Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-07-2011   #81
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: All right, it's time to revisit this. Who here is really glad Bob didn't fire G

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
As for Wade being Bob's pick for DC, i still don't know if that is true or just a blind lack of faith in Gary's decision making... As i've pointed out before, Gary and Wade have crossed paths a couple of times in the NFL, and Bum has always publically praised Gary so maybe there's a good relationship with the family there.. Unless someone shows me the proof and i'm 100% sure that Bob made that decision, i won't blindly rule out Gary's role in it... For all we know Gary may have wanted Wade a long time, but Wade chose a HC gig...
Gary simply doesn't have that kind of stroke. Gary shouldn't have been anywhere near the table where Wade Phillips was being discussed.

Do you think Bob said, "Gary, I'm going to have to let you go" & Gary said, "Wait, I can bring in Wade!"

No way. The way Bob & Bum had been rubbing elbows all season... I don't think that's the way it went. I think Bob & Bum were smoking cigars & Bob said....

"I don't know what to do, I like Gary, but I can't keep him around after this."

Bum.. "I know what you mean.... if only my son were the head coach of this team."

Bob: "Hey, that's not a bad idea, didn't he get run out of Dallas?"
Bum: "Yeah... that AH wouldn't know a HC if he won him back-to-back Super Bowls."
Bob: "His reputation has taken a pretty big hit though... "
Bum: "Don't worry about that crap, meet him, make up your own mind."
Bob: "I couldn't do that, if the media found out, that would only make it more difficult to keep this team together."
Bum: "Well, I could find out for ya, let me call him up."

Bum makes phone call.

Bum: "Well, I'm sorry, Wade says he isn't interested in being a HC ever again. But he'll take the DC job if you find a decent HC."
Bob: "Do you think Gary is a decent HC?"
Bum: "Hell no.... "
Bob: "Well, let me call Cowher... tell him to get started putting together a staff."
Bum: "Whoa... I mean yeah he's not just a decent HC.. heck he's a fine HC, other teams would kill to have a HC like Gary."
Bob: "Oh, so you think that would be the right thing to do?"
Bum: "Cross my heart."

Old 11-07-2011   #82
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Lol, thunderkyss.

You could be right, man, but we don't "know", so i won't ignore it could have been Gary...

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using Tapakeg

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #83
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
Lol, thunderkyss.

You could be right, man, but we don't "know", so i won't ignore it could have been Gary...

Tapped "submit" before i was finished, i wanted to go a little further...

Wade was hired three days after the last game of the 2010 season (Jan 5th)... Wade ws sent packing by Dallas during the 2010 season... What are the odds that Wade boxed up his belongings in Dallas and immediately sent them to a vault below Reliant? I think the decision could have been made as soon as Wade was bumped in D...

Maybe it'll take this team winning a super bowl to find out exactly what happened in some NFL Films special on the Texans...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #84
TexansBlood
The CUSH!

Section: 140
Rep Power: 8759 TexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All right, it's time to revisit this. Who here is really glad Bob didn't fire G

2 Field goals on the second half of yesterdays game, only Gary Kubiak would be pleased with that.
TexansBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #85
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I will say that Kubiak's play design is second to none. He sets up plays 1-2 games in advance. He lost his best player on his team and has still found a way to get upper level production out of whats left.
Old 11-07-2011   #86
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I disagree. It's not time to revisit McNair's decision. Nothing's been decided, one way or the other. It is time to enjoy the Texans 1.5 game lead in the AFC South.
Yep. Baby steps with this team. First time in a decade that this franchise has been 3 games over .500.

6-3 is just a stop on the journey. The Texans have arrived nowhere and earned nothing at this point. 6-3 can end up 13-3, but we all know it can also end up 6-10.

I think it will be somewhere in between, most likely with an AFC South title and another first for this franchise, the playoffs.

However, I'm not going to crown Gary until he earns it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I'll revisit at the end of year, until then I am enjoying the Son of Bum's impact on the team.
I agree. This is the kind of defense that makes me love watching football. Finally, after so many years of seeing them flounder, we have a D that other teams not only respect, but most likely fear.

All Hail Wade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Folks, the Texans are doing great this year because of Wade Phillips, an easy schedule, and the rest of our division sucking. The only think Kubiak is responsible for in those three reasons is our easy schedule because of the Texans record last year.

