performance is more a product of his surroundings than his individual failures. Put him on a team with a solid OL and better options at WR and RB and he can be successful like Hasselbeck and others have over their long careers managing the game and not making mistakes.

If you watched all the pressure the Texans put on him he seldom had a check down option .... the protection schemes were horrible and they didnt call many plays designed to take advantage of the pressure put on by the defense.

I really dont believe you can assess McCoy as a QB until he has some help.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #27
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58892 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is what I didn't get. We have fans in this thread saying Colt didn't look like he belonged in the NFL. Yet he had none of the benefits Schaub had... OL Protection, running game, defense, big lead.... & they had the same stat line. More or less.

Schaub was running out of the pocket for no reason, throwing the ball away when he had open receivers.

I guess Schaub just looked better sucking than Colt did.
There were a couple of plays where Schaub threw the ball away way before he needed to. He seems to get rattled when he gets flushed out of th pocket or his first couple of options aren't open. That along with kubiaks shortcomings making in game adjustments are what I fear will be our undoing in the playoffs.

Hopefully this easy schedule will allow us to keep winning and in turn grow as a team and develop a chemistry that can overcome these flaws. Its going to be hard though because we are talking about the two leaders of the team. But who knows stranger things have happened. All there is to do now is sit back and enjoy the ride with our fingers crossed.
Old 11-07-2011   #28
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's not the point.

Browns had miserable protection schemes...awful. He didn't have much help out there from the line, the skill guys or the coaching staff imo. The Browns blitz pick up package/hot read adjustments were as bad as any I've seen this year. Its like this was the first time they have ever seen something like that (S blitz).

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #29
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

To me the difference between Schaub and Colt was context.

Schaub was playing a no-mistake game. His job wasn't to make big plays to cover up the weaknesses of the defense, his job was to take no risks and get us out of bad plays.

And that's what he did.

Colt, however, was in the other situation. He had to force it. He had to make big plays, he needed to make completions, he needed to score TDs. And he didn't.

So this is one of those times when you can be misled by the stats.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #30
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
To me the difference between Schaub and Colt was context.
right. And the context was different because Matt has the better team around him.
Old 11-07-2011   #31
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147080 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
There were a couple of plays where Schaub threw the ball away way before he needed to. He seems to get rattled when he gets flushed out of th pocket or his first couple of options aren't open. That along with kubiaks shortcomings making in game adjustments are what I fear will be our undoing in the playoffs.

Hopefully this easy schedule will allow us to keep winning and in turn grow as a team and develop a chemistry that can overcome these flaws. Its going to be hard though because we are talking about the two leaders of the team. But who knows stranger things have happened. All there is to do now is sit back and enjoy the ride with our fingers crossed.
This team is 6-3 is currently the #2 seed in the AFC playoff bracket , the #6 scoring offense and #3 scoring defense in the NFL .....they have done this without AJ for 5 games , MW for 4 , Foster for 3 , Walter for 1 and Manning for 2+ games ..... and you still want to ***** about Kubiak ?

His offensive schemes have guy's like Dreessen and Casey with 16+ ypc averages in the absence of #80 .....

Kubiak has done a hell of a job this year .... despite dealing with so many injuries to key players.

Yeah , anyone but Kubiak in 2012.

Old 11-08-2011   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
This team is 6-3 is currently the #2 seed in the AFC playoff bracket , the #6 scoring offense and #3 scoring defense in the NFL .....they have done this without AJ for 5 games , MW for 4 , Foster for 3 , Walter for 1 and Manning for 2+ games ..... and you still want to ***** about Kubiak ?

His offensive schemes have guy's like Dreessen and Casey with 16+ ypc averages in the absence of #80 .....

Kubiak has done a hell of a job this year .... despite dealing with so many injuries to key players.

A little early to be making excuses eh?

Old 11-08-2011   #33
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post

There were times he threw it away early, but with a huge lead why not? What does he gain taking a hit to deliver a ball up 24-3? nothing. Just live to punt. Save taking shots for close games.
Old 11-08-2011   #34
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:

People need to own up and be fair. If you are going to get on Kubiak for throwing a challenge flag (something he is almost a bat in the dark about given how the system works) then they need to give him credit for designing plays that have OD, Dreesen, etc. without a defender within 10 yards. Wide freaking open on play design. It is seriously astounding how wide open our receiving targets have been in AJ's absence.
Old 11-08-2011   #35
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Browns had miserable protection schemes...awful. He didn't have much help out there from the line, the skill guys or the coaching staff imo. The Browns blitz pick up package/hot read adjustments were as bad as any I've seen this year. Its like this was the first time they have ever seen something like that (S blitz).
No doubt! They never made any adjustments either, which was strange to me. Watching Reed go completely untouched was ridiculous.
Old 11-08-2011   #36
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
People need to own up and be fair. If you are going to get on Kubiak for throwing a challenge flag (something he is almost a bat in the dark about given how the system works) then they need to give him credit for designing plays that have OD, Dreesen, etc. without a defender within 10 yards. Wide freaking open on play design. It is seriously astounding how wide open our receiving targets have been in AJ's absence.

Yep...

Kubiak and Wade have been excellent this season....

Really, I've never had a problem with Kubiak as a playcaller..
Old 11-08-2011   #37
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Thats the amazing part .... You expect those guy's to be forgotten about or single covered when #80 is on the field drawing all kinds of attention but then again , we forget how many times this same scheme has gotten AJ himself open without a defender within 10 yards .... His play design has been nothing short of spectacular this season.

If not for a drop by Vickers against the Raiders ..... when he was wide freaking open they would likely be the #1 seed sitting at 7-2 .... but lets blame that drop on Gary he's the scapegoat for any and every mistake this team makes.

The man could win it all this season and some people would still be calling for his head.

Old 11-08-2011   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
There were times he threw it away early, but with a huge lead why not? What does he gain taking a hit to deliver a ball up 24-3? nothing. Just live to punt. Save taking shots for close games.
Could've sworn we saw a bunch of 24-3 type games end up being 30-24 type losses.
Old 11-08-2011   #39
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
...they need to give him credit for designing plays that have OD, Dreesen, etc. without a defender within 10 yards. Wide freaking open on play design. It is seriously astounding how wide open our receiving targets have been in AJ's absence.
I'll say this.

I had no idea we had the no 6 scoring offense until I read Corrosion's post.

This is not the offense I want to see. This is not what I think about, when I think WCO...... but it's working, so I'll keep my mouth shut about the offense from here on out..... won't say another word about Schaub... well, maybe one more but I don't know if this is the right thread.
Old 11-08-2011   #40
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
This is what I didn't get. We have fans in this thread saying Colt didn't look like he belonged in the NFL. Yet he had none of the benefits Schaub had... OL Protection, running game, defense, big lead.... & they had the same stat line. More or less.

Schaub was running out of the pocket for no reason, throwing the ball away when he had open receivers.

I guess Schaub just looked better sucking than Colt did.
I need to pull this statement back.

Colt did look lost, very lost. I was upset with Matt throwing the ball away. It was a conscious effort on his part, which killed his QB rating.

Not my style of football.... extremely cautious if you ask me. Just saying I was wrong with my earlier comparison.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read