I still don't like him as a head coach, his short comings are being hidden by other factors that are making both him and the Texans look good this year. But, that being the case, I'll take it. Whatever it takes to get the Texans in the playoffs and winning games is good. But it doesn't mean I'm going to just drop my feelings about Kubiak and start dishing out love for him as our head coach.

It's possible to cheer for the Texans and want them to win a Super Bowl but still dislike certain aspects of the team. You guys know that's true because of our history with the Oilers and Bud Adams. I love the Texans, but not Kubiak, and that probably isn't going to change anytime soon.

GO TEXANS!!!!!
Great post, man. Re: the bolded - I always figure it's like being a citizen. You can love your country but disagree with your government.
Old 11-07-2011   #87
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBlood View Post
2 Field goals on the second half of yesterdays game, only Gary Kubiak would be pleased with that.
LOL. I'm pretty freaking pleased with it, too.

Up by 21 points at halftime, we got the ball 3 times in the second half. We went on a 7+ minute drive and got a FG. Then we went on a 6:33 minute drive and got another FG. Then we got the ball with 4:47 minutes left in the game and we went on a 10 play 4:47 drive to end it.

THAT is how you win football games. You jump out to an early lead and then you grind out the clock with the run game. That is called choking the life out of your opponent and I will take it (and the 30-12 score) every game.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-07-2011   #88
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Alot of things could happen before this season ends but it sure looks like the Texans could make the playoffs. I still don't think Kubiak is a great head coach. He is probably a good offensive mind though. Let's say the Texans make the playoffs but don't make the SB. I don't think it is feasible to fire Kubiak but I would SERIOUSLY look at getting a real GM. I think with Smith you have a Kubiak disciple. I think you need another view point in the FO other than the Denver viewpoint. Also this move allows you to be ready in case you do need a HC in the future.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #89
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Up by 21 points at halftime, we got the ball 3 times in the second half. We went on a 7+ minute drive and got a FG. Then we went on a 6:33 minute drive and got another FG. Then we got the ball with 4:47 minutes left in the game and we went on a 10 play 4:47 drive to end it.

THAT is how you win football games. You jump out to an early lead and then you grind out the clock with the run game. That is called choking the life out of your opponent and I will take it (and the 30-12 score) every game.
I hope Kubiak gives the two field goals "barely passing" marks.

I suspect it would have taken two touchdowns on those drives to make him "pretty freaking pleased".
Old 11-07-2011   #90
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 119762 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

THATN is how you beat the likes of Brady, Rothlesberger, RIvers, etc.... in the playoffs. You do NOT want to be in a shootout with the Patriots or Steelers.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #91
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
Alot of things could happen before this season ends but it sure looks like the Texans could make the playoffs. I still don't think Kubiak is a great head coach. He is probably a good offensive mind though. Let's say the Texans make the playoffs but don't make the SB. I don't think it is feasible to fire Kubiak but I would SERIOUSLY look at getting a real GM. I think with Smith you have a Kubiak disciple. I think you need another view point in the FO other than the Denver viewpoint. Also this move allows you to be ready in case you do need a HC in the future.
Problem with firing Rick Smith is, look at how he handled free agency. The guy was a sheer and utter genius. He had a plan, and executed it within days. He juggled Aso's people, then pulled the plug on that, then immediately signed Jonathan Joseph. Logistically, that's not easy to pull off. But he did.

Even if Wade told him, "Ok, go get player X", Rick has to make it happen. That's not easy when you're going after top guys in a free agency period that lasted about a week.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #92
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro-Texan View Post
Well said! I'm sure some out there would almost smile at a loss if it meant Kubiak would get canned, but I like what he is doing. We have a couple of hometown coaches getting it done. If we do go deep into the playoffs I'm sure all will be forgiven by most. There are some who will never be happy. Last season people were all worked up that Seatle was in the playoffs with a new coach, but it was just a mirage, they still suck. We have players out performing their talent because of good coaching and time in the system. Keep Kubiak!
I agree with your post!

Personally, I've been saying that Kubiak isn't the best HC out there, but unless you know for sure you can get a proven one like Bill Cowher, you keep Kubiak and his offensive system.

I still wonder why a combo of Dom Capers and Gary Kubiak was never in the card back then!?!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #93
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
THATN is how you beat the likes of Brady, Rothlesberger, RIvers, etc.... in the playoffs. You do NOT want to be in a shootout with the Patriots or Steelers.
Exactly!
Old 11-07-2011   #94
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Great post.

I give Wade SO much credit for the way the defense is playing and the success of our season through 9 games. However, football is the ultimate team sport. One reason they're playing so well is the Offense is giving them a ton of time to rest. Our T.O.P. per game is 33+ minutes, we're 12 seconds from being 1st in the league (we're #2). We're an incredibly good rushing team and our OL is playing well. We're having long drives, we're milking to clock, our defense is getting rest and they're putting a lot of pressure on the opposing QBs.

We're scoring on offense and having extended drives. On defense, we're applying pressure, stopping opposing offenses and creating turnovers.

This is a very good TEAM this year.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #95
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Problem with firing Rick Smith is, look at how he handled free agency. The guy was a sheer and utter genius. He had a plan, and executed it within days. He juggled Aso's people, then pulled the plug on that, then immediately signed Jonathan Joseph. Logistically, that's not easy to pull off. But he did.

Even if Wade told him, "Ok, go get player X", Rick has to make it happen. That's not easy when you're going after top guys in a free agency period that lasted about a week.
I think Rick Smith has done an acceptable job!
It looks to me like McNair finally accepts the fact that "you have to pay to play".
Old 11-07-2011   #96
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I hope Kubiak gives the two field goals "barely passing" marks.

I suspect it would have taken two touchdowns on those drives to make him "pretty freaking pleased".
The point is that it limited the Browns to 3 possessions. The most they could have scored was 21 points. 21+6 > 21.

Touchdowns would have been better. Longer drives would have been even better. But by limiting the opponent to 3 possessions, it made it impossible for the opponent to win.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #97
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I agree with your post!

Personally, I've been saying that Kubiak isn't the best HC out there, but unless you know for sure you can get a proven one like Bill Cowher, you keep Kubiak and his offensive system.I still wonder why a combo of Dom Capers and Gary Kubiak was never in the card back then!?!
Um...

1) Nothing is guaranteed. Not even Bill Cowher returning and being an outstanding coach (though I think he'd be better than Kubiak).

2) That's loser talk. I reject the notion that there's no other better coach out there. Using your logic, you are essentially saying that Gary Kubiak is the best coach in the NFL. That's not true.

3) There are clear, specific metrics in sports. Five seasons without one playoff appearance clearly qualifies as a failure.

4) It's about collecting talent. Why do you think there's the old draft day adage of "Draft for best player on the board, not for what you need"? It's because you can collect talent here and there and worry about putting the talent together later. This is an EXTREMELY talented football team, and has been for the last couple of seasons. A new coach would have come into the building to find - TALENT.
Old 11-07-2011   #98
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

The one factor that you cannot take for granted is that the Texans never quit on Kubiak. No matter how bad things have been, they give him 100%. I remember Dom losing people, I see other coaches losing people, and Gary never has.

Also, if we have continued sucess, don't be shocked if you see more teams do the Offensive head coach and dDefensive head coach typpe thing we're doing.

Last edited by BigBull17; 11-07-2011 at 12:29 PM.
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #99
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

at this point in time it looks good keeping Gary around, but I give more credit to Wade's hiring which Gary was forced to do practically at gunpoint.

I just want to know why it took 6 years for us to hire a competent defensive coordinator. This is a good year so far (peyton or no peyton) but that doesnt excuse the previous 5 years of fail.

His propensity to hire cronies/friends and his paranoia about bringing 'outsiders' in has retarded the growth of our franchise and wasted 2 good years of offensive football. I am happy with the season but this almost makes me more angry to see how good our defense has been. We have had the talent all along...just a bunch of retards at DC that got the job because they were Gary's friends and/or they were cheap. That is the only way these guys would have been considered.

But all that crap is in the past but I am just pissed we wasted all those years trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. Plus I am sure AJ isn't really happy that it took 6 years to install a defense worth a shit.

Keep up the good work, Texans. Even you, Gary. No meteoric falls at the end of the year and we could be 10-6 or better. That sounds pretty good right about now.
Old 11-07-2011   #100
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
The one factor that you cannot take for granted is that the Texans never quit on Kubiak. No matter how bad things have been, they give him 100%. I remember Dom losing people, I see other coaches losing people, and Gary never has.
That is very true, and I will give Gary that. His players love him to death. There's something to be said for that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